• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly SC/NC Brawl Tournaments at GamersEdge

Dagani

Smash Cadet
Gamers Edge Cafe in Fort Mill, SC hosts weekly Brawl Tournaments every Thursday.

Signups start at 6:00, we usually do some practice matches until about 6:30 if anyone is feeling rusty, then the tournament starts.

Depending on how many people show up, we have either a single elimination MLG rules tournament or a double elimination(when there are less people) MLG rules tournament.

First tournament at Gamers Edge is a free entry, after that its $5 a tournament.

First prize is 3 hours of game time.
Second prize is 2 hours of game time.
Third prize is 1 hour of game time.

More information and directions to Gamers Edge Cafe are available at our website, www.gamersedgecafe.com or you can call 803-802-9350.

After the tournament stick around for a bit of rematching and 4-player fun.

Occasionally the owner will have extra, themed games with different prizes, but only if people stick around.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
how does every SC tourny manage to be so far away from me :-p. Also MLG hasn't released any brawl rules yet so its rather unclear what you mean by that I'd assume just the more standard no items, 3 stock but it probably wouldn't hurt to clarify.

If theres one with special prizes (ideally cash even if its pot based (like 10 dollar buy in 70% 1st 20% 2nd 10% 3rd)) be sure to post it up I'm sure several players from around here would be willing to make the trip occasionally.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
i would like cash prize tournaments

how does every SC tourny manage to be so far away from me :-p. Also MLG hasn't released any brawl rules yet so its rather unclear what you mean by that I'd assume just the more standard no items, 3 stock but it probably wouldn't hurt to clarify.

If theres one with special prizes (ideally cash even if its pot based (like 10 dollar buy in 70% 1st 20% 2nd 10% 3rd)) be sure to post it up I'm sure several players from around here would be willing to make the trip occasionally.
i agree and also if im paying your store to play in a tournament that **** well should be free then i want money in the end not paid for game time for games i could play at home if your making money then i want money as well if i were to win I WANT MONEY not game time to a store I DONT EVEN LIVE NEAR by the way your FREE game time prizes are not free because people PAID FOR IT THROUGH THE TOURNAMENT *******ES

smashplayer16

Smash Ace
I emailed them to tell them to change it up a bit, and this is what i got

Hi Marcus,

We appreciate your feedback!

We have just recently posted on smashboards.com of our weekly tournaments. Our weekly tournaments are more casual, so the prizes will not be as big especially since it is weekly. We do however, plan to hold quarterly cash tournaments! The next tournament will be a team tournament.

The next tournament for cash prizes is Rock the Band '08 with a generous prize giveout of 90% cash pot!

The next major tournament (cash prize) will be a Smash Bros Brawl tournament (teams) will be announced the day of Rock The Band '08. We follow a similar ruleset as Gigabits (MLG rules) with counter-picking and such. The last major Brawl tournament had ~25 people show up with only 1 month of internet-only marketing and major store credit prizes. With the next tournament being cash prizes, we can only imagine how many will show up!

STAY TUNED! Your wish will come true!

--
Dylan Hunt
Owner of Gamers Edge
The Future of Gaming
www.gamersedgecafe.com
803.802.9350 (Store)
803.370.3342 (Cell)

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
If cash is presented as a prize, I'm sure attendance will go up nicely.

Dagani

Smash Cadet
Yeah, sorry guys, I'm just a volunteer there desperate for more new people to play against. And, like Dylan said in the email, our weeklies are more of a casual, training matches kind of tournament.

And in case no one has mentioned the Play N Trade ones coming up in the same area, on June 21st the PnT at the Blakeney shopping center in Charlotte is have a 2v2 Tournament with 1st prize being 70% of the cash pot.

And there is an as of yet, unconfirmed(to my knowledge) tournament at the PnT in Pineville, NC on June 28th.

I apologize for not being completely clear on the way the weekly works out, I didn't really think about people getting all bent out of shape in regards to it, I just wanted to play against more people.

Mega_$m@sh

Smash Journeyman
no offense, but why are you making people pay for a tournament that gives away game time. I mean people why are the players helping the store make money while they stay broke it makes no sense to me i think the "training matches kind of tournament" should be free to all who want to play and cost nothing. the reason i want a money tournament is because you guys are charging us to play in the event. like I said if the store makes money then i want to make money as well, but if its free ill play for free

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
no offense, but why are you making people pay for a tournament that gives away game time. I mean people why are the players helping the store make money while they stay broke it makes no sense to me i think the "training matches kind of tournament" should be free to all who want to play and cost nothing. the reason i want a money tournament is because you guys are charging us to play in the event. like I said if the store makes money then i want to make money as well, but if its free ill play for free
I understand what your saying and I think you're right. If you are gonna charge $5 (most tounrneys entry fees are $3-$7 anyway) you should have cash prizes. They don't even have to be big. maybe like; 40% to 1st place> 20% to 2nd place > 5-10% for third place.

I know your probably thinking "Well we'd make less money and that's not cool."

Actually overall you'd probably make more money because more people will show up. and more people=more money. And then the people will be happy cause they get money too!

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Honestly I think this is a decent area for SC Brawl tournaments. The area is around 1 hour away from Columbia, around 2 hours from Greenville, and around 3 hours from Charleston which are the main areas where Brawlers seem to be around IMO. Not considering a slight speed over the speed limit that the normal person would do.

If you can get there to be good size number of people and if you can promise a solid prize people will consider coming. You're basically telling them to come down from a few hours drive just to play smash and drive back. That's wasted time (driving) and with the wasted money (gas). I'm sure people will really consider going to these tournaments, but you need to a GOOD prize.

Alright, there's a tournament that I am hosting in North Charleston, SC coming up really soon. Tuesday, August 12th, as a matter of fact. It's short notice so please forgive me. Check and it and please let other know!

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184830

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Alright, there's a tournament that I am hosting in North Charleston, SC coming up really soon. Tuesday, August 12th, as a matter of fact. It's short notice so please forgive me. Check and it and please let other know!
I've already decided that I'll be coming to your tournament, and I'll be bringing three others with me.

Right now, we're all trying to talk the owner into holding cash tournaments, but he's a ***** and doesn't realize that it means more money for him, that doesn't mean he won't come around eventually, though ;)

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
zCasanova,

Awesome, that you can come. :)

Please be sure to visit the link and check on it often to see if something has changed. I have the tournament set to Tuesday, August 12th, but I can pull it to Monday, August 11th it that works better for people.

I would also like input what you think is good or bad. One concern I have about the tournament now is that the Fun Doubles! Tournament's prize is two $25 GameStop Gift Cards. Someone pointed out that people may rather want cash instead. So input on something like that is welcome.

Please also post on the thread on how many you think you will have.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
I would also like input what you think is good or bad. One concern I have about the tournament now is that the Fun Doubles! Tournament's prize is two $25 GameStop Gift Cards. Someone pointed out that people may rather want cash instead. So input on something like that is welcome.
Charge $10 for singles, and $20 for doubles ($10 each person), then distribute the cash to the winners. I doubt ten extra dollars will keep people from coming. Most people who travel to tournaments only go for the chance to win cash, anyway.

That way, you can wipe the door fee, or keep it for yourself. That's how most places do it, no reason to waste your door fee on gift cards, just keep it and charge for the pot.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Charge $10 for singles, and $20 for doubles ($10 each person), then distribute the cash to the winners. I doubt ten extra dollars will keep people from coming. Most people who travel to tournaments only go for the chance to win cash, anyway.

That way, you can wipe the door fee, or keep it for yourself. That's how most places do it, no reason to waste your door fee on gift cards, just keep it and charge for the pot.
It would be nice if you post this in the thread with the tournament since it will pertain to that tournament. It also will keep it bump. :)

I had to review the mindset of the people in this area and talked to some locals when I decided whether the standard fees and prizes were a good idea when I decide on them.

Trust me I can give you a long explanation and good reasons on why the prizes and fees are the way there are now. However, it would be a long post, but if you're curious you can AIM me or e-mail me and ask.

Again, please post anything related to the tournament on the thread with the tournament.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Yeah, is this still going on?
These happen every Thursday of every week.

849 Stockbridge Dr.
Fort Mill, SC 29708

Time: 6:30 p.m. -- people usually show up at 6'ish for practice/friendlies.

Fee: $5

We usually have about 15 people show up each week, the only downsides are that we're still trying to convince the owner to hold a cash tournament, and there is no official rule set--it's been different every time I've gone.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
08/07/08 results

8/7/2008
32-man bracket

1 Devin (Marth)
2 NEO (ROB/MK)
3 KACK (IC)
4 Crio (Random)
5 JMan (Sonic)
5 ARS (Snake)
7 Seth (TL)
7 Wes (ROB)
9 ETHAN (Olimar)
9 Diddy (MK)
9 Jason (Diddy)
9 Billy Taylor (?)
13 Jonjoh (MK)
13 Tyler Flenore (?)
13 Luke Abrigo (Link/Ike)
13 ANT (Link/Fox)
17 Ryan Nall (Ganondorf)

Neb

Smash Lord
8/7/2008
32-man bracket

1 Devin (Marth)
2 NEO (ROB/MK)
3 KACK (IC)
4 Crio (Random)
5 JMan (Sonic)
5 ARS (Snake)
7 Seth (TL)
7 Wes (ROB)
9 ETHAN (Olimar)
9 Diddy (MK)
9 Jason (Diddy)
9 Billy Taylor (?)
13 Jonjoh (MK)
13 Tyler Flenore (?)
13 Luke Abrigo (Link/Ike)
13 ANT (Link/Fox)
17 Ryan Nall (Ganondorf)
Keep it up guys!
Try to host one somewhere near Blythewood, ><.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I rock 3rd place :)
ggs everyone, these tourneys are really fun :D
And yes, more cash prize tourneys would be nice, maybe 3 times a month
I'll post a thread for this on Brawl Central tommorow, and maybe on allisbrawl

Top Bottom