• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Best moment of Brawl: Playing the Subspace Emissary. When my brother and I picked it up, we started off playing the newcomers in Stock matches, then we turned to the solo modes to play some Classic, but we discovered the new adventure mode instead. Needless to say, we did not stop playing that mode! We beat the whole thing in one day and unlocked all the characters while experiencing one of the most enjoyable co-op gamemodes.

I remember when I first saw Wolf. I played a lot of Fox and Falco in Melee, so I was naturally excited to play the new Star Fox character. And what do ya know? He became my main! :D

Brawl was also the game that convinced my Sony-loving Best Friend that Nintendo games are actually fun, so much that he bought his own Wii to play at his house, lol.

Although Brawl wasn't received well on a competitive level as Melee, it was the perfect thing for my friends, brother and I to enjoy a great game of Smash.

P.S. Hey Meta Knight ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Holy **** people actually speaking good about Brawl on Smashboards o.o

Must be a full moon out.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
By far the most hyped I've been for a game. I was going nuts when Sonic & Snake got announced. Finally, Mario & Sonic will face off in a battle for the ages. But when the game was released, I was very disappointed by it's mechanics. It was way too slow and the trip mechanic would happen at the worst possible time. But Brawl did have some pretty cool features though that kept the game fun. I don't see Brawl as a competitive game like Melee or the other Smash games, but it's a joy to play as a party game.

When I heard about PM and it's mechanics being like Melee, this is how I pictured Brawl to look like when I was speculating. This is the real Brawl. High speed action with crazy combos. I hope the PM community hangs in there because this game has mad potential. PM Mario in 3.2 was my dream as a Mario main. My only complaint with him in 3.5 is his lack of priority. A bit too pill heavy, but still fun to play none the less.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
SSBB is probably my 1st or 2nd favorite in the series, only competition being SSB4 (I haven't played Melee, so it's at 3rd, with Smash 64 being in 4th). The only reason being that it had my 3 favorite characters of all the series, R.O.B., Mr. G&W, and Ice Climbers. Although both SSB4 and Brawl had good rosters, I'm not sure as to which I favor. Smash 4 was definitely my more hyped game, but that's because I had no idea what Smash was at the time of Brawl's release until I played it at my cousin's house. Either way, Brawl was still a great game, and I continue to play it for things like SSE and all the cut veterans who didn't make it into Smash 4.

And regarding Project M (flame shields up), I don't really like it. It wasn't Sakurai's vision for the game, so why can't we just play the game that he did envision? If you want faster gameplay, play Melee or Smash 4. You want to play as Snake or Wolf? Play Brawl. Or, just play Smash 4, which is a great balance between the two, except for the fact it doesn't have Ice Climbers. But, that's just my opinion, which I know isn't in the majority. That is all I have to say here.

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
SSB4 hasn't yet surpassed Brawl as my favorite game in the series yet. It probably will when some of my friends get off their butts and get the game so we can play online, but still, Brawl holds my fondest memories of playing way too late into the night and morning.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
People may have bashed Brawl but it was a good game.
Totally. It still works OK in tournament play with some characters, but Brawl is incredibly fun for casual play. All items, Temple only, random character selection.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You know, I wonder what things would be like if Brawl and Melee's playstyles had been reversed. If the first of the two had been slower-paced and heavily defensive, and the second was a huge contrast, with a stalemate-heavy neutral game interrupted by moments of hyperaggressive attack strings. Would the community still feel the same way overall? Would there still be the same vocal minorities tearing into people for liking something they dislike?

It's a fascinating question.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
The music was easily one of the best parts of this game. Special mention goes to the Metal Gear tracks, which obviously aren't in 4 because... Copyright laws. Calling to the Night is just awe inspiring.

I mean, seriously, some of the music in this game is so epic it sometimes seems completely out of place. It turns a simple fighting game about cutesy little Nintendo characters beating the hell out of each other into something truly spectacular.

But the absolute best thing about this game? The very last scene in the Subspace Emissary, which shows a simple trophy stand lying in the grass, while a long violin sound effect plays over it. It was almost like this was the characters' last hurrah. It seemed like the 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow' of video games.

The character interactions throughout the story were also hilarious, and in some cases, tear jerking. The image of Ganondorf laughing while the ROBs are forced to terminate their master is actually quite nightmarish.

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
Still my favorite game to play competitively, It was my first competitive Smash game and it'll always be my fav

D

Deleted member

Fondest memories of Brawl? I think it's just the online modes. I mean, sure, they lagged a lot when playing matches, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I loved the roster and I remember the Dojo drove a lot of hype. Sure there was hype for Smash 4 as well but it was only around the major announcements. I am growing to like Smash 4 better but I miss some of the Adventure/SSE modes you see in Melee and Brawl. Smash 4 would have been perfect it had been given more development time and they had focused on only a Wii U version.

Negatives: Stages (too many stage hazards), slower nature (doesn't bother me a lot), bad online setup, and no Megaman.

Last edited:

SuperSmashMaster43

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashMaster43
3DS FC
0259-0610-0101
Why do Melee fanboys say brawl is a bad game. Brawl isn't a bad game, it's just that you don't like it and because it's not melee

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
I 've played this thing competitively for 5 years and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Project M may be my main game now but Brawl will always be MY game :3

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Smash 64 will always be smash 64.
Melee will always be Melee.
Brawl will always be Brawl.
Sm4sh will always be Brawl but better.

The two last games in the series are very similar, which takes away pretty much all reason to play Brawl.

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Even though i feel SMASH 4 is the best in the series pacing wise because it found a healthy in between Melee and Brawl while satisfying both audiences! But brawl was what got me so into smash because i thought it was phenominal and i still do! You were fun brawl!:D

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
One thing that's for sure, though, is that Brawl has the by far best buffering-system in any smash.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
apparently people here don't seem to understand that the people hate competitive brawl and not the whole game. I personally hate it competitively, but on a casual level it was definitely a very fun experience. the challenges and single player adventure had me hooked, and once I beat all that and had nothing else to do, I discovered unlimited possibilities in modding it. starting with unlimited double jumps and stacking super mushrooms, it got me into creating my own recolors and soon after I found fun alternate versions like Brawl+ (RIP), Brawl - , and PM.

Recess

Smash Rookie
Even tho I don't play it anymore Brawl was my first smash game and will always be my childhood favorite.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
apparently people here don't seem to understand that the people hate competitive brawl and not the whole game.
People always complain about Brawl's competitiveness, but claim that makes it a **** game overall, making it sound like they hate the whole game.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
People always complain about Brawl's competitiveness, but claim that makes it a **** game overall, making it sound like they hate the whole game.
Its like playing Mario Kart on 50cc. Its like driving with Grandma.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
It's not Brawl anymore it's Smash-4 now. Melee dudes now know Brawl was a little technical and Smash-4 was a walk in the park.
Smash-4 has pivoting, jump cancelling, ledge hugging, and enough character exploits that require practice and skill without breaking the game. Brawl has tripping, mass floats, and enough game breaking exploits to require extensive banning for competitive play. Brawl was fodder to a money machine while Nintendo was marketing itself as a family-fun entertainment console that parents felt safe purchasing for their living rooms.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Smash-4 has pivoting, jump cancelling, ledge hugging, and enough character exploits that require practice and skill without breaking the game. Brawl has tripping, mass floats, and enough game breaking exploits to require extensive banning for competitive play. Brawl was fodder to a money machine while Nintendo was marketing itself as a family-fun entertainment console that parents felt safe purchasing for their living rooms.
Why the triple post?

Anyway, Brawl just didn't worked out competitively. It's not a bad game, people just like offensive playstyles instead of defensive ones.

The real flaw of Brawl wasn't even the gravity, it was the imbalance between offensive and defensive options. And Meta Knight.
Melee and Brawl were both kid-friendly. As with most Nintendo games.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Brawl has everything Smash-4 has and more like the famous Platform cancel and Shield drops. Lastly, for God sakes the "tripping" is really getting old become more educated in your analyzes.

There is one concept I will write to hush you up however; Brawl was ever "nerf-ed" and re-fixed more than ten times and yet the game just sucks. If you honestly think that game requires any fundamentals then you're right, but oh where can you find it?

Brawl but dumb-ed down! ANYONE could grasp the game in a few hours max. Now Brawl however, not so much; till this day people are STILL finding new work and Smash-4 hasn't only dumb glitches and such. I always check the new work if any to brush up on the "new" ATS Smash-4 carries, no.

Everything is just recycled scraps from Brawl. Now, continue and I will REALLY get in deeper. I've played the game and I disliked above all people and I can tolerate bs but that, no just no.

Last edited:

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
wolf will return im praying hard, just probably getting a better model 4 him

Top Bottom