• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Diddy Kong

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4394923#post4394923

thread showing diddy players tourny placings

Nanerz seems to be the only one to get 1st

think this type of topic could be useful in other character specific forums?
Hey, I totally stickied that yesterday :D

And Diddy isn't doing too bad in other parts of the US it seems. Although he's nearly never seen in the midwest (AFAIK).

By the way, this thread is quite interesting if that sort of stuff is up your alley: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Diddy is a creative and fast opponent with multiple options for approach and recovery. His main weakness is that he can't get KOs, but with his wonderful approach it may be that he doesn't need them! Seeing as how KOs appear quite quickly against the lighter characters in the game, we may see Diddy taking out the really light and floaty characters with relative ease in the near future!

Pressure is the name of the game with this chimp. If he's giving it all he's got, you're hard pressed to find a way to slip inside his banana fortress. On the flipside, if you manage to gain control of his bananas or can stop his "flow", Diddy has a hard time getting started again. He is definitely a momentum player, so it is likely we will only see high level Diddy's do any damage at the tournament scene.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
As soon as I saw the new thread was up, I decided to wait for your synopsis before I left to study. Like always, well done OS.

Everything after this post is general discussion!

Revven

FrankerZ
Although he's nearly never seen in the midwest (AFAIK).
That makes me happy and sad at the same time. On one hand, I'm a Diddy main in the Midwest and if there's hardly anyone that does play Diddy in the midwest it means that I'm a rarity, on the other that means that Diddy is extremely unpopular in the Midwest... Bah.

But, anyway, after much experience with Diddy Kong I have to say that it is pretty hard to kill people with him if you've already used his fsmash more than once. Funny thing about that is though, when my fsmash doesn't kill, the ftilt does instead for me! :laugh: Yes, the ftilt is definitely good to do. I rarely ever use the dtilt though...

But, the best part about Diddy is his banana games. They're SO good if used properly. Glide tossing helps a lot too, and sets up for some nice combos and possibly spacing (if you roll away and throw forward). I <3 it.

Hackiroth

Smash Rookie
I lost to a Diddy in the first tournament I played. I don't remember the bananas, only a blaze of fist that I could not get past....

Other than that, that was the only good Diddy I saw. (The guy was late for our match, because he was busy dominating King of Fighters or something like that.) Master Terry Boguard, and you will master Diddy?

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
I've played Diddy Kong for awhile now, (as far as brawl terms go) and I do see him having some problems with various things. First off is his inability to spike certain characters such as D3, and Ike. Those two particularly because of the way their recoveries work and their weight. The next thing is the double-edged nature of bananas, as stated, they can easily throw an opponent's game off but if they change control it can easily sway the game. A major problem with Diddy Kong however is how easily he is intercepted by G&W, Meta Knight, Pit and other characters who can intercept Diddy Kong when he is trying to recover. Sure they'll get hit by the jetpack, but they'll usually survive.

Diddy has some major things going for him though, I'm tired now though,... more in the morning.

Player-1

Smash Legend
TBH, i can spike Ike's and D3's easier than most characters. Ike won't survive a spike unless he's around 10% damage and does immediate up b, like right when you hit up b. Personally, if my opponent controls the bananas, i get them back in seconds. The jet pack is another story, i try to hang back where diddy is barely on the screen and start charging, it usually works.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Obviously the banana's are great to rack up damage and keep your opponent on the defensive, but I usually prefer keeping one banana out a time, just so I have got some more variety in my attack. I mostly play ROB, so perhaps I'm treating it as more of a gyro with glide tosses to approach and deal damage than to hinder movement and "banana-tech-chase". I've had better luck with gimp kills as opposed to knocking the opponent out of the blast zone, but I've mostly played online so that could explain away why I'm having a better time with that.

One neat trick for recovery is if you are blasted high into the air you can charge a neutral b facing away from the stage and let go once Diddy starts quivering. You'll get some serious horizontal momentum (albeit with some vertical loss! Honestly, I don't have many qualms about his recovery, he has an up-b with pretty good range, a side-b that acts as an extra jump, the popgun trick I mentioned earlier, and he can scale up stages using his wall cling/jump.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
As a Diddy main, I've found him to be an extremely fun, extremely useful main, who's main strength, which has been said, is in the naners.

Diddy is fast, all of his aerials can juggle or kill, and his side-B is **** (no pun intended)

However, the bananas are VERY easy to have turned on you, any skilled opponent I've faced is able to do this with ease, but then I would say (as I'm not INCREDIBLY skilled at timings) that catching them or grabbing them and throwing them back is your best bet, which isnt hard to do.

Sort of like banana tug of war.

Anyone who'd like to see other good Diddy, namely one who makes excellent use of the barrel-spike, dair spike, and bananas, check out pa0ol's Diddy Kong King vids. I was very impressed by them.

Sad to hear Diddy is not popular in the midwest. Maybe that will change with time, who knows?

S2

Smash Lord
It's true that a good opponent is going to be able to use your bananas against you, but keep in mind that their usefulness is still based on the matchup.

Diddy has a distinct advantage in that his dash-attack doesn't really slow him down, allows him to pick up bananas, and is still a decent attack (for a running attack). The key advantage is that you can easily pick up any banana thrown back at you, relatively safely - since it doesn't have long lag afterwards or slow down your momentum (continue on the offensive, etc).

Not every character has that type of running attack or gets that much out of snake-boosting (or whatever alternate name you call it). Someone like DDD loses this advantage because his running attack has big time lag at the end. He has to run up, stop, and pick up the banana or use an alternate form of item catching that slows his actual offensive down. There are lots of characters who either have to avoid the banana, stop to pick it up, or pick it up with a slow dash.

So banana spamming on those types of characters is certainly more useful than say, using it on Snake. Who has a running attack similar to Diddy's in that he is relatively safer than most after using it, so its easy to pick up bananas. Not to mention he can smash-boost over them if you time it right, the running attack picks up the banana as you cancel into your upsmash, so you can throw it when your done with the boost.

Obviously any good player is going to try to throw banana's back at you, but who you banana spam against is going to make a difference. The quality of their running attacks and smash-boosting makes a difference in how well they can counter you.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I have to say S2 said it the best =). The bananas are good against people like those slow dash attacks, and less effective but still good on the ones with the good. But like i said before, if they do get my bananas, i personally can get them back with ease, because of diddy's dash attack and aerials.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
However, the bananas are VERY easy to have turned on you, any skilled opponent I've faced is able to do this with ease, but then I would say (as I'm not INCREDIBLY skilled at timings) that catching them or grabbing them and throwing them back is your best bet, which isnt hard to do.
Keep your nana's grouped in two, makes it very difficult for the opponent to turn them against you, even if they catch one nana, you should already be throwing the other for a free opponent with your dash attack.

That said, it also helps just to throw the nana straight down if you think they will try and grab it, dthrow, watch them wif, then actually throw it, or dthrow, watch them wif, dash attack, and then whatever else opens up (tons of possibilities, you still have a nana near you afterall).

Nana spamming is hampered most by characters with projectiles. After that, if your smart, you can keep nana's in your control just following a few rules of thumb (my personal rules of thumb may not apply to everyone, so I won't bother, but keeping them grouped is the best advice here).

Also, Diddy's dash attack ***** people trying to ledge hop, just dash attack into the ledge for auto-ownage (obviously this isn't true against all characters in all scenario's, but give it a try against a character like Lucario or D3 and you'll see what I mean).

Vro

Smash Lord
Diddy's dash > up smash is too good, almost always chaining both attacks into one string. His great aerial game and quick nature will easily make him a favorite to Melee players.

His most defining characteristic, the bananas, is a double edged sword. Although they're the best for pressuring, the game's emphasis will dramatically change when they're placed down. This can be used to Diddy's advantage, not just for making the opponent slip on them, but watching the opponent's behavior around them. Is he trying to dash attack to pick them up? The bananas grab immediate attention of your opponent, and I find that when Diddy's metagame grows more, the bananas will make less people slip, but rather be used in Diddy's spacing, forcing opponents to watch their step, or force their opponents to grab them.

He has a great recovery as well. His Up B can spike, altho situational. His side B is an amazing asset as well. With the ability to choose to use an A attack, giving Diddy an approaching, high priority, sex kick or the ability to space, or the ability to latch, is just too good. The Diddy hump is great for gimps, but I'd imagine players will start seeing it from a mile away.

I'm surprised no one mentioned he can do double B-Airs from a short hop, while landing with almost no lag. Altho the attack may not combo into another B-Air, that approach is very strong. His D-Air is a great spike as well.

I don't agree with Diddy's strongest weakness is getting kills. Altho it may be slightly difficult, most of his kills will come from edgeguards. Diddy hump, double B-Airs, F-Airs, or a D-Air spike will all be helpful. His D-Smash is very quick and able to kill around 130%.

His strongest weakness may be his weight. Even tho he can recover from the edge of the screen with ease, he may be knocked too far each time, killing him. DI will be very important for his survival.

Smash Ace
It's good to see that my favourite character and main, Banana, is getting some love. He's so underplayed.

Anyway, the analysis so far has been spot on, in my opinion. Yes, we know that bananas are a double-edged weapon, but if played well they're a double-edged weapon that you control. Yes, you will get cut from time to time, but the net effect is in your favour if you know how to keep them under control, and how to punish your opponent for picking them up.

Incidentally, does anyone know if D3 can pick up a naner while grabbing? If so, keeping one behind you to stop him from chaingrabbing won't work very well. I've never really fought a good D3, but those that I have played against get tripped up easily by bananas while chaingrabbing. Pretty much the only time the cg successfully is when they shield-grab me while I'm not expecting it, and hence don't have a well-placed banana.

His dash attack is awesome. It doesn't get enough recognition, perhaps because it isn't used like we intuitively think of a dash attack. It's not really an approach, by itself. The real approach begins with a banana throw, and Diddy's dash is an excellent lead into combos. Dashing straight at someone without a naner to cover you is easily punished because the move has low priority and low reach.

One last thing. I see people using side-b as an approach, or part of a combo, way more than they should. If you kick, the hit lag is so small that they can often counter attack before you recover. Good spacing (ie not landing right next to them) helps here, but it will almost never set you up for a good attack. If you don't kick, it's easy to hit you out of the side-b because you don't have the kick's awesome priority. It's not a bad combo finisher, if you can get it off, because it deals decent damage. It is not, however, an approach. Don't use it like one.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
What Diddy has going for him is most definately his dash -> Usmash combo. In fact his dash is just plain amazing for his style of fighting. When used in tandem with the double-edged sword, it leads to an opponent who doesn't know what hit them. His aerial combat is one of the better ones for a speedy character (I actually like it's power more than MK"s combo potential) and leads to a character suited for combat against bulky opponents (no matter how bad their super armored recoveries get). His combat against fellow lightweights is also good. Planting two bananas next to one another throws a wrench in their plans of chasing you through hell's half acre. Diddy Kong is simply put, a well rounded fighter capable of being used as a main and a possible counterpick.

I'd also like to meantion that diddy doesn't seem to get screwed over by Final Destination.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Playing Diddy is almost like playing Melee Peach; you trap people with your projectiles and you have to win a battle of attrition to win since your kills kind of suck.
interesting comparason. except personally i think Peach had more potential for quick KO's than Diddy. Diddy to me is more of a combo king. Wall of pain kinda character.

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
Im so upset, i have 3 hours of diddy vs all of my friends matches but they are stuck on dvd burnt vhs! i dont know how much my opinion is worth, but i play everyday for a decent amount of time with other good people in my area and seriously win 95% of the time. just to give my 2 cents on a few things, everyone is really underestimating how easy it is to control a banna andf not get it turned on you and to ko. diddys down smash kos at 120 ish on mediums and around 10 on lights, (just estimates) and his nanners can set up for a semi charged fsmash which has decent ko potential. spike is another posibility. my three stock matches last under 2 minutes with skilled players when i am on, i nanner throw into grab, grab hit once, throw over edge in fd, short hop, spike ledge guard, 23% ko. its ridiculous, if i ever get my dvd to get on my com and i can edit i will put up a bunch. diddy is the sleeper cell, he destroys snake, d3, and TL, (characters that are considered above average)

EDIT: after watching some diddy vids i havent seen on this thread the only thing i think is being done too much is bananas. they are super good, but diddy has so much combo potential just throwing two naners is a waste. useing one just to open up for thrwo spikes or dash upsmash or dash back air or naner fsmash or nannerSHfair or anything instead of throwing another bananna but w/e just IMO

Vro

Smash Lord
Incidentally, does anyone know if D3 can pick up a naner while grabbing? If so, keeping one behind you to stop him from chaingrabbing won't work very well. I've never really fought a good D3, but those that I have played against get tripped up easily by bananas while chaingrabbing. Pretty much the only time the cg successfully is when they shield-grab me while I'm not expecting it, and hence don't have a well-placed banana.
IIRC I don't believe D3 can chain grab you. Diddy slides too much, giving him enough time to jump + airdodge or roll. And I don't believe you can grab a character and pick up a banana with the same grab animation. (Grabbing an item disables your ability to grab a character; vice versa)

Playing Diddy is almost like playing Melee Peach; you trap people with your projectiles and you have to win a battle of attrition to win since your kills kind of suck.
I agree. Altho the bananas aren't used the same way as turnips, they're both pressuring projectiles unique to their character.

Smash Ace
D3 can chain grab Diddy, according to this thread and my experience. I'm working on getting the instant grab-break down, which can hopefully kill all sorts of grab infinites, but it's hard to do.

Vro

Smash Lord
Thanks 2.72, my bad. So I guess bananas are a good counter against his chain grab.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
D3 can chain grab Diddy, according to I'm working on getting the instant grab-break down, which can hopefully kill all sorts of grab infinites, but it's hard to do.
I'm curious... how do you instantly break the grab? I've seen my friend do this to me a couple times, but I'm not sure how it works.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Ive also seen grabs broken almost instantly at high %s, but I have no idea how its done, or even if its repeatable. I hope so. im tired of getting chaingrabbed by D3

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Finally, one of my characters!

One thing I haven't seen commented on as a mixup is using a regular banana/smash banana (tossed out at higher trajectory) as a weapon during the initial toss. This is effective at zoning, especially after a dthrow, especially against characters who have a lot of air DI and will try to attack immediately after the grab.

Another use for the same thing is edgeguarding.

The setup for this takes more of the patience you spoke of, SPanda. Basically, if you judge the opponent to be far enough away, grab one of your bananas and toss it out at them, or toss it straight down. This will free it up.

Then face away, and depending on their return trajectory, throw a normal/smash banana from the ground/air. This performs proper zoning. Not to mention that some people will actually try to concentrate on grabbing said banana, to the detriment of safe recovery.

For a little fun, try landing a banana on a cypher.

As far as the pit matchup being tough, I disagree to some extent. Diddy can move very well horizontally through the air, and with proper timing, can disrupt a barrage of arrows. I've used the popgun to this effect before against a camper.

Lucas, for me, is a pain because of his dominating air game. PK Thunder is an immediate dair killer, though properly tossed bananas falling on his head during PK Thunder are mega-effective.

Btw, my roomate plays Snake, and we decimate teams as Diddy/Snake (not as good as our Gdorf/Snake, but that's another story). The key to team play is that I can rack up damage, with Nikita support from Snake, and I can also zone properly to aid in fSmashing.

bacun

Smash Rookie
Overswarm! We meet again. We gotta play some more this summer when I have wifi again, I've improved slightly. SLIGHTLY.

Anyway, call me crazy, but my money's on Diddy for top tier. He has dominant approaches (>b, dash'n'smash, bananas), an amazing spacing game (...bananas...), a great spike, strong instant aerials, etc. I rarely play him, but among my friends, the only ones who can beat me barring freak accidents are the diddy mains. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but **** I loathe him so.

Smash Ace
I'm curious... how do you instantly break the grab? I've seen my friend do this to me a couple times, but I'm not sure how it works.
I had assumed that this was common knowledge because I've been more or less gone from the boards for a while, but apparently it's not.

Press R (or the shield button if using non-standard controls, I assume) right as you are grabbed. An amazing metaknight player called WOPL showed me. I haven't been able to do it reliably, but it certainly is reproducible. I saw him break one of my grabs like that.

I'm surprised that this isn't bigger news. It certainly seems like a few people are at least vaguely aware that it can be done, even if they don't know exactly how. If it something that can be easily mastered, this has the potential to negate all chain grabs (and perhaps open up a lot of stages that would otherwise be banned). If someone has recording equipment and can make a video of it, I would be appreciative. It might also help remove the gimp on Snake, make non-chain grabs even more worthless, and do a lot of things that I haven't anticipated.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I had assumed that this was common knowledge because I've been more or less gone from the boards for a while, but apparently it's not.

Press R (or the shield button if using non-standard controls, I assume) right as you are grabbed. An amazing metaknight player called WOPL showed me. I haven't been able to do it reliably, but it certainly is reproducible. I saw him break one of my grabs like that.

I'm surprised that this isn't bigger news. It certainly seems like a few people are at least vaguely aware that it can be done, even if they don't know exactly how. If it something that can be easily mastered, this has the potential to negate all chain grabs (and perhaps open up a lot of stages that would otherwise be banned). If someone has recording equipment and can make a video of it, I would be appreciative. It might also help remove the gimp on Snake, make non-chain grabs even more worthless, and do a lot of things that I haven't anticipated.
If you doubt this, or just want to start practicing this, start against Yoshi's grab. There is a larger window for it, and it's very noticeable.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Wow, thats awesome. Yeah, my friend did it a couple of times and I was like "Wtf... how did you get out of it so freaking quick...?" But he didn't know either. This really has a huge amount of potential, as was mentioned. I'm interested to see how much this changes how the game will be played in the future.

havocnetwork

Smash Cadet
I just started to use diddy and I am amazed at how well he can recover after aerials. He is like a mini-wolf imo because he has some pretty tough attacks. I love his dsmash and I love all his aerials. i also like his dash attack

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but Diddy is nothing like Wolf.

1. Diddy has an awesome and flexible recovery, Wolf has a crappy recovery.

2. Diddy's attacks are very quick/weak/small range, Wolf's are slow/strong/big range

3. Diddy has two very quick and spammable projectiles useful to set up combos, Wolf has one slow powerful projectile with very limited range.

4. Diddy is pretty floaty and maneuverable in the air, whereas Wolf is very heavy in the air.

I guess they sort of have some similar traits (B-Up that can kill, good aerials, mostly all offense, have some confusing movements). But they have so many huge differences... I just don't see how you could say Diddy is like a mini-Wolf. That just makes no sense. The two characters are played in completely different ways.

Its fine that you like both of those characters, I'm just saying they really have very little in common.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Agreed with doctor t, except that i don;t see how the peanut gun can be spamable =/, and Wolf's neutral b can be, but not as well as a falco.

Vro

Smash Lord
3. Diddy has two very quick and spammable projectiles useful to set up combos, Wolf has one slow powerful projectile with very limited range.
Agreeing with Player-1, Diddy's popgun should not be used as a reliable projectile. It's very easy to catch, can be thrown or eaten to restore health, and has terrible trajectory. Not very spammable in my opinion

paOol

Smash Apprentice
aww, i missed out on the whole discussion >_>.

o well, diddy hump ftw.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Basically,
1. Diddy is quick and lag with lots of almost no lag attacks.
2. Diddy's smashes kill around 120% and diddy's aerials ****
3. Banana's ***** but don't over or under use them.
4. Diddy's recovery owns but if you get hit far away or low (mainly low) then your screwed

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
Wow after reading this thread I'm seriously considering giving Diddy another chance. I first just tried him out for fun just so I can annoy my friends with the bananas. But I ditched him for Wolf & currently Lucas. I might just have to test the little monkey out more before my tourney comes up!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Im still suprised no one uses him alot. Everybody is so combo-thirsty for things similar to melee, and diddy can somewhat bring it (or at least as much as you can in brawl). He can do so many amazing things and even out alot of seemingly bad matchups, but you have to be creative.

First the pros of diddy. He is pretty fast, both running and attacking. None of his attacks have much noticable lag before or afterwards. Especially his dsmash, which is almost as fast as Mario's and Wolfs. He has a great aerial game, with both a bair that can be done twice in a short hop, and a fair thats a kill move. Couple this with his amazing recovery, both with his chargable upB that can reach from off of the screen on FD back to the ledge,and his side B (which you can still do an upB after a sideB), it makes him one of the best chasers. he also has three spikes (dair, sideB --> jump, upB). I'd also like to note that his throws have some great knockback, especially fthrow. On the ground, his bananas have the potential to pretty much determine any match by themselves. Diddy can make insane Lucario-type comebacks with proper use of two bananas to keep an opponent slipping. For his speed, he has great killing power. And most imporantly, hes an adorable little monkey. Cant go wrong there

For cons, he has two big ones. First is his approach. Without a banana, diddy's approach game is both terrible and easily punishable. If an opponent is just standing there and not on their *** from a banana, both of diddy's approaches (dash attack, sideB --> kick) are easily shieldgrabbable. Even worse is if you try a SHFair and its blocked. While it doesnt have any noticable lag in the air, it has a lot of afterlag if you land on the ground before its finished. In fact, every air move except bair has afterlag if you lag on the ground before its finished, but these moves shouldnt be used as approaches on ground characters anyway. Another con can be his bananas. Any smart person will eventually figure out how to use them against you. This is terrible at the time, but great for the long run. Eventually as a diddy player, you will run into enough players that try to use your bananas against you that you will learn to avoid your own bananas when someone else is using them. It helps that diddy can get his bananas back in many ways:
-Just instant dash attack (slam control stick then c stick to dash attack as soon as you move) when they throw it at you, if you are running, a dash attack will catch a banana thrown at you. You can dash attach either backwards or forwards, depending on the trajectory of their throw
-Air dodge if you are already in the air. Any aerial will catch it, but i think air dodge has the largest window, could be wrong
His final con is range/priority. While his smashes are all quite fast, they dont have the greatest priority, and his little monkey arms/legs dont give him too much range (Aside from his ftilt, which is just awesome in range).

I think his best matchups is against anyone that doesnt have a reflector or great projectiles. This means that Diddy is in a bad situation against spacies, snake, and Pit.

One thing i wanted to talk about alittle more is diddy's killing power. Diddy has been graced with one of the best recovery and aerial games in brawl. For this reason its that diddy's ground smashes weren't made to kill right off. If you want to kill with diddy, you absolutely have to chase, and with the tools you have been given, there is no excuse. At any decent percentage, you can kill by simply dsmashing/fthrowing them off of the stage (since they have the best horizontal trajectory), then going out and doing whatever you feel like basically. You are equipped with 3 different ways to spike them, a fair thats insanely fast and is probably 2nd-3rd overall his his horizontal trajectory moves, and a recovery game that will get you back to the stage from almost anywhere. If they make it on the ledge, you can kill them when they are at about 60-70% by just stage spiking them like alot of chars can. for diddy, its just running off and bair them while they are hanging on the ledge and their invicibility frames run out. Thats not really char. specific though, but diddy can also do it. If they are really close to the stage, you can hang on the ledge yourself, hit back to let go, then do a jumping dair while DIing backwards to do a spike. You'll spike in an open space level and to the side of the ledge, and if you're fast enough you can DI back to the ledge without having to use any recovery moves. Facing a MK or pit that you just spiked but he's coming back with his 4-5 jumps? Hit down to let go of the ledge and then upB when when you are right above them. It will spike them and send you back up to the ledge. If you time it right (the letting go, the up B, the re-grab of the ledge) you will have invicibility frames the entire time.

The last thing i wanted to add was diddy's peanut gun. If this projectile was any better, Diddy would simply be overpowered. On a simple scale, it can do some ok damage when charged (17% when fully charged). Its best use comes from its aerial control. First, since its so ridiculously easy to catch an item while in the air, most of the time while people arent trying, you can shoot a peanut at them while your opponent is in the air and coming towards you. If they catch it, its over. Now they cant do any A-moves until they throw the peanut, and its a giant flag saying "Hey, look at me, i cant use half of my moves, attack me!". And if they dont catch the peanut and get hit by it, it opens a window for you to go and use an aerial attack (fair) almost immediately after they get hit by the peanut so they cant airdodge. But, possibly its greatest use is its aid in killing power. Simply, the peanut is a gimping machine. See Ike charging his sideB to get back? Charge your peanut gun and aim to hit him in the air while he is coming back, the peanut will hit him, and his sideB will stop right then and there. Of course, he can then still upB, but that wont do any good. See a falco/wolf/fox falling and getting ready to sideB? hit them with a peanut before they do it and they will usually drop below the line in which they can still side B so they will have to upB. If you get a space animal upBing to recovery, alot of the times they arent gonna make it.

Anyway, im done. I dunno if the official site-wide discussion is still going for diddy, but here's my part. In general, to be good with diddy, you have to
-Chase people. dsmash/fsmash wont do it alone until they are ridiculously high%. You have many ways to chase. dont be scared
-Glide toss whenever beneficial. sometimes its good to just regular throw you know, but learn to glide toss so you can do it when you really need to
-Realize the peanut gun was not made for damage. It was made for gimping recoveries and creating openings (making them catch it) for when you dont have a banana, since approach is a problem.
-Learn to regain control of your bananas. Because its stupid to think they wont gain control of a banana or two. Best method is instant dash attacks when you know its coming.
-Use two bananas. One is great, but get into a routine of using two. Also remember you can still use B moves while holding a banana, so dont be afraid to stall someone by shooting a peanut before throwing a banana.
-Be creative. Straightfoward the entire time isnt gonna work while playing diddy
-go to tourneys. That'll increase your skill level so fast its not funny

Player-1

Smash Legend
I don't see why he is bad against snake, i usually can beat any snake. His grenades i can easily catch and throw back and his recovery is so vertical easy spike

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
I personally think that Diddy can go toe to toe with snake. With Diddy'd constant banana pressure game he forces Snake into close range combat. But while Snake obviously has the strength advantage Diddy has the speed allowing him to do a hit & run strategy which will allow you to take advantage of Snake's lag but this is just my opinion, I've yet to actually fight a good Snake since none of my friends like him.

GameDragon thanks for the super long post. U stated alot of really great things about Did's gameplay. Although I read all that stuff before it's nice to see it all in one post from someone that really understands the character.

I just have one quick question. Does Diddy have any vertical KO power besides his spikes?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i say he is bad against snake because snake's projectile game outranges diddys. Since you can pick up a banana with anyone's dash attack, snake's dashing upsmash that goes across a large chunk of any level not only can get your banana, but bring snake close to you. Snake being close to you, despite popular belief, is a bad idea. Diddy isnt exactly heavy, and snake's ftilt is a kill move. Let me say that again so it can seep in

Snake's ftilt is a kill move. One of his fastest moves in his entire moveset, a move that is the same speed as about any of your moves, can kill you

All of snakes melee moves have priority/range on diddy's moves, but thats especially true in the air. Snake is easy to gimp if he upB's close to the stage, but many good snakes upB way ahead of time and fall from the top to land on the stage, so they cant get grabbed out of their upB and fall to their deaths.

and worse of all, snake is one of the heaviest chars in the game. Due to his recovery, its hard to kill him horizontally until he is in the high 100s, and diddy has no vertical kill power onstage besides an uair that wont kill snake until your regular smashes will, which is the 190s. while snake is ridiculously easy to spike/footstool, most snakes upB while not close to the stage so they can land on stage without the risk of being spiked/footstooled/grabbed while recovering

but yea, like someone said, not make chars have an easy time against snake

Top Bottom