• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Diddy Kong

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well like you said his projectile's do outrange diddy's, and the banana thing is true, but like i said i like to use snake's stuff against him like grenades and mines which i can usually get him off the edge to spike around 120's, but i have only versed 3 or 4 good snake's and only 1 or 2 times of each of them. The banana thing i usually don't use as many as i do against snake's for that reason and also because snake's glide throw has a long range. I'll keep my range short enough for me to attack before he can pull grenades or laauncher out but long enough to be out of Ftilt or Fsmash range.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
i say he is bad against snake because snake's projectile game outranges diddys. Since you can pick up a banana with anyone's dash attack, snake's dashing upsmash that goes across a large chunk of any level not only can get your banana, but bring snake close to you. Snake being close to you, despite popular belief, is a bad idea. Diddy isnt exactly heavy, and snake's ftilt is a kill move. Let me say that again so it can seep in

Snake's ftilt is a kill move. One of his fastest moves in his entire moveset, a move that is the same speed as about any of your moves, can kill you

All of snakes melee moves have priority/range on diddy's moves, but thats especially true in the air. Snake is easy to gimp if he upB's close to the stage, but many good snakes upB way ahead of time and fall from the top to land on the stage, so they cant get grabbed out of their upB and fall to their deaths.

and worse of all, snake is one of the heaviest chars in the game. Due to his recovery, its hard to kill him horizontally until he is in the high 100s, and diddy has no vertical kill power onstage besides an uair that wont kill snake until your regular smashes will, which is the 190s. while snake is ridiculously easy to spike/footstool, most snakes upB while not close to the stage so they can land on stage without the risk of being spiked/footstooled/grabbed while recovering

but yea, like someone said, not make chars have an easy time against snake
QFT. And, I guess all I can say is that against Diddy's banana peels I find the most effective way to grab them being the air dodge, which even works on peels that are on the ground. Putting his banana peels back on the ground is kind of pointless since his dash attack is so good, he will probably just pick it back up again anyway, you're better off throwing it upward, at him, or even off the stage. Even that's better than just putting it down.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Well like you said his projectile's do outrange diddy's, and the banana thing is true, but like i said i like to use snake's stuff against him like grenades and mines which i can usually get him off the edge to spike around 120's, but i have only versed 3 or 4 good snake's and only 1 or 2 times of each of them. The banana thing i usually don't use as many as i do against snake's for that reason and also because snake's glide throw has a long range. I'll keep my range short enough for me to attack before he can pull grenades or laauncher out but long enough to be out of Ftilt or Fsmash range.
I guess you havnt experienced it yet. Alot of snakes around here at least, prime a grenade, and either throw it cooked so even if you catch it, it explodes before you can get it back at snake, or they prime a grenade, drop it by shielding, roll back, and use the nakita. then throw in primed grenades here and there by holding onto it or throwing it down so it bounces up and acts as a shield if you try to pressure. Any snakes i face dont use land mines, but they use a craload of C4, stuff you cant really turn around on him, unless he puts it on you and you get it back on him before it goes off, or if it just HAPPENS to explode due to how long its been out and hes near it

even though they say its a bad matchup, i have the best chance against a snake while playing my lucario. My diddy just gets ROFLpwned =(

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I don't have much problems against snake. He's sooo easy to combo, and Diddy ***** him off of the stage.

Anyway, Diddy is an awesome character. he doesn't have broken 70 percent kills but if you are mindful of DR, killing is easier than you think. a full power f-smash can kill medium weight characters at around 100, and full power upair can kill at low percentages.

Bananas are spectacular,a nd glide tossing is like wavedashing almost.

I think his worst match ups are Metaknight, Pit, and Kirby. Mainly due to their priority. Snake has priority but he's SLOW, easy to gimp, and easy to combo.

trampoline BOY

Smash Cadet
I only read page one of this thread but I'm just gonna throw in my 2 cents.

I am a big fan of Diddy. His flow just works well with my fast SSBM fingers. He is my character in SSBB.

His attacks aren't the strongest out there but they're uber quick, and quick can be a great thing. He's got a beasty throw also, it's real easy to throw an opponent, short hop and smack him with a quick aerial. Diddy's forward C in the air, (the stretch kick attack) is sick. It's great for those quick kills when opponents are floating back to you from a big hit. I also find it easy to start up combos right out of his run-A move. (The roll) There's practically no lag time after it so it's great for an immediate smash move. His get-back is fairly decent with good aim and release control. It definatly can cover a good distance. Diddy also has some trickery up is sleeves with the B moves. I use the gun a lot actually to stun the guy for a moment and then kick him before he knows whats up. Not 100% sure of all the banana tricks as of yet, but I'm practicing them.

Anyway. Im hearing a lot of 'Diddy has no kill hits' and I disagree. Everyone has a kill hit of some type. You just need to utilize the moves well and then you can and will get that kill hit on your enemy. I love Diddy, and he's definatly one of the top players in my mind.

That's all I got for now.

trampoline BOY

Smash Cadet
Oh and one more thing! I love Diddy's ground dodge! It's quick, yet lasting. I use it A LOT against my peers and they can barely get a hit on me. It's always dodge, smack...dodge smack.

I love a good ground dodger.

IDK

Smash Lord
Diddy's overb isn't a "spike". You latch on to them for a duration of time and you both fall together. There is significant hitstun from the move so the opponent is near the bottom of the stage once you get out or diddy uses his jump and it is extremely difficult for the opponent to recover if possible. But that is quite risky because if he misses his recovery isn't exactly amazing and will leave you open for an edgehog.
actually, it is a spike. if you press jump you basically push them down and you jump up. also if you're on the other side then you wait till youre next to the lower part of the stage and you hit b you'll stagespike them.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
^ throw them at someone... or have someone walk over them and they will trip... its your main tactical item as diddy. you must learn to use them... personally i haven't... so i don't main diddy... i just try and counter them

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
Wow nobody has seen this??? I personally hold Diddy AT LEAST low high tier/top mid tier until proven otherwise - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sx25jELFaC8&feature=related

Diddy would've taken this tourney if it weren't for round 3's joke of an ending (watch right before Sudden Death). This is why my bro plays Diddy now, we're entering a tournament soon, me as Toon Link, him as Diddy, I'll let ya know how we both do.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Wow nobody has seen this??? I personally hold Diddy AT LEAST low high tier/top mid tier until proven otherwise - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sx25jELFaC8&feature=related

Diddy would've taken this tourney if it weren't for round 3's joke of an ending (watch right before Sudden Death). This is why my bro plays Diddy now, we're entering a tournament soon, me as Toon Link, him as Diddy, I'll let ya know how we both do.
Yup...thats what most people think about the tier....well any way frowny face at the end of that tournament, but I don't see why that match decides his tier placement

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This guy in the official tier thread thinks diddy is fourth tier. lol

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
Nah I didn't say it decides his tier placement, I said that video is one of the reasons why my bro has been playing Diddy. His tier placement was just my personal opinion which currently is subject to change, but I do think Diddy is pretty solid atm from everything I've played/seen.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This should impact the tiers unless the backroom is full of idiots. But they aren't, so we don't have to worry.:)

Cardd

Smash Cadet
i personally don't like tiers at all, i think it ecourages people playing masses of the same char like falco in mellee, but me as diddy being my main, and finding no one who can consistantly beat my diddy (I lose to falco about 1/2 the time) think if there are going to be tiers set up(Boo) he should be higher up.

preferably no tiers at all though.

G J Cod

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong + Pink shirt + kickbutt opponent = perfect balance of light and dark

blazeboi72

Smash Rookie
what is also a good move is when you run into the enenmy with the A button and upsmash its a great combo but it only works a certain amount of times

saberhof

Smash Master
placing him in tiers already?...do we really know that?...all we know at the moment, who he can take over and who can beat him...this game is very confusing into that matter of tiers, so i just don't care about it...

I love diddy kong, all he has to offer is amazing: Bananas, Lots of good kill moves, good ways of edge guarding, if you survive you will always come back(if you know how)...

theres nothing bad about him, just that hes to light, and can be gimped and hes hard to develop into all his moves and create a real fight scene into the brawl...

And Blazeboi72: that dash canceling move is overrated and everyone can counter it now, by what i know... one great move of approach would be glide tossing a banana onto him then going for the grab or an attack, another way could be the side b then hitting A for the attack, but make shure you are close to the opponent, so you dont get a huge amout of lag...

Theres acttually loads of ways to approach, you just have to know and remember what your opponent will do on certain occasions like watching what he does when you throw a banana or when you do a certain attack...things like that...

soo...mindgames, yeah...

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong is a very good character. I used to use him a lot, before Meta Knight. Meta Knight is just a much better character.

Contrary to popular belief, his banana peel is very useful. If someone is running toward you, you can use it and they will trip. Now here is the trick. You should be able to make them trip multiple times with just one banana peel. They will keep getting up and they will trip again. I do this against other people all the time. If someone does this to you, then recover from the trip opposite the banana peel. Now that you guys know this, you probably won't find this useful, so plant a banana peel behind them too, but make sure that it is in a position where they will trip from recovery.

His up smash isn't very powerful, but his side smash and down smash can send opponents flying at even 70%. His popgun is kind of stupid, but if you hold the shield button in the beginning of it, it will cancel. This is of course called popgun cancel. It works against people that shield often, but still isn't very effective. He has three different spikes: his up b, his side b, and his Dair. his up b only works as a spike from the bottom of the jet blast. If you use his side b, then once it latches on to someone, then press up on the control stick and it will send them straight down. These two spikes are hard to pull off though, so just use his Dair as a spike. His side attacks are pretty strong too.

Overall, Diddy Kong is a good character and I will expect him to probably get high tier.

You probably will notice that I copied and pasted this from another thread that I posted this on. Didn't feel like writing it all up again.

Top Bottom