• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Always nice to see how many female character's support threads are in the Top Rankings here at Smashboards.

Sorting by views and going only by individual threads, we got 2 out of the Top 4, 5 out of the Top 8, and 7 out of the Top 14!

View attachment 272468

Well, appart from the 5/8 bit. Still worth the meme responce.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
Bruh, I just want Dixie Kong. She’s the last member of the modern DK crew to not be in and a popular female. They could literally just make her a Chrom styled echo of Diddy, where she has a new up-B.

As for other females...
I think a Style Savvy Stylist would make for a better joke character than plant as at least she would add a new franchise.

I have always wanted an a Endless Ocean Diver. While not particularly female as it is an avatar, I could still see the potential. Not to mention the fact that you can change the skin tone, so it could act as another black fighter.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
As Female character I'd want I'd love to have Jody Summer from F-Zero, Impa from Zelda and come on LARA CROFT would be damn awesome ♥
Forgot out Impa. I always thought that if they cut down the roster, she should replace Sheik as she is definitely more important than a one time character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Bruh, I just want Dixie Kong. She’s the last member of the modern DK crew to not be in and a popular female. They could literally just make her a Chrom styled echo of Diddy, where she has a new up-B.
well no cause diddy uses his tail a fair amount which dixie doesnt even have so theyd have to change a lot more

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Forgot out Impa. I always thought that if they cut down the roster, she should replace Sheik as she is definitely more important than a one time character.
Eh, Sheik is too important and popular to cut at this point.

Even if she is a one off, she's far and away the most popular Zelda one off and one of the more popular Smash characters.

I say Sheik should stay. Impa should get in regardless. She doesn't need to take Sheik's stuff.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Impa feels like she falls into the category of being the most obvious 4th pick from a franchise (with the top three of LoZ being variations of the Triforce Trio), but like Dixie Kong and & Bandanna Dee, its just not quite enough to get her there.

D

Deleted member

Impa feels like she falls into the category of being the most obvious 4th pick from a franchise (with the top three of LoZ being variations of the Triforce Trio), but like Dixie Kong and & Bandanna Dee, its just not quite enough to get her there.
If the fanbase can appreciate them for one minute, then they could've been at the base roster at this point.

Too bad they get shafted in favor of other "hype-worthy" inclusions of the other gender

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I'd love to see an Impa largely drawn from her Hyrule Warriors incarnation; not only giving direct representation from that game, but also differentiating her from Shiek. Give an emphasis on using her Giant Blade and Naginata for respective special attacks and you'd have an effective character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
a tiny part of me thinks sakurai has something against the zelda series
I really doubt it.

Zelda always gets top billing with stages, items and assists.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

As for other females...
I think a Style Savvy Stylist would make for a better joke character than plant as at least she would add a new franchise.

I have always wanted an a Endless Ocean Diver. While not particularly female as it is an avatar, I could still see the potential. Not to mention the fact that you can change the skin tone, so it could act as another black fighter.
I really want Dixie too but only as a semi-clone or unique fighter.

I really doubt it.

Zelda always gets top billing with stages, items and assists.
That's true but it's kind of not represented well in the character department. half of the characters are Link clones and Ganondorf is a Captain Falcon semi-clone. We haven't had a Zelda newcomer since Brawl and we haven't had a unique Zelda newcomer since Melee. Link, Zelda, and Shiek being the only Zelda characters with completely original movesets. So honestly, we kind of haven't had a true Zelda newcomer at all since Melee.

You can argue with me about this topic, but I'm stating the facts here. We need another unique Zelda newcomer especially one that isn't a Triforce welder.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It feels a bit like Smash is to some degree reflecting Nintendo's hit and miss record in having certain prominent female characters for significant titles. Its telling that it was often second or third parties that were often making or featuring them much more than the in house Nintendo team did.

Rare put Dixie Kong front & center for two DKC titles, created Joanna Dark, and were planning to have Krystal as playable prior to Dinosaur's transformation into Star Fox Adventures. For LoZ every time another company gets a chance to make a home console game they always made Zelda playable: Koei Tecmo with Hyrule Warriors, Brace Yourself Games with Cadence of Hyrule, hell even Phillips with two of the awful CD-I games. By comparison Peach has been playable in mainline Mario two times in 35 years and mainline LoZ once, kind of, in Spirit Tracks

I don't think its a case of Nintendo downplaying female characters deliberately as much as it is other companies seemingly far more keen on taking advantage of the opportunities to do something different than they are.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It feels a bit like Smash is to some degree reflecting Nintendo's hit and miss record in having certain prominent female characters for significant titles. Its telling that it was often second or third parties that were often making or featuring them much more than the in house Nintendo team did.

Rare put Dixie Kong front & center for two DKC titles, created Joanna Dark, and were planning to have Krystal as playable prior to Dinosaur's transformation into Star Fox Adventures. For LoZ every time another company gets a chance to make a home console game they always made Zelda playable: Koei Tecmo with Hyrule Warriors, Brace Yourself Games with Cadence of Hyrule, hell even Phillips with two of the awful CD-I games. By comparison Peach has been playable in mainline Mario two times in 35 years and mainline LoZ once, kind of, in Spirit Tracks

I don't think its a case of Nintendo downplaying female characters deliberately as much as it is other companies seemingly far more keen on taking advantage of the opportunities to do something different than they are.
actually i dont think krystal was playable, in the early screenshots it looked to be a completely different character

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
If the fanbase can appreciate them for one minute, then they could've been at the base roster at this point.

Too bad they get shafted in favor of other "hype-worthy" inclusions of the other gender
Actually the fan base did focus on the three, I think they Nintendo just decided K Rool, Ridley, and Simon were more important. Not to mention that they needed time to implement another Pokémon . I also think it may be Sakurai/Nintendo bias. It was pretty clear from Sakurai talking about K Rool that he doesn’t know much about DK as he was surprised people wanted K Rool, a character that has been popular for a decade. Nintendo themselves are likely also unaware as they treated DK poorly after Rare left and made him a laughing stock on GameCube and Wii. It took their Texas partners to finally bring back the franchise and later undo Nintendo’s removal of popular Kongs like Dixie. I don’t think Dixie not making it was a fan base snubbing her, I think it was Nintendo’s own disconnect with the series.

As for Bandana Dee, he’s a Kirby character primarily from the 2010s. He never stood a chance as all meaningful Kirby content has always been tailored to Super Star or prior Sakurai titles. Outside of a few spirits and some music, Kirby has been stuck in the past since Brawl and his newer titles are rarely mentioned in Smash. Whether it’s because Sakurai pays no attention to the modern adaptation of his franchise, or he just only likes what he makes, it’s clear that under him we will likely not be seeing any modern Kirby stuff that is meaningful.

Finally, I think Impa is sort of caught because she is the 4th member. I kinda believe that Sakurai thinks that only Triforce wielders are important and thus only they can be in Smash. It would make sense as to why Zelda hasn’t gotten a newcomer since Brawl, and a unique one since Melee. I think he sees Zelda as a 3-man-show and all other characters are background.

I think it’s about appeal. I believe Nintendo actually admitted to how they made games and how that changed come the mid 2000s.

If I am not mistaken, they said the Wii and DS changed everything. Before that, they were trying to appeal to boys as that was the audience consuming video games. The Wii and DS changed that as the audience was no longer young boys and young men, as the elderly and females ranging in all age groups joined in. This actually affected the company as they became more aware of their audience and tried to please everyone.

For examples, Smash Wii U was based on the previous console era and look at the characters
Villager (Avatar)
Mega Man (Male)
Wii Fit (Avatar)
Rosalina (Female)
Little Mac (Male)
Greninja (?)
Miis (Avatar)
Pac-Man (Male)
Palutena (Female)
Robin (Avatar)
Lucina (Female)
Shulk (Male)
Bowser Jr. (7/8 Male, 1/8 Female)
Duck Hunt (?)
Dark Pit (Male)

Ryu (Male)
Cloud (Male)
Corrin (Avatar)
Bayonetta (Female)

7 7/8 Male. 5 Avatar 4 1/8 Female

While still male dominated, there are a lot more females and unisex characters on the newcomer roster than ever before. Most of these characters are from new franchises, and if you only look at characters made after 2006 when the audience shift happened, you’ll only find two full male characters, while there are 4 avatars and 3 females. Point is, Nintendo did shift to accommodate females post-2006 and the Smash roster is a good sign of that. Most of the characters there are avatars, characters that are made to be both as Nintendo wanted to give people more choice as their solution to the problem. While not the female center I am sure many on the thread are looking for, it seems like they want to make franchises more general, for everyone I suppose.

I think the problem with females is more so the general audience of gaming rather than the company. The thing is, Nintendo has adapted, it is just in a more general sense rather than pushing one gender. With most of their new IPs since the Wii, the shift is obvious as all of them besides Xenoblade have been using avatars or had two mascots to represent both genders. Splatoon is an avatar centric game, though it places female first. ARMS has Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as mascots, they’ve had multiple Mii centric games, etc.. Even older franchises like FE have gone to this format as all “new“ titles since Awakening have had an avatar.

It is hard to say if Nintendo has failed their females. They are kinda caught between audiences now as the Wii audience is gone, yet many females still remain faithful to the company. I think for the most part they are just trying to sanitize and make things neutral, explaining decisions like Peach and Mario just being friends. The problem is that the core gaming audience is now a majority again, which explains games like Xenoblade 2 and Mario going back to saving the princess after 3D World. I cannot deny that Nintendo is trying to do right, and honestly they are probably doing better than say PlayStation and many other companies that are using females as marketing tools to seem woke, but they could do better.

D

Deleted member

actually i dont think krystal was playable, in the early screenshots it looked to be a completely different character
Krystal was supposed to be the protagonist of an earlier series called Dinosaur Planet. The game was scrapped however and parts of the idea merged with Star Fox Adventure.

How did I know this? I watched Feminist Freqency talk about it yesterday. What a coincidence.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah Rare was pretty progressive for a game company at the time. A lot of their games had female characters as protagonists or co-protagonists: Dixie Kong, Kazooie, Joanna Dark, Vela, Kameo (originally a Nintendo/GCN game), and Berri and Krystal would of fallen under this had their respective games not been morphed into Bad Fur Day and SF Adventures.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo themselves are likely also unaware as they treated DK poorly after Rare left and made him a laughing stock on GameCube and Wii. It took their Texas partners to finally bring back the franchise and later undo Nintendo’s removal of popular Kongs like Dixie. I don’t think Dixie not making it was a fan base snubbing her, I think it was Nintendo’s own disconnect with the series.
well thats not true, dixie was still in several games before DKCTF

Krystal was supposed to be the protagonist of an earlier series called Dinosaur Planet. The game was scrapped however and parts of the idea merged with Star Fox Adventure.

How did I know this? I watched Feminist Freqency talk about it yesterday. What a coincidence.
i know that, the early screen shots i was referring to were from when it was dinosaur planet and the character shown was neither fox nor krystal. upon double checking it seems the character i was referring to was called sabre

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

i know that, the early screen shots i was referring to were from when it was dinosaur planet and the character shown was neither fox nor krystal. upon double checking it seems the character i was referring to was called sabre
Dinosaur Planet was supposed to co-star Sabre and Krystal, yes.

D

Deleted member

Dinosaur Planet was supposed to co-star Sabre and Krystal, yes.
Though I'm more curious as why...

Anyway, I'm adding a link to Feminist Frequency's video game talk as supplementary material.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
I mean, there was an 8 year gap, between appearances. Just like K Rool, her appearances were all over the place. One could never guarantee she would appear, as only Diddy had that luxury for the longest time. Basically, after years of attempts on GC and Wii, by 2008 DK just became part of Mario and with that all his characters besides Diddy were whipped out. His series got its identity removed entirely.

D

Deleted member

I mean, there was an 8 year gap, between appearances. Just like K Rool, her appearances were all over the place. One could never guarantee she would appear, as only Diddy had that luxury for the longest time. Basically, after years of attempts on GC and Wii, by 2008 DK just became part of Mario and with that all his characters besides Diddy were whipped out. His series got its identity removed entirely.
Though I could say Tropical Freeze is a good game in its own right. People are just nostalgic.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
Though I could say Tropical Freeze is a good game in its own right. People are just nostalgic.
?
Not quite sure how this relates. Mind clarifying?
Also, yes, Tropical Freeze is a phenomenal game. I place it and Rayman Legends as greatest 2D platformers of all time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It was Krystal and she was playable in Dinosaur Planet. The whole prologue is practically the same in both Dinosaur Planet and Star Fox Adventures with Krystal riding on her pterodactyl raiding General Scales' ship and confronting him.

Here is hour long beta footage of Dinosaur Planet to prove it:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

?
Not quite sure how this relates. Mind clarifying?
Also, yes, Tropical Freeze is a phenomenal game. I place it and Rayman Legends as greatest 2D platformers of all time.
Either they prefer the Kremlings or not...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i cant find an 8 year gap, there's a 6 year gap, but no 8 year. even then there was still virtual console releases

It was Krystal and she was playable in Dinosaur Planet. The whole prologue is practically the same in both Dinosaur Planet and Star Fox Adventures with Krystal riding on her pterodactyl raiding General Scales' ship and confronting him.

Here is hour long beta footage of Dinosaur Planet to prove it:

if youll check other posts youll see weve already cleared that up

4ZURE

Smash Cadet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So who are obscure female picks y'all think is underrated and more deserving of support? Honestly, I think Tron Bonne from Mega Man Legends is a extremely underrated female character and one I think that would be really unique and quirky in Smash. She would be one of the only mech fighters in the roster.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Does Joanna Dark count? She's very, very unlikely for many reasons, but damn I loved Perfect Dark, and it was a Nintendo 64 exclusive. She is one of my "unreasonable most wanted".

Top Bottom