• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WD jab grab vs. WD grab

B4tt1enet

Smash Cadet
once ive started using WD jab i noticed that i never use simply WD grab... is this a bad thing? like is WD jab better to use every single time or is it good to mix in a WD grab sometimes too?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
WD -> Jab -> Grab is a great move, but for instance, against a crouch-cancel happy Samus, your combo will become WD -> Jab -> Get dsmashed before you can do anything

So just be cautious about how used to doing it you get

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Why is Phanna in the IC specifics??? Anyways, I would say it's best to keep in mind what your opponent expects. If they think you'll jab>grab, they'll shield, and you can grab them. If they think you'll grab, you can jab>grab while they dodge, the jab will miss, and you'll grab after the dodge. Or you could just wait for the dodge. Keep them guessing, and you increase your chances of landing that grab.

Hozart

Smash Journeyman
If you add the infinite into your game, it is likely that the opponent won't:

Crouch-cancel: staying grounded against the Ice Climbers is dangerous, and if they are counch-cancelling you, you should grab them the next time in response, infinite them, and notice the change in their game from then on.

Shield: no need to worry about being shield grabbed. The opponent shouldn't be shielding frequently (sometimes not at all).

WD Jab ---> Follow-up works precisely because it'll catch them in their jump, and you can hit them (or grab) accordingly. If they side-step, you may still be fast enough to hit them right out of it.

B4tt1enet

Smash Cadet
alright cool thx for the advice. i guess sometimes it is actually better to just WD grab. i was playing a bit today and one time i jabbed and it put them out of range of the grab (they were at a pretty high percent though). if they fly up in the air from your jab is it possible to do dash --> SHFFL nair or fsmash after the jab?

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
WD jab grab is uber sexy. I think that's part of what sets Chu so far apart from everyone else. He uses the jab ridiculously effective, whether it's a dthrow jab grab chain or a WD jab grab or just jabbing someone to keep them in their sheild and set up another grab. Too good.

Top Bottom