• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash and powershield a BETTER WAY: a GCN Controller Modification

phillybilly

Smash Journeyman
another way to mod the controller if this wasn't already mentioned....

take a thin wood kebob stick and cut it short enough to reach the top of the trigger inside and hit the cushion for the digital click
if you want it to feel better cut the digital click pad until only the rubber is under the black part of the bottom side....

what this does is when it makes the L or R trigger act as a button and it still sits up in it's ready position as if it wasn't modded..

the only way to tell is if you actually press it yourself...

I used this mod for a month but I took it out..

it makes it REALLY easy to powershield but I can still do it somewhat without the mod...

wavedashing it really doesn't make any easier cuz if you have the timing for it you won't lose it with this mod...

if anyone needs any pictures for doing this mod step by step talk to me on AIM ...
my screen name is in my profile...

vidjogamer

Smash Master
I was with pyro climbers when he played, V, i dont see how it can make wavedashing any easier, but powershielding sure. But i still think we should play the regular way. Thats the way the game was intended.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Well V, or superpichu, since you seem to know alot about the GCN controller, is there any way to tighten the analog stick? I've been using the same black controller since i got the GCN for SSBM. The controller is fine, you hold it, and it feels so broken in that most moves come easily, l-canceling, combo's, wavedashing, the works. One problem though, the analog has died. Well, not died, i can still use it somewhat, it's just so loose that even moving the controller, not the analog, moves the stick to the left. I move the controller to the right, the analog goes with it. I really love my controller to death, and would like to know if you have a solution to my poor, poor analog.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
Originally posted by SS4Ricky
Well V, or superpichu, since you seem to know alot about the GCN controller, is there any way to tighten the analog stick? I've been using the same black controller since i got the GCN for SSBM. The controller is fine, you hold it, and it feels so broken in that most moves come easily, l-canceling, combo's, wavedashing, the works. One problem though, the analog has died. Well, not died, i can still use it somewhat, it's just so loose that even moving the controller, not the analog, moves the stick to the left. I move the controller to the right, the analog goes with it. I really love my controller to death, and would like to know if you have a solution to my poor, poor analog.
Oh man, I understand you all too well, my wavebird did that to me after a month or two that's how much I used it lol. I remember my first controller, it's so smooth you pratically slip off of it, and the analog always goes up so I can't use that. I also have a broken superpad, now I have a half indigo, half clear controller that's my sis', and a spice one that's mine. I'm not lucky at all with GC controllers :( .

vidjogamer

Smash Master
lol, mista, i never knew ur sis played, prolly sucks tough? but yeah, i ended up selling my "loose joystick" controller a while ago, i got new ones instead, thats your best bet, ive gone through over 5, 6 maybe controllers, yeah thats bad, one was a cheap 3rd party one and it just broke on us, haha, and u think your not lucky with controllers....

hail

Smash Rookie
I really do not think that there is a way to tighten the analog stick because that used to happen to me and then I tried but i ended up having to get a new controller.

Supernova

Smash Ace
well, ricky, all i can say is open it up. i personally haven't opened the analog stick portion of the gamecube controller, but have opened PLENTY of n64 versions, mainly to clean around. it really wasn't too hard putting it back together...just annoying.

if it's to the point where it's affecting your skills, you really have nothing to lose, as it may start screwing up totally soon. (the middle of a tournament would be a bad time.)

maybe V's played around with the cube's analog stick...i haven't...yet. it doesn't need cleaned yet.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Ahhh....OK, thanks anyways for the help. I haven't really tried to open up my controller, but seeing that it's pratically useless, i've got nothing to lose. Lets hope i make a miracle.

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
There's got to be a way...

Yeah, I haven't looked into fixing loose analogs, although I have opened a loose analog controller and gently pulled out the control stick to see what was inside. There's a stick in the middle that moves up and down, and on either side there are plastic bars that move side to side when the stick moves side to side. In the one I was looking at, the bars were warped outwards and left a gap between the stick and the bar--this was why the stick was loose: the gap lets the stick wiggle without moving the plastic bars.

Maybe your controller has the same problem with the warped bars. I think if the plastic bars were bent back into place, then the problem will be gone. But it's bent plastic. That's probably impossible to bend back totally reversibly without some kind of heating, and heating is out of the question. You could try clamping it somehow, just make sure that the clamp doesn't get in the way of the movement.

I've also thought about filling the gap by gluing a block of filler material to the stick, but never tried it because it would involve superglue and material and could be a permanent change.

LazyNova's controller's c-stick has a similar problem; I'm going to open that one up and experiment some more soon.

I also recall that jtanic had a way to temporarily fix his controller's loose analog stick, but I never got a chance to ask about the details.

i dont see how it can make wavedashing any easier, but powershielding sure
On a normal controller, after you click the trigger for a wavedash, you must let the trigger all the way up in order for your shield not to come up and get in the way of your next move. On a modded controller, your finger does less work in letting the trigger back up because there is less distance to go up, and the light shield will never pop up and stop you from doing your next move.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
heh, finally got the controller open (had to use a flathead, triangle screwdrivers are impossible to find.) did the little mod trick, and stared at the analog. It doesn't come out, and like you said, the plastics around it are a little bent. I don't wanna try anything funny until i know for sure, so i'm fiddling around with the things holding the analog in place. If i find anything, i'll post, but right now i just wanna try out this R button...

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
oh man....cheap cheap cheap! But i love it! Every round i've played so far has ended up with me getting a Powershielding bonus. No wonder these aren't allowed in tournaments, i could really ruin a person with this! As everyone says, the wavedashing sucks, but i was already a good wavedasher so that doesn't really matter. The one thing i love is powershielding. I feel so L.9 CPU, the powershielding comes naturally! Ahhh...better calm down.

On the other hand, before putting the controller back together, i found two little switch thingies on the analog, one at the bottom, and one on the right. I used the flathead and tried to turn it (looked like a screw), and when i turned the bottom one left, it moved the analog left, when i turned it right, the analog moved right too. The screw switch thingie on the right moved the analog up and down when i played with it a bit. All this really didn't tighten the analog any, but when i started up smash, the cursor didn't move to the right on its own. In fact, it worked like any of my other controllers. So i don't know how, mabye fiddling around with it helped, but it's not as broken anymore, the analog's still flimsy, but it works.

Supernova

Smash Ace
alot of times if a button's a bit iffy, all you have to do is open the controller up, move the stuff around and set it back in it's place, and it'll work again like a charm.

case in point, coworker threw controller down to wood floor out of frustration. A and X buttons needed to be pressed harder to work. i open it up, find nothing, but it back together, and voila-works fine.

powershielding is still a bit difficult when blocking regular attacks, but powershielding projectiles is easier.

ps...watch out for double posting ricky. use the edit button next time, or you'll incur the wrath of the mods!

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
ohh...sorry 'bout that. I haven't really been on this board for too long, and usually i think of more things to post after i post the first message. Gotta think before i post. :) Thanks anyways.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
I have 2 busted controllers and it b/c of the analog sticks. Ricky you said you messed with little screws? I have opened these controllers before but I'm not sure what screws you mean. Maybe if I had the contoller opened and sitting here it would be different. And which way did it used to move on it's own and which way did u move ths screw to fix that? Thanx

:beezo:

RighteousKid

Smash Rookie
Interesting... I guess. Still, I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of beating really good players or winning all the time just because of a cheap control modification. Like another guy said before, I rather do things the harder way and know that I worked for my skill.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
well...their not really screws. There under the plastic of the analog, and after i fiddled with them, my controller wasn't as crappy as before, the analog was still loose, but it worked.

Though like someone said before, JTanic says he had some sort of screw that could tighten the analog. That would really help. I think my way is just a temporary fix.

Slayer Link

Smash Journeyman
This is so masterful. Thnx Super pichu! And btw the triangel screwdrivers where very easy to find. But maybe it's because I live in Holland. I don't know about that in USA. One question Superpicu, is the wavedashing the same as when you're holding L or R at the startup of your Cube?

usea

Smash Ace
I didn't have any trouble finding the triangle bit, and I live in the US. they had one at the local hardware store. a gamebit (for opening the gamecube case) is much harder though :( you almost have to buy it online.

this mod is much different from holding L or R as the cube starts. that was answered way back in this thread. it's MUCH easier to time powersheilds and wavedashes when you only have to click a button. it's not so much the removing of the analog ability that helps, but taking out the spring that gives it the biggest advantage.

Cheesed Marth

Smash Cadet
I'm sure if I tryed modifying the controller, it'd probably mess up my other games, or I'd mess up and anilhilate my controller. and if I DID succeed, my friends would call me a cheater.

and I'd agree with them.

<>TEK<>

Smash Rookie
If you remove the spring in your R button, then it may not work for other games, unless you only play one game<SSB:M> which is kind of a waste, I think its better to play various games.

element_of_fire

Smash Lord
I used to be against modded controllers.... but I'm all for them now... I have one myself...

at first it kinda messed up my timing ... but after you get used to it, it does really make powershielding much easier

bobfungus

Smash Apprentice
on the topic of modding controllers, my r button for whatever reason now only works if i press it down all the way (i probably was pressing it too hard and it broke) how exactly can i fix it?

SNTRL

Smash Lord
Problem

When i turn on the game the control stick seems to move on its on. I can't pick nothing because its moving up or down everytime i press start at the SSBM screen. Do anyone know how to fix my problem? Holla!!

bobfungus

Smash Apprentice
put all analog buttons into their neutral positions (analogs are c-stick, control stick, l, and r) and hold x, y, and start for 3 seconds.

don't move any of the analog buttons when you turn the gamecube on

SNTRL

Smash Lord
I just tried it about ten times already and it still did'nt work. Everytime i would move the stick the highlighter or whatever would keep moving on its own, but the stick is still in neutral. Do you have any other solutions?

Edit: I recently just tried that again and this time it worked.

AlpayK

Smash Apprentice
Some tournaments check your controller for modifications but some don't so you might get away with it...

_Star_Fox_101

Smash Apprentice
superpichu, ya know how there are 2 jump buttons, well do you think you could modify one of them so it short jumps(no matter how u press it it short jumps). This in my opinion is way more usefull then the shield modification. I seem to have trouble short jumping and this is a great idea I think. Could you give instructions on how to do this?

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
It IS a great idea

_Star_Fox_101:

Since I don't have enough knowledge of electronics to get started on this myself, I can only refer you to the electrical engineer of the Ship of Fools, who is currently working on this type of mod. It's not done yet though; there seems to be a few technical problems to overcome.

D

Deleted member

I bought a wavebird to try that on about 2 weeks ago. If it proves successful, I plan to do the same for my silver controller. As for now though, the triangle screwdriver is my biggest problem :o I can't just hire another electrician for this mod.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Heya all-

Yeah, I've been working on a short-hop mod for some time now. Admittedly, it's been a lazy road, in that I've probably only put about 10 hours into it since I thought of the idea last summer. Still, a few problems remain.
Here's how it works: By putting a capacitor in series with one of the jump buttons, that button will short hop. I won't go into the physics of it all, but, basically, a capacitor cuts the current off after a short time by becoming SATURATED, and it remains as such until it is DISCHARGED. This is one of the problems. You need to short the leads of the capacitor in order to discharge it. Until then, your jump button with have an open in its circuit, casuing it to do nothing when pushed. I'm currently thinking of using some sort of timing IC in order to discharge it at regular intervals, but I'm not sure if it'll work at all. I just need to find the right type of IC online at some point.
Another problem is that I've found that you can't solder directly to the button leads. If anyone has found a solution to that, please let me know, otherwise I'll continue to hot glue my wires to the leads, which isn't exactly a solid connection, obviously.

Anyways, that's what's on the table. Any insight as to how to improve this concept would be more than welcomed. Thanks!

-Oh, an UnbreonMow: Use a tiny flathead screwdriver, that's what I use and it works great on those triangle screws. Not sure what exact size, but it should barely fit into the triangle, then just apply a lot of pressure when you turn. Hope that helps!

Maruiniq

Smash Ace
ummmmm, i'll have to get back to you on that
Wave dashing and power sheilding

well, a WD (wave dash) is when you jump and dodge and it makes it look like your character is ice skating on the feild. What you have to do to learn, is go to training mode, pick luigi (he has best, longest, and easiest WD), go to FD (final destanation), set it to 1/2 speed, and press Y/X (jump), R/L (dodge when in air), at the same time as doging you have to use the controll stick and point it diagnoly down (foward or back), if you do it right you will see Luigi sliding along FD. If you do it really good, you wil see luigi go very far, that a WD. Once you got it on 1/2 speed, boost it up to regular. after that, use your own character. if you really wanna get good, then go back on to training mode and set the speed for x2, if you have done that, you're good.

And Power sheilding is when you press R/L on ground (sheild-block) at the excact same time your opponent's projectile hits you. It will bounce strait back at your opponent! If your friends don't know this they will die from the cause of it! If your opponent hits you with a phisical attack and you power sheild, you will now because some white lights will come out! to practice this, go to training mode with a friend (that place either samus or mewtwo) and set it to 1/2 speed. Make your friend fire samus's/mextwo's fully charged blast and try to power sheild it. keep doing this and you will get it. then practice on normal speed.

Now if you want to make it easier (cheat), use the modifacation. i hope i helped you.

Top Bottom