• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash and powershield a BETTER WAY: a GCN Controller Modification

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Modification revival

Since I'm seeing more and more questions about how to powershield/wavedash, I decided to bring this diamond back up from the heap. Remember, modification of one of the GCN's trigger (usually R, but L might suit a handfull of people) removes all resistance from a trigger to the point where only the digital button remains. Letting the trigger fall to the point before the "click" sets this position as neutral (at start-up) so that you won't be light sheilding when you don't want to, and pulling it out to its normal position has no effect at all. If you're lazy with the in-game calibration method, simply unplugging your controller, setting every to neutral as you like it, and replugging it in also works.

At any rate, this button offers an instant full shield just by clicking it, resulting in quicker and improved wavedash, powershield, and teching rates. Check the beginning of the thread for superpichu's detailed instructions as to how to do this modification process. Just another note: Attempting to modify a trigger on a Wavebird controller is not advised. You endanger the wiring inside by doing this, as it is different from the standard controllers'.

Also, I've played around with this myself a ton of times, so take it from me: You're not going to break anything unless you're inhumanly bad with your mechanical skills. It's all unscrewing, accessing the spring, and replacing everything as you found it. The big challenge is the initial unscrewing. For unscrewing the 3-prong screwdrivers, use a 5/64 inch flatheaded jeweler's screwdriver, since you most likely don't have a 3-prong screwdriver. Only one screw on the controller is a standard Phillips' head (4-prong), and the rest are 3. The screws blocking the trigger are all tiny phillips head screws, as well. I encourage playing around with this for at least one controller. Keep in mind that you may need both functional triggers for some games, such as Phantasy Star Online. Have fun, guys.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, good luck showing up at tourneys with a modified controller......Like someone else said, it would be no fair if you played against an expert programmer who modified his controller to wavedash with a simple tilt of the control stick.....

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay a couple of things:

1. Controller Modification when referred to SSBM is generally just that of the L or R trigger to provide easier execution of techniques that require a full press of the button. Nothing more.

2. A modified analog stick to instantly WD in that direction is, I would imagine, extremely time consuming, and in the end wouldn't even be worth the effort. Characters have different lengths of delay from jump start up time to actually leaving the ground. Peach's and Bowser's, for example, are one of the slower ground jumpers. They wouldn't benefit from an instant WD mechanism since the signal for the L/R trigger would have been input too soon for them, and thus nothing happens. As for characters like the F/F/S group, they can have a field day. But this particular modification is bound to never be seen, and should be plainly noticeable if it's ever done by a great techno-whiz.

3. To all tournament advisors and organizers, this modification process should be brought to your attention. It does indeed offer a slight advantage to those people who do this, so you really should consider the status of modified controllers for your tournaments. A simple controller check right before a round of playing is all you need if you feel strongly about it.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
A modified analog stick to instantly WD in that direction is, I would imagine, extremely time consuming, and in the end wouldn't even be worth the effort.
Bleh, I didn't mean it that way. I'm just trying to point out that if anyone were to enter a tournament with a modified controller, and be able to play the tourney thorugh, it'd be really unfair to other players. Powersheilding was placed in the game purposely, and made a difficult technique to master so that players couldn't excessively abuse it. It's not an unorthodox technique like wavedashing. Manipulating the controller to be able to perform it succesfully is cheating any way you put it. Wavedashing is slightly more understandable, but I still think players should go about learning the hard way. I guess the point I wanted to make you've already clarified in your last paragraph.....So yeah.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
Well, because it is equally available to all players, it doesn't really provide an definite guarenteed advantage.

So far I think basicly every tourney where it has been brought up it has been allowed at.

And what, you mean people play other games for the cube than smash?? That's crazy, I never would have thought of that.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only unequal part of this modification is that not everyone has the proper hardware to do it. One needs at least 2 screwdrivers to do this. Of course, a standard set of jeweler's screwdrivers is all one needs.

LazyNova's also right about the tournament issue. This knowledge isn't exactly new, and there haven't been many tournaments where the rule sets even mention this, and it's usually overlooked regardless. Considering the barrier between people who do and don't have the proper tools to do this (or even bother trying it) and the advantages it can give, tournament's awareness of this should be increased to the point where it's at least officially mentioned in the rules.

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
I'm just trying to point out that if anyone were to enter a tournament with a modified controller, and be able to play the tourney thorugh, it'd be really unfair to other players.

Yes, I agree. But it is up to the other players to make a decision: either to stick with their controllers the way the are or to modify them. If they come to the conclusion that a large factor behind their losses is that the opponent used a mod controller, it would be in their best interest to mod their own controller. Similarly, it's also wise for swimmers to shave off hair to better compete with their hairless competitors.

Looks like LazyNova beat me to this point. Now it would not be fair to keep this modding information from other players. That's the reason why this thread was created: To inform everyone that there exists a practical, benefitial mod, and to inform how to mod, if they ever wanted to do it. It's also the reason why I let people check out my controller at tournaments. I even bring my set of screws if anyone wants me to mod their controller for them.

As far as I know, the Knob tournaments are the only ones that don't allow mods. But that was a long time ago, when mods were first introduced in tournaments and were suspect and little known about. I'm not sure if those tournaments have the same policy anymore.

And yes, I totally agree with RyokoYaksa; tournaments should mention their policies on controller modification with as much emphasis as any other part of their ruleset.

silverbane

Smash Rookie
i fear change, and i will keep my bushes.

personaly, im opposed to modifing hardware in any way, but thats cuz im a scrub. i deffinately dont think tournaments should illeagalize it though.

while it does provide a nice advantage, im pretty sure being able to wavedash like crazy and powershield a bit better wont gurentee a win. its not game breaking, and its not required for everyone, and even if it was, id just recomend tournaments informing people and possibly even helping them fix their controllers (if not just provide some...)

mostly, i feel its more like a crutch then anything. like using pads that are a little too big if you're a hockey goalie. nothing extreme, just a few centimeters here and there to give you an edge. while it does give you an edge, it also makes you a less skillful player, and in my mind defeats the purpose of compeating (self improvement). but then thats me thinking idealisticly, and you're probably all in it for the money right?

maybe im just crazy though.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by superpichu
Yes, I agree. But it is up to the other players to make a decision: either to stick with their controllers the way the are or to modify them. If they come to the conclusion that a large factor behind their losses is that the opponent used a mod controller, it would be in their best interest to mod their own controller. Similarly, it's also wise for swimmers to shave off hair to better compete with their hairless competitors.
I am gonna have to disagree on this point. When I picked up the game there were certain things inherent attributes to the game that i knew i had to make a decision regarding and explore. What character to use, what to jump with, what to cancel with, do i want to wavedash, do i want to cancel, tech, etc? If i made a bad choice or changed my mind i would be forced to learn or re-learn them according to the new choice i made. However, as far as modding a controller goes it is not inherent to the game and therefore it is not something people should be allowed to put at a disadvantage for not using. And while i think the fact that you made this public was a good gesture, the fact remains that there are certain people at tourneys that will not have the knowledge and or the means to do the mod. Therein would be at a disadvantage.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
After more overview on this topic, I'm thinking, shouldn't it be important to sticky this? The reasons why seem to beating people over the head.

silverbane

Smash Rookie
sticky stickty stick sick stick

i vote for that too. its important that anyone planning on doing tourny's in the future know about this, just to give them all the options that they have. I know im not taking my controller apart (see quizno's add about bushes vs pants...im the one with bushes) but that doesnt mean i dont think other people shouldn't.

GO! CUSTOMIZE! hurry! ....****...too late.... there was a tournement today here in denver.... oh well.... maybe next time

[KU]Wu-Tang Wang

Smash Cadet
a very slight edge

A long time ago, V and I decided to experiment with controller mods when his B button jammed. Since then, I've tried many such hacks--including PS2 controllers, 3rd party GC controllers (modded and unmodded), and the modified GC controller. But I've been silent about it until now.

Verdict:
PS2 controller is good, although the analog stick has some funky sensitivity (probably due to the converter).

MicroCon is okay. The smaller size is supposed to increase your own reaction time. The analog stick isn't as good as Nintendo's (or rather Mitsumi, the manufacturer).

modded MicroCon. Don't even think about it. The mod doesn't work. The MicroCon has a different calibration, so the shield will always be on.

Modded GC controller is the best option, so far. Some aftermarket retailers offer the security screwdriver. It's the same screwdriver to install the Afterburner into the GBA.

However, the modded GC controller will only offer a very slight advantage to the high-level player who L-cancels like a *****. The mod absolutely helps when wavedashing or powershielding. But those tricks are relatively worthless when compared to L-cancelling.
With the mod, you'll be able to wavedash and powershield like a pro, but it's all extremely f*cking nigh if you don't L-cancel.

The verdict is still out if the mod will help you L-cancel.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
well, to lcancel you don't need a full click; as long as the shield would have poped up (even the big light one) you'll cancel, so a modded controller won't necessarily help you cancel any better.

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
I would even go so far as to say that the modded trigger actually makes it harder to L-cancel. With a normal trigger, you can spam L-cancel attempts by slightly pressing the trigger in and then back out. With a modded trigger it's much harder to keep clicking at a fast enough rate. Of course, if you are very alert and can get the L-cancel on the dot, whether you short jump or long jump, whether you hit or miss your opponent, then the modded trigger shouldn't too bothersome.

Fox 2k3

Smash Ace
Well i don't think that this is a good ideat, the fact is if you go to a tournament you will have to use theire controls not yours (well at least in serious contests). But i prefer useing my own fingers to do that.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
ummmm... no? most truly serious tourneys are fan run, not sponsored. typically, sponsored tourneys have crappy rules decided by someone who knows nothing about the game. and most fan organizers don't have enough money to supply that many cubes and controllers, so you'll end up using your own most of the time anyway.

ummm... the point to that rambling babble fest? most of the time (read as: 99.9% of the time) you'll be using your own controller so feel free to mod away, unless it's declared illegal by the organizer.

[KU]Wu-Tang Wang

Smash Cadet
right on

Originally posted by superpichu
I would even go so far as to say that the modded trigger actually makes it harder to L-cancel. With a normal trigger, you can spam L-cancel attempts by slightly pressing the trigger in and then back out. With a modded trigger it's much harder to keep clicking at a fast enough rate. Of course, if you are very alert and can get the L-cancel on the dot, whether you short jump or long jump, whether you hit or miss your opponent, then the modded trigger shouldn't too bothersome.
The modded controller is hardly a serious, game-breaking threat. It's very useful but nothing to really worry about.

Also, before the modded controller, I could barely powershield/wavedash or even learn to powershield/wavedash. It is much easier to learn those tricks on a modded controller. Then executing those moevs on a stock controller becomes much easier. It doesn't really matter, because powershielding isn't all it's cracked up to be. And wavedashing is only helpful with the right characters.

Another useful mod that isn't mentioned:
Z trigger mod -- the standard Z trigger is really stiff. If you're going to mod the L/R, you might as well mod the Z, too. To loosen the trigger, just depress the metal clip that is attached to the button. You'll know what I mean if you open up the controller.
Caveat: if the metal clip is depressed too far (the trigger is very loose), then the grab action can become sticky after extended play. Just don't loosen the trigger too much, and everything should be fine.

The Z trigger mod is good enough to be modded by itself.

Edit: Disclaimer: Of course, I am not responsible for any mods that you decide to do. Use at your own risk, please.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Re: right on

Originally posted by [KU]Wu-Tang Wang
The modded controller is hardly a serious, game-breaking threat. It's very useful but nothing to really worry about.

Also, before the modded controller, I could barely powershield/wavedash or even learn to powershield/wavedash. It is much easier to learn those tricks on a modded controller. Then executing those moevs on a stock controller becomes much easier. It doesn't really matter, because powershielding isn't all it's cracked up to be. And wavedashing is only helpful with the right characters.

I wouldn't really say that. I've seen and played with great WD players, and the only character I would say that the wavedash doesn't have much use for is Bowser because of his effing slow jump. Despite Peach's and Zelda's least covered distance with the usual WD, holding a 27.5 degree angle down on the control stick gives them a respectable and useful WD distance. They even have options to attack which are quick enough to use with it. That's from my experience playing as them.

Another useful mod that isn't mentioned:
Z trigger mod -- the standard Z trigger is really stiff. If you're going to mod the L/R, you might as well mod the Z, too. To loosen the trigger, just depress the metal clip that is attached to the button. You'll know what I mean if you open up the controller.
Caveat: if the metal clip is depressed too far (the trigger is very loose), then the grab action can become sticky after extended play. Just don't loosen the trigger too much, and everything should be fine.
Being inside my controllers before, I have seen this. I remember the clip resembling an open safety pin. By depressing it, do you mean tightening the angle of the clip? Just checking if that's it, because that's something I'd like to try when I get home.

[KU]Wu-Tang Wang

Smash Cadet
Yes, by tightening the angle of the metal clip, the trigger becomes more sensitive. Just don't tighten the angle too much.

This mod is really harmless for other games, and the resulting trigger is easier on your index finger.

By the way, has anyone played Smash with the X-Arcade stick or any arcade stick? This is the last controller with which I want to experiment.

unknown2226

Smash Apprentice
NEAT

I HAVE to try this.....hope everything goes right first thing tomorrow I am buying the necessary things to mod my controller.....

I vote for this to be stickied also

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
I vote for this to be stickied also
First off, why would you sticky this topic? The help that comes in modifying a controller isn't at all that significant. Why don't you just learn to do it the way everybody does? Wavedashing is easy to learn, and powersheilding isn't at all that important, seeing as most tournament battles take off items.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ever meet someone who powershields direct attack like crazy and counters you every time? The thing about powershielding is that you can release your shield immediately after taking a blow, allowing you to do pretty much anything except grab. Very useful if one has the reflexes.

I feel this topic should be stickied not so much for it helping people's games, but more for making people aware of a practical/beneficial controller mod for this game. Every tournament manager and goer should know about it.

Supernova

Smash Ace
hmmm...i was gonna talk about some stuff...but this is an old as heck topic!

but it's tough to find the proper tools so that you can actually do it... the only real con.

it's always a good idea to have the special bits so you can get in there and clean around the buttons and such.

And while i think the fact that you made this public was a good gesture, the fact remains that there are certain people at tourneys that will not have the knowledge and or the means to do the mod. Therein would be at a disadvantage.

it's a fair argument, but what about the players that do wavedash and such without the modification versus the ones that don't? generally, the wavedashers are better players, not always, but generally. so the question i ask is, wouldn't you want the less skilled players to use this easy diy modification in order for them to become better challenges, and thus, better players?

and speaking of tournament goers not having the knowledge of a modified controller, what about the attendees who haven't heard of a thing called wavedashing, l-canceling, and such? they're at a disadvantage as well.

i guess i'm speaking because i've been thinking about doing this myself. i just can't seem to get wavedashing down pat. granted i don't practice it much at all, but it's fairly difficult to learn, especially since different characters have different timings, and i prefer a variety of characters. honestly, i can't say whether i'd be opposed or not if i could already do it. i MIGHT be a little worried that others may catch up to me skill wise, but in the end, better competition makes one a better player themself, so i would have to be for it.

and the topic should be stickied.

unknown2226

Smash Apprentice
K so tried the modification and it ONLY helped me Powershield this modification took out my wavedashing skills completely, I guess its because I know how to wavedash already, well I am glad I have my normal controller back.....

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
Interesting

It might also have depended on what characters you tried to wavedash with. With characters like Marth and Falco, the mod can make wavedashing even harder because it messes up the timing between jump and dodge. This will definitely interfere with your previous timing if you were already doing wavedashes with Marth and Falco on a normal controller.

Wavedashing with other characters, like Fox, Samus, Ice Climbers, i.e. those with fast jumps, becomes much less painful with a modded controller. I recently tried playing with a normal controller for the first time in months, and had the same problem you did: no more wavedashing skills; it takes some time to adapt to the new timings.

stilettotrap

Smash Ace
Hmmm. I can wavedash on my own, and powershielding doesn't help that much. The only time I shield that much is when I'm tryingn to shield grab, and powershielding pushes you out of grab range. I guess this could have its uses, but I don't think I want to risk breaking my controller over such a small factor in one game.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Ryoko used her newly obtained mod powers to sticky this topic. Congrats Ryoko on the mod thing, we all saw it coming....

***On topic: I guess this topic does deserve to be stickied. Now tournament organizers might place a control check before starting the tourney....

paperboy

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Impmacaque
Looks like Ryoko used her newly obtained mod powers to sticky this topic.
It's a he :p. BTW Ryoko if your gonna go on a sticky rampage, can you sticky Mewtwo's Statistic list. It's very important IMO

On topic-Umm, Good idea, but then we you have to re-mod you're controller if you're gonna play another game? I'm still not gonna do it. I can already WD and powershielding's not worth it IMO.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The very first thing I did was sticky this topic before truding off doing my daily things. By the way, I'm a guy!

paperboy has a point... in cases like PSO, one needs both triggers to either access the other half of the action menu, or re-center the camera, both very important functions. These can't be done with a modified controller, so do it if you either don't play any other GCN games, or have extra controllers onhand to play around with.

And I think I'll look up that Mew2King topic. I forgot about that.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
The very first thing I did was sticky this topic before truding off doing my daily things. By the way, I'm a guy!
*Feels extremely stupid* Umm.....ah.....sorry about that......That Zelda avatar threw me off.....Yeah, I wont make that mistake again.....

**Relatively On Topic: I was thinking about this controller mod thing. I just wanted to open up an old control to fix a loose joy-stick it had. Do any of you know if it's possible to fix stuck control buttons and loose joysticks after opening up your controller? I really dont want to have to waste 30$ on a new control just because of a loose joystick...

Ninja99

Smash Cadet
Props to superpichu for being inventive, but modifying a controller as described would constitute as cheating since it affords the user of said controller an unfair advantage. It would be prudent to keep this in mind, I should think.

Enjoy this controller modification stuff as a harmless diversion but try not to get carried away.

-Ninja :demon:

Supernova

Smash Ace
i would say it doesn't. you're not programming any particular move into the game. that and anyone can do it.

i got in my special screwdriver for this a few days ago (and i wanted one anyway, in case i ever need to clean inside of them. i don't want to end up stripping the screws with a regular flathead accidentally.)

i'll testify it does make it easier to perform. but after initial testing, it still takes plenty of skill to time it (wavedash) correctly, especially when doing multiple wavedashes. after two or three, your mind will want to press that L/R button too early/too late. so it still takes skill to perform this on a regular basis.

what would you say to this hypothetical question?

what if a third party producer, or even nintendo themselves made a controller with either of the shoulder buttons' analog function removed? i.e. it was a completely digital button-the digital function being the one required for easier wavedashing/powershielding. (not just specifically for this game, i bet there might be a few games where this might be handy.) would you ban said controller?

Jarrod

Smash Ace
I have a question or a few rather:

When you wavedash and powershield, is it like wavedashing, then letting go and then pressing the shield button in fully?

I thought you could only wavedash and the shield would only come out at the end of the wavedash. If this is the case, the whole part of powershielding is therefore dependant on the move attacking you and you would need perfect timing for this. I don't think this is the case cause that's pretty farfetched to do.

If it is the case, why not jump, hit shield, then hold shield and it will pop out when it is ready to?

Sorry but I just don't know exactly what it is.

Oh and for my thoughts on this. I think that exploiting a glitch is wrong. Bat drops are not wrong because it's not a glitch. Sure the creator's might not have thought of it at the time, but you are dropping a bat which is meant to happen and then stopping it from flying away in HRC. However the IC Freeze Glitch was not intended and is a glitch and should not be used for anything including HRC.

This is basically changing what was intended and also should not be allowed. It would make wavedashing extremely simple since you would only need to push a button instead of pushing the L or R all the way down. And then letting go and hitting again. That's just way too easy and wavedashing was never meant to be that easy. Sure I can do it but sometimes I'm a little slow on pushing the L button. So down with the controller mod like BBT said.

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
Iraqi Head Seeks Arms

When you wavedash and powershield, is it like wavedashing, then letting go and then pressing the shield button in fully?
Oops, I guess the title was a little misleading. Basically, what was meant was that modding the controller makes both wavedashing and powershielding easier; it did not refer to the sequence of wavedashing followed by a powershield.

That's just way too easy and wavedashing was never meant to be that easy.
As Supernova said, even after modding there is still some skill involved in wavedashing; the trigger won't wavedash for you. As for what was or wasn't intended, it's really gray. In other games things that weren't intended (roll-cancelling) have become accepted and define the experts from the good players.

Also, it makes it easier to wavedash with some characters and harder to wavedash with others. Fox, Samus, ICs; easier. Luigi, Gdorf, Bowser, the Marios; harder. Modding also takes away the option of light shielding. So there are some pros and cons to it.

So far, no one has won a big tournament, or even has done well in a big tournament, with a modified controller. No one has used the mod controller to it's potential, i.e. wavedashing constantly and powershielding constantly, in tournaments. If and when someone does, then I could understand the amount of opposition to it that there is now.

BBT was initially against, but after trying it, became for modding:

change of mind

Well I just tried the recalibration bit and worked on my powersheilding...it is one **** of a lot easier. I can reflect falco's blaster pretty frequently. So I'm wondering- Is there a big difference between modification and recalibration? It seems like there wouldn't be. And since I don't think it's right to oppose recalibration, I'm going to stop opposing outright modification either. I say let's allow it.

greenfire

Smash Apprentice
they gave you the controller like that for a reason, i wouldn't tamper my controller for just wavedashing and powershielding. Plus the fact that it's for one game. if you want to do it so bad, PRACTICE!

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Typhoon Rips through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead

If anything, the biggest purpose of the modded trigger these days is training wheels for WD/powershields on a normal trigger. Most official meets don't allow it for good reason, as it can be very advantageous if practiced with.

One game: Melee. It possible earns money. Enough reason to take appropriate measures to improve your game.

"They give you the controller like that for a reason." Not even clever.

Basically what I'm saying is: if you still know nothing of the subject after reading all the posts, don't add another, useless one. Hopefully I got a message across.

Rainy Day Toast

Stays Crunchy in Milk
BRoomer
Well, I've been playing with the mod since I first saw this thread... And since I first saw this thread when I came here, I learned to WD completely on this controller, at first. Having practiced WDing with the other trigger afterwards, I have to say that I don't think wave dashes are made significantly easier with this mod, except on characters with very fast jumps. On average- or slow-jumping characters, you may notice a difference in how you have to time your WD, but probably not a change in ease of use.

Powershielding, on the other hand, is cake with the GCN controller mod.

phillybilly

Smash Journeyman
another way to mod the controller if this wasn't already mentioned....

take a thin wood kebob stick and cut it short enough to reach the top of the trigger inside and hit the cushion for the digital click
if you want it to feel better cut the digital click pad until only the rubber is under the black part of the bottom side....

what this does is when it makes the L or R trigger act as a button and it still sits up in it's ready position as if it wasn't modded..

the only way to tell is if you actually press it yourself...

I used this mod for a month but I took it out..

it makes it REALLY easy to powershield but I can still do it somewhat without the mod...

wavedashing it really doesn't make any easier cuz if you have the timing for it you won't lose it with this mod...

if anyone needs any pictures for doing this mod step by step talk to me on AIM ...
my screen name is in my profile...

Pyro Climbers

Smash Journeyman
well I recently played superpichu aka V, and I got to see this modified controller. I had previously thought he made the controller to automatically wavedash so when I tried it, it didn't work :p But he didn't use it when he was playing, I'm not sure why. I thought wavedashing was useless, but I do it all the time now, but I don't need the mod but I could see how it is useful.

Top Bottom