• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash and powershield a BETTER WAY: a GCN Controller Modification

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
If you want to be able to wavedash and powershield better, then modify your Gamecube controller. I have tested various modifications, but the following works the best.

The following was done on a Gamecube Controller; but my guess is that the procedure should work on other third party controllers, since they should all have springs in their triggers.

Take your controller, and:

1. Unscrew all the screws. They are triangle screws, and triangle screwdrivers are hard to find. If you can't find one, use a jeweler's screw. I bought a set of 3 for about three dollars at Radio Shack.

2. Set the controller on its front, and remove the back. Locate the two trigger components. Also locate the two slidebars on the other half of the controller. Important: when putting the controller back, the slidebar notches must NOT fit into the holes of a modified trigger. Instead, the notch must be above and past the trigger's notch hole. Also important: notice how the wire bends around a pole, you will need to put it like this when putting the controller back together for everything to fit properly.

3. Each trigger component will have two normal screws securing it. Unscrew the RIGHT FINGER TRIGGER.

4. Press the trigger all the way in and hold it, then slide it out of its place. Examine it to get familiar with how it works. There are basically four parts to it: a base, a rubber pad, a metal clip, a spring, and the trigger.

5. Take the metal clip out of its notch. The trigger should come apart now.

6. Remove the spring. Put the metal clip back in the notch so that the trigger component is just the same minus the spring.

7. Put the trigger component back in the controller, screw it in, put the rest of the controller back in the case, screw that back in. Make sure that the slidebar is pushed all the way up and is past the trigger's notch hole.

The result: The trigger will become more like a button and less like a trigger, because you won¡¯t have to press it as far to get to the powershielding/wavedashing pressing level. The wavedash for Fox is especially easy.

I am currently working on a modification to make shortjumping easier. I encourage you all to experiment and share anything that you discover.

Happy powershielding/wavedashing!

Gerud0 Prince

Smash Journeyman
Umm sounds intresting but Im not to keen on taking apart my GC controller.

But I would prerfere to learn it the hard way anyways, I will also feel better about myself too Cause I know i did it the hard way :D

PorCorpWis

Smash Ace

Modifying the controller constitutes cheating... I don't think they'd let you use a modified controller in a tournament. It's along the same lines as using a programmable controller to do moves in street fighter or something.

Maruso

Smash Rookie
Is power shielding your grab shield or when you block just as the enemy attacks?

I dont think wave dashing is worth the trouble, the speed gain isnt much, and rolls work for me.

Dipstick

Smash Rookie
Re: .

Originally posted by PorCorpWis
Modifying the controller constitutes cheating... I don't think they'd let you use a modified controller in a tournament. It's along the same lines as using a programmable controller to do moves in street fighter or something.
The difference is that there's no way to know if the controller is modded or not at a quick glance. You could probably tell watching the person play, but the difference between it and a normal GC controller are nonexistant.

What MasterOfFlames is even worse; people bringing their own controllers could just hold the trigger down when plugging their controller in to play.

Meh. Makes the lives of anyone who runs a tournament only harder.

-Dippy

x1_11

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by MasterOfFlames
You could do that whole long precedure..........

Or just keep down L while the game's starting up :p
If you hold down L while it's starting up, wouldn't that just make it not go at all, even when you press it?

SuperJoppe

Smash Apprentice
"If you hold down L while it's starting up, wouldn't that just make it not go at all, even when you press it?"

maybe u can try before u post?

x1_11

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by SuperJoppe
maybe u can try before u post?
Well, no I can't try before I post because the TV is being used. And even if I could, why would I try it if I didn't think it would work? And, it was just a question. You could just say "no, it wouldn't".

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
NO: Removing spring decreases distance, pressing trigger before game start does NOT

You could do that whole long precedure..........

Or just keep down L while the game's starting up

Keeping down a trigger while the game is starting, or while plugging a controller in, does NOT have the same properties as removing the spring from the trigger. Holding it down allows the trigger to recognize only full clicks of the trigger, but there is still the problem of pressing the trigger down the original distance.

Removing the spring shortens the distance you have to press the trigger--the trigger becomes like a button on the front of the controller, while still recognizing only full clicks.

The difference is that there's no way to know if the controller is modded or not at a quick glance. You could probably tell watching the person play, but the difference between it and a normal GC controller are nonexistant.
Actually, the modded trigger looks pressed in and can be easily spotted just by looking at the controller.

What MasterOfFlames is even worse; people bringing their own controllers could just hold the trigger down when plugging their controller in to play.

Meh. Makes the lives of anyone who runs a tournament only harder.
You could just allow it at tournaments to the players as an option. As long as it is well advertised, as long as everyone knows about it, and as long as it is easy enough that anyone can do it, why is it cheating?

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Questions...

I've got a couple questions about this...

First of all, would this enhance or detract from L-cancelling ability? And also, because of the fact that it is normally a spring-device... wouldn't that eliminate the possibility of having a lighter/larger shield? If you are using a normal controller and lightly press the button, you get a lighter and larger shield. I was wondering if this would eliminate that possibility.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Am I a COMPLETE newb for not knowing what wavedashing or powershielding is? or L-canceling? please inform this pathetic soul.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
There are 2 shield buttons.

You can't do light shields with a modified shield button, but you have 2 (actually, 3) shield buttons. Not a problem.

I would think this shouldn't be allowed, because it's a pain in the ***. Exploiting glitches is one thing, modifying hardware is another. What about someone really good with electronics creating their own controller with a processor on it where there's a joystick that automatically wavedashes? That would be pretty helpful. I don't think hardware modification is an acceptable thing for tournaments. ****, why not let people rip the game disk and modify the code on it? Changing the controller is changing the actual game, not exploiting a part of the game already there. It's fine for someone to have an advantage because of a glitch and controller manipulation, but having an advantage because they tinkered with their hardware is different. It essentially requires players to mess up their controllers to play on an expert level. Not cool.

-B

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Originally posted by ender
Am I a COMPLETE newb for not knowing what wavedashing or powershielding is? or L-canceling? please inform this pathetic soul.
say, are you the ender from the dreamscape boards? if you are this is the angel.

anyways, even if you aren't, you serve a good purpose: this is probably the fourth person in the last few days to ask about l cancelling, wding, etc... are. have you finished the compendium of craziness b? or something that will serve the purpose to inform people of what alot of the things we talk about are? that'll really help things out a lot around here.

FaTaliTy57

Smash Apprentice
will someone please tell me how to become an expert at l-cancelling and powershielding

FaTaliTy57

Smash Apprentice
Man i hate this everytime i try to reply it starts a new thred anyway will someone please tell me how to become an expert at l-cancelling and powershielding

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
How do you think the Japanese players wavedash so well?

First of all, would this enhance or detract from L-cancelling ability? And also, because of the fact that it is normally a spring-device... wouldn't that eliminate the possibility of having a lighter/larger shield? If you are using a normal controller and lightly press the button, you get a lighter and larger shield. I was wondering if this would eliminate that possibility.
You can still L-cancel with a modified trigger. However, it is personally easier for me to do it on a natural trigger. The reason for this might be because the original trigger gives you more leeway in pressing length; this is exactly what removing the spring take out. I think L-cancelling on a springless trigger is just something to get used to. As for lighter/larger shieldability, that is completely taken out of the function of a springless trigger. This is an important function, that is why I recommend removing the spring from just one trigger.

I would think this shouldn't be allowed, because it's a pain in the ***... What about someone really good with electronics creating their own controller with a processor on it where there's a joystick that automatically wavedashes? ... I don't think hardware modification is an acceptable thing for tournaments. ****, why not let people rip the game disk and modify the code on it? ... It essentially requires players to mess up their controllers to play on an expert level. Not cool.
Creating your own controller with a wavedash processor, ripping the game disk, all these things are not easily replicated by other people, they are not even easily done. This is the major difference between removing a spring and doing something more complicated.

Removing a spring is so simple. Anyone can do it. When more people play on an expert level, people will improve their game. This is similar to what Sirlin describes when people overcome "cheap" moves.

FaTaliTy57

Smash Apprentice
If u have a modified controller its basicly cheating. I want to figure out how to perfect my timing on a normal controller

FaTaliTy57

Smash Apprentice
wavedashing only works with luigi or a little with fox. Wavedashing is hella funny on top of the ufo

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
A reminder

Let me remind you that this procedure is totally reversible. If you don't like it, just put the spring back and everything will be back like it was. So, there is nothing to lose.

Even for those of you who think that it is cheating, it won't be allowed in tournaments, blah blah, it still can serve a purpose: use it as training wheels.

snex

Smash Master
hmm i dont think this mod is possible with a wavebird.. the circuitry of it is stuck to the back and blocks the triggers

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Epiphany

Wow, setting the neutral trigger position to the point right before the full press of the trigger button gave me an idea, so I did some tests. That can easily be done with the R button, and then you only need to keep the trigger held right before the full press with the spring in (which thankfully is easy to maintain). Pressing/Clicking the button will still result in a full press of the shield. Releasing the trigger to the "negative" zone has no effect, so this is perfectly harmless, as long as you have the otehr trigger set properly for light shields/L-canceling.

Granted that the controller modification offers higher success rates, this just might be an acceptable way of improving trigger function, since it requires no hardware modification. The whole modification process in general also makes it much easier to use wall/ceiling techs, not just for easier powershielding/wave dashing.

D

Deleted member

WD like the Japanese ? ;)

Sorry, I already do. I got s psycho fast controller and it already was modified. I'll admit though, you can do some pretty fun things with those R and L buttons. I tinkered with my R button, but not L. I don't use R as much, so I don't want to start abusing buttons yet.

But man, is this thing fun on Lightining mode :D

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
wow!

UmbreonMow, I just read your post. It was very exciting to read. So what modifications have you tried, and more importantly,

what are the modifications that you have on your controller right now?

And another note to everyone: if you want to switch your controller into the mode that RyokoYaksa was talking about without re-plugging the controller or turning on/off the game, use the in-game calibration procedure:

Press and hold your trigger, then press and hold x, y and start for 3 seconds. Boom. You are on your way to becoming wd/pws/lcanc pro!

If you want to do this secretly, wait for a good time to press and hold start, like at the end of a match.

ECVlion

Smash Ace
FaTaliTy57, wavedashing works with all the characters. It's just that they're really hard with characters like the princesses (Peach and Zelda). If you mod. the controller it will make it a lot easier.

~ECVlion

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
change of mind

Well I just tried the recalibration bit and worked on my powersheilding...it is one **** of a lot easier. I can reflect falco's blaster pretty frequently. So I'm wondering- Is there a big difference between modification and recalibration? It seems like there wouldn't be. And since I don't think it's right to oppose recalibration, I'm going to stop opposing outright modification either. I say let's allow it.

-B

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, modding the controller is superior to recalibrating it since it will remove the resistance of the trigger so that you don't have to keep holding the button in all the time. If you don't keep it held in before the point where the trigger clicks, it will negate the purpose entirely, and it's actually a tough thing to maintain and use effectively. It's best to modify, but it's tough to find the proper tools so that you can actually do it... the only real con.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Re: Wavedash and powershield the EASY WAY: GCN Controller Modification

Originally posted by superpichu
There are basically four parts to it: a base, a rubber pad, a metal clip, a spring, and the trigger.
Despite the fact that I find this topic highly interesting, and plan on trying it out in about 5 minutes, I still had to point out I found that part very funny :chuckle:

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
oops...well if you can catch that then you are alert enough to go ahead and take your controller apart...

D

Deleted member

Someone said that this wouldn't be allowed in tournaments? Why not?

This is in no way illegal. Sure, it kills your warranty. Actually, I never knew these things had a warranty, but I'm sure it would if it had one. There is no way someone is going to know that you tinkered with your controller unless you are stupid enough to let them know. Saying an altered comtroller is illegal would be like the Air Flow controllers being illegal. They are not standard, and are more or less normal ones that were tinkered. Only difference is the box that it comes in. If those super tiny controllers made now help you win, why not use them?

Well, I happen to know that this DOES work. And it DOES act as a Wave Dash crutch for beginners with it. Assuming you have the 3 prong screw driver that the GCN controller takes, I highly recommend it. I did it differently because I just took it apart to clean it and forgot the R button assembly and did it wrong. I took it apart again and STILL did it wrong again. But I tried it thinking it was back to normal. Low and behold, I reflect all with Purin. Gee, I like this :D Wave Dashing came after I did it by accident also, way before I came to this board.

Why you would NOTT do this or why it would be considered illegal I have no idea. Giving yourself artificial skill is not illegal, just as 'cheap' tactics are not illegal. You should do anything in your fair power to win, and if your opponent can but doesn't do it, it's still fair.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Screwdriver

Actually you don't need a 3 prong screwdriver or w/e, all you need is a very small flathead screwdriver. If you angle it right you can remove the screw. I had to take apart my controllers. One had a messed up B button and the other had a messed up Control Stick. I fixed the B button one but the other I can't fix unless I take apart the control stick mechanism. Anyone have problems like this? I would like some help. BTW, I'm gonna use the busted controller as a practice guide for new paint jobs. :cool:

Edit: Hey BBT, Maybe you should rename your SWF Compendium of SSBM Knowledge to something like Dictionary of SSBM or Just Starting? Look Here! or IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WD OR CC MEAN LOOK HERE NOW PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE! lol

FaxCo

Smash Cadet
This is just stupid...it's like using steroids in the olympics...that defeats the entire purpose of skill...by modifying your controller to make hard skills easier, just pointless lol.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
I don't take apart my controllers to modify them, I do it to FIX them. The only modification I would do it doing a custom paint job, but that doesn't affect the abilities of the controller itself.

Badboy Bighead

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dont know if this topic is dead but I clicked on superpichu's sig in the sex kick topic..

sry for bumpin it guyz

but it just occured to me that just the smallest tap of the L or R trigger makes the big shiled thingy, and there's no need to modify the controller to change it to take away the clicky thing.

thats wut ur talkin bout rite? in the L or R triggers the clicky sound that makes L n R hard to press..

er.. so u dont need to just tap the triggers lightly and it'll act like its a button, and I think it already is a button...

snex

Smash Master
no smores.. the L and R buttons are analog, but if you push them all the way in there is a digital trigger at the bottom. the idea of this topic is to remove the analog portion of the button, because you can only wavedash/powershield with the digital portion, and removing the analog portion also makes it so that you dont shield after your wavedash/powershield unless you want to. it isnt too hard to get used to doing wavedashing without the shield, but it is still probably much easier when you never have to worry about it.

Top Bottom