• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Water Gun

BlueYoshiPinkShoes

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that I've only ever used Water Gun effectively against a few characters. Namely Ness, Lucas, and D3. Who else can Water Gun easily gimp?

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Link and Toon link, and maybe some ikes and tethers ...it can potentially gimp a lot of characters when they have already used the upB without sweetspoting the edge .....like marth :p

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I use it against everyone. Even if it can't gimp some characters, it can still be used to make it easier to edgeguard or to punish your opponents moves.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Use it on mid-air jumps. Steeler taught me this; it helps to force an Up B, which can generally be read easier than a mid-air jump.

Matt07

Smash Master
Water Gun also works really well on character aerials attacks. It makes them 'lag' so to speak, so you can set up for a free smash, etc. I dunno, but you guys probably already knew about this already.

Mario's FLUUD does the same thing so, I thought I'd try and help out.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I'd say go and try using it on the vast majority of characters (except maybe the fliers). Even if it doesn't gimp their recovery, you're still skewering the opponent's pre-meditated route, and so the opponent more prone to edgeguarding.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I use it against everyone. Even if it can't gimp some characters, it can still be used to make it easier to edgeguard or to punish your opponents moves.
gannon and falcon get owned by this.
I'd say go and try using it on the vast majority of characters (except maybe the fliers). Even if it doesn't gimp their recovery, you're still skewering the opponent's pre-meditated route, and so the opponent more prone to edgeguarding.
Yup.

10yups.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
my philosophy is that it can't hurt, so might as well use it. naturally it'll bother some chars more than others, but most characters hate getting their horizontal recovery stalled or negated a bit.

BlueYoshiPinkShoes

Smash Apprentice
Ah.
Thanks a lot guys.
Lets turn this into an official Water Gun Discussion Thread! I wanna see all of your best Water Gun gimps!

BlueYoshiPinkShoes

Smash Apprentice
haha.
I saw that one already.
I like you and Chaos' back and forth in the commments.
=D
OFf topic, but anyone down for PT Dittos right nao?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Does anybody use the uncharged version? As a counter attack maybe? It can lead to some decent moves.
Very rarely. Usually I forget about it. 12% isn't bad, but if you mess up you're going to get hit.

My favorite use for Water Gun is to push Snake's into their own Dsmashes.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
So when is it the right time to charge? At the beginning of the match (if you're not pressured)? After to hit the opponent away? I'm always trying to figure out a good time to charge it, seeing that I rarely use it in the first place.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I generally do it when I'm moving forward in the air but not really near my opponent.
Or whenever I'm just generally alone. But I do it in the air so I can move forward, as well.

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Yeah I almost always charge water gun if I have a second of not doing something.. It's fast and not risky. Although I do actually use the uncharged version of it occasionally. I don't do it often, but when I do the opponent isn't expecting it and usually just blocks for a split second and takes most of the hit. I like to use the uncharged version out of a hop towards the opponent, sorta like Zard's rock smash.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
i charge it whenever i am knock off stage. It makes di-ing towards the stage easier.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
no extra momentum or anything like that. It just makes di-ing easier. Also i use it to protect my recovery against people who like to charge smashes near the edge.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
sometimes i like to squirt water at my oppoenent and run aawy and yell at them "YOU JUST GOT FUCKING WET SON GET *****" adn thats it really but once i used it and i pisehd him off the edge Lmao

PSI Locke22

Smash Apprentice
using water gun helps in some cases but mostly when you are trying to recover or when your opponent is trying to recover.

Phoenix812

Smash Cadet
Well for me, I usually charge it up right at the beginning of the match since I don't have to worry as much because my opponents are thinking of their first moves. For me, I use it when my opponent is trying to recover or if they're jumping straight into the air from the edges of the stage in order to perform an aerial attack or escape. [example: Ike's Side-B or Fox's Side-B) This proves to be quite a good way to catch the opponent off guard if he/she plans to use an aerial attack. It can serve as a good shield from attacks and can be used on those who are charging their smash attacks/special attacks [such as the Falcon Punch or the Warlock Punch]. When you're using a fully charged Water Gun, make sure it hits its target for the time it consumes while being shot can be used to let your opponent deal a fatal attack.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Watergun is hard to place in terms of when is the best time to use it. And to judge when it is the most effective during said recoverys, aerial gimps, etc is rather hard to do since enemies can minorly DI with the current to disturb them from getting further delayed in their momentum. In my opinion, just use it often because you never know when it'll be precise.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Does anybody use the uncharged version? As a counter attack maybe? It can lead to some decent moves.
Well, I do suck with PT, but I play around with it on wifi. Uncharged FH watergun weaving in and out thrown in with jab attacks, etc.

Using it to screw up people who want to dash attack or roll towards you sets up for grabs pretty well.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So I read somewhere (either in a Squirtle or a Mario thread) about pushing people off when they're charging attacks near the edge, like Quickdraw or Nikita with watergun.

I improvised on that technique and successfully pushed:
Ike (Eruption)
Snake (Nikita)
Ness (PK thunder)
Ike stand > jab (lol I pushed him off before he jabbed, so it became an N-air)

off of the stage by jumping in front of and walking into them as Sonic.

Top Bottom