• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Warning to UK users!!!! Very Important!!!!

CedricIzDead

Smash Journeyman
DO NOT PERFORM A WII SYSTEM UPDATE (this only applies if you have a freeloader)

It renders the freeloader usless, so therefore you can't play brawl!!!!

I know this from first hand experience, so I have to wait for the UK release (what is it, like 27th?)

Edds

Smash Ace
american wii ftw. now i can move my mii to my mii parade i think?... wow

ive always wanted to do that nintendo. who the bloodly hell uses that thing more than once?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
nintendo just being gay. wish i had logged onto the boards yesterday. now i have to wait
I agree, but your rant at nintendo is far too short. Nintendo having annoyed me already at the time having to wait for decent games including brawl now go and do this. Is it Feb that the Japanese got brawl? And we still haven't got it yet? The freeloader is the one thing (aside with screwing with your wii) that remedies this and then they decide they'd block the freeloader as well. Thanks again nintendo :embarrass

P.S. Good idea putting the warning up- I updated mine about 5 days ago. Close call

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
hahahahahaha @ all of you who updated

"man i cant wait till 27th june i must get brawl now...even tho its ****"

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
The people who think Nintendo is silly for patching this don't understand why they did it:

They patched something called "Twilight Princess Exploit" which is what the FreeLoader uses (The Data from Twilight Princess) it's a bug in TP where you can call up the Debug menu, from here anything can be installed/launched, this is where a lot of applications come from, such as WiiHomeBrew etc, Nintendo is stopping that not the Freeloader.

They mainly did this because of:
* Installation of Roms that are Virtual Console Games in channel form to the Wii using TP Exploit.
* Abusiveness of the System with custom channels and emulator channels such as SNES9X
* Glitches such as removal of other channels that were installed beforehand that are not meant to be removed.
* Duplication of some channels (this is possible through a serious of glitches, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT WEATHER AND NEWS.)
* Less User Control, they want to remain in control of what happens with your console.

It's mainly the Virtual Console thing however, I presume they were seriously pissed at that.
If theres anyone to blame for this, it'd be the ones with chipped wiis and use this stuff (This includes myself, I admit I've done it but I've not installed any VC channels just an emulator which I've only used once.) and the people who write the programs and publish them to the Modchip'd wii community.

I've updated now cause I have a modchip but I don't care if I can't use the freeloader ever, I'm region free anyway...

This is why ModChips will always be the best option over a freeloader.

If I was in Nintendo's position, I would have done the same thing, The region lock is there for a reason, aswell as paying for VC games and no option for installing custom channels.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE IT DON'T WORRY PEOPLE ARE WORKING ON A DOWNGRADER FOR THE WII JUST LIKE THE PSP.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Ofcourse modders have no right to whine about system updates it's nintendo's right afterall to counter hacking. But that region lock thing is just ********. If it wasn't for that thing importing wouldn't be a problem. I don't understand why nintendo needs to force a different version onto the consumers that are willing to play a American one. The dutch get no benefit from a euro version whats so ever besides small extra's added yet we gotta wait for ages for stuff to be released. The wait is so long that industry game designers at my school even have modded consoles to keep up to date with the games released.

I wait anxiously for the day that tv standards are the same globally and we can just treat the system like a handheld system.

I hope we can still acces the debug menu of brawl when that's figured out. It helped tons with melee.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
Zelda explit will be boom when its made nice homebrew like the psp =P
Thats the thing Charles, they blocked it.
However, with this downgrader it's practically possible to downgrade, mod, then upgrade, etc, etc, whenever you need to.
It's a brilliant idea.

Ofcourse modders have no right to whine about system updates it's nintendo's right afterall to counter hacking. But that region lock thing is just ********. If it wasn't for that thing importing wouldn't be a problem. I don't understand why nintendo needs to force a different version onto the consumers that are willing to play a American one. The dutch get no benefit from a euro version whats so ever besides small extra's added yet we gotta wait for ages for stuff to be released. The wait is so long that industry game designers at my school even have modded consoles to keep up to date with the games released.

I wait anxiously for the day that tv standards are the same globally and we can just treat the system like a handheld system.

I hope we can still acces the debug menu of brawl when that's figured out. It helped tons with melee.
I'll reply a little to this at the moment:

It's the languages and how long it takes to translate, I know what you mean about us and the Americans in some way how we could have just used there version and had it changed to PAL 60, I hate the whole NTSC and PAL TV thing also, I bought a TV that can handle both for this crap.

Modded console owners aren't whining, they're more laughing at the people who didn't mod and thought the FreeLoader would be safe forever... We can use the downgrader when it's out, and we have RegionFree built into our chips, we don't need the FreeLoader at all, it's just because the FreeLoader uses data from something that Hackers for ModChips found in Zelda that they find funny. Using an exploit to make money out of something without credit given to the guy that found it, (the guy that found it works with homebrew)

Anyway I have to go, later.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
It's the languages and how long it takes to translate, I know what you mean about us and the Americans in some way how we could have just used there version and had it changed to PAL 60, I hate the whole NTSC and PAL TV thing also, I bought a TV that can handle both for this crap.
I know that but thats a result from bad planning from Nintendo's side. The design documents for these games are done far before development starts so outsourcing translations shouldn't be a problem. I think they do it just too have enough in stock.

Also the reason for the brawl delay was said , by swedish representative of nintendo, due to the game not fitting on a dual layer with all the translations :S. I asked around at the gamedesign school I attend and they says that just a crappy excuse since text can't possibly can't take up that much space. I think the real reason is probaly logistics and spreading sales out over the year ( we got mkwii earlier for example). Then again they made some weird choices regarding the subspace emmisary levels and the prerendered cutscnenes.
Also another reason is, get this... the pokemon voices which they say has to be very carefully recorded >.>

Grimpeh

Smash Apprentice
Modded console owners aren't whining, they're more laughing at the people who didn't mod and thought the FreeLoader would be safe forever...
I would have chipped mine but i've had bad experiences with that, when my dad tried to chip our Playstation years ago he ended up breaking the console xD. Is it much easier to chip the Wii or is it just a case of getting someone that knows what he's doing to do it?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Shouldn't be too hard Charles chipped it himself.

I payed someone to do mine though.

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
I would have chipped mine but i've had bad experiences with that, when my dad tried to chip our Playstation years ago he ended up breaking the console xD. Is it much easier to chip the Wii or is it just a case of getting someone that knows what he's doing to do it?
I paid someone to chip mine, I watched a video of someone taking off the case and I just said "screw it i'm paying someone who knows what they're doing"

charles has experiance with soldering btw he did it a lot in college or highschool, i forget what, im sure he was careful with the case screws etc

my wii is modded to the max though, my light that alerts me of messages and indication of it being turned on or a disc being accepted is a lighter blue, the case is black and the drive is chipped.. i doubt nintendo would notice the difference if i had to send it back... [/sarcasm]

If you dont know charles or something check gbatemp.net's forums for modders in your local area

Top Bottom