• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Warlock punch! worth it?

El Drago

Smash Cadet
I hardly see anyone use this move. I would rarely use it myself once i got a feel for how slow it was. I feel that you are pretty much relying on your foe to make a mistake for this badboy to connect, but i had an experience today that has improved my gameplay as well as changed the way my fights roll. While fighting a pit, i was in a situation where i tagged him just hard enough to get him off the ledge with the sparta kick and followed it up with a warlock punch. Was it luck? Yes, but holy hell, it was a freakin KO at 12%!!!!

I continued to use it when my enemies are at low %s, and I think (although i have endless room for improvement) its also given me more control over the fight. If they know exactly how hard it hits, they now fear it and it can change their movement and attacks. Either way, they fudge thier rhythm to get away, they get insta-ko'd or they have to grab/tag you to interrupt it. Ganon is a big fat beast who can recover almost instantly. The slightest pop into the air can be retaliated with a wizards foot, or if you are still floored a flame joke or jab.

Unless this move is spammed or you start at stupidly-far ranges (or as an opener) the results are almost always good. It KOs light weights at a safe 25% area, mids at 35% and heavys at around 50%. Once they are over 70% you are officially wasting your time with this move, you can get a KO easily with a wide variety of moves at that point. Its also important to understand your enemy's kill range when using it. For example, against sonic i would say its safe to try it when your health is even at 100%, but against Ike, 50% is risking your life.

I think this move is a lot better than it looks, and the less its used, the more effective it is (especially holding off a long time for a 360 punch). I wanna know what you guys think/feel about it.

*WALL OF TEXT IN A NUTSHELL* I dont think this move sucks nearly as bad as it looks, use it more!

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
Surprisingly, I have landed this a few times on Human players. It is worth it if you can use it in a situation where you are not risking much. If your opponent is trying to recover, landing this will kill them no questions asked, but so will a down air, only with this you aren't risking your life using it unless facing anyone who can suicide, but even them approaching from a distance is dangerous with a Warlock punch. The same goes for the Volcano kick.

It is still going to be incredibly hard to use, but killing people under 30 percent with only the risk of being jabbed is pretty decent.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Not really up tilt may be a o hit ko sometimes but it can't be started in the air or turn it around. It even has an even has a longer start up. Warlock is better then crotch kick always.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
Yeah out of the few times I've used the warlock punch I've actually got a few lucky KOs with it. It's just players don't really expect it, and it can turn out to be a nice surprise. As for edge guarding I rather prefer using up-tilt since to me it seems like it has alot more range, and I've got alot of KOs with it on the edge. ;)

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's worth it.

I'm not sure if this set up will work, because I didn't get that much time with brawl, but lets say you catch your opponent with a side b near the edge of the stage, and you follow up with a warlock punch. If your opponent rolls in front of you then he or she is has nowhere to go, and gets hit with the warlock punch, but if you think your opponent will roll behind then you hit em with a 180 warlock punch.

Eff_Soul

Smash Cadet
lols i killed a link (i think it was shiv) today.He was upbing and i started wp.K-O'ed at a low percent(he still beat me at like all the matches we had though,LOL like 20 of em.)

I also did a warlock punch knowing it was going to connect since he was to close to the edge followed by a dair.Again k-o.

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
In Melee I would get kills with this against Fox/Falcos atleast once every 2 or 3 rounds...if I'd notice a pattern of them not sweetspotting I would just move back a bit and start one up...worked ALOT. Hopefully I'll still be able to do this in Brawl.

Crevelyan

Smash Cadet
In Melee I would get kills with this against Fox/Falcos atleast once every 2 or 3 rounds...if I'd notice a pattern of them not sweetspotting I would just move back a bit and start one up...worked ALOT. Hopefully I'll still be able to do this in Brawl.
The auto-sweetspot screws with this quite a bit.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
Like Crevelyan said, DPS is what counts, not slow, flinchable, groundbased attacks. Quick aerials or Charizard's rocksmash<3 work best.

J1nx

Smash Rookie
Yea this move great for casual games cuz it's totally hilarious when you hit. But don't use it outside of that.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I landed an Up tilt on a human player the first time yesterday.

It was during a free for all with anyone..

So I don't think that counts...

But i've landed many a warlock punch! Totally worth it.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
The only warlock punches I've hit, we're after a Foward B, "tech-predicted" he was going to roll behind me, started warlock punch, then turned around where he rolled... then dead...

d<_< b... somehow That's the only way I can think that can hit effectively during a match...

Crow02

Smash Rookie
I've connected this move a few times myself but it was almost entirely due to an error on my opponent's part. Still, that's all you need. I find if you're in a situation where your opponent is rolling a lot it will land every once in a while but its a risky move and someone good will be able to see it and punish you.

El Drago

Smash Cadet
I've connected this move a few times myself but it was almost entirely due to an error on my opponent's part. Still, that's all you need. I find if you're in a situation where your opponent is rolling a lot it will land every once in a while but its a risky move and someone good will be able to see it and punish you.

Yeah that was my main point, some times u gotta just give it a shot, if u fail, big deal, u take 5% more, if u succeed, KO.

Z-Magic

Smash Rookie
Lol my buddy and I do team matches he plays Ganondorf and I use Captain Falcon and I hold them while he Warlock punches them and its pretty effective but he has to be at the start of the warlock punch when i grab them.It also worked for me when I guy tryed to use metakights Down-b and before he hit me I finished my warlock punch and killed him at like 40% and my final KO on him was the Forward-b ganoncide lol. the warlock punch owns when used right plus hearing ganondorf yelling RAARRGGG!!! is awesome.

Garuda

Smash Ace
It's a lot easier to land this time around. But it's not as risky if you do it in FFAs in With Anyone mode. If someone takes a fan, make sure you stay away, and the guy with the fan might keep spamming A with two other characters. Take this chance to, at a slight distance, warlock punch them. It gives you a fantastic feeling. 3 whole rich points.

But I've found that his utilt is actually pretty useful in 1v1 matches. Gotta do it at the right time, of course, but its new property of sucking people in is so freaking awesome.

ctrlaltdestroy

Smash Cadet
actualy, i find that the warlock punch has a lot smaller hit area than the falcon punch, so it was odd going from capt falcon to ganondorf. but once you get a feel for it its a lot better. i usualy only use the move though when the opponent is somehow incapacitated, like they are buried or stunned. i atualy found out that ganondorf and zero suit samus are a wonderful team, her down smash or b attack is a wonderful set up for a warlock punch

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
Considering I managed to send the sandbag 1000 some odd feet with that move, and not even really try, (The bat vanished, so I just bunched it.) I'd say its more then worth it.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
no wow plz

DAMAGE PER SECOND. It's a lot older than WoW pally.

I've landed Utilt a few times after a flame choke and they use a getup attack. The Utilt pushes them back and depending on the range of the getup attack, you shouldn't be hit.

Massiveguns

Smash Apprentice
WARLOCK PUNCH uses!
step 1. SS' ur opponents shield into breaking
step 2. use Side taunt ->
step 3. 360 warlock punch
step 4. kill yourself your never going to be more manly then u just were

Sliq

Smash Master
Warlock Punch is only wisely used after beaking someone's shield

Any other time, you are just rolling some dice, praying your opponent blows. And if they get hit by it, then you should be winning by alot, unless you of course also blow.

Tenki

Smash Hero
hmm.. any shield breaking strategies for ganondorf? I find that when the shield gets small enough, my attack ends up hitting the person instead of the shield and it breaks THEM out of the shield instead T.T

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
The only warlock punches I've hit, we're after a Foward B, "tech-predicted" he was going to roll behind me, started warlock punch, then turned around where he rolled... then dead...

d<_< b... somehow That's the only way I can think that can hit effectively during a match...
I gotta try that. I have never Warlock Punched from a flame choke

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Warlock Punch is only wisely used after beaking someone's shield

Any other time, you are just rolling some dice, praying your opponent blows. And if they get hit by it, then you should be winning by alot, unless you of course also blow.
^This.

FORTUNATELY Ganondorf can break shields because he's so strong.

Also consider it if Snake does a really dumb recovery or something like that. Because Snake can't autosweetspot the ledge y'know.

Top Bottom