• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Bad Matchups

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
This fat plumber is very quick, yet gross. But,, for whom he's good against, there's also who he's bad against:

Ganondorf: Ganon will easily overpower Wario, and since Wario has not many KO methods, and Ganon is heavy, so it will take a while to knock him out, Wario will fall victim to Ganon's reign.

Mario: Down Grab, Up Tilt. Nuff said.

Zelda: Zelda can use her Din's Fire and the Nayru's Love to defend her from Wario's evasive Bite or and use Phantom Slash to dispose Wario's Bike if he is trying to ram her.

Ness: Ness, since he has sort of a chain grab, will chain Wario and pretty much everyone in the game, playable. Wario's Bike is no use against PK Fire, and Ness's PK Thunder Jolts can hold Wario back.

Little Mac: Can counter all of the Wario's moves, except Bite and his KO can kill smaller characters like Toon Link or Villager or heck Wario faster than normal sized or big sized.

Toon Link: Toon Link is very quick, more quick than Wario or his non-cartoon counterpart(Link). Toon Link can easily trap Wario with his Bombs and Arrows and hop around and can run faster than Wario's Bike? He can also destroy the Bike with his Side Smash.

Sonic: Fastest Character in the game. He can easily catch up to Wario and combo the living daylight out of him. He can also destroy the Bike if Wario is trying to attack or retreat with his Down B.

Well, that's all the bad matchups I can think off. You can name more, and comment if you like. Please don't be mean though, and I promise not to be mean either.

Thanks, and have a good day!

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I don't think any if those matchups are bad for wario at all lol. Ganon is laughable and little Mac??? Lol are you judging this by flat stages in for glory? Why would u ever play Mac on a flat stage. Mac is ass on 90% of the stages. The rest of those matchups are even even ness. Yes I said ness. You must have great spacing but it's def even. Can u post videos of ur wario id like to see your playstyle In action maybe I can help you.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Not being mean lol. I just wanna see some footage to see how u play and what ur playstyle is. I want to help u understand these matchups because these are matchups that u shouldn't be struggling with unless the skill level is that diff between u and ur opponent.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
I'm just saying who I had problems with in for glory online.

And, how do you post videos on youtube?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Mario's silly down throw to utilt combo can be broken by Wario's up special. The match ups you listed are either positive or equal for Wario.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The only one of those characters I've ever actually had trouble against is Toon Link, simply because of his disjoints and strong projectile game.

Wariuzzo

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, some of the worst are:

- Sheik: this can be very hard for Wario, Sheik's air game is incredible. Is hard to react when she goes aggressive with Fairs and more, you have to be patient and punish her when you can...at least Wario is heavy and she will take a while to kill him.

- Zero Suit Samus: Not much to say, she has got range and also speed, and her grab can easily get Wario off his bike. Dangerous.

- Villager: is like you have the bike banned here, it's a big risk if the villager gets it in his pocket. And i find that the bike is an important weapon for Wario in this game, so this match will not be easy. This guy is damn annoying for Wario, he got quick tilts and quick aerials...Fair has range and the NAir has a lot of priority.

- Luigi: ok, he got some range limitations...but Wario needs to be near him to do damage, and Luigi can be very dangerous when you are close him. His aerials are very fast and can be a problem for Wario to approach.

- Sonic: you can use the Bite for counter his spin dash...but damn, Sonic is so HARD to catch and punish! It will be an intense (and annoying) match against...

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I've had trouble with a very strong Yoshi player. He was raining eggs down with great accuracy, and was always following up right as the eggs landed. I couldn't approach with bike, as half the time I got nailed by an egg. So much of my time was spent avoiding eggs, I had trouble getting him. I generally play a more defensive game, but did I need to be more aggressive to prevent all the egg throws? I felt like when I was more aggressive, he was quick to punish my approaches.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
:4sheik:- One of the most maddening matchups in the whole game in my opinion. Can punish just anything Wario does extremely hard and largely shuts down his aerial game.

:4ness:-Also pretty awful. Plenty of options to shut down his aerial game, knock him off the bike, etc. Maybe this is his revenge for how he treated him and Lucas in Brawl?

:4zss:- Almost as bad as Sheik for pretty much the same reasons. Easily outspaces Wario, has lots of follow up options out of her grabs, difficult to approach without being punished, etc.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah I'm confident Ness is a bad matchup. He's bad enough in neutral where FAir and NAir shuts down a lot of Wario's air options. The biggest problem is when he's in an advantageous position. There really isn't much Wario can do. Ness is mobile enough to not let Wario reset to neutral and we're very prone to PKT juggles without the bike.

Noot unwinnable, though, but I find him the hardest personally.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
The biggest problem I've had was Rosalina. I can't get close enough to her because her range on attacks is so long. She can even stunt Wario's bike momentum. Sonic is probably the other hardest matchup I've had just because he's so fast that I don't have time to do a smash attack unless it's d-smash.

Ness has given me fits but I've generally managed to beat Ness. I hate that nearly all of Ness's aerial attacks have priority over Wario's.

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
I've had trouble with a very strong Yoshi player. He was raining eggs down with great accuracy, and was always following up right as the eggs landed. I couldn't approach with bike, as half the time I got nailed by an egg. So much of my time was spent avoiding eggs, I had trouble getting him. I generally play a more defensive game, but did I need to be more aggressive to prevent all the egg throws? I felt like when I was more aggressive, he was quick to punish my approaches.
You sound like the wario i played the other week. Was it a Yellow Yoshi by chance? I dont know many yoshis other than myself that use short hop eggs to covor my approach. Ill give ya some advice though, Wario is a monster against yoshi. Just stay close to yoshi and make good use of d-tilt and bites and make sure to follow up. Also, punish yoshi off stage with bite. he doesnt get it back and even if he breaks out (which you want to happen) you can always make it back and he will not. Yoshi wants distance to set up egg positioning. Just power shield them and trap him into a situation that allows you to out pressure his arials. F-air is very good as well.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
The biggest problem I've had was Rosalina. I can't get close enough to her because her range on attacks is so long. She can even stunt Wario's bike momentum. Sonic is probably the other hardest matchup I've had just because he's so fast that I don't have time to do a smash attack unless it's d-smash.

Ness has given me fits but I've generally managed to beat Ness. I hate that nearly all of Ness's aerial attacks have priority over Wario's.
Try to bait rosalina to the edge and use your bike as a projectile. More often than not it will knock luma off stage.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I have no problems still with any characters except Shiek fox and falcon( to some extent) I unfornately live in the same region as the 2nd best fox on the EC(many consider) and I swear I'm starting to think this MU is 7-3. Wario can't keep up, upsmash kills wario ridiculously early, wario gets up tilt comboed early every match, wario has no moves that beat fox up close, bite doesn't work against smart players, I'm forced to approach he'll sit back with lasers and get life lead then when I approach I get destroyed. Seriously this MU is horrendous. I think this fox is better than Nakats. Nakat atleast plays slow sometimes and plays more of a neutral. Also once im in the air I can't land safely at and it's game over. Yep that about covers it. 7-3 Mu in favor of fox unless someone can show me otherwise.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
You do realize you can break most up-tilt combos with up-b right? Bite comes out hella early and is definately a strong option. Like any set of tools, its how they are used to their fullest potential. Use your bike as a projectile and follow it with fair. Fox's trip from your dash also doesnt go very far and one of the lucky ones you can tech chase over and over. Get good use of f-tilt and u-tilt. the longated hit boxes and good knock back does wonders on fast fallers.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
You do realize you can break most up-tilt combos with up-b right? Bite comes out hella early and is definately a strong option. Like any set of tools, its how they are used to their fullest potential. Use your bike as a projectile and follow it with fair. Fox's trip from your dash also doesnt go very far and one of the lucky ones you can tech chase over and over. Get good use of f-tilt and u-tilt. the longated hit boxes and good knock back does wonders on fast fallers.
Biking against this fox is a horrible idea he punishes me every time. And I can never trip him because he never rolls. Bite used to work but now he just bairs it and punishes because he knows that my best option up close since downtilt and my jab both loss to his up close tools. Also I did not know up B gets out of that fox combo(like immediately?)

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Aren't you screwed if you up b to get out of it because you're free falling back down?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Rosalina isn't too bad. Wario can actually reliably take out Luma as its heavily prone to the bike, which Rosalina cant do much against but jump. Without Luma, she is pretty much bite weak. lol

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Rosalina isn't too bad. Wario can actually reliably take out Luma as its heavily prone to the bike, which Rosalina cant do much against but jump. Without Luma, she is pretty much bite weak. lol
Have ot strongly disagree with this. Whenever I've played an excellent R&L, they can take away the bike because of Luma's reach. Hit you as you're getting on or very good at hitting you when you jump off.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That's why you use the bike where it's really hard for the player to react to. Even if Rosalina shields it, Luma gets hit, and if it's anywhere near the edge it's pretty much dead.

Granted, it's easier said than done. I'm just saying we have that option.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Aren't you screwed if you up b to get out of it because you're free falling back down?
if his hit box or body is anywhere near wario, it will connect. his up b has a huge hit box. Ive seen some good warios use it to stage spike people by dropping down on them.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
if his hit box or body is anywhere near wario, it will connect. his up b has a huge hit box. Ive seen some good warios use it to stage spike people by dropping down on them.
Any videos of that? Just sounds completely awesome and I wanna see how it's done!

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
what are you guys' opinions on link? it feels like a matchup thatd be against us but im not 100% sure cause i was playin this guy who was clearly better than me, he was dancin on me with like 5 characters but the game he switched to link was the only game i beat him so idk if he just slipped or if i did particularly well or if the matchup isnt actually that bad?

bike seemed to counter arrows and boomerangs on their deployal, but not bombs, and you cant be reckless w/ bike because of his clawshot. gale riding w/ dash attack felt like the safest option if you fear the sword, it puts you waay behind him. throwin the bike at his recovery seems like itd be nice, i dont really know how to edgeguard clawshot recovery yet though.

idk what are you guys' opinions?

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
So I played Nick Riddle in tourney over the week and I am pretty sure ZSS has a 0 to death combo on wario. Grab, downtow, up air, up air to up b can kill you. So try not to to get grab by her. So yea, this is defently one of wario bad MU. also ban Battlefield against ZSS or you'll regret it.

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
Just thought I'd ask...how do you deal with a skilled Sonic was Wario?
The Sonic MU is one of the very few that I feel pretty unconfident about. I know Chomp works well against his spindash, I don't find myself landing too many bites on players that know how to mix up their approaches well. It's generally an uphill battle for me.

What are you guy's options against Sonic?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Both of the Links, Villager, and Ness are horrible matchups. God, I hate Link so much in this game.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Both of the Links, Villager, and Ness are horrible matchups. God, I hate Link so much in this game.
i dont struggle with ness or link in this game at all. i play really lame and you have to have a very good bait and punish game agaisnt those characters. ness has problems KOing wario because he mostly needs a throw to kill and there is no way hes going to be grabbing me not with my moblity and movment. villager on the other hand is a pain in the ass but its not unwinnable. none of these matches are. villager might be 6-4 but i find othe other matches to be pretty even. bike works well against link if he doesnt have bomb out jump off force him to block it and u get a free bite throw mixup. also links love to use smash attacks anytime wario gets close so easy to bait and punish. ness i just space with Fairs and wait for him to make a mistake. ness dies rather early as well hes pretty light. i usually go for a waft round 75-85% when im not blinking to catch him off guard and if wario gets the life lead on anyone hes a pain in the ass to win against. people get impatient when wario is up a stock and begin to rush and play stupid which makes his punish game very good and hes able to rack up a ton of damage before he loses his first stock.

PacBeast

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
4871-4293-8599
Not sure if this counts, but a fully charged laser (neutral special) from R.O.B. destroys his motorcycle, while any laser power under fully charged instantly dismounts him.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Diddy is a pain. He makes Wario's aerial game pretty difficult, and he can destroy his bike very easily.
ZSS is somewhat difficult too. I was playing against one earlier. It took a couple of matches, but once I could read 'em, Wario was pretty evenly matched.

Last edited:

crazyninjagod

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5215-0713-5279
wario is actually pretty good gainst mac since every time mac tryies to side b recovery wario can just bite him until he cant get back on and the bike really puts off mac and wario has aerial game which is amazing

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
:4zss:is definitely one of Wario's worst matchups. She outspeeds him, has a better airgame(in my opinion), can get a lot out of grabs on him, and Down B is ridiculously safe due to it's speed.

:rosalina: is obvious, but it's not THAT bad if you can consistently keep Luma out of the picture.

:4sheik: is also quite obvious.

:4shulk:,:4marth:,:4lucina: Sword users are annoying in general due to the fact that they outrange you in the air.

:4villager: can go both ways. If he gets your bike, you are deadmeat for slingshot gimping. Otherwise, you can abuse your better air game and your amazing Chomp.

:4robinm: is one I personally struggle with. He can seriously camp you out if you let him. ArcFire alone greatly limits approach options and LevenAerials are scary strong.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Y'all need some Abadango in your life.

But as for bad matchups ZSS and Samus are probably the worst considering they can even grab you off the bike.
I'm not away if this is the same with the Links, tether grab op.

I'm curious to know what you guys think of Wario vs. Sonic, as it would seem you can deal with his spin just by taking out the bike.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Villager and Shiek are IMO Wario's worst matchups in this game.

:4villager::4villagerf: - these a*holes can pocket the bike and make it un-usable for 30 seconds (or however long the pocketed item lasts inside). He's forced to throw it eventually though, or it will disappear.

:4sheik: - swats us out of the air like no other character can (except Diddy). Her ground mobility is very good. Needles can be eaten, but since she throws multiple ones, it's not a good idea to eat one and get hit by the following ones.

Top Bottom