• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario sucks?

Wobblerbox

Smash Rookie
hear me out! i love wario, hes my secondary, but im beginning to think hes bad, think about it, his Fair does 6 damage, his Dair does 8, his jab does 6, and rarely does both hits connect for some reason, his only kill move not counting the fart is his Fsmash, and its slow and laggy, now you can argue that other characters have weak moves, like shiek, but shieks weak moves combo into THEMSELFS, shiek can hit u 3-5 times with that weak Fair, his Ftilt is the same, wario doesn't really have any true combos, i usally play wario till i fight someone really good and loose, ill then switch to rob, my main, and stomp the yard :/ i think he needs some combos or some more fire power, what do yall think

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Wario may not have the best or most effective combo game, but I find many smaller combos to work well such as jab into Fair at low percentages or using the dash to trip opponents and set yourself up to combo or use a side smash.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I personally think he is great, and really like the way he plays. He feels to have a similar move style as DK, only that Wario is a "smaller and lighter version of him". What I mean is that Wario is not as quick and light as let's say Mario, but he's not a heavy fighter either. He's kinda in between. His N-Air feels really good. You can run towards your enemy, power shield, and shield-jump into a N-Air, fast fall, run towards them and do another one, etc.
His Side Areal as you describe as weak, yes, it's not the most powerful move, but it comes out quick. It's not often that my enemy manages to dodge it. I find his D-Areal to have good knockback. I've KO'd people (or at least knocked them far off the stage) many time with this move. His D-Tilt is excelent, as it now is superquick, and you can hit several of them in rappid succesion, or you can land one and run for a grab, etc.
And he has amazing specials. His Chomp is fantastic (at least I feel it is). It's a very safe move, as it will easily hit and it racks up damage. It's GREAT for edgeguarding as well (not to mention the most fun strategy in the game - if you are getting back on stage and they try to edgeguard, then chomp them and drag them to their doom! Never gets old! :D)

Wario Bike is another very safe move as Wario gets alot of protection (especially when going up on his back wheel). It's also quite powerful, and great for recovery. His Up Special isn't the highest in the game, but it has attack power, and since Wario has his Bike AND his Waft, recovery isn't really a problem.) Then his Waft - mah gawd, what a move! xD Even though it's easy to waste it, it comes out so quick for the 2 last stages, and it's super-powerful. I think I easily killed a Little Mac with the full power Waft when he was at 40% or something.

So to me, Wario is a great character with alot of mind games. Good areals, great specials, and some good ground moves as well, as well as recovering pretty easily :)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This character has great damage output, amazing mobility and great pressure game. No way does he suck.

He's probably not as good as in Brawl, though.

Last edited:

Wariuzzo

Smash Rookie
I think that he will be better on the WiiU version, cause he needs a lot of mobility, so a good controller is significant.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
He'll benefit greatly from the Wii U version, between being able to use his DACUS and fast fall aerials easily.

He's still a good character right now, though. His weight, mobility, and momentum glitch let him survive for ages, he builds damage easily, can gimp like a pro because of his ridiculous recovery, and he has one of the most potent KO moves in the game in the form of the half charged waft. His only real flaw is his lack of range making it difficult to approach, but that's arguably less of an issue then in Brawl because of the buffed Wario Bike.

I also get the impression that his bike parts only can't be used as weapons in the 3DS version because of console limitations, since I don't see why they'd have a tip about it if it's completely false in both versions. If he gets those back, he'll be a monster, since they really helped his lackluster approach back in Brawl.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Nah, he just blows.

...out of his rear end. :4wario2:

But seriously though, Wario is pretty solid. Mid tier at worst, high tier at best. Not quite enough to be top tier I feel, but still definitely pretty good.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
This character has great damage output, amazing mobility and great pressure game. No way does he suck.

He's probably not as good as in Brawl, though.
Ehh....debatable to me.
Losing his Dair shorthop approach suchs balls but everything else is solid. I find it even easier than in Brawl to combo with him, but i miss my crazy good dair approach lol.
Then again, bike approach is more epic. Approach in style my friend!

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
As a brawl Wario main, he's definitely not as good. None of his smashes are particularly good. Up and side are both very slow and have cooldown. Down smash, while usable now, doesn't provide the sort of knock back to warrant leaving yourself open on a whiff. Additionally, down airs don't auto cancel when short hopped and Nair is worse.

There are a few things that were improved though. The most obvious is grab release, so there's no completely one-sided matchups. Looking at you marth and dedede. Additionally, down tilt is a great spacing tool. It's fast and can follow up into other things. The bike seems to be safer and is still great at catching spot dodges and rolls. The fart being able to kill at full charge also gives you a chance at less predictability as to when you're going to use it.

All and all I'd say he's marginally worse off. He still will probably float around upper mid tier.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I think he's really pretty good. I don't think he'll end up as a high tier, but a solid mid. Fair is still good and with how important off stage play is in this game, especially to gimp, fair is fine.

Bair is my preferred kill move, I can punish many moves by jumping out of shield with bair. Not a bad poke at all.

I understand people jumping to say nair is terrible, and the jury's still out on that one IMO. I think it's very good, but very different from brawl. I use it to fast fall on the back of peoples shields. if the second hit connects, I get a free uair, fair, or bair depending on the DI. it's great for popping people into the air.

I would still keep a strong secondary for him when it comes to matchups like Villager and Little Mac, or maybe rosalina though.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
F-Smash and Down-B are his only kill moves? I've gotten decent kills with D-Smash, U-Smash, F-Tilt and B-Air. D-Air's last hit also does a decent amount of knockback.

You can combo with F-Air really easily offstage and recover with Bike.

Range is still his prime issue. Gonna say mid-tier this time around.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Wario is working pretty well for me to troll and trounce some high tier characters in the For Glory meta. They don't know how to deal with the bike poke. And characters like Sonic and Little Mac all keep running right into my open jaw.
In short: Wario will not be the best, but I think he is a good counter to many popular characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I disagree.

-Both the half charged and full charged fart can reasonably kill in this game.
-The bike comes out faster and charges his fart.
-Usmash and dsmash are no longer comically bad.
-Same great aerial game.
-Dtilt is faster.
-Chomp lasts longer.

The only really noticeable nerfs he's gotten is his fmash has lost its super armor (but has longer range) and his uair has lost it's kill power (but still does a decent amount of damage).

I don't think we'll see Wario's full potential until the Wii U version though because I feel he's a character that would greatly benefit from the Gamecube controller but, even on the 3DS version, he's probably about as good as he was in Brawl.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
While he's not top tier, I certainly wouldn't say he's bad. He's got a great recovery game (which was even better when Wectoring was still unpatched... :( ), plus he has a great variety of moves.

Not to mention how satisfying it is to KO people at 40 percent with a Wario Waft! :p

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Oh boy how many of you are optimistic about Wario. He is DEFINITILY not as good as he was in Brawl, not even close (this is coming frrom a Wario main since 2009). Wario is not even near High tier. To me, he is Middle Tier at best. Somewhere between Mid Middle Tier and Lower Middle Tier. Yeah, I know some of you may be thinking: "Oh boy how HE is pessimistic about Wario!" But really, I am only objective about Smash 4 Wario. Please give me a chance. I have plans to (in a thread) write down his pros and cons, nerfs and buffs. Please feel free to check it out once it is complete!

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy how many of you are optimistic about Wario. He is DEFINITILY not as good as he was in Brawl, not even close (this is coming frrom a Wario main since 2009). Wario is not even near High tier. To me, he is Middle Tier at best. Somewhere between Mid Middle Tier and Lower Middle Tier. Yeah, I know some of you may be thinking: "Oh boy how HE is pessimistic about Wario!" But really, I am only objective about Smash 4 Wario. Please give me a chance. I have plans to (in a thread) write down his pros and cons, nerfs and buffs. Please feel free to check it out once it is complete!
You're out of your mind. I prefer Wario in this game over Brawl and Wario was one of my Top 3.

The fact he can open up a new bike now without waiting a long time after its broken or out of the map is a huge game changer.

If you think he sucks I'd like to challenge you right now.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
While he did get buffed in numerous ways, I'd have agree that he's not as good as in Brawl, because the nerfs he did get are significant, plus practically everyone else got buffed to a similarly significant degree without any major losses.

Firstly, and most notably, he has lower aerial acceleration, meaning you can't weave in and out of range of your opponent nearly as easily as you could in Brawl, as it takes a moment for him to change directions now. This makes approaching safely with him even more difficult then it already was.

Second, two of his key aerials got nerfed hugely. Uair isn't a KO move anymore, and dair is too laggy to be shorthopped anymore, which robs of him of a safe shield poking option and combo move.

Third, he lost another reliable KO move with his changed forward smash. The only noticeable advantage it has over the shoulder tackle is range. The KO power is bad for how slow it is, and the lack of super armor means you can't trade hits with it anymore.

Lastly, he can't use his bike tires as throwing weapons anymore, which again hurts his ability to approach, as the tires caused enough hitstun to move in for an attack, could control space when bounced on the ground, and were a relatively safe way of building percent, as well.

Overall, it feels harder to approach and KO with him, which are both rather big issues. The buffed bike and Waft are nice and all, but I'd rather have his original airspeed and better uair and forward smash back.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
You're out of your mind. I prefer Wario in this game over Brawl and Wario was one of my Top 3. The fact he can open up a new bike now without waiting a long time after its broken or out of the map is a huge game changer. If you think he sucks I'd like to challenge you right now.
I think I am not. Yeah, of course it's nice how the bike can be spawned over and over without waiting those three seconds, but is it really worth it considering you have no tires now? Did you also know that the bike got several nerfs as well? Yeah, again: I think Wario sucks. He's not viable. This is a game where Diddy Kong, Sheik and Yoshi are stronger (=more powerful moves; they are overall stronger, knockbase wise) than Wario, so of course I'd think Wario sucks, but not with this fact alone. Wario has three strong moves that are situational and hard to land (Wheelie slam, Wario Waft and F-smash), and given his range and how ridiculous the shields and dodges are now, Wario isn't capable to reliably land those hits. His Up-air is super weak now, not being able to KO at even 150% with decent rage effect. To put it in perspective, I once battled my twin's Palutena on Gaur Plains omega. He was at around 150% and I was at around 120-130%. I double jumped and Up-aired him and he survived! The move was fresh! And this isn't even the only case I've encountered where this such thing has happened! And even Jigglypuff has a stronger Up-air than Wario has! (From my observations, at least.) Moving on, his f-tilt and d-smash has decreased knock back with both having less range than before. D-smash is d-smash, and f-tilt is disappointingly weak, but it can still net some KOs near the edges. Decent kill move at best. Up-smash is decent, but it can be hard to land and it isn't exactly as fast as Mario's and Luigi's. F-throw needs to be fresh and near the edge to be a kill move. The opponent needs to be at high %s and you too. Bair is quick, but too bad it has to be staled since it's an important spacing tool Wario has, like f-tilt. Wario is pathetically weak. I can say that without even the need to exaggerate.

This is just how terrible Wario is at killing actually. And this isn't even his biggest flaw. Want to read more? Please visit my thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/warios-pros-and-cons-nerfs-and-buffs-as-of-version-1-0-4.380094/. Also, I accept your challenge.

Wario is heck better here then in Brawl, xzx, lot better. And this is a Wario Main telling you this.
No, he's definitely not. He's not even close to good in comparison to Brawl Wario. I have mained Wario in Brawl since mid-late 2009 and decided to try to main him in Smash 4. I was disgusted. I noted the sad differences and ridiculously nerfs he gained. Also, what Rakurai said. Want to know more about why I think Wario sucks and is a lot worse in Smash 4 than in Brawl? Please head over to this thread right here: http://smashboards.com/threads/warios-pros-and-cons-nerfs-and-buffs-as-of-version-1-0-4.380094/.

I say all this in a friendly manner. I am happy to discuss this with you. But can you please, if you on the whole can, explain why Wario in Smash 4 is better than Brawl Wario? What things do you see that are overall better in Smash 4 Wario than in Brawl Wario? Why do you think that?

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I was down on wario for a bit but I am beginning to think he's quite good. You def have to play more defensive with him. You can put up a wall of frame one FH Fairs and half the cast can't even deal with it then mix in some ground pressure. His Ftilt is a reliable Kill move for me as well as a half charged waft which no one is ever looking for they all expect him to be blinking for some reason. He's def no able to play as aggressive like before like I said. He's completly a bait and punish character now. Gluttony got 2nd at a major yesterday using wario losing to Leon and the games were really good. I think wario goes even also with Diddy sonic rosalina and I think he beats Lucario(the fox and falcon MUs I'm undecided and he loses to Shiek).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is there footage of Gluttony's Wario? Interested to see how he plays him in this game.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
The only noticeable advantage it has over the shoulder tackle is range. The KO power is bad for how slow it is, and the lack of super armor means you can't trade hits with it anymore.
Although the new fsmash is infinitely worse than the old one due to the lack of armor and speed, it has way more knockback than you think. It is probably within the top 5 highest knockback Fsmashes, seriously, it's very strong. You can kill Mario from the edge at about 65% with it. It isn't even that slow considering it's power (same speed as Sonic's fsmash), the thing that makes the move garbage is the gigantic lag it has. It's probably laggier than the old dsmash from Brawl.

Last edited:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I think I am not. Yeah, of course it's nice how the bike can be spawned over and over without waiting those three seconds, but is it really worth it considering you have no tires now? Did you also know that the bike got several nerfs as well? Yeah, again: I think Wario sucks. He's not viable. This is a game where Diddy Kong, Sheik and Yoshi are stronger (=more powerful moves; they are overall stronger, knockbase wise) than Wario, so of course I'd think Wario sucks, but not with this fact alone. Wario has three strong moves that are situational and hard to land (Wheelie slam, Wario Waft and F-smash), and given his range and how ridiculous the shields and dodges are now, Wario isn't capable to reliably land those hits. His Up-air is super weak now, not being able to KO at even 150% with decent rage effect. To put it in perspective, I once battled my twin's Palutena on Gaur Plains omega. He was at around 150% and I was at around 120-130%. I double jumped and Up-aired him and he survived! The move was fresh! And this isn't even the only case I've encountered where this such thing has happened! And even Jigglypuff has a stronger Up-air than Wario has! (From my observations, at least.) Moving on, his f-tilt and d-smash has decreased knock back with both having less range than before. D-smash is d-smash, and f-tilt is disappointingly weak, but it can still net some KOs near the edges. Decent kill move at best. Up-smash is decent, but it can be hard to land and it isn't exactly as fast as Mario's and Luigi's. F-throw needs to be fresh and near the edge to be a kill move. The opponent needs to be at high %s and you too. Bair is quick, but too bad it has to be staled since it's an important spacing tool Wario has, like f-tilt. Wario is pathetically weak. I can say that without even the need to exaggerate.

This is just how terrible Wario is at killing actually. And this isn't even his biggest flaw. Want to read more? Please visit my thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/warios-pros-and-cons-nerfs-and-buffs-as-of-version-1-0-4.380094/. Also, I accept your challenge.

No, he's definitely not. He's not even close to good in comparison to Brawl Wario. I have mained Wario in Brawl since mid-late 2009 and decided to try to main him in Smash 4. I was disgusted. I noted the sad differences and ridiculously nerfs he gained. Also, what Rakurai said. Want to know more about why I think Wario sucks and is a lot worse in Smash 4 than in Brawl? Please head over to this thread right here: http://smashboards.com/threads/warios-pros-and-cons-nerfs-and-buffs-as-of-version-1-0-4.380094/.

I say all this in a friendly manner. I am happy to discuss this with you. But can you please, if you on the whole can, explain why Wario in Smash 4 is better than Brawl Wario? What things do you see that are overall better in Smash 4 Wario than in Brawl Wario? Why do you think that?
Agree to disagree my friend. Wario is different from Brawl but he's not worse. I'd like to see a video of how you play.

Yes I probably work harder to get a win but you're underestimating the value of regenerating a bike faster and the fact Wario has one of the best all around recoveries IMO. One of the hardest to kill in the game.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wario is probably better in this game than he was in Brawl by virtue of everyone else not being super-broken. He has a lot of changes, some good and some bad. Lost some stuff while getting really nice quality of life changes elsewhere.

All of his specials are noticeably improved. Neutral-B went from being borderline-useless at high-level play to being amazing. Forward-B went from being relegated to recovery and tire stuff to being a great all-around option. Up-B sweetspots the ledge and functions as a real recovery move. Down-B hits harder and is arguably easier to land (combos out of sourspot N-Air more easily and the ledge game works in its favor).

Last edited:

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, and Wario is quicker, faster, the F-Smash and the new Up Smash can kill faster than his old ones and his bike is faster too.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong may have more pop than Wario but all around wario is better IMO.

The significance of his bike and if you use it right are huge. His bike essentially makes him one of the fastest characters in the game.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
xzx,

If you mained wario since '09, you are probably very used to using him a particular way, which capitalized on his strengths. Do you feel a month or two has been enough time to adjust your play style and strategy to account for his improvements? If i played a character that long, it would take me a long time to learn to play a character a different way.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
xzx,

If you mained wario since '09, you are probably very used to using him a particular way, which capitalized on his strengths. Do you feel a month or two has been enough time to adjust your play style and strategy to account for his improvements? If i played a character that long, it would take me a long time to learn to play a character a different way.
This is why I thought wario sucked when this game came out as well. I played way to aggressive and played a brawl type wario when in fact hes more defensive and has amazing tools to annoy people with what I call air footsies. His bike is great and can be used as a zoning or rushing tool and his bite is so goooood for mixups. I was the biggest wario hater but I'm starting to feel his high tier and def top 15 in the game maybe better. Waft is so strong in a 2 stock rule set. With the ability to run away on platform stages as well. He's dangerous.

xzx

Smash Lord
Agree to disagree my friend. Wario is different from Brawl but he's not worse. I'd like to see a video of how you play. Yes I probably work harder to get a win but you're underestimating the value of regenerating a bike faster and the fact Wario has one of the best all around recoveries IMO. One of the hardest to kill in the game.
If you want to see how I play then the best way to see that is by battling me. You still up for that challenge, right?

Wario is probably better in this game than he was in Brawl by virtue of everyone else not being super-broken. He has a lot of changes, some good and some bad. Lost some stuff while getting really nice quality of life changes elsewhere. All of his specials are noticeably improved. Neutral-B went from being borderline-useless at high-level play to being amazing. Forward-B went from being relegated to recovery and tire stuff to being a great all-around option. Up-B sweetspots the ledge and functions as a real recovery move. Down-B hits harder and is arguably easier to land (combos out of sourspot N-Air more easily and the ledge game works in its favor).
I have to disagree with the first part. I don't see Wario's buffs outweighing his nerfs. Being much weaker and also less safe due to that obnoxious decrease in air speed and acceleration, I don't think the buffs in his specials can remedy that.

xzx,
Well yeah, enough to notice his very obvious flaws. I felt it right away that Wario got some serious and unnecessary nerfs without much buffs to make up for it. But maybe I am wrong, although I don't strongly think that. Overall, what Brawl Wario could do, Smash 4 Wario can't do (better as well).

This is why I thought wario sucked when this game came out as well. I played way to aggressive and played a brawl type wario when in fact hes more defensive and has amazing tools to annoy people with what I call air footsies. His bike is great and can be used as a zoning or rushing tool and his bite is so goooood for mixups. I was the biggest wario hater but I'm starting to feel his high tier and def top 15 in the game maybe better. Waft is so strong in a 2 stock rule set. With the ability to run away on platform stages as well. He's dangerous.
Well, this tendency was shown in Brawl Wario's case as well - everyone thought he was a super good character back in Brawl, making him the third best character, which later proved to be false. Now he is at the bottom of high tier. I have noted that players tends to overrate Wario. This happened in Brawl and is happening in Smash 4 too. I'm glad you feel this way though, but I can't agree with you that Wario is a good character, and definitely not high tier quality.

---

But really now, everyone: What makes Wario better in Smash 4? What can make up for his severely decreased air speed and acceleration and overly-nerfed killing power and KO options? What can make up for his loss of tires? It is the answers (if they even exist) to these questions I seek.

Thanks!

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
It's more than nerfs but over the games system mechanics are diff. You know how easy it is to punish someone in this game with a waft. Much easier to land than in brawl. Also his air speeds is still better than the majority of the cast. It's not brawl speed but he by no means is slow. Bike practically goes threw most projectiles like a joke as well plus the fact he can call it pretty much at will. I think the games over system changes made wario a solid character. He's top 15 worthy. He may not be top 10 but he also still beats some of the top tier characters or at least goes even. Also in competitive play wario is the king of platform stages. His worst stage is FD and its not even that bad. Let's see how he progresses. I'm gonna put my time in on wario developing the character and with yuekke(sp?) and gluttony already showing what he's capable of well where we end up.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday, I compared Brawl Wario and SSB4 Wario by playing a match as both. They both went against a Fox, and I beat Fox. I cannot believe, but xzx is right, the Brawl incarnation of Wario is better than SSB4 Wario, why, because that Wario has no problems killing, has a better bike, fart charges up faster, and his F-Smash can kill quickly and has super armor.

Sorry for doubting you, xzx.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday, I compared Brawl Wario and SSB4 Wario by playing a match as both. They both went against a Fox, and I beat Fox. I cannot believe, but xzx is right, the Brawl incarnation of Wario is better than SSB4 Wario, why, because that Wario has no problems killing, has a better bike, fart charges up faster, and his F-Smash can kill quickly and has super armor.

Sorry for doubting you, xzx.
Lol brawl fox is trash compared to fox in this game. Also I don't know how many of you actually play offline but wario feels 10x faster offline then he does online. I get to practice with a top fox player for melee and brawl and yes it's a hard Mu but it's not worse than 6-4. Fox has to be careful about his approach because of bite. And fox has problems killing heavier characters. He's going to go for a upsmash set up its like the only way fox can kill so u know its coming. U have to make good reads. I don't have problems killing I usually always land a waft it ftilt to kill. I'm very good at baiting someone into a set up tho.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
But really now, everyone: What makes Wario better in Smash 4? What can make up for his severely decreased air speed and acceleration and overly-nerfed killing power and KO options? What can make up for his loss of tires? It is the answers (if they even exist) to these questions I seek.
The environment around him is much more favorable. Landing is arguably a less daunting prospect for a number of reasons; grab release doesn't mean anything against Wario anymore, Neutral-B is bigger and has significantly less endlag, sourspot N-Air's long linger can often turn those situations around, and it's easier to camp with Forward-B than it was. You can still make good use of your airdodge, as it's better than most characters' by virtue of your shorthop height (you can still shorthop airdodge) and horizontal aerial mobility.

Breaking the ice is easier than it used to be; instead of airdodging like an idiot and waiting for the opponent to make a mistake (which gets harder as people make fewer mistakes), your spacing tools are more likely to trade or outright beat opponents' stuff on average. The range on F-Air and B-Air seems to be increased and still autocancel, sourspot N-Air sets up for combos better in the way people used to linger with it, Neutral-B is safer/bigger/allows you to drift a bit during start-up, and roll-cancel grab gives him a good mix-up in front of him.

Punishment generally isn't as strong as it was in Brawl, so you're not taking 60% from a single Falco read or forced to give so much space to Snake, so even when you get read or make mistakes, it's less detrimental to you than before. Wario's weight and great recovery combine to make him benefit from Rage more than most characters. Full Waft does more knockback than before, and without momentum canceling from Brawl, Waft is even more potent as a stock-ender than before, no matter what the charge.

His KO power is fine; Waft, D-Air, B-Air, F-Tilt and F-Throw are better than before in that respect. U-Air is still a decent option for it, and having some decent ground options to help stagger people expands his gameplay a good deal, with Jab having increased range, F-Tilt being safer, and D-Tilt being the equivalent of a "normal" Jab.

I think the issue is that Wario players are/were used to playing a very specific way, one that requires adaptation to manage in this game. He's still great at waiting out the clock, he still has really strong punishes, he can still edgeguard relatively well. He lost some stuff but gained a whole lot in the meantime, and many of his worst matchups lost a lot more than he did.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
To touch up on some great points made. I feel I can rack up damage faster which makes his less powerful attacks KO potential.

I consistently rack up 100% damage on people quickly with small attacks. Not to mention a full waft on someone 50% more than likely will KO them.

Top Bottom