• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Brittleorgans

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0946-3139-5325
Tired of Olimar nair going into up smash or whatever dumb move he wants. Can I DI out of that junk? Planning to just not get hit by it anymore though. Broke out of one of his grabs (ground break) then just got hit with a smash when I tried dtilt to hit him. So shield was the only option I guess, then what, roll away from a grab? Then when Oli uses up smash on my shield and pushes me too far away to just do oos nair idk what to do then either.

Then there's this, "He's gonna time me out so I must counter pick D3" that makes no sense to me. =p

I noticed these Dedede's like to pummel on the last hit near the ledge and I could mash out really quickly and dodge the air break stuff. Then the break would just toss me like right under the stage which put me in what seemed like a spot for D3 to just run off and bair like a maniac. It was awkward, so mash out and double jump/air dodge back on stage maybe? I had no clue where my double jump could take me or where I was winding up so pretty much had a panic attack and dunno what I could've done.

D

Deleted member 189823

Could someone explain to me how to do Wario's long Glide Toss? I hardly used to get it...like, there's not need to go into frame-by-frame (I'd actually prefer not to, since we don't play/think by frames, anyway). Like, is the timing really quick or does it have to be late?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, the short one is done by going slower, so it sounds like you need to be faster with the inputs.

D

Deleted member

Need help with lucario mu. Mainly how to approach when he reaches the 80-120 mark because his range increases and its hard to get a kill. Do I force the waft before its full? I know I want to avoid getting the sweetspot for full waft on lucario since it'll just build up his percent. Also, what OOS options are good against him? Clap>his dair? Any advice would be helpful for this mu

xzx

Smash Lord
Could someone explain to me how to do Wario's long Glide Toss? I hardly used to get it...like, there's not need to go into frame-by-frame (I'd actually prefer not to, since we don't play/think by frames, anyway). Like, is the timing really quick or does it have to be late?
It's all about timing and correct inputs. When I Long Glide Toss, I press the R-button while aiming with the Control Stick the direction I want Wario to glide and at approximately the same time I aim with the C-stick the way I want Wario to throw the tire/item. You gotta be fast with the inputs (like doing them almost at the same time). Practice this by throwing a tire upwards and eventually you will learn this soon. To be honest, I usually go with my "Glide Toss" feelings - you have to learn to have the right feel to master this. Or so it was for me...

Need help with lucario mu. Mainly how to approach when he reaches the 80-120 mark because his range increases and its hard to get a kill. Do I force the waft before its full? I know I want to avoid getting the sweetspot for full waft on lucario since it'll just build up his percent. Also, what OOS options are good against him? Clap>his dair? Any advice would be helpful for this mu
Well, only his Aura Sphere gets bigger - his other moves remain the same. Well, to put it simply: It doesn't matter at what percentage Lucario is on, Wario will almost always have a (somewhat) hard time approaching him regardless of the percentage since Lucario is a defensive aerial character which, with his floatiness and good air speed, can safely spam fairs horizontally and dairs vertically, creating walls of hitboxes. However, as Wario builds up more damage on him, Lucario will have the pressure advantage of getting stronger and stronger which can make one greedy to "KO him fast or else he will deal huge chunks of damage to me". Fishing for something is just disadvantegeous. Also, I wouldn't recommend trying to beat Lucario's dair with Wario's up-air. Lucario's kill moves are very predictable, so you shouldn't get KOed that early even if he has reached over 170%. At that point, both Wario and Lucario are in the zone of getting killed, but the difference is that Lucario is predictable while Wario isn't (as much).

My tip for you in this Matchup is to play patiently and be defensive as well and try to waft him and gimp him. I also want to mention the underestimated tires, which can help Wario in his approaches.

D

Deleted member

The problem with tires when I try to use them he cancels it with fair/aura sphere. Are you sure the hitbox/range stays the same? Seems to hit from further away the more percent he has and lasts longer. What do I do if he dairs my shield? I usually get daired twice in shield since it comes out before I can do anything else. Nair after 2nd one? His airial combat is tricky since he can actually challenge us in the air. What would you reccommend going for when hes off stage?

Labernash

Smash Lord
Lucario's aura-based moves do more damage the higher percent.

Don't challenge his dair. It's super easy to beat up Lucario from under him, but his dair beats everything out. Use you air mobility to move around him and tack on little percentage at a time. Camp for your Waft; try not to get him too high of % or go getting all your kill moves stale. Once he's at around 90-100% wait for the waft. And it looks like you don't know this, but the fully charged waft has less knock back (kill potential) than an almost fully charged waft. At about 1:30 (minute thirty seconds), it is a great to time to use it for killing. You want to use the fully charged waft when he's at lower percent to put on damage quickly.

Part of this MU is avoiding everything, so when he's kill %, don't take damage until you can waft him. In a perfect world, that's how it should go. Just keep a kill option fresh, kill him early.

Don't stay under him long enough to have to shield. But since it's impossible to follow a command like that, get out of there. Not every exchange has to be an offensive one. If he dairs your shield and you know he'll do it twice, roll. Roll then OoS Nair away. It's really hard to punish his dair on shield without perfect timing, inputs, and a slight mistake on his part. If he's REALLY low to the ground, then you can punish, but if he's spaced high up above you, just get out and regain control.

If he's offstage, stand near the ledge. Stay onstage and punish his recovery. His recovery options aren't the best, so if you stand onstage, you'll be able to punish him. The only reason you'd chase him offstage is for a hype KO, and you don't need that if you're struggling to beat him. Stay put, then put pressure on him to keep him offstage.

Tires are not important in this MU at all. He can do a wimpy AS and kill a tire. They don't help with approaching anyways, they are good for defensive traps to take on extra % or get extra follow ups. They hinder his good approaches, in his aerials, by not letting you use them. And if the bike is out there, he can unstale his moves, use it to hurt you, punish you for picking it up, and if you use the bike to damage him, it'll make his aura stronger so unless he's at 0% this is bad. Just keep it safe for recovery.

If you are approaching, you are not doing it right. You approach shouldn't be you jumping into him with a move from far away. You need to be moving around his zone. Get close enough for him to want to attack you, then punish him. Don't commit to things that will result in obvious damage to you. Get close, make him uncomfortable, then punish his knee jerk reactions. You won't get any high damage, multiple move follow ups. Tack on what % you can, little as it may be, and avoid taking a bunch I'm every exchange. You CAN live longer, just don't take percent you don't need for no reason and make sure you kill him early.

xzx

Smash Lord
The problem with tires when I try to use them he cancels it with fair/aura sphere. Are you sure the hitbox/range stays the same? Seems to hit from further away the more percent he has and lasts longer. What do I do if he dairs my shield? I usually get daired twice in shield since it comes out before I can do anything else. Nair after 2nd one? His airial combat is tricky since he can actually challenge us in the air. What would you reccommend going for when hes off stage?
The thing with the tires is not to actually hit with them - the real reason for the tires is that Wario can move around quickly with them. Even though Wario runs faster than he moves in the air, the tires can give a quick and fast boost to Wario's movement groundwise. This makes it easier to escape Lucario's close-to-ground (rising fairs/dairs) game and also coming in quickly with an approach, like glide toss upwards to aerial/f-tilt (up-angled)/f-smash, for example. So it's not the tires themselves that's important, it's the mechanics that are.

I'm sure it's only his Aura Sphere who gets a bigger hitbox. You have to ask the Lucario mains about this sake to discover if I have right or wrong, though. Also, I don't know if the hitboxes last longer, but it seems like it. But I'm not sure. Please do myself and yourself the favour and ask the Lucario mains about this, then post the results here, because I also wanna know!

If he dairs your shield, then just roll away. Not many options in that situation. The only thing that could beat Lucario's dair is Wario's thrown bike, I assume. If you manage to land a nair against Lucario then do a follow up, based on what would seem to work. Wario really has many options after a nair.

When Lucario's offstage, you can actually try to go all out. His ExtremeSpeed lacks hitboxes and invincibility, so you can just attack him with anything you want (try to push him away from the stage) - waft, fair, nair, bair, dair, Bike (ridden and thrown), tires and even the suicidal Chomp. I love to have a thrown, bouncing bike/tires near the ledge and hang on the ledge and going from there. Use your imagination! Wario should get free damage when Lucario is off stage (recovering state, since he can fight back with his aerials). Maybe even predict and punish his wall cling...?

Just don't approach Lucario blindly, if at all. All hangs on getting early kills on him while avoiding his finishers. What's problematic (and Lucario's greatest strength in this Matchup) are his Aura Hitboxes. He is predictable with his finishers while Wario's aren't, so getting KOed shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
If Lucario cancels out your tires, just punish him during the hitlag. If Lucario ends up getting spaced dairs on your shield, you shield too early. He has to be pretty high up for that and shouldn't be able to throw out dairs if you pressure him accordingly. Generally, Lucario should have difficulties with landing because you have the ability to weave around mindless dairs and punish them with bair or uair.

If he does a non-spaced dair on your shield you can just punish it with nair. The main issue is that you don't get one of those awesome look-I-combo-you-all-over-the-stage-now nairs but rather one of these holy-****-I-just-buffered-a-doublejump-out-of-my-shield ones. You're likely not to get followups but at least you end up getting some damage in ;)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Hey guys,

Just letting you all know that I will be participating in my last Smash Bros tournament ever. As I get approaching graduation from college, the more I see myself drifting away from Smash Bros in general and its a reason why I became more of a lurker than a poster. Regardless, I want to thank everyone on helping me get to where I am as a Wario main. I gained so much knowledge and insight just from reading and watching others play and without you guys to ask questions or study up on, I would never be able to picture myself in at Apex 2012/2013 or just tournament Grand Finals in general.

So again, thank you so much for helping me make this game and the Smash Bros experience in general really making it something special during the last five years.

xzx

Smash Lord
Be sure to link us the videos of your tournament matches and do your best too! =O

xzx

Smash Lord
One question: Does anyone know how much hitstun (in frames) a tossed tire does? I see they do quite the pot.

xzx

Smash Lord
Wario can never win against Meta Knight.

Don't approach him, tires do wonders, play defensively and wait for opportunities. Wario has many options but too bad Meta Knight completely shuts down many of them. Try to land wafts (which is almost impossible against Meta Knight anyway). I laugh hard at this Matchup whatsoever.

Final Destination and Smashville are better stages than what Battlefield is against Meta Knight. Meta Knight likes to control space around him and something that is aiding him in doing so is platforms, especially those that doesn't move.

Good luck.

VillagerComesToTown

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaygroom8
Am I the only one who wishes Wario would get a new move set? Don't get me wrong I've always loved Wario as a character in other games (Exp. Mario Baseball, Kart, etc. etc.) but I was a little up set with his move set I feel it could be better.

Top Bottom