• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Wario Alone" Translations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
NO, no, no and no. Co-op >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a stupid character with a few more colour swaps. Really, that didn't make a lot of sense. I bet there's more people who wouldn't give the smallest crap about an alternate costume, but would really really care about having co-op. (Co-op = PLUS, alternate costume = not really)
I can't say I agree with you on this. I love alt costumes in games; it makes me all that more attached to a character which is all the better in a game I play for the characters. Being able to play co-op in "Break the Targets"... That is something I could live without... :/

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
OOT-Clothed Link brought in tons of Zelda fans, probably more than any other Zelda game. Yet he probably wont' get honored with those clothes as an alt, instead just wearing his newest TP duds.

It makes no sense to just give Wario special treatment.
OoT is not anything different than TP Tunic. It's basically just a graphical upgrade. Similar to Mario 64 -> Galaxy

Yes, it does, seeing as he's the only one who deserves ir really.

Cless

Smash Champion
Buzz is right, are people really that disparate?
Yes, especially about Mega Man, but I have reasons for my Mega Man desperation.

OoT is not anything different than TP Tunic. It's basically just a graphical upgrade. Similar to Mario 64 -> Galaxy

Well, it's a little different, but nothing to write home about.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Buzz is right, are people really that disparate?
It's tough to believe something you really want isn't in Brawl, it really is. I can empathize with that to a degree.

With the announcement of 3rd party Snake way back when, Brawl seemed like a magical wonderland of a game where anything could happen. Bit by bit, possibilities are being stripped away even before the game comes out.

This is bound to be many peoples favorite game for a long time, so knowing one thing you wanted that didn't get in is frustrating. Even if it is a costume.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
NO, no, no and no. Co-op >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a stupid character with a few more colour swaps. Really, that didn't make a lot of sense. I bet there's more people who wouldn't give the smallest crap about an alternate costume, but would really really care about having co-op. (Co-op = PLUS, alternate costume = not really)

Please. I can understand your frustration, and I'm sorry about it, really. But there's some stuff you should think before posting them. I, for one, and I don't think I'd be alone, would be fairly dissapointed if, say, Mario had a Dr. Mario costume which makes him exactly the same Mario but with a freaking doctor costume instead of Co-op.
Co-op home run contest? Co-op break the targets? Hell, I don't even really care for co-op events...I'll be playing these only once anyways. Awesome alt. costumes will last forever, considering Vs.mode will be played forever.

IMO, playing co-op mode for a game mode that I'll only play once isn't as cool as alternate costumes that I will be using in Vs. matches for years to come. Just my opinion.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
With the announcement of 3rd party Snake way back when, Brawl seemed like a magical wonderland of a game where anything could happen. Bit by bit, possibilities are being stripped away even before the game comes out.
Jeez... third party. I wish they wouldn't have ever considered it. It's just going to make a lot of people disappointed that their favorite character's not in Brawl.

"ZOMG! Vincent isn't in!?"

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Personally, waiting any longer than until February 10 would be far worse than losing a few new features. I want this game... NOW.

Rash

Smash Ace
This game has the huge capacity to both disappoint and surprise. It wouldn't be the highest profile Nintendo game if it didn't.

Obviously, some people will feel burned if the possibility of alternate costumes for all characters is out for everyone but Wario. Some people will also feel burned if their favorite character doesn't make it into the playable roster. However, that's just the way things are. And, on top of it, there are surprises that the Dojo has already revealed which may heal certain wounds, i.e. the Stage Builder and the Subspace Emissary.

I think Brawl will continue to surprise people. Not only that, but it will end up with more content than we had at first thought it would include. Sora is packing this game tight, but a lot of sacrifices have to be made, and in the process, some dreams of fans may have to be crushed. But, for them to fit everything the fanbase really desires to be in the game, they'd need every person at Nintendo working on the game, and they'd need multiple discs (maybe even multiple Blu-Ray discs if the Wii was capable of using them) in order to succeed. That, my friends, is the reality of the situation.

Kittah4

Smash Ace

You're telling me you can't see appreciable differences in the costumes in both style AND quality between the two links? Besides, Brawl Mario is way different than Galaxy Mario anyway.

And deservingness is an opinion more than anything. Wario didn't NEED his overalls more than anyone else needs an alternate costume. He'll still be using attacks from his WW arsenal, and he'll still be branded with that W icon, and overalls wario does not appear in the WW games to my knowledge. Wario could have been just as well off with an alt color scheme that emulated his classic colors (theres a picture in the alt colors topic of such a thing, it looks quite nice.)

To me and anyone else who's not a proper Wario fan (I tolerate him), I would suggest that leaving overall wario out and giving no one an extra costume would be more acceptable than this. It even says on his bloomin' character update that he appears in his Wario Ware costume.

Cless

Smash Champion
It's true, but I got Link and Sonic so I'm happy. All I want is Krystal, and I won't be sad if she isn't in.
Well, I won't be sad if indeed Mega Man doesn't get it, but I will be disappointed with Nintendo and Capcom at missing a golden opportunity. I mean, I like Krystal and Ridley and all, and they do get priority over Mega Man or any other third party were the choice between them and a third party, but neither of them has anywhere near the track record that Mega Man has with Nintendo despite his not being a Nintendo character.

Cless

Smash Champion
You're telling me you can't see appreciable differences in the costumes in both style AND quality between the two links? Besides, Brawl Mario is way different than Galaxy Mario anyway.

And deservingness is an opinion more than anything. Wario didn't NEED his overalls more than anyone else needs an alternate costume. He'll still be using attacks from his WW arsenal, and he'll still be branded with that W icon, and overalls wario does not appear in the WW games to my knowledge. Wario could have been just as well off with an alt color scheme that emulated his classic colors (theres a picture in the alt colors topic of such a thing, it looks quite nice.)

To me and anyone else who's not a proper Wario fan (I tolerate him), I would suggest that leaving overall wario out and giving no one an extra costume would be more acceptable than this. It even says on his bloomin' character update that he appears in his Wario Ware costume.
I'm not a proper Wario fan, but I did not like the fact that they used his WW costume. Besides he'd be incredibly out of place next to Mario, Luigi, and Waluigi were they not to include his classic costume. Name me another character that has a classic costume that is appreciably different from their current one and relevant to the character.

edit- Crap, I forgot I posted before. Oh well, it's not like I make a habit of it. Come at me mods!

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

Yes, there are differences between Link's OoT and TP tunics, but that's because he recieved a graphical upgrade.

Wario's a lot more famous for his overalls than his WW costume.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
There really is nothing left to discuss. Wario is the only one with an alternate costume.

Rash

Smash Ace
Name me another character that has a classic costume that is appreciably different from their current one and relevant to the character.
There actually isn't much, to be honest. Fusion Suit Samus, maybe?

That, and a Ness costume for Lucas would satisfy me. I agree that no other costumes are really relevant to their characters, except maybe a Dr. Mario costume.

Cless

Smash Champion
Fusion Suit Samus is an arguable Power Suit recolor with a more ergonomic look. Actually, what did the Fusion Suit look like after you got the Varia Suit?

A Ness costume would honestly anger me. It'd be like, "Really Sakurai? You couldn't have just left him in the game?"

And Falco and Krystal for Brawl. Preferably SFAd Krystal.

>.>
<.<

What?

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
There actually isn't much, to be honest. Fusion Suit Samus, maybe?

That, and a Ness costume for Lucas would satisfy me. I agree that no other costumes are really relevant to their characters, except maybe a Dr. Mario costume.
I've been calling a Ness colored shirt and maybe Lucas with black hair, as a color swap, for the longest.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I'm not a proper Wario fan, but I did not like the fact that they used his WW costume. Besides he'd be incredibly out of place next to Mario, Luigi, and Waluigi were they not to include his classic costume. Name me another character that has a classic costume that is appreciably different from their current one and relevant to the character.

edit- Crap, I forgot I posted before. Oh well, it's not like I make a habit of it. Come at me mods!
Let's see how many I can think of eh?

Samus - Power Suit (see Classic Samus trophy in Melee)

ZSS - Justin Bailey jumpsuit

Fox - 64 costume is quite different than his current one

I guess thats really all, classic costume wise, however, the total potential for extra costumes is through the roof. The thing is, most everyone appearing in brawl has been embelleshed to their current iteration then (lots of them) embelleshed some more. It seemed like Sakurai wanted the plumber persona gone from Wario, but there it is.

linkrulezz

Smash Cadet
give up wario is the ONLY one with a alt costume
BUT you never know sakurai is playing with our minds!!! (darn you sakurai !!)

offtopic- if falco dont make it in to brawl i hope atleast krystal or wolf

rj42492

Smash Rookie
Wow, I only made this thread on the off chance someone with Japanese knowledge would translate the update from the original site (which SamuraiPanda did, thanks!) but it's spiraled off in an awful direction. As much as I want alt. costumes, if I could only have one, it would be Wario, as all of my favorite Wario games (Wario Land 2,3,4) and all the Mario spinoff games have Wario in his classic outfit, and it didn't really feel right for him to not have it in Brawl. Unless Sakurai tomorrow says "And all these other characters will have costumes too!" I feel pretty confident saying Wario is the only one.

Cless

Smash Champion
Let's see how many I can think of eh?

Samus - Power Suit (see Classic Samus trophy in Melee)

ZSS - Justin Bailey jumpsuit

Fox - 64 costume is quite different than his current one

I guess thats really all, classic costume wise, however, the total potential for extra costumes is through the roof. The thing is, most everyone appearing in brawl has been embelleshed to their current iteration then (lots of them) embelleshed some more. It seemed like Sakurai wanted the plumber persona gone from Wario, but there it is.
The Power Suit is essentially the Varia Suit with out the balls on the shoulders and the orangeness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Justin Bailey suit is essentially a red swimsuit. So it'd really be like chopping the legs off of the suit ZSS wears now with a recolor.

True about 64 Fox, but the whole character model is different so I dunno.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Fusion Suit Samus is an arguable Power Suit recolor with a more ergonomic look. Actually, what did the Fusion Suit look like after you got the Varia Suit?
Heck yeah its arguable. I'd argue that they're appreciably different all the way to the moon

Notice the spiked glove, completely different cannon, lack of shoulder pads, redesigned helmet, and generally less metallic look. The maddening thing is that its actually in brawl, just only as a color swap and trophy.

Edit: Cless, after the varia suit, the Fusion suit looked like a recolor of the colors the Super Metroid was just before its death.

Also, in addition to the sharp shoulder pads, the original power suit is yellow and has a different chest plate with a chevron on it.

Cless

Smash Champion
I said the Power Suit. What you posted is the Varia Suit. And I also said the Fusion Suit is more ergonomic. It's more form fitting to Samus. I said that I realize that the Fusion Suit is different, but I don't think it's appreciably different from the Power Suit.

When's this going to get closed anyway?

EPX2

Smash Ace
*sigh*

This isn't in any way comparable to the "Up until now" issue, so to all of you going, "LOL, JUST LIKE THOSE IDIOTS WHO SAID NESS WASN'T CONFIRMED AS BEING EXCLUDED"... shut the hell up and get a clue. There were at least two difference ways to interpret that statement, whereas with this Wario update, there really is no way to read it other than, "Wario is the only one with alternate costumes." "Up until now" received several different translations, whereas the message with today's update is the same in all languages. Furthermore, we've seen Sakurai since then use "Up until now" (or a variation of it) to refer to elements still present in Brawl.

Basically, today's update doesn't change the meaning of the phrase "Up until now"; it has and always will be used (on the DOJO!!) to refer to elements that were present in previous installments of the SSB series - not necessarily to mean that said elements will not be returning. Have alternate costumes been confirmed as being exclusive to Wario? Yes, despite what all the desperate fans in denial insist. Has Ness been confirmed as being out now, though? Absolutely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom