• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

want CLOUD STRIFE in brawl? official thread.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Link does use his sword as well. This isn't really a point.

But after rethinking the situation Marth does add elegance to the game. And even if I don't like him and find his attacks boring and repetitive, many people do respect the prince. Plus some of his moves are intricate like his Down B and Toward B. But I am against polluting the character selection screen with FE characters.

I say only one FE character. And I feel the same with Star Fox characters. I say only two to represent that franchise. Otherwise other franchises are not represented.
Did I hear you correctly? Did you just say "polluting?"

No. Polluting would be adding one character from a company that Nintendo does not own, and would only exist in the game as fanservice to those who don't play the game. Polluting would be adding one character who's so overrated, so undeserving, and so thouroughly one dimensional that the only people who worship him are 13 year old fangirls, and fanboys who think angst=cool.

That character is Cloud.

What we DO need, however, are characters who represent Nintendo series outside of Mario and Zelda. Games with more than one sequel that span multiple characters, timelines, and stories. Games that have had such an impact on the VG community that not only have they sparked national fame, but worldwide fame not due to one character, but because the games are consistantly fun.

That would be Fire Emblem, who's first main character is Marth. And it would be a **** shame if he were the only character to represent the series in brawl (Lyn anyone?)

So no. Marth does not pollute Super Smash brothers. Fanboys do.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
What we DO need, however, are characters who represent Nintendo series outside of Mario and Zelda. Games with more than one sequel that span multiple characters, timelines, and stories. Games that have had such an impact on the VG community that not only have they sparked national fame, but worldwide fame not due to one character, but because the games are consistantly fun.

That would be Fire Emblem, who's first main character is Marth. And it would be a **** shame if he were the only character to represent the series in brawl (Lyn anyone?)

100% agree.
No matter how much people complain about Marth being feminine/gay, he IS a good representative from one of Nintendo's major franchise.

*Virtual punch to the face*
Shut up. >_>
Stop being an ignorent spammer,because someone post his opinions doesn't mean you have the right to him/her to shut up without a logical reason why hence person should.

I have to say a Cloud versus Link battle would be insane. But Link already took Cloud's Smash Special.
I said it before,i'll say it again,Links attack isn't an Omnislash.Sure it may seem that way,but clouds attack is diffirent on many levels.It's just the blaint ignorence of people because one has fast attacks with a sword,one automaticaly assumes that it's an Omnislash.Cloud never enclosed his enemy with the Tri-Force,hovered in mid-air,and executed multiple quick slash with the power of Din's Fire,Farrow's Wind,and Nayru's Love.How is that my friend an Omnislash?

GenG

Smash Lord
Actually, Link's Supersmash is a combo made with his battle moves in Twilight Princess, just ultraquick. That's what it seems to me...

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman

While I agree whole-heartedly with you about franchises other than Mario and Zelda needing more representation, how many people outside Japan even knew the Fire Emblem franchise existed before Melee? I'd hardly say the series had THAT much of a significant impact on VG history.

Though I have no idea how Marth can be considered a waste of space nor how the FE franchise doesn't deserve atleast one more character if the amount of different storylines are anything to go by. Roy however....

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Come on let's think logically.

Just for his small appearence in KH: CoM doesn't give him enough credibility to be in SSBB. Plus it would kick in the Face to Sora....I mean the main character being snubbed by cameo appearence? That 's a little below the belt.

I don't think Cloud will make it. Sorry everone.

Sora however....that's a maybe.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Sora will.

Snake actualy made one of his first appearances on a Nintendo game. Sora is SE through and through. I get the opinon that he was only on the GBA because they needed a handheld game.

Heck, if they were really intrested they would have put Kingdom Hearts on the Cube.

The third party rule is, in my opinion, for characters like Geno or Snake.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Just for his small appearence in KH: CoM doesn't give him enough credibility to be in SSBB. Plus it would kick in the Face to Sora....I mean the main character being snubbed by cameo appearence? That 's a little below the belt.

Well Sora does has more chance than Cloud atleast.

But Square already has other characters, with more "connection" to Nintendo who could make it. I say the generic Black Mage, Moogle and Geno are the most well known Square characters to Nintendo fans.

And Bowserlick, why do you hate Marth so?
The reason why he only uses his sword is because he also does so in his game. Link has other items from his games, which does makes him a more unique character. However, Marth is a quick swordsman, who only uses swords. The fact that he already can make an unique character is already cool, since he's based from a NES game.

Yeah Cloud could perhaps use magic. But you could call Marth's neutral B magic to.
If Marth's moves had more of this purple lightning, would you call him unique then?
Link is more built for kick moves, but he only has 2 of them. Most of Link's moves are used with a sword though.

Cloud is a two handed swordsman, who I can't deny being unique or populair.
However I just don't want him there because he has fans of the wrong "target group", who all will call SSBB a Final Fantasy game because of Cloud, and would outrage if Sepiroth isn't there... And atleast, they would demand that SSBB should be on PS3 to because they didn't bought a Wii.

They also could just make Roy a two handed sworduser. Which he also was in FE6 IICR.
Really, Cloud doesn't makes any chance in Brawl. There are just too many characters who have priority over him... Even in the same company where he is from. -_-

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Cloud is too emo, Sora is too gay.
Just say no to FF series characters. We don't want some dumb debate over nintendo vs square-enix, and we definetly don't want to see thousands of threads on Cloud when he comes out (dumb threads like, I <3 Cloud and zOmg! Cloud is/isn't top tier!)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True.

And because that's one of the best comments in here, I'll +rep you for this. :)

Cloud doesn't belong in Smash Bros.
Neither does Snake but Snake has reasons, Cloud doesnt.

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sora will.

Snake actualy made one of his first appearances on a Nintendo game. Sora is SE through and through. I get the opinon that he was only on the GBA because they needed a handheld game.

Heck, if they were really intrested they would have put Kingdom Hearts on the Cube.

The third party rule is, in my opinion, for characters like Geno or Snake
Point taken. Actually I dun care much for Sora being in SSBB. I'm just saying he has more of a chance than Cloud ever will.

As for Geno, he should most definitely be in SSBB.

Cloud is too emo, Sora is too gay.
LOL, dude! :laugh:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
And Bowserlick, why do you hate Marth so?
The reason why he only uses his sword is because he also does so in his game. Link has other items from his games, which does makes him a more unique character. However, Marth is a quick swordsman, who only uses swords. The fact that he already can make an unique character is already cool, since he's based from a NES game
I hate Marth only because I view him as a very boring character. Obviously, this is just based on opinion. I don't like the fact that all his moves are sword slices. And not even interesting sword slices like Link's. Just quick slashes. But I understand the importance of Marth. And after further thought he should remain in the game (of course with a few tweaks).

Fire Emblem is based on weapon fighting and it seems like it would be out of character for a graceful sword character to also throw in a punch or kick. Plus it represents a Nintendo based strategic role-playing game so he should fight as he does.

I have to say that his down B and side B are creative.

I am against having more then two FE characters (and I would prefer just Marth to return or someone to take his place). One pure weapon user is fine, but two adds way too much repitition in my eyes.

I don't want Cloud in the game necessarily. I just think that it would be neat to see Link vs Cloud. In a way that have a rivalry against each other. Both represent sucessful franchises on separate franchises (although I know Final Fantasy is not really console exclusive).

But if a final fantasy character had to be in, I would throw in Kefka (the insane wizard of the American Final Fantasay 3). Or maybe a mog.

Just to bring this up...whn did Sakurai ever state how much credibility a character must have in order to make the roster?

He only stated that the character must have apeared on a nintendo consol before.He never stated how many games the character must have been in or how much credibility he/she must have,he only stated that the character makes an apearance on a Nintendo consol.So people,quit making all of these bias BS opinions when they aren't even facts.Every character has the same level of credibility.

He is developing the game from his point of view,not how much each company helped Nintendo's Pockets.=/

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
Inbewteen Corneria, Midgar, Mushroom kingdom, and
Cloud is too emo to be in Brawl.
Here we go again. Every RPG character is emo. Cept Link who has no emotion cept "heeeight".

Wow I'm really fighting a losing battle. Why is there no intellgent people left here that can help me get my point across. Its like 5 "Cloud 4 brawlizzle" guys and an equal 5 "Cloud is g4444y" and 1-4 intellgent Cloud outta Brawl people at any given time VS me. :chuckle:

(Edit) Oh also help from Eternal phoenix Fire. So 2. Sorry sliped my mind for a sec. didn't know if you left or not.

Where are the other guys that were helping me. :chuckle: Well whatever. I've stated all I can state for now, but the newbees to this topic don't read them so for now I succede(Spelling?) from the argument. My oponion stays the same, but till the tables are level or people decide to read I'm gonna excuse myself from argument.

Here we go again. Every RPG character is emo. Cept Link who has no emotion cept "heeeight".

Wow I'm really fighting a losing battle. Why is there no intellgent people left here that can help me get my point across. Its like 5 "Cloud 4 brawlizzle" guys and an equal 5 "Cloud is g4444y" and 1-4 intellgent Cloud outta Brawl people at any given time VS me. :chuckle:

(Edit) Oh also help from Eternal phoenix Fire. So 2. Sorry sliped my mind for a sec. didn't know if you left or not.

Where are the other guys that were helping me. :chuckle: Well whatever. I've stated all I can state for now, but the newbees to this topic don't read them so for now I succede(Spelling?) from the argument. My oponion stays the same, but till the tables are level or people decide to read I'm gonna excuse myself from argument.
Thank you.=)

For i'm also sick of all of the unintelligent reasons why Cloud should or shouldn't be in brawl.
IMO,it just seems that everyone is just attacking him personaly,or saying since he was a cameo,he doesn't have the right to be in the game.Well,look at Peach and Bowser,they never had there own game during that time,even though they played important roles in the games,i can say that much,but since they were not the main characters in the super mario bros. franchise,they can technically be listed as'Minor Characters'

And to those who say Cloud is emo...

If i recall correctly,emo is short for Emotional,and Emotional is an intense neural impulse-produced mental state that arises subjectively rather than through conscious effort and evokes either a positive or negative psychological response to move an organism to action. An emotion is differentiated from a feeling.So knowing this,are we not all emotional in our own way?Happy,Sad,Short tempered(Me),Silly,or Care Free.

We as humans posses emotions,and each emotional referance is diffirent from another.So what is Cloud is"emo",we are all emo because we all have emotions,and if you didn't know that,you must lack common sense,or your just a robot,which i doubt by many levels.

So..what do you emo sayers have to say now?

Aiser

Smash Lord
I said this, about a page back. He has Chronic Depression, thats different then emo.

Learn some common slang terms. Cloud is less emo and more angsty.

If you read what i said,i said BEFORE THAT TIME!!!! THE DS DIDN'T EVEN EXIST WHEN MELEE WAS CREATED!!!!!!!

And i'm going by existant vocabulary,slang is just generic vocabulary that was made up by a populas of rebelious people,generaly used by teens.A practicaly non existant vocabulary,and by far,isn't acknowledged positively by the gereral public nor by any of country representatives.Even though most of it's vocabulary was made up by a majority of existant general vocabulary,it's still seen as an informality towards any language.

I speek through logic and understanding,your speaking throgh bias ignorence,and your little pic is too far ahead of it's time buddy.

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Every character has the same level of credibility.
Ok, so according to your opinion I could have Master Chief, Every single Power Ranger ever, Barbie, and Yu-gi-oh characters in SSBB.

Heh. Heh. Yeah right.

It will most likely be characters that where Nintendo systems becuase of their relation to Nintendo. Cloud has next to none.

Though that doesn't mean I would not like to see him in Smash.

By the way. Peach was playable in Mario Brothers 2. Which came waaaay before Melee.

Ok, so according to your opinion I could have Master Chief, Every single Power Ranger ever, Barbie, and Yu-gi-oh characters in SSBB.
No..i'm talking about the characters that have apeared on a Nintendo consols that are video game characters.

It will most likely be characters that where Nintendo systems becuase of their relation to Nintendo. Cloud has next to none.

Though that doesn't mean I would not like to see him in Smash.

By the way. Peach was playable in Mario Brothers 2. Which came waaaay before Melee.
This is true,but you are taking the context of what i was saying and blowing it out proportion,commons sense would tell you that not every character in exisance has a chance.Please read carefully before saying something stupid.

Aiser

Smash Lord
And i'm going by existant vocabulary,slang is just generic vocabulary that was made up by a populas of rebelious people,generaly used by teens.A practicaly non existant vocabulary,and by far,isn't acknowledged positively by the gereral public nor by any of country representatives.Even though most of it's vocabulary was made up by a majority of existant general vocabulary,it's still seen as an informality towards any language.
http://webster.com/dictionary/Emo emo isn't in existant vocabulary as you can see so how can you use existant vocab with a slang term?

I speek through illogical and misunderstanding,
Fixed.

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
No..i'm talking about the characters that have apeared on a Nintendo consols that are video game characters.

This is true,but you are taking the context of what i was saying and blowing it out proportion,commons sense would tell you that not every character in exisance has a chance.Please read carefully before saying something stupid.
I wasn't "blowing it out proportion". It was what I saw. Not all minds think alike, please be more clear in the future.

(sigh)

But, All right, all right. I get the message. Though I think you need to chill, dude. I'm not out to get you.

Please tell me why you think Cloud should get into Smash and I will listen.

http://webster.com/dictionary/Emo emo isn't in existant vocabulary as you can see so how can you use existant vocab with a slang term?

Fixed.
Well,according to the slang terms,emo seems to be somewhat of a state of chronic depression,well that is how it seems to be.So one might assume that emo is linked to emotion or emotional because it describes some sort of feeling.If i'm wrong,then emo isn't even in the catagory of emotion.

And the whole Fixed thing,that just made me laugh.:laugh:

Think i'm illogical?? Look a some of the other post in this topic.
And next time you attempt to correct a sentence,use proper grammar.Because one can not speak through illogical which is on the boundaries of a descriptive term.

Also Kitsune,i wasn't trying to bash on you,i just feel alittle annoyed seeing as how the context of what i said was alittle more extreme than what it ment to be.If i did bash,i apologize.After the next post,i will try to describe why he would be a worthy candidate for brawl.=)

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Just put yourself in the Brawl development team.
What do you think the priorities for the new characters?
1. Probably Nintendo related (duh)
2. From a popular series
3. The character must have some quality in them that suits them to be in a fighter
4. Can implement an original moveset

Already under those 4, there are roughly about 3-5 characters (besides one already confirmed) that can EASILY fit into the list. Why would Nintendo go through the trouble of buying the license to get a character that is not needed? And a character that doesn't represent the company they're working for?

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Also, don't get too serious over my emo comment. It wasn't meant to spawn up an entire debate over the exact definition of what it meant to be emo/angsty/depressed. Its just how I look at Cloud.

Just put yourself in the Brawl development team.
What do you think the priorities for the new characters?
1. Probably Nintendo related (duh)
2. From a popular series
3. The character must have some quality in them that suits them to be in a fighter
4. Can implement an original moveset

Already under those 4, there are roughly about 3-5 characters (besides one already confirmed) that can EASILY fit into the list. Why would Nintendo go through the trouble of buying the license to get a character that is not needed? And a character that doesn't represent the company they're working for?
Nintendo doesn't need to buy the rights,because sakurai stated that if a character(3rd party)Want's to be in brawl,the requierments is that he must have made an appearance on a nintendo consol before,and he has,Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories.

So..yeah.Also,i wasn't bashing on your emo comment particularly,but rather all of those who say that it is the reason he shouldn't be in brawl,and not giving any educated reason why.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo doesn't need to buy the rights,because sakurai stated that if a character(3rd party)Want's to be in brawl,the requierments is that he must have made an appearance on a nintendo consol before,and he has,Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories.
Heh, didn't know that till know.
And when you say that he was in Chain of Memories, you mean Cloud or Sora? There is a possibility of Sora making it since he was the main character in the game (although I would prefer other characters instead of Sora), but Cloud is very unlikely. Sure he plays some role in the story, but its minimal. Not enough to justify his entrance.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Well,according to the slang terms,emo seems to be somewhat of a state of chronic depression,well that is how it seems to be.
Its not, emo kidsmake it up so they get attention. Chronic Depression is when you developed Truama, or had it pretty rough in life. And you go through a state of depression, but it never goes away, and you get recurring episodes of depression. Some emo kids could have chronic depression but really they just want attention because they're dumb.
CHronic depression =/= emo
emo=/=chronic depression.

So one might assume that emo is linked to emotion or emotional because it describes some sort of feeling.If i'm wrong,then emo isn't even in the catagory of emotion.
By that definition we're all emo because we feel emotions.

Emo's tend to cry during occurances, that don't even require one to cry. "Omg she left me!", "how long were you two dating", *sniff* "one day", "dude grow up."

And the whole Fixed thing,that just made me laugh.:laugh:
Good.

Think i'm illogical?? Look a some of the other post in this topic.
And next time you attempt to correct a sentence,use proper grammar.Because one can not speak through illogical which is on the boundaries of a descriptive term.
Lol this part makes me laugh, so the other posts justifies your illogic? :D

I wasn't attempting to correct your grammar, because frankly I didn't care to. I should have ended it with a period since I had a feeling you were gonna pull the grammar nazi card.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Hello I have a special treat for you today I'm not going to bash Cloud rather offer an olive branch and ask you if you want to join a Final Fantasy forum the link is in my sig please join us it is a new forum and we have few members.

LostAddict

Smash Apprentice
Please, no.

Cloud is like that song on the radio that you used to really love. It starts off on just one radio station, geared towards a certain audience, and it played occasionally. Then it spreads to tons of radio stations, some it doesn't even fit in, and is played constantly. It's like it's on 24/7. The song then begins to annoy you. Then you begin to hate it with a fiery passion.

To be put in better terms, hering almost everyone and everybody talk about Cloud, is really aggravating. He doesn't need any more hype. The world of Final Fantasy VII just needs to die peacefully...

Furthermore, he's been in Chain of Memories, with like a screen time of like 30 minutes. Doesn't scream "PUT ME IN!"

Another point, SSBB serves as advertising as well, it's why Fire Emblem was eventually moved overseas. If they put Cloud in and people feel like learning more about him aren't going to buy Chain of Memories, they're going to buy FFVII or one of it's spinoffs. Basically, by putting him in, they'd be helping competition.

And yes, I am aware this last point also somewhat applies to Snake, but at least there's several Metal Gear Solid games on Nintendo platforms, so it's not helping the competition as much. I personally feel his whole addition is kinda dumb, not to the point where I'm angry about it (like I was with Dr. Mario), but just wish they chose someone else.

Lastly, if they add him they'll then add Sephiroth in the next one, and then Tifa, and then Aeris and etc. It'll just get ridiculous and annoying.

If they feel like adding a Squeenix character, they should add an SNES/NES FF character or a character from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
^ Theres no point in adding a character from crystal chorincals =\ from what i hear noone liked that FF game =x then agine all FF characters and games sucked Cloud is probably the worst 1 character of all >=)

D

Deleted member

LostAddict, you just summed up 800+ posts, and more than 13,000 viewer opinons in 8 paragraphs.

W00t.

(Geno > Cloud)

MEK8806

Smash Rookie
I personally am a big fan of Cloud, But considering the fact that he has nothing, absolutly nothing, to do with Nintendo, the is no right to put him on Brawl. But to be frank, if they did i would be very happy.

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
Inbewteen Corneria, Midgar, Mushroom kingdom, and
Did I hear you correctly? Did you just say "polluting?"

No. Polluting would be adding one character from a company that Nintendo does not own, and would only exist in the game as fanservice to those who don't play the game. Polluting would be adding one character who's so overrated, so undeserving, and so thouroughly one dimensional that the only people who worship him are 13 year old fangirls, and fanboys who think angst=cool.

That character is Cloud.

Your yourself are makeing yourself sound like a obsessive fanboy for Marth. Its becomeing as anoying as some of these obsessive Cloud fans.
A) Please stop posting about Marth in a Cloud thred.
B) If you must shoot down the idea of Cloud please add a relvent reason(That has NOT been stated before) why.

Also your not makeing sence. "Games that have had such an impact on the VG community that not only have they sparked national fame." You belive Final fantasy seven has not done this?

IGN said:
IGN:Readers' Picks Top 100 Games
# 020 // Final Fantasy VII
Platform: PlayStation
Developer: Square
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Year Released: 1997
Why it Made the Top 100 List:
Final Fantasy VII is the first Final Fantasy game to be released for the PlayStation, and the results are amazing. Previous FF games were all hailed for their innovative gameplay, excellent plots, and revolutionary graphics, and this latest installment keeps true to those standards. The plot is engrossing and will keep you entranced until the end, to say the least. Featuring CG cinemas that will have you wondering if you're watching a movie or playing a game and in-game, pre-rendered graphics that will amaze.
Rateing: 9.5/10(incredible).
GameSpot said:
GameSpot: Review of FF7

Never before have technology, playability, and narrative combined as well as in Final Fantasy VII.
Never before have technology, playability, and narrative combined as well as in Final Fantasy VII. The culmination of Square Soft's monumental effort is a game that will enrich just as it will entertain. Yet, for all the boundless praise it so rightfully deserves, Final Fantasy VII is not without its shortcomings and occasional design problems. These are enough to make some gamers (who are unfamiliar with RPGs, to be sure) wonder just why anyone would bother playing through it in the first place.

This is the most dazzling visual experience to date on any console. Film-quality computer-generated cinematics blend seamlessly with pre-rendered background artwork to create the strikingly realistic world of Final Fantasy VII, both beautiful in its grandeur and terrifying in its detail. The overworld and battle sequences are presented in full polygonal splendor with just a touch of texture mapping for good measure. But you haven't seen anything until you witness some of the more powerful magic spells in the game. Massive dragons heed your bidding, dwarfing your gigantic enemies tenfold; an earth titan tears the ground up from beneath your enemies' feet, flinging them aside like toy blocks. Some of these summoning spells cut to over half a dozen different camera angles as the catastrophe unfolds. Meanwhile, a masterfully orchestrated soundtrack - courtesy of veteran composer Nobuo Uematsu - is a major force behind the intense emotion of Final Fantasy VII. The synthesized musical score hearkens Final Fantasy's golden age on the Super Nintendo, consciously staying true to its roots.

Yet for all its top-notch graphics and sound, truly the best aspect of Final Fantasy VII is the plot that these peerless aesthetics help weave. Join the enigmatic mercenary Cloud Strife in a journey that will take him to the very source of his being in an incredible quest where the fate of the world hangs by a precious thread, threatening at any instant to be torn by the charismatic, tormented villain of the story. Final Fantasy VII's moving plot is influenced by some of the greatest works of science fiction film and literature, including Frank Herbert's Dune, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and even Godzilla. If you were to strip away the story, scenery, and musical score, Final Fantasy VII would otherwise be very much like any other Japanese RPG you've ever played. You still must face countless random monster encounters while keeping a close eye on your hit points and magic points, and you will witness your characters grow stronger with every experience level they attain. Battles are fought in typical Japanese RPG fashion (albeit with fully polygonal graphics), with your team on one side and any number of opponents on the other. You exchange blows until you or the enemy is defeated. Fights are made interesting with the introduction of Limit Breaks (devastating desperation attacks) and Materia, the curious colored crystals that let your party use magic and other special abilities. Materia can be found or purchased and mixed and matched to create all sorts of interesting effects. Best of all, there are more than enough hidden Materia, weapons, and optional plot sequences in the game to merit playing it through at least twice.

Some have gone as far as to call Final Fantasy VII the hands-down best game ever made. And if you enjoy a good Japanese-style RPG, chances are you will agree. However, Final Fantasy VII, for all its astonishing features, is not a game with the sort of mass appeal that its massive marketing blitz may lead you to believe. For one thing, you can't finish it in a sitting, as Final Fantasy VII will be a solid 40 to 50-hour commitment for the average role-playing gamer. Otherwise, you might be taken aback by the extensive, text-heavy dialogue; there is no speech at all in Final Fantasy VII, in the interest of letting your imagination do a little work. Though you will make many small-scale decisions over the course of the game, on the whole, the story follows a very linear path. This linearity is a by-product of the plot's complexity, however - certainly a respectable sacrifice.

Sony's translation of the original Japanese dialogue is direct and first-rate, much to the relief of Final Fantasy purists everywhere. Nitpickers may identify a very occasional spelling or grammar error ("Off course!" agrees Cloud at the Golden Saucer battle arena), but otherwise this text-heavy game reads just right, flawlessly conveying each character's distinct personality. Even the foul-mouthed costars of the game retain their affronting attitudes, as Sony went as far as to translate certain four-letter words in the interest of staying true to the Japanese script. Final Fantasy VII boasts several features not found in the original Japanese release in February 1997. Some changes are designed to improve gameplay: For instance, now your party members can quickly and easily exchange their Materia, where swapping the invaluable crystals between characters was a real pain in the Japanese version. Also, at the touch of a button, all exit points on a particular screen become highlighted with conspicuous red arrows - these turn out to be a real boon in those areas where the exits aren't immediately obvious. Further, random monster encounters are thankfully much less frequent in many areas of the game, particularly on the overworld map. At the same time, Final Fantasy VII is considerably more challenging than its original release. You actually must plan ahead and devise some sort of strategy to beat some of the boss monsters that were likely pushovers before. Other changes include the addition of spectacular all-new cinematics and a handful of intriguing, new plot sequences at key points toward the end of the game. These moments help clarify several important issues in the story. Square Soft wasn't just resting on its laurels these past six months.

The question you must ask yourself is, are you prepared to dedicate a good portion of the next month to take part in a powerful story unlike anything you have ever witnessed before? If your answer is yes, and you can approach Final Fantasy VII content knowing that it bears its genre's inherently problematic traits, you will find it be among the most incredible games you have ever played - or ever will.

Overall score:9.5/10
You say this game isent revolutionary? My friend you are in denial.

Please, no.
Lastly, if they add him they'll then add Sephiroth in the next one, and then Tifa, and then Aeris and etc. It'll just get ridiculous and annoying.
Nice post but this part of your post is, no-offence, really stupid. Sakuri said himself no characters who aren't in a nintendo game. So eaither way they wouldent be in.

Top Bottom