• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanna Combo a Floaty into a kill?

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
amazing vid! It's so nice to have a combo starter with some real priority.. maybe this will convince me to stop throwing out so many fairs in the neutral game.. or not ha. I'm gonna practice up with this. Inspirational advice as always :)

edit: Eggz also told me that catching floaties in the air with dair can lead right into nair for a kill combo.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Yea I've noticed this working quite well against peaches and sometimes Samus. I did not know it could be used consistently. (love the hyper editing :awesome:)

I also have found that FH Dair followed up with a Nair can KO (sometimes you have to dbl jump then Nair depending on if they SDI or you catch them at a weird angle). Has to be rather fast since Dair hits don't have too much hitstun and the opponent can respond with a fast aerial like Luigi's nair if you aren't quick.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
So the idea is to hit them with the ground hitbox? And to do that you must not hit them with too many air hitboxes (more than 2 sometimes less). if you hit them too much with air hitboxes and you miss the ground hitbox, you better not miss your l-cancel and the only guaranteed followup is a jab.

Now it's not like anyone is actively trying to evolve the anti-mario meta but if your opponent knows how this works they could see how to avoid it. If they SDI up even just one air hitbox, then the ground hitbox will wiff. But luckily you don't have to hit them with an air hitbox at all. The first air hitbox comes out on frame 10, the ground hitbox triggers if you land during frames 6-32.

What's good and somewhat bad about super late ground hitbox only dair is you have to l-cancel before it hits, so if you can do them consistently, l-cancelling them should never be a problem. But if you are in the habit of sometimes hitting with air hitboxes, it'll make it kinda awkward.

Last edited:

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
So the idea is to hit them with the ground hitbox? And to do that you must not hit them with too many air hitboxes (more than 2 sometimes less). if you hit them too much with air hitboxes and you miss the ground hitbox, you better not miss your l-cancel and the only guaranteed followup is a jab.
Wait so is it like a spacing thing? If you're too close do you hit them with too many air hitboxes? I was originally thinking it was just timing before you hit the ground

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice

Now it's not like anyone is actively trying to evolve the anti-mario meta but if your opponent knows how this works they could see how to avoid it. If they SDI up even just one air hitbox, then the ground hitbox will wiff. But luckily you don't have to hit them with an air hitbox at all. The first air hitbox comes out on frame 10, the ground hitbox triggers if you land during frames 6-32.

What's good and somewhat bad about super late ground hitbox only dair is you have to l-cancel before it hits, so if you can do them consistently, l-cancelling them should never be a problem. But if you are in the habit of sometimes hitting with air hitboxes, it'll make it kinda awkward.
They can also just DI out of most combos correct? Just messing around against a 20xx puff there were clearly some hits that were possible to combo into fsmash but others hit her too far out of range. I think dair-> jc upsmash can cover more DI trajectories though. I would be interested in knowing what their options for DIing out of follows up are..

a rookie

Smash Ace
They can also just DI out of most combos correct? Just messing around against a 20xx puff there were clearly some hits that were possible to combo into fsmash but others hit her too far out of range. I think dair-> jc upsmash can cover more DI trajectories though. I would be interested in knowing what their options for DIing out of follows up are..
Yeah, upsmash would be the safest option too since if you whiff it, it's a little safer than fsmash. But I've been getting a lot of these combos lately. Btw, it's an ok shield poke if they have medium shield. And can edge guard Spacies/Falcon. I'll post a little video about that later.

Top Bottom