• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall-Jumping Tricks On FD (and potentially other stages)

Vlade

Social Outcast
Ok I was messing around with walljumping under the lip underneath FD. To be honest, I think this part of the stage has been overlooked as a hinderance to falco's recovery, but I found that it can be very useful as well.

I know in 'How to Protect Your Bread' by slashtalon shows falco's edge-game, and one of his edge-game options is walljumping. However, he didn't extend and provide detail on that, so I've got a couple of nifty tricks to add to falco's edgegame on FD and other stages in which you can walljump in a similar manner (Yoshi's Island comes to mind).

All of these tips are useful for when the opponent is standing very close to the edge, trying to edgeguard or pressure you while you're hanging on the edge.

Walljump > Uair:

This is my favourite. The uair goes through the edge and hits the opponent if they're standing in the right spot. Just remember to recover! I would recommend doing this at higher percents so they can't edgehog (so long as they don't shield)

Walljump > Nair:

If you do it right, you can carry the opponent off the stage with you (although this was against a standing CPU, they may be able to DI back onto the stage or edge). You must catch them in the first hit of the nair, then DI away from the edge for the following hits. As always, recovery is priority! Good for taking characters with terrible recoveries off the stage (by terrible I mean that they will take longer to reach the edge than falco would with his firebird), and it sets up for edge-guarding with bair off the stage.

Walljump > Bair:

This is quite good. Like uair, only use this at higher percents. However, this is probably safer because if they opponent avoids the attack and edgehog, your back will be facing the stage. Remember the thread that discussed the firebird landing more often when your back is facing the stage? Well that applies right here. When you walljump, if you don't DI after the walljump you end up grabbing the ledge. To pull off the bair, DI away from the edge and use the c-stick to execute the attack.

Now of course all of these 'techniques' should only be used as a surprising mix-up to falco's normal edge-game of phantasm, shine and double lasers etc. It can be punished severely if you mess-up or the opponent reacts very well (also depends on character your opponent is using). These tricks are qutie risky so don't use them if you don't think it can be pulled off. To be honest, I'm yet to use it in an actual match, but it's just something to think about adding to your play.

Discuss.

EDIT: I just realised that there is a similar thread to this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4463890#post4463890

However this is mainly for defending against on-stage edgeguarders.

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
I myself do use wall jump Bair and Uair sometimes (works great on Battlefield) and it's a good surprise attack. Dair can be a little more risky though. It's possible to get shieldgrabbed if missed (DIing back with this is a lil harder than B/Uair). About Nair, I don't realy know. I think letting the edge go and jump+Nair is better than a walljump.

Vlade

Social Outcast
You're probably right. I deleted the dair section because it is sorta part of Blad01's thread on 'Walljump Ledgeguarding.'

But yes Battlefield is a stage in which falco can walljump on, so these 'techniques' can be exploited on that stage as well, particularly the bair.

And you're right about nair, although walljumping will surprise the opponent. ;) Although if you walljump it then you can carry them off the stage when done correctly.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Wall jump bair is a given. lol Nice info though. ;)

ps What about the god spam move????? LASERS!!!!! lol

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
You'd have to make sure the lasers hit/stop your opponent from reaching you. I wouldnt use it because the end of the laser shooting might put me under the ledge, so Id use FF, but they might have time to grab the ledge. ;-;

Vlade

Social Outcast
Wall jump bair is a given. lol Nice info though. ;)

ps What about the god spam move????? LASERS!!!!! lol
However I am just reiterating, since I never see it used in actual matches. Although I think walljump > uair is a nice 'trick' because it hits through the edge.

Why would you fire lasers if your opponent is standing right at the edge?

Denzi

Smash Master
This sounds interesting. I've actually recently been trying to implement this into my game more, as of now I only walljump on Yoshi's Island (or by accident). You might want to try adding other stages to this thread.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was messing around with this with the shine after a walljump to look for anything nice. (Note walljump to shine IS GREAT to block horizontal recoveries which are aimed for the edge (so even on another falco)

BUTBUTBUT

You need to firebird recover = bad.

AND Accidently fastfalling walljump shine = death.

Thus highly risky for low/med reward

D:

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
This sounds interesting. I've actually recently been trying to implement this into my game more, as of now I only walljump on Yoshi's Island (or by accident). You might want to try adding other stages to this thread.
Note that you can also walljump on the actual uppermost lip of FD. It's hard getting the hang of it, but it's relatively simple to execute out of a ledgedrop. I've done some really sweet looking edgeguards from this (most of them only worked because it was really unpredictable).
As far as other stages, battle field has a great side to walljump off of to dair, bair, nair, whatever. FO has ledges on both sides you can walljump off as well.

Denzi

Smash Master
Note that you can also walljump on the actual uppermost lip of FD. It's hard getting the hang of it, but it's relatively simple to execute out of a ledgedrop. I've done some really sweet looking edgeguards from this (most of them only worked because it was really unpredictable).
That's what I meant when I said "by accident". And the things it led to were generally pretty sweet.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
However I am just reiterating, since I never see it used in actual matches. Although I think walljump > uair is a nice 'trick' because it hits through the edge.

Why would you fire lasers if your opponent is standing right at the edge?
You wouldn't...... I guess kind of like a mix up for planking. lol

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yes like Fluke said, the risk isn't worth the reward, although it has the 'surprise factor' to throw your opponents off. This definitely should not be used regularly in a match.

Top Bottom