• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall Cling physics...?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm posting this here because these boards have a wall cling to work with, and the only information I have to work with is this vague thread--

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142700

I have a few questions that I'd like answered...

How long can you stay wall clinging before you start falling? How much does the time change for each subsequent wall cling?

It seems that you can't wall cling on certain parts of most walls, so...What spots on the walls on each competitive stage allow for a wall cling?

Why does my mid-air jump return sometimes when I wall cling on Shadow Moses? Could this be abused on other stages?

It appears that you can't normally wall cling -> wall cling jump -> wall cling, but you can wall cling again after you use an aerial. Is it only after certain animations that allow you to wall cling again?

It seems like it would be a viable tactic on certain stages, like Yoshi's Island, Pictochat, and Castle Siege. I'd like for the data to be gathered so we can make potential strategies out of it.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
replied in tactical thread,

bumping to see if any of our Frame Advance monsters can figure any of this out, because I sure as hell can't D:

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
1. Iirc around 3.3-3.4 seconds to cling. Someone did the data awhile ago, but I can't remember it exactly. (I believe his final average was 3.34 though.) Not sure about the timer for the next cling, but it's generally negligible because the wall cling and wall jump have separate timers that you can abuse at the same time, and there isn't any legal stage tall enough for you to need to use both. It's probably also around 3.3-3.4 seconds.

2. In general, you can cling to almost any wall in the game. There are only 2 real restrictions, which are the angle of the wall, and a very rare modifier that literally says "no wall jumping/clinging." This modifier is very rare above camera-level (but still famous for being on Smashville) , but is seen on stages like Yoshi's Island and Warioware to stop people from clinging below the camera. In general, any wall you can wall jump from, you can generally cling to. There are, however, some tricky ones you may not notice, like Frigate's or FD's ledge that let you cling directly to the ledge... We had a list somewhere, but it's generally obvious and well-known by Lucario mains where you should be able to cling. The only tricky one is Yoshi's Island, for which I made a thread here. (Check the second page too for tips and a graphic for clinging to FD's ledge)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262231

3. Hold back while clinging and press the jump button to do another double jump instead of a wall cling jump. This works for all clinging characters, including Squirtle.

4. No, you can wall cling > wall cling jump > wall cling, just fine. It's just a timer. Iirc though, the wall cling jump itself counts as the wall jump, so what you should do instead to climb walls is alternate the backwards double jump and wall jump, as shown here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2edDWMpQhug&feature=related

5. It's viable for recovery purposes only, but it does have its weaknesses (IE footstooling), so should generally only be used as a mix-up.

iRJi

Smash Champion
1. Iirc around 3.3-3.4 seconds to cling. Someone did the data awhile ago, but I can't remember it exactly. (I believe his final average was 3.34 though.) Not sure about the timer for the next cling, but it's generally negligible because the wall cling and wall jump have separate timers that you can abuse at the same time, and there isn't any legal stage tall enough for you to need to use both. It's probably also around 3.3-3.4 seconds.

2. In general, you can cling to almost any wall in the game. There are only 2 real restrictions, which are the angle of the wall, and a very rare modifier that literally says "no wall jumping/clinging." This modifier is very rare above camera-level (but still famous for being on Smashville) , but is seen on stages like Yoshi's Island and Warioware to stop people from clinging below the camera. In general, any wall you can wall jump from, you can generally cling to. There are, however, some tricky ones you may not notice, like Frigate's or FD's ledge that let you cling directly to the ledge... We had a list somewhere, but it's generally obvious and well-known by Lucario mains where you should be able to cling. The only tricky one is Yoshi's Island, for which I made a thread here. (Check the second page too for tips and a graphic for clinging to FD's ledge)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262231

3. Hold back while clinging and press the jump button to do another double jump instead of a wall cling jump. This works for all clinging characters, including Squirtle.

4. No, you can wall cling > wall cling jump > wall cling, just fine. It's just a timer. Iirc though, the wall cling jump itself counts as the wall jump, so what you should do instead to climb walls is alternate the backwards double jump and wall jump, as shown here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2edDWMpQhug&feature=related

5. It's viable for recovery purposes only, but it does have its weaknesses (IE footstooling), so should generally only be used as a mix-up.

All that in a nutshell, reflex.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Kita pretty much nailed it, although the only way you're gonna really confirm that is if you dig through some REALLY old threads.

Wall cling jumps vary character to character. Lucario's really big jump comes from "repelling" the wall via moving the analog in the opposite direction whereas Sheik's only goes high vertically by holding up iirc.

Top Bottom