• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vs. Wolf

danyo

Smash Rookie
Hi all. I've watched a lot of your vids and learned a lot from them... but I'm really just an average Brawl player who likes using Ike. Don't even have a Wii myself, just happen to sometimes when I'm hanging out at my friend's house.

I'd say we're somewhat close to being evenly matched, he's better due to experience. We're both far from being tourney-level players.

My problem with his Wolf is that he spams the blaster from a distance. When I get close, he uses fsmash or if I'm REALLY close he uses that quick dsmash. He tends to wait underneath me when I'm in the air, dodge my fair or nair then use one of his smashes.... then repeat.

I need to practice jab canceling, short hops and use RAR more. Most of my KOs on his Wolf are from aerials that land in the air, or a well-spaced ftilt/well-timed utilt. Occasionally I'll get a dair spike or a sliding usmash off if I happen to hold it and he happens to air dodge right before he lands (which is often). I haven't tried pivot grabs yet, his dsmash wards most any grab attempts.

only custom setting is tilt-stick, everything else is default. What's this tap jump off I hear of? and do you guys C-stick your aerials?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hi all. I've watched a lot of your vids and learned a lot from them... but I'm really just an average Brawl player who likes using Ike. Don't even have a Wii myself, just happen to sometimes when I'm hanging out at my friend's house.
Cool, glad you decided to post but next time feel free to use the General Discussion thread. :)

I'd say we're somewhat close to being evenly matched, he's better due to experience. We're both far from being tourney-level players.

My problem with his Wolf is that he spams the blaster from a distance. When I get close, he uses fsmash or if I'm REALLY close he uses that quick dsmash. He tends to wait underneath me when I'm in the air, dodge my fair or nair then use one of his smashes.... then repeat.

I need to practice jab canceling, short hops and use RAR more. Most of my KOs on his Wolf are from aerials that land in the air, or a well-spaced ftilt/well-timed utilt. Occasionally I'll get a dair spike or a sliding usmash off if I happen to hold it and he happens to air dodge right before he lands (which is often). I haven't tried pivot grabs yet, his dsmash wards most any grab attempts.
Tech skill is all well and good, but there are a few key things I'm already noticing about your play style and description of the match-up. If he spams things like lasers, Fsmash and Dsmash, air-dodges a lot when he returns to the stage, waits for you to use an aerial on his shield/spot-dodge... well if you know that he does all of that, read him and predict when he'll do it during the game.

You have to make sure to use simple punishes though when you're starting out reading someone, if you know he's going to shoot some lasers until you're a certain distance away and then Fsmash you, approach by power-shielding the lasers or short hop air-dodging and then shield the Fsmash and punish with Jabs.

Don't fall for his baits either, if he's just standing there and you're in the air, mix it up. Don't come down with an aerial every time, come down with an air-dodge and Jab as soon as you hit the ground or grab him if he's shielding. Do a double jump when you're just above his head to see what he does, often people won't expect that and they'll give away what they were going for (a grab, a smash attack, etc...).

only custom setting is tilt-stick, everything else is default. What's this tap jump off I hear of? and do you guys C-stick your aerials?
My only custom settings are Tilt stick and Y shield (for power-shielding since the L and R buttons have springs). Some Ikes use L jump but it's not necessary. Tap jump off is, in my opinion, a bad idea for Ike. Short hop auto-canceled Bair is super easy to use and space with tap jump (just flick the control stick up and c-stick back at the same time), and it's a bread-and-butter spacing, low % stringing and even KOing maneuver.

I now C-stick all of my aerials. I never used to use it at all but I've slowly transitioned and now thumb is usually nowhere near the A button when I'm in the air. Using C-stick for aerials just make way more sense because you can maneuver Ike however you want with the control stick while inputting the aerial in whatever direction you want (retreat away from your opponent while using a Fair towards them for example).

Plus if you have Tilt stick that means you can C-stick your Nairs. Just tap the C-stick in a diagonal direction in the air to input a Nair. Stick to one diagonal and practice it A LOT (I use diagonal down left, but whatever works best for you) until you can short-hop and then Nair + fast fall and retreat simultaneously on a consistent basis.

:248:

Top Bottom