• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs. Toon Link

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I'm having problems facing good TLs. I thought if I handled a TL like I do falco's I wouldn't have much problems... Turns out I was wrong. I try to be very offensive (so he doesn't have a chance to use his projectiles) but I usually find myself at the end of a bair combo. Any advice?

peachfvl

Smash Apprentice
that bair combo is hell
auto canceling aerials helps a lot and if both are on the air your mission is to get back to the stage
what i do is float at head level an dair ->land->slaps

to approach if he´s throwing arrows & boomerangs : pull a turnip->SHAirDodge->glide toss(turnip cancels the coming arrow& boomerang)->sh fair/sh nair/grab/dash attack/sh dair and slap

hope it helps u

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You have to be really careful with him. mix up both offense and defense.

Dont stay in the air too much. He can bring you down easy.Use glide tosses alot to get close. If you hit his projectiles while glide tossing, you at least have that out of the way and can dish out a grab/attack.

You have too take this fight very slow. If you lose your cool your done. Once you get hit with a Back air, DI away. Dont move into him trying to get a hit off him, cause it wont work. But if he hits you with it at a certain angle, you can N-air out of it before he gets the second in.

Turips are a must here. use them alot to get close. Use them alot to retreat. Pretty much abuse turnips when you can. But dont pick them up at the wrong time. Glide toss alot. And while retreating. Do reverse glide tosses. That helps alot.

Space like your life depends on it. Well spaced Fairs to jabs help. And get your grabs in there, Lots of grabs. Rack up damage off of them. Dont just throw him away so fast. Remember People in the game dont die off your throws. So why not built up a few more % on him then toss his azz.

Attack out of your shield alot to Nairs, Nair and Back airs. This helps with TL Up tilting you and jabbing you. As well as Nairing you.

limit your rolling as much as you can. Learn to fight on the ground alot as much as the air. Mix it up as much as possible if you feel in danger with the ground or air.

TL dies quit going up. So if you can set up kills like that go for it. Best way to kill him..

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
My brother mains toon link so I have quite a bit of practice fighting him. Dark Peach's suggestions are good. A few thoughts of my own.. He obviously loves to just sit there and throw things at you and do nothing else, classic camper. One strategy I see a lot is to hold a bomb and then throw boomerang/arrows and throw the bomb if you make it through. So coming straight at him or down on him are both had ideas. My strategy is to go in at an angle and maybe dair him or fair him while holding a turn up as that can add to the mindgames. Once you are in you have to do damage because he is faster than you and will probably retreat to camping. If he is dump enough to charge you its not to bad and in fact this is what I prefer as his projectiles are very annoying. Also good toon links will use bair as much as they can, and go for 2-3 hits if possible. If you get hit just back away because you can't do anything until you reset position. Hope that helps.

orochimaru2072

Smash Cadet
how do you stop that down aerial. my friend spams that, all the time. it eats away at my shield all the time. it gets annoying. i know thats a basic for toon links.

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
how do you stop that down aerial. my friend spams that, all the time. it eats away at my shield all the time. it gets annoying. i know thats a basic for toon links.
Just get out of the way and punish them when they are trying to pull their sword out. Sometimes it "blows you away" but either way you don't take damage.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Thanks for the tips guys :D. I'll try some of what you said D.Pch the next time I face a good TL.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
cancel his boomerang with your aerials. it WILL cancel. I suggest neutral air considering it has the lowest cool down time so you can approach with it and still hit him after you cancel his boomerang. Trust me, he won't see it coming and it's gonna mess him up.

You MIGHT be able to cancel it with down air but you'd have to be above it considerably. That'd be ideal, but its hard to do.

peachfvl

Smash Apprentice
when TL is coming with a d-air never shield you should just walk a bit and you wont get hit. i you expect the d-air your u-tilt should win without problems

Top Bottom