• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VOTE AGUMON - Pikachu's Greatest Rival!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sign me up, would love me some Digimon representation and that Agumon goodness. One thing for sure is that his Digivolution Final Smash should of be any of the Greymon forms (Especially MetalGreymon).

The day it happens is when my inner childhood would die and come back to life. That's just how great it would be to have him in Smash.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Fine, it is Ruki my all time favorite Digimon character lol but as she is a cartoon character she has no chance. What about Agumon based on the 5th Digimon series, that guy was huge lol.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Fine, it is Ruki my all time favorite Digimon character lol but as she is a cartoon character she has no chance. What about Agumon based on the 5th Digimon series, that guy was huge lol.
Nah , maybe just a color! But Classic Agumon is the real deal!

Graizen

Smash Champion
Sign me up, would love me some Digimon representation and that Agumon goodness. One thing for sure is that his Digivolution Final Smash should of be any of the Greymon forms (Especially MetalGreymon).

The day it happens is when my inner childhood would die and come back to life. That's just how great it would be to have him in Smash.
Done! Thank you and welcome =)

What I miss of that series, was the main human character went along punching Digimons lol.
Masaru is badass! Haha

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I didn't think about MetalGryemon being the Final Smash. I'd like that even better than WarGreymon. The Ultimate version is just so much cooler looking.

Oh yeeeeaaaah....

Step aside, Giga Bowser and Dark Beast Ganon.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Personally, I always found Metal Greymon sadly forgettable, despite his awesome design. War Greymon is where it's at IMO.
I wouldn't mind Rize or VictoryGreymon but season 1 forms would be best because those are the ones that people know and the ones that go with pre-anime Agumon.

On a side note, if both Agumon and Gabumon got in somehow, how would you feel about a secret button combination to become Omnimon, with one player controlling his ice attacks and one his fire, such that you'd have to work together to move him around properly or to get any of his super moves.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On a side note, if both Agumon and Gabumon got in somehow, how would you feel about a secret button combination to become Omnimon, with one player controlling his ice attacks and one his fire, such that you'd have to work together to move him around properly or to get any of his super moves.
dont think that really fits smash

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Personally, I always found Metal Greymon sadly forgettable, despite his awesome design. War Greymon is where it's at IMO.
I wouldn't mind Rize or VictoryGreymon but season 1 forms would be best because those are the ones that people know and the ones that go with pre-anime Agumon.

The only way I could see Omnimon working is if WarGreymon IS the playable character, just on his own, and his FS would be to summon MetalGarurumon and fuse with him to become Omnimon, either for a single attack or for a short time transformation.

I agree that WarGreymon would be the obvious choice for an Agumon FS, but I still prefer the designs of Greymon and MetalGreymon

Graizen

Smash Champion

Agumon gameplay from Digimon Rumble Arena 2!
A good exemple of what Agumon could look in Smash!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Here's the start of my long overdue moveset for Agumon, treating him as a movement based little heavy:
Up Special - Wildfire Uppercut: Agumon performs a jumping attack in which he sweeps a flaming hand up and over his head, slashing anyone in his way. Superficially, this moves resembles Mario and Ryu's recoveries but will hit for more damage less frequently, potentially hitting up to 4 times for ~12%, though in reality unlikely to connect more than 2 or 3 times. His jump height is a tiny bit below Mario's and, due to the different hand motion, his hitbox placement will change over the course of the attack, even hitting a little behind him by the move's end.
Along with the hitbox placement, the angle of knockback will also change, making it hard to get the one you want but, should you do so, Agumon will be able to kill off the top of Battlefield at around 110%. Do note that this knockback will only occur on the last hit that connects.
The flames are pretty superficial.
Neutral Special - Pepper Breath: Something of a cross between Mario and Luigi's fireballs, this move will travel twice as far as Mario's before hitting the ground if Agumon is standing and even further if he is airborne. It has no maximum range but will not bounce, instead disappearing in a puff of hissing smoke on contact with any object or after leaving the stage borders. Does around 7% damage and minimal knockback (not enough to launch).
Forward Special - Battle Hawk: Agumon pulls an axe, roughly his own size, out of nowhere, swinging it up and over from behind his back, all the while experiencing super amour. Contact with the swing will do a mere 3% but it will drag enemies forward and potentially into the main impact, which does a far more impressive 16% with 10 degree forward but mostly downward knockback. This is a slow move, since the comparibly mighty weight of the axe is hard for Agumon to lift, and it takes him a similarly long time to remove it frome the ground again. Because of this, the move's ending is quite vulnerable but the range of his axe makes him hard to hit during and even harder to then escape from unscathed. In terms of usability, this move is somewhat comparable to Kirby's risky but high reward hammer. The knockback of this move will kill at a little over 120% if rebounding from the stage.
And, speaking of similarities with Kirby's hammer, the aerial version is very close to what he had in Melee. Agumon will spin 360 degrees forwards twice before putting his axe away, the momentum carrying both him and his opponents roughly 2 stagebuilder blocks in that direction. Anyone hit will take up to 5 lots of 3% damage, making it only as powerful as the afforementioned underused hammer but between its horizontal movement properties and the super armour of the move leaving Agumon vulnerable only briefly at the start and end, this attack should be far more useful.
The third and most interesting part of this attack, however, is that, since Agumon will still fall slightly during the aerial version of Battle Hawk, he can use it close to the ground and touch down during the move. In this situation, it will transition from the spinning aerial into the second half of the grounded version, making for quicker start up and more range but still giving Agumon some pretty harsh ending lag.
Down Special - Spitfire Blast: Agumon pauses slightly before unleashing a flame much like Bowser or Charizards, the main difference being that his small posture changes it to a more upwards angle and makes him harder to hit around the move. Hopefully this makes up for the pause.
Triple A Combo - Dino Bite: A medium speed pair of what Agumon calls punches but are more like straight handed jabs that poke with his claws. Each one will hit for around 2% if the claw connects and 4% if the hand does, pushing foes back a little as they do so to enable the user to move forward into an open-mouthed bite/headbutt combo that strikes for another 9% and medium 45 degree upward knockback.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Here's the start of my long overdue moveset for Agumon, treating him as a movement based little heavy:
Up Special - Claw Uppercut: Agumon performs a jumping attack in which he sweeps his hands up and over his head, slashing anyone in his way. Superficially, this moves resembles Mario's recovery but will hit for more damage less frequently, potentially hitting up to 4 times for ~12%, though in reality unlikely to connect more than 2 or 3 times. His jump height is a tiny bit below Mario's too and, due to the different hand motion, his hitbox placement will change over the course of the attack, even hitting a little behind him by the move's end.
Along with the hitbox placement, the angle of knockback will also change, making it hard to get the one you want but, should you do so, Agumon will be able to kill off the top of Battlefield at around 110%. Do note that this knockback will only occur on the last hit that connects.
Neutral Special - Pepper Breath: Something of a cross between Mario and Luigi's fireballs, this move will travel twice as far as Mario's before hitting the ground if Agumon is standing and even further if he is airborne. It has no maximum range but will not bounce, instead disappearing in a puff of hissing smoke on contact with any object or after leaving the stage borders. Does around 7% damage and minimal knockback (not enough to launch).
Forward Special - Battle Hawk: Agumon pulls an axe, roughly his own size, out of nowhere, swinging it up and over from behind his back, all the while experiencing super amour. Contact with the swing will do a mere 3% but it will drag enemies forward and potentially into the main impact, which does a far more impressive 16% with 10 degree forward but mostly downward knockback. This is a slow move, since the comparibly mighty weight of the axe is hard for Agumon to lift, and it takes him a similarly long time to remove it frome the ground again. Because of this, the move's ending is quite vulnerable but the range of his axe makes him hard to hit during and even harder to then escape from unscathed. In terms of usability, this move is somewhat comparable to Kirby's risky but high reward hammer. The knockback of this move will kill at a little over 120% if rebounding from the stage.
And, speaking of similarities with Kirby's hammer, the aerial version is very close to what he had in Melee. Agumon will spin 360 degrees forwards twice before putting his axe away, the momentum carrying both him and his opponents roughly 2 stagebuilder blocks in that direction. Anyone hit will take up to 5 lots of 3% damage, making it only as powerful as the afforementioned underused hammer but between its horizontal movement properties and the super armour of the move leaving Agumon vulnerable only briefly at the start and end, this attack should be far more useful.
The third and most interesting part of this attack, however, is that, since Agumon will still fall slightly during the aerial version of Battle Hawk, he can use it close to the ground and touch down during the move. In this situation, it will transition from the spinning aerial into the second half of the grounded version, making for quicker start up and more range but still giving Agumon some pretty harsh ending lag.
Down Special - Spitfire Blast: Agumon pauses slightly before unleashing a flame much like Bowser or Charizards, the main difference being that his small posture changes it to a more upwards angle and makes him harder to hit around the move. Hopefully this makes up for the pause.
Triple A Combo - Dino Bite: A medium speed pair of what Agumon calls punches but are more like straight handed jabs that poke with his claws. Each one will hit for around 2% if the claw connects and 4% if the hand does, pushing foes back a little as they do so to enable the user to move forward into an open-mouthed bite/headbutt combo that strikes for another 9% and medium 45 degree upward knockback.

WOW! You are a genius! Congratulations *o*

Here a New art for you :

Morbi

Scavenger
Agumon would be a great addition to Smash. I am not quite sure if he is actually Pikachu's greatest rival, honestly, he is probably better suited to take on Charizard (if you ask me). Lizard Monster y Lizard Monster. Albeit, it is not as though Meowth is ever going to have a chance at Pikachu's crown. At first, I did not really believe that he was entirely viable; however, with some time, he has grown on me. I have speculated that Bandai Namco is going to get a second representative after Ryu was announced. I figured Yoshimitsu was logical given his connections to both Tekken and Soul Calibur. But then I remembered, nobody actually wants him! Agumon is sort of niche because most people are not cognizant that acquiring the rights to use him would be relatively easy. I think I can speak for most children of my era when I assert that we need to see Digimon v Pokemon happen at some point or another. Who knows, the ballot is a great place for Agumon to truly shine. But, there is an even better place. On the roster of the next game! If rumors are true and Bandai Namco develops the next Smash, Agumon would be a fairly justifiable addition if I do say so myself.

For me, this is a great time to begin supporting one of my old time favorites. If you are still updating the original post, please add my name to the list.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Agumon would be a great addition to Smash. I am not quite sure if he is actually Pikachu's greatest rival, honestly, he is probably better suited to take on Charizard (if you ask me). Lizard Monster y Lizard Monster. Albeit, it is not as though Meowth is ever going to have a chance at Pikachu's crown. At first, I did not really believe that he was entirely viable; however, with some time, he has grown on me. I have speculated that Bandai Namco is going to get a second representative after Ryu was announced. I figured Yoshimitsu was logical given his connections to both Tekken and Soul Calibur. But then I remembered, nobody actually wants him! Agumon is sort of niche because most people are not cognizant that acquiring the rights to use him would be relatively easy. I think I can speak for most children of my era when I assert that we need to see Digimon v Pokemon happen at some point or another. Who knows, the ballot is a great place for Agumon to truly shine. But, there is an even better place. On the roster of the next game! If rumors are true and Bandai Namco develops the next Smash, Agumon would be a fairly justifiable addition if I do say so myself.

For me, this is a great time to begin supporting one of my old time favorites. If you are still updating the original post, please add my name to the list.
Done! Thank you and welcome ^-^

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I put your Agumon art in my signature, I really like the background icon.
As it captures the original essence of handheld pets perfectly, which is in it's own, is a significant contribution to gaming.

If there is a second Namco rep, even though I prefer Klonoa I wouldn't mind losing the potential roster spot to Agumon.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I put your Agumon art in my signature, I really like the background icon.
As it captures the original essence of handheld pets perfectly, which is in it's own, is a significant contribution to gaming.

If there is a second Namco rep, even though I prefer Klonoa I wouldn't mind losing the potential roster spot to Agumon.
Eren thank you for that! I LOVE Klonoa as well , and If there is a second Namco rep, even though I prefer Agumon I wouldn't mind losing the potential roster spot to Klonoa. ^-^

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
(Walks in nervously)

Uh, I have absolutely no knowledge or expertise in Digimon, but by the looks of it, Agumon does seem to be the most iconic thing in Digimon. I don't expect him to get in over Klonoa, but who knows? We might get lucky.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

There is so much good Pikachu and Agumon fanart out there and this is no exception. This is literally the cutest thing I've ever seen.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Uh, I have absolutely no knowledge or expertise in Digimon, but by the looks of it, Agumon does seem to be the most iconic thing in Digimon. I don't expect him to get in over Klonoa, but who knows? We might get lucky.
You anti-Klonoa then? :p
Personally, I rather like both characters but Agumon is my favourite, for many reasons, not least of which being that Digimon was what I watched when season 2 of Pokemon came out and destroyed all of the show's credibility.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I have been thinking, what if like Ryu; Agumon's final smashes are optional? Like he can go Metal Greymon or War Greymon with different inputs and depending of the situation you need.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You anti-Klonoa then? :p
Personally, I rather like both characters but Agumon is my favourite, for many reasons, not least of which being that Digimon was what I watched when season 2 of Pokemon came out and destroyed all of the show's credibility.
No, I'm not, I just don't know Bandai Namco games at all.

@ Graizen Graizen asked me to visit this thread few days ago, and I realized there are no movesets in OP. I decided to look some movesets for Agumon.

(Please note that I'm not actually supporting Agumon for Smash, I just wanted to contribute something)

Both from GameFaqs:

Up Special: Sharp Claw (Uppercut)
Neutral Special: Pepper Breath
Side Special: Sharp Claw (Dash)
Down Special: Shinka/Digivolve (Allows Agumon to Digivolve up to 3 stages, but requires certain amount of damage to trigger it (Champion: 30%, Ultimate: 70%, Mega: 120%). Also changes moveset, except for the Down Special, which becomes useless.)
Final Smash: AncientGreymon
A - Swipe
AA - Two swipes
AAA - Two swipes and a bite

^A Smash - Headbutt (Like Mario's)
> & < A Smash - Kung Fu Straight Punch (Obvious knock back)
vA Smash - Spins on back, feet and hand claws extended

B - Pepper Breath
> & < B - Dash and Close up Pepper Breath (knock back)
^B - Summons rock and jumps off it, hitting all below
vB - Flamethrower (steadily gets short, like Bowser's B)

FS - Digivolve into SkullGreymon and blasts Bone missiles at the stage (Like Snake's FS, but more wide ranged)
After about 10 sec., he digivolves back into Agumon.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Speaking of movesets, I updated mine's UpB after doing some research on (Read: playing of) Allstar Rumble.
Also, here's a few more moves:

Dash Attack - Twin Kick: Agumon throws a hand down as he's running, enabling him to pivot his body into a double footed low kick that hits for ~8% and fairly decent 10 degree upwards knockback. This move has comparatively low start up lag but makes up for it in the time Agumon takes to right himself afterwards.
Up Tilt - Wild Whip: Agumon throws his arms up in a sweeping motion that passes infront of his head and will catch most enemies infront of him (just not super low ones like a crouching kirby), launching them into the air with impressive, yet slowly scaling vertical knockback that won't kill until well over 200 percent. It does around 5% damage and has low to medium startup lag, with little afterwards.
Up Smash - Claw Uppercut: A chargeable move resembling Agumon's recovery but with less fire and no actual jump. This version hits a maximum of 3 times instead of 4 and will therefore do less damage (~9%) unless fully charged, at which point each hit will do around 6% for a whopping 18% total. Even uncharged, however, the startup on this move is noticeable and so is its ending so the fact that it will kill vertically at about 150% and far more reliably than its Wildfire counterpart, or ~100% at full charge, is the main appeal of this move. The fact that it always hits upwards and 5 degrees forwards, with less afterlag than Battle Hawk, is a welcome addition though.

No, I'm not, I just don't know Bandai Namco games at all.
Ah, ok, it was just the implication given by you claiming both that you had no knowledge of Agumon and that it'd be lucky to have him over Klonoa.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I definitely have to agree, the appeal of a Pokemon vs. Digimon would make an excellent fan service.
What makes it even better is not only could Agumon vs. Pikachu the face of each respective franchise, but Agumon could also have the opportunity to battle another counter part, that being Charizard.
If you could pick any two pokemon for Agumon to square off against, it would definitely one of those two.

I wonder if Sakurai has considered this, or if it's crossed his mind, and what his opinion on it would be.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Color me surprised at Agumon's recent surge in popularity on Smashboards (not by a huge margin but still very noticeable). Certainly proves that Pokemon vs. Digimon is still very much a liked concept, and a lot of people would come out of the wood work to support the idea if it ever became a possibility.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
For some reason, I believe his normal B attack Pepper Breath should have knock back. Or at least like Ryu, a way to shoot it in different strenghts.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I will write my theory of why I believe Digimon and Pokémon will meet soon:

The answer is very simple and is called Mega Evolution. I had never seen anything so identical to Digimon within the Pokémon universe, even the name is the same (in Japan it is called Warp and in the US is called Mega), but the features and even some formats are similar.

1 - The Mega evolving Pokémon is a temporary one, your monster will return to normal after a while. The same goes with Digimon.
2 - The Pokémon will return to normal after spending all energy. The same with Digimon.
3 - The Mega evolution is rare to happen between Pokémon. The same with Digimon.
4 - The trainer needs a device to create a Mega evolution. Digivices?
5 - The DNA symbol used in Mega evolution is also used in Digievolutions.
6 - The sentimental link between the Pokémon and the trainer is the same with the Digimon and his chosen ones.
7 - The level of power used by Mega forms of Pokémon is extremely high and could equate to some strong Digimon.
8 - The appearance of Mega Pokemon is just a modification of the original form, just like Digimon.
9 - They will even shout "Mega evolve Charizard!" , Identical to Digimon!

Needless to mention that Porygon is practically a Digimon. He could easily connect the two worlds.

But the fact is that these Mega evolving Pokémon is a blatant copy of Mega Digievolutions. And I believe this will be the starting point for a meeting between the two universes, especially now with Namco Bandai and Nintendo working together.

Below are some images of the facts:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

The answer is very simple and is called Mega Evolution. I had never seen anything so identical to Digimon within the Pokémon universe, even the name is the same (in Japan it is called Warp and in the US is called Mega), but the features and even some formats are similar.

1 - The Mega evolving Pokémon is a temporary one, your monster will return to normal after a while. The same goes with Digimon.
2 - The Pokémon will return to normal after spending all energy. The same with Digimon.
3 - The Mega evolution is rare to happen between Pokémon. The same with Digimon.
6 - The sentimental link between the Pokémon and the trainer is the same with the Digimon and his chosen ones.
7 - The level of power used by Mega forms of Pokémon is extremely high and could equate to some strong Digimon.
8 - The appearance of Mega Pokemon is just a modification of the original form, just like Digimon.

Needless to mention that Porygon is practically a Digimon. He could easily connect the two worlds.

But the fact is that these Mega evolving Pokémon is a blatant copy of Mega Digievolutions. And I believe this will be the starting point for a meeting between the two universes, especially now with Namco Bandai and Nintendo working together.

Still a better theory than anything MattPatt and the other Game Theorists could make up.

With Namco being closer to Nintendo these days, I think the chances of it happening are pretty likely. I'm sure they ought to remember the rivalry both series had in the old days with their shows (and games to a lesser extent) and want to relive that experience in the future where both Pokemon and Digimon fans wouldn't expect. Though to say, battles between the two of them would be a bit risky since Digimon are on a whole new level in comparison to Pokemon since they can be more destructive and bigger. So having a Digimon character in Smash would be a bit less risky than having a crossover in the anime series due to the sheer power scale balancing between the two of them.

This is a good theory... but I have to admit that I doubt it's true. Sure, Mega Evolutions are similar to Digimon's Mega forms, but I doubt it actually means anything... it could be just a coincidence (or Pokemon just copied Digimon, lol).

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Not yet.

Wait three generations for the Pokemon Company to buy Digimon and then do a generation with "Pokemon Red and Digimon Blue" as the two games. Only with different colors.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Some random guy on youtube said it best when he pointed out that yes, mega evolutions are ripping off Digimon but the fact that people are fussing over it now only shows how blind they were in their youth.
Digimon were originally a tamigotchi offshoot with different forms based on how you treated them. Which makes sense, hapiness (and crappiness) is a stat common to all virtual pets so using it to determine evolution made sense. Why then, did the monster collecting and battling game, with no focus on raising at all, follow the same path?

I don't remember what else he mentioned but his point was clear, Pokemon has had many elements over the years that have been suspiciously similar to what Digimon did beforehand. Mega evolution is not the first.

As for Pokemon Red/Digimon Blue, I'd expect something more like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon/Digimon Mystery Dungeon, the Poke/Digi split is enough without colours on top.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

to be fair inst that true of a lot of things in anime manga and the like, the terminology in pokemon and digimon was all ready similar im sure there are alot of things we could compare mega evolution and mega digimon i dont think we can really say it is a copy of digimon a few similarity is not a lot to go on

Morbi

Scavenger

To be completely honest, I believe that Mega Evolutions were borrowed from Digimon to freshen up the IP. It would be a familar concept and therefore "tangible" to fans of the series who had something to relate it to. There are many similarities between Digimon and Pokemon, but that does not necessarily mean that they will cross-over. I will admit that the potential is more apparent than once before. To be fair, Agumon in Smash would help establish some precedent for this theory. I am just murky on the details of who owns the television/film rights to Digimon. Is that still Namco?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

While I agree that Mega Evolutions (and quite a few other raising features) were taken from Digimon, which the Pokemon Company might not see as a major competitor now that it has fallen out of the limelight. But because the similarities exist (and similarities existed beforehand) does not mean a crossover is imminent. The Pokemon Company is hesitant to do any sort of crossovers outside Smash. This should be made very apparent by how few games the Pokemon amiibo can actually work on (it's a miracle in my eyes that Pokemon can be used in Super Mario Maker). A crossover with a former competitor seems very out-of-character for the Pokemon Company no matter how awesome it would be.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Sorry, I really doubt they will meet... but Link was in SC2 and they are helping with Smash bros... maybe a Digimon will be a playable guest in Pokken.

Top Bottom