• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vman's Yoshi (New Videos)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Allrite, As promised, i've halted my Mewtwo/Falco to expand and upgrade to my favorite Mario related character "Yoshi" Here are the results of about 3 weeks of practice...and I must admit, I've never had so much fun, perfecting a character...Yoshi, has that "thrill" and fun of playing a character..., and yet the difficulty learning curve that I love so much about him, not to mention, he has MANY horrible matchups, so learning all of these, only hypens the thrill.....I' even miss the feeling of losing match, after match, but just practicing/learning all these matchups.. ^^

As promised, I will keep playing Yoshi, until it reaches my Mewtwo/Falco status....*sigh* gotta love us AZ players... Taj (Mewtwo) Axe (Pikachu) Don't know why AZ loves low tier.. lol but man is it fun...

Anyways, here you all go...Any, and all critique would be greatly appreciated, I' will do every, and I mean every possible thing to make my Yoshi, if not my best character now... Soo...here you go..

Set (Best of 3)

V3ctorMan (Yoshi) vs Tag$ (Falcon) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVRIIgwUNI
V3ctorMan (Yoshi) vs Tag$ (Falco) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlb1t37mRD4
V3ctorMan (Yoshi) vs Tag$ (Falco) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmCiShUViOA

So there you have it... Critique/comment...Hopefully I can get him up there...I've established this as my new goal ^^

Winnar

Smash Lord
I haven't had this much fun watching Yoshi since Fumi

Good.

The only thing I might mention is that light shielding is a semi-decent way to get out of shield pressure. In the last video there were a few places where you could have light shielded on a platform, slid off, then instantly attacked back or ran away.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****

First I got to say that your yoshi is smooth. Nice mixing up d-throw to nairs to catch your opponent off guard, totally messes with the DI lol.

I'd suggest not doing edge-eggs while the opponent is right there, just because of the risk that entails. I don't know what else to say but keep doing what you're doing, it's good.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That is a nice @$$ Yoshi, WTF IS THIS SH*T LOL

First, some compliments. I like your DJC up airs. While there are some obvious flaws in your usage, mainly blatantly using it on shields, you do have some nice pressure with it and I -WILL- be stealing that for tournament use, ROOOOFL. Next, your tilt game is very nice. Especially forward tilt, which I am probably the second biggest fan of, and it's so good for Yoshi's bad matchups. Finally, GREAT movement. You're clearly comfortable with the character and aren't sliding around just because you can, but because it's serving some purpose for your gameplay. I like it.

Now, time to sh*t on some stuff. First, it's cool that you guys have jab battles (I had them, too, back in 06). One thing you'll learn, however, is that people will more often than not CC into things that can punish harder than a jab (unless jab is the character's better punish option out of CC). If you see someone is CCing your jabs, don't do the second one--Brawl Yoshis have trouble with this also. Next, blatantly attacking shields like you do has to become more refined. I am understanding the nuances of your very extreme pressure style, but you have to be a little smarter about it. For instance, instead of neutral airing someone's shield outright, try to DJC neutral through their shield and end up behind them, limiting their options. Against tall characters or characters with small shields, instead of jabbing to DJC up airs on their shields, try single jab to down tilt back to single jab and then react from there. On characters like Captain Falcon, you can do this to force jumps out of shield and if you find they lock themselves in shield, keep repeating until you poke with down tilt. Things like that. Next thing. DI. This goes both ways. By that I mean, you need to learn how to DI certain things better, like Falco's shine. People can get EXTREME angular DI off of this move and it really f*cks with his combo status. Likewise, when you see people are DIing your junk (especially your down throw), MIX IT UP. At higher percents against fastfallers if you see they're DIing your down throw away, do UP THROW INSTEAD and it f*cks with them FOR EVER. If you see they're DIing your forward tilts to get an angle off of it, angle your tilt instead of hitting with the straight one to mess their sh*t up. Finally, fix that edgeguard game. I think this is the weakest part of your game by far just from what you've shown us and I think you could really become a stock reaper if you could aim your edge eggs a bit better and generally have a higher edgeguard success percentage with your forward and neutral aerials at the edge.

This Yoshi is an 8 out of 10 on my WTF meter. KEEP IT UP

Seba

Smash Cadet
Only three weeks of practice and you already have a **** Yoshi. It's a good thing you are practicing those hard *** matchups such as Falco and Falcon.
Falcon vs Yoshi imo is a consecutive trade of combos, sadly, it's easier for Falcon to get an opening and combo you from 0-death. Yoshi must rely on tech chases at low percentages but he can combo Falcon very well after you have dealed some damage. I liked the combo on Falcon's first stock, those were nice variations bewteen Uair and Utilt. Edgeguarding Falcon is tricky tho, specially if it's a techy one. Walljump to Bair can be very annoying. Overall, I liked your movement/usage of plataforms on PS. Very sexy.

Falco, on the other hand, ***** Yoshi much harder and it's a pain to handle. DI'ing the Shine is crucial if you hope to get away from Falco's trademark combos (0-70% usually, that's half your stock eventually).
Axe has a **** Falco so you could get practice from him (assuming you live close), getting 3 stocked by a Falco is actually pretty common as Yoshi but practice makes perfect. Tag has a nice Falco and you did a good job keeping up, your match on YS had lots of smart decisions and combos that are key in top tier matchups.

It would be nice to see you vs Shiek and Fox (Yoshi's worst matchup imo). Or you vs Axe's Pikachu or Taj's Mewtwo.

Anyway it's always a good idea to post videos here to get advice. Shiri's very smart I got better due to his advice when I was a little n00b. Now I'm only a n00b =)

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Love. Guys. im excited. there are so many good yoshis appearing.

Also. there are like over 9000 different styles of yoshi. and i think most of them are viable.

if we keep playing perhaps yosh will move up the tier list!!

Winnar

Smash Lord
Maaaaaaybe, but I'm not super concerned with that. I'm more excited in seeing how other people play yoshi

and also seeing more people get excited about the adorable dino :yoshi:

Edit - OH! That reminds me guys I think I'm going to actually get vids of my yoshi up this week!!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Thanks everyone for the critique, and stuff, ^^

Right now, i'm getting footage of me vs Axe's Falco/Pikachu.. and hopefully some vs Forward as well, I know it has been discussed before..but supershielding with yoshi, is actually rather amazing...., i know some people dispute on whether it should, shouldn't be used.. or put that much time to implement into their game...but.. I say it's COMPLETELY necessary to even..come close to taking games off of Axe/Forward.. I definetely recommend it...

It's the one think Yoshi has that NO other character does, I think implementing it into gameplay, is all for the better.. if you want yoshi to move from bottom to low... (cuz i sure want yoshi out of bottom)

@Winnar - can't wait to see your Yoshi, I'll have some hopefully this week vs fine players, Forward/Axe/maybe even Taj... ^^

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Parrying is too good!! It's not as hard as some people make it out to be. I do it in ssb64 and melee all the time.

It's not single handedly going to close the gap vs top players like AXE/Forward though. I'm in Colbol's crew and I'll parry a bunch of his approaches but he'll still 4 stock me lol.

Alexman0817

Smash Rookie
Kinda new to yoshi here, but im improving. I'll see if I can upload some battles so you guys can give me a hand. It's awesome that the yoshi community is growing, dude I just love yoshi its just so much fun.

Props to all the yoshi players. Lets get this eggs rollin =D

Animal

Smash Lord
you make him look god tier, how do you deal with shield pressure?

i think yoshi does have the potential to move up on the tier list. definitely.

Top Bottom