• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Videos of my Zelda (First timer) *Updated 12/23/08*

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Ello Zelda players. I Got into Zelda last week and wanted to get good with her. No I will not secondary her or anything like this. She is just fun to use so I use her when bored. I played around with her in training mode and against LV9 CPU for practice and getting the feel of Zelda. Then I decided to go try her out on some people. So here they are. And advice you have and all is welcome. I think with Zelda I can edgeguard better then what I do now to really bring on the hurt. I noticed there was times in my matches where I could have maybe got a sweetspot Kick or maybe a spike.

And I don't know her match ups at all. And from what I played with Zelda, so Far I am not all that great against Wario. Match up is hard for me. I'll see if I can play a wario and get that recorded for help. I just try to space myself. with characters I am not use to and work from there.

Ok, enough of that, time for videos.

Vs Sheik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPKQZFDOjY&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

Vs JigglyPuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR72JWJVTxE&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

Vs Fox:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IdsS0bdlVo&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

Vs Peach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yKQpoHXhI&feature=channel_page&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Kv3ttMRjA&feature=channel_page&fmt=18 New

Vs Dk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNuWf2aloco&feature=channel_page&fmt=18 New
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU0FWLoP6Bk&feature=channel_page&fmt=18 New

Vs Yoshi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xhp9SYXcQ&feature=channel_page&fmt=18 New

Vs Pit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTFrpYFhbU0&feature=channel_page&fmt=18 New

Vs Zero Suit Samus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7WIQSlM1qs&feature=channel_page&fmt=18New

enjoy these and comment/advice/rate.

Villi

Smash Lord
lol Wario's aerial speed is faster than Zelda's dash. >.< He's quite bothersome. *watches vids*

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I know! And your ftilts were put to good use too. You'd do well with her!
Try bairing OoS if anyone's close, they'll go flying!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Someone who actually uses Zelda's jab! *hugs you*
#<___<#

Ha ha ha. I like her Jab. So sweet for spacing and has good Knock back. good for close encounters and you wanna break away from your enemy.

I know! And your ftilts were put to good use too. You'd do well with her!
Try bairing OoS if anyone's close, they'll go flying!
I So Bair OoS. Not sure if I did in the last vids but I do do it.

Ok I have more videos of my Zelda up and ready for watching, just look at the first Post and the links that are marked *New*

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Love the new ones! You're wicked! You have really good spacing. And you're quite aggressive, which is a nice surprise when people fight a Zelda - they always expect her to be to really defensive. I think you have a style with her that works and I can't fault that!

I'm looking at the peach matchup and thinking I've got it all down wrong, because I'm getting hit by her a lot but it seems to be the other way round in your vid lmao! Maybe because you're so down with her moveset that you it's easier for you to fight against her. Also Zelda's Utilt tends to trades with all of her aerials, so if your both at higher percents it might be good, with good timing, to make that tradeoff, as normally it kills.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I'm looking at the peach matchup and thinking I've got it all down wrong, because I'm getting hit by her a lot but it seems to be the other way round in your vid lmao! Maybe because you're so down with her moveset that you it's easier for you to fight against her. Also Zelda's Utilt tends to trades with all of her aerials, so if your both at higher percents it might be good, with good timing, to make that tradeoff, as normally it kills.
I wouldn't say it was all wrong, and I don't think you should change it based on one players' videos. I've been fighting Peach on wifi for the past 3 days and I'd say your analysis was pretty much how our matches went (and I was at the very least holding my own.) Granted, it was wifi, but my opponent knew what he was doing. Of course, from what I understand, Dark. Pch mains Peach and would therefore be very familiar with the matchup.

However, my knowledge of the matchup could be wrong, and Dark. Pch might have a far better understanding of how to fight Peach, but I say in the meantime, don't change anything about your matchup synopsis just yet.

Edit: (Maybe I should watch Dark. Pch's vids now, and maybe learn a thing or two. ^^)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Thankyou very much! =) I'm glad to know it went down the same for you as well, I wrote that from experience and just what the general view is regarding the matchup, hopefully it works out for people.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Love the new ones! You're wicked! You have really good spacing. And you're quite aggressive, which is a nice surprise when people fight a Zelda - they always expect her to be to really defensive. I think you have a style with her that works and I can't fault that!

Well being a Peach main. I know what to expect from my character. And I just think of ways to counter it with Zelda. I try to make her swing at me first then punish. Peach has better approaches then I do. So there is no use me trying to rush at her all the time. Also I try to counter her Dairs and Fairs with well spaced and times Nair. I hit with the tip of her hands so it can Pierce Peach and she gets caught within it. Dairs, I do leveled Nairs to stop that and hit her since her dair hits from under.

But thanks for the comment. I only been at Zelda for about a week now. Oh and for some reason. I love fight Snakes with Zelda. I feel just fine against good snakes.

And I am agressive? huh. I never really noticed. I thought I was defensive but just spacing. But if I did well with that then ok.

Fieryblast

Smash Rookie
Hmmmm... not bad considering you're just using her for fun. That said... I can see some room for improvement. You use her nair a little too much. It is a great move, but occasionally you seem to like using it when your opponent isn't anywhere near you. The move doesn't have very high priority, so an opponent can punish you if you aren't more careful with it. You seemed to consistently use bair, which is a plus, but I don't think the circumstances you used it in were very good. It is a situational move, and a fairly predictable one at that. In a few instances you used it rather frequently, both weakening the move (stale moves) and giving your opponent some insight in to your usage of the move. The usage of the jab was good, but it seemed like you just kinda sat there spamming it on a few occasions-- I suppose hoping the opponent would run in to it. You used dtilt similarly on a few occasions. Both are nice for stopping an incoming opponent, but I wouldn't recommend using them too often when your opponent isn't actually close to you-- it may allow an opponent with a projectile to get a hit in. In some instances your usage of Farore's Wind was pretty good, in others... it was questionable. Using the start-up as a means of damaging an opponent, for example, is an extremely risky move. It worked in that instance, but I wouldn't recommend making it something you commonly use. Also, I don't think you use grabs quite enough.

I actually liked your usage of tilts, that was pretty good. You even got a few combos in, such as the dtilt->ftilt. Your approach with Din's was pretty good, but your spacing was a little off some times. Overall it was good, and obviously you did well playing as her. Admittedly, I only watched five of the videos completely, so I suppose a later video may have corrected something I commented on. Anyway, it couldn't hurt to pick her up as a secondary... ;)

Luthien

Smash Ace
Hmmmm... not bad considering you're just using her for fun. That said... I can see some room for improvement. You use her nair a little too much. It is a great move, but occasionally you seem to like using it when your opponent isn't anywhere near you. The move doesn't have very high priority, so an opponent can punish you if you aren't more careful with it.
Um... what? This confuses me.
I don't see how you can be punished for nair... if you're opponent isn't "anywhere near you." If the opponent isn't close, the priority of the move doesn't matter (unless you're fighting an opponent with energy based projectiles, of course) because it's not going to encounter anything. Also, you're opponent is going to have trouble punishing you for nair when far away because:
a) Zelda has crazy air-momentum control (very good for spacing with arials).
b) Nair has practically no landing lag (you can Usmash right away out of the middle of it, too).
I understand the precaution, but... I don't know, the idea didn't make sense to me.

That's all I have to contribute, as I've only watched one or two videos. ^^ If I took what you said out of context, I'm sorry. If you could show me examples of when Dark. Pch could have been punished in these situations, I would like to see that. But I have a hard time picturing someone getting punished for nair when the opponent is far away (or relatively close, for that matter).

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Hmmmm... not bad considering you're just using her for fun. That said... I can see some room for improvement. You use her nair a little too much. It is a great move, but occasionally you seem to like using it when your opponent isn't anywhere near you. The move doesn't have very high priority, so an opponent can punish you if you aren't more careful with it. You seemed to consistently use bair, which is a plus, but I don't think the circumstances you used it in were very good. It is a situational move, and a fairly predictable one at that. In a few instances you used it rather frequently, both weakening the move (stale moves) and giving your opponent some insight in to your usage of the move. The usage of the jab was good, but it seemed like you just kinda sat there spamming it on a few occasions-- I suppose hoping the opponent would run in to it. You used dtilt similarly on a few occasions. Both are nice for stopping an incoming opponent, but I wouldn't recommend using them too often when your opponent isn't actually close to you-- it may allow an opponent with a projectile to get a hit in. In some instances your usage of Farore's Wind was pretty good, in others... it was questionable. Using the start-up as a means of damaging an opponent, for example, is an extremely risky move. It worked in that instance, but I wouldn't recommend making it something you commonly use. Also, I don't think you use grabs quite enough.

I actually liked your usage of tilts, that was pretty good. You even got a few combos in, such as the dtilt->ftilt. Your approach with Din's was pretty good, but your spacing was a little off some times. Overall it was good, and obviously you did well playing as her. Admittedly, I only watched five of the videos completely, so I suppose a later video may have corrected something I commented on. Anyway, it couldn't hurt to pick her up as a secondary... ;)
The reason I used moves when one was not near me is for spacing and what I call a barrier. I make it hard for one to get inside me. So when doing this:

- I can't be rushed

- If one comes at me, they will worry about getting hit. then I am bound to find an opening and take it.

- My spacing

What you see is me doing something for no reason, is me doping it for a reason that works and gets me the wins.

Luthien

Smash Ace
The reason I used moves when one was not near me is for spacing and what I call a barrier. I make it hard for one to get inside me. So when doing this:
- I can't be rushed
- If one comes at me, they will worry about getting hit. then I am bound to find an opening and take it.
- My spacing
What you see is me doing something for no reason, is me doping it for a reason that works and gets me the wins.
I figured as much. Granted, I don't think this barrier strategy is always wise, but I'm sure you already know that. Are there any specific matchups you would reccomend not risking (arial) barriers, or things like that? Also, what do you do when your opponent approaches with shield? I think that this barrier strategy is far riskier while grounded (like when you use jab and dtilt waiting for your opponent to walk into it), but whatever works for you, I guess.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It does work for me. And I have not played all match ups with Zelda your question I can't answer.

And if my enemy goes at me with a shield:
- If I can reach quick enough, Grab him
- Up-B out of my shield for them trying to shieldgrab me
- Jump back to a Fair.
- Jab 2 Times (First time to push them a lil back with it. Second time to hit them if they try to shieldgrab me or jump out of thier shield to an air attack

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Dark after playing zelda what do you think of her? Have you faced any spammers at all, Zelda doesn't do well against spam =(

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Dark after playing zelda what do you think of her? Have you faced any spammers at all, Zelda doesn't do well against spam =(
Zelda is Fun as hell. Nearly as fun as Peach. If I get bored of Peach I go Zelda to continue the fun.

As for spammers, you mean with projectiles?

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yeah. I'm having a lot of trouble going against Samus and her projectiles, sometimes even Falco's lasers (though these aren't too bad). Have you faced any walls of projectiles before?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Yea I have:

Samus- With her wall if fire power, I usuall relect the shot that goes straight. Not the homing missiles. They usually go back to her twice as fast. And they ether hit her or run into another pojectile that she just shot, and I take this time to move in. Of If I can, get a F-B in there. It will ether hit her or she will shield. Ether way she will stop, and this be my chance to get close.

TL- I Reflect his arrows mostly since that is the faster projectile Zelda can send back at him, and can even stop him for using another one. Or clash into another one. But just as I said with Samus would apply here.

in general. I just evade all of them while getting close. and If there is a fast projectile comming my way, I reflected it. Also I like to up-B near them. I might hit them or do w/e I can depending where I land near them.

Top Bottom