• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

Rizen

Smash Legend
Brawl is ridiculously imbalanced. Tier:
S: (MK) wrecks the CPing system by having no bad or even MUs and does great on every stage, broken on several.
Top: These characters have potential to win. They sort of balance each other.
High: Still broken and have resources to win but are significantly worse than the top tiers.
Mid tiers: Some good high tier MUs but most have exploitable weaknesses. Will have a disadvantage at best in serious tourneys.
Low tiers: Some good traits but major weaknesses. Most MUs are bad. Can compete but are very easy to exploit and CP against, more so than mid tiers.
H tier: Almost entirely bad and terrible MUs. Huge weakness make their strong points often not come into play because they're so easy to take advantage of. Even players who are willing to face bad MUs can be beaten by virtually un-winnable CPs. No all around good stages, some higher character will get more of a stage boost if they also like the stage.

D

Deleted member 189823

Until you use him repeatedly and lose and lose and everyone around you tells you how awesome you make him look and how cool they think he is and you become jaded and begin to hate your character and everyone makes you feel terrible when you say terrible things about him because you get frustrated when you die off the top at 60% and everyone and their mom wants to use game and watch when you're trying to drop him and people keep asking you for tips and you keep asking why because you do terrible in tourney anyway and you look like an *** and you continue to use him anyway because there's that fire in you to win with him and you keep wondering why a high tier character is doing to bad and you start to even wonder if he's high tier and people go marth and you cut your wrists because that's more pleasurable than dealing with marth and you try to pick up character for marth but then you realize marth is marth no matter who you use unless you use D3 or ROB who are stupid anyway and then people on smashboards don't think he's really that good when he is and people don't know that Olimar is the stealth best non MK character in the game and then it's december 2012 and the world explodes.

but yeah he can be fascinating I guess.
Hey, happy face, you are confusing me a little. But no matter what awaits me in the future, I'll overcome it. gaw is my secondary and that won't change.

And yeah, Olimar is amazing outside his crappy and easily-gimpable recovery. I'd put him above Marth.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
New Vids and stuff

I need these critiqued, please.
SmileyFace vs Darklink (AZ #1) - Matches are private so you can only watch them through this link and not my account.
Match 1
Match 2

SmileyFace vs Silly Kyle - Been buffering bacon a lot lately =/
Round Robin Match

Doubles stuff'd oreos - This set is not as critique worthy since me and my partner are generally better players than the other team but still has a little bit a cool stuff. I pull off a pretty sick combo at 1:35 in the first match.
Match 1
Match 2

These are more critique worthy. Rate my random up-b and dair spam calculated team oriented harrassment and KO tactics. My partner and me have never teamed before but neither did they so yeah I'm not really sure how much chemistry we had.
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

The end of match 2 drove me crazy... if only Uair started a few frames faster...

Anyway, yeah I was spamming dsmash outta shield all day that day, maybe from using Peach? It may have carried over or something...

Also I have Peach replays up on my channel too if you care. Most likely not but I know two other here second Peach so maybe they're interested or wanna critique those.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Were you sandbagging hard core vs darklink????

If not... Dude you really gotta stop uairing after every time you get hit. Some times you'd uair and drift into him for absolutely no reason. I don't mean to sound rude, but that's just such an easy thing to fix, and it honestly made you do so much worse than you should've. I could see you beating his marth if you didn't always drift into him (sometimes with reverse bair... wtf?) You'd have little spurts of playing really well and then you'd get combo'd because you're uairing after you get hit no matter what. Stop that, and maybe stop rolling.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Were you sandbagging hard core vs darklink????

If not... Dude you really gotta stop uairing after every time you get hit. Some times you'd uair and drift into him for absolutely no reason. I don't mean to sound rude, but that's just such an easy thing to fix, and it honestly made you do so much worse than you should've. I could see you beating his marth if you didn't always drift into him (sometimes with reverse bair... wtf?) You'd have little spurts of playing really well and then you'd get combo'd because you're uairing after you get hit no matter what. Stop that, and maybe stop rolling.
I just woke up and i'm sooo groggy lol. I'll see if I can give you an excuse after I wake up fully lol.

Watching again and reading that just made me so mad. You're so right *facepalm*

No idea why I kept Uairing (Just listening to the sound in the replays kinda got on my nerves), And I kept drifting towards him like how I did in 08'

warblgarbl lidfblifyh

I feel like I missed out on an opportunity to do better... well whatever at least I know now.

Maybe the rolling came from Peach, because I was actually using her more than Gdubs that day and her roll is better...

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I rarely recover from dair spikes because I dont account for the hitlag when I try to slowfall... Its basic but I gotta practice it

:phone:

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Don't really agree with your uthrows vs MK =(
We have too many options with dthrow lol.

characters you want to consider uthrow for are diddy/DDD/snake/marth(meh)/space animals

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Guess i should have been more specific, i meant more in early percentages to consider uthrow . Diddy/snake have no smash options on dthrow whether they tech or not unless they're at fairly high %'s. You can always predict their tech and go dash attack/regrab.

Again, you can always dash/regrab DDD on dthrow/tech but I'd rather Uthrow, no guessing, free 30%+.
I don't really uthrow marth much unless i manage to get a grab at 10% or something lol. Also Marth is tricky to dthrow because he has his tech in place into upb, though you can always bait it.
And space animals is self explanatory lol.

I'm decent with dthrow predictions but I'd always rather uthrow these characters at low %'s cuz Im guaranteed damage on them lol. Just my preference:/

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Don't really agree with your uthrows vs MK =(
We have too many options with dthrow lol.

characters you want to consider uthrow for are diddy/DDD/snake/marth(meh)/space animals
Yeah that's definitely an accurate observation. Thanks for the tips, guys. It really helps gonna consider this stuff for next tourney.

@LZR: Diddy in the air is easier to deal with than on the ground. DDD is fat and loves to get fishbowl'd, Marth is weak from below because all he generally has is dair, and the space animals like to get juggled.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Rizen -

More Up air! Also, you missed so many bucket opportunities... Mario's fire balls will definitely KO at low percents.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Rizen -

More Up air! Also, you missed so many bucket opportunities... Mario's fire balls will definitely KO at low percents.
Yeah I have to bucket stuff. I need to learn to judge when it's safe faster.
Here is a ladder game vs MK, critiques would be great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpLEN_LtFo&feature=youtu.be
I realize how smash-happy I am. MK scares me, lol; his Dsmash and UpB KO potential is a big threat so I tend to try to KO him ASAP and get reckless.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
There was a couple times where you used dsmash strangely, especially when he used up b at 1:02 and you spotdodged the glide attack. Dsmash takes 15 frames to come out so it's kinda slow compared to better options you have, and because MK was so low to the ground he didn't have any landing lag. It was almost allowing him to get a free hit on you because you committed to a laggy move when he didn't have any lag on him.

At 2:00 When he was standing on a platform above you on the ship, nair is a good platform pressure tool. Utilt was a very strange choice especially because it's range isn't high enough, unless you were looking for drop through. Nair would still be a better choice because it covers more options though...

0:45 His most likely option was uair to nair for shieldpoking so Up B out of shield was definitely your better option right after he hit you with the first uair. If he's coming under you and you have your shield out it's definitely what you should do.

Unless he's quite a ways under you, which you can still use it but to less efficiency. Using it after the uair for example would have put you out of immediate danger.

I hope that makes sense to read...

2:16 you should have used uair especially because he was so high above you, it refreshes your attacks and puts him in a worse spot. Nair when you were quite under him and bair off the platform were really, really strange moves to make, especially when he was descending on you.

Stop using dsmash out of every attack/fishing for kills so much. G&W's smashes are (somewhat) slow and waiting for the read is better than taking unnecessary damage/being predictable. 4 dsmashes from 2:19 to 2:25 for example.

Dsmash does not punish MK's fair.

2:40 Better choice would have been uair because decent opponents would have stayed high.

So far it seems to me you're throwing out moves randomly and not looking at what the opponent's choices are, what they're most likely to do, what the best move in a situation is. Dsmash to punish fair for example.

E.g. Throwing out dsmash hoping it would hit at 1:02. He was low enough to not have landing lag yet you still used a laggy move, kinda looks like you're expecting him to not have his shield up or not do anything.

2:45.........................................................................

needs less smash, I don't know how that hit, especially after you've used dsmash so many times out of key for him to expect it, but oh well.

3:40, watch for yourself.

That's all I have time for, spent a lot of time typing this out. Stop fishing for kills so much, you are being really reckless, especially at 3:46 after landing from a key on shield, you had the disadvantage of dair on shield/landing lag yet you follow up with a laggy attack? That's one of the more noticeable examples.

Stop buffering dsmash out of roll, spotdodge, key, etc. :\ you have to closely watch your opponent and once he leaves himself open then you seize it, throwing out attacks and just hoping they will connect when you have the obvious frame disadvantage will only lead you to taking damage.

Also, you need to see what your opponent's options are and their most likely ones, like if I dair on shield I would expect a shieldgrab, quick punish, etc. and I'd use a spotdodge, roll, or up b. That kind of thing.
When he's under you expect 1 or 2 uairs and a nair, up b, etc. So get ready to up b to (somewhat) safety.

3:50 ehhh

4:00 that's the kind of thing I'd expect, shieldgrab from dair on shield/landing lag, it's common.

4:20 after the landing lag of fair expect an attack like that and be ready to DI it. He expected an attack such as fair for example (probably) and knew how to punish it accordingly.

That's all I have time for.
Also stop using key when you're above him so much. Guess that's it.
Sorry if this sounds rude, I tried. :\

Rizen

Smash Legend
^That didn't sound rude, it's good info :)
I carried over habits from my other characters for a lot of strange and reckless moves :/ . My Link/Wolf/Zelda close range kill spam move is Dsmash; it's a habit I need to break. Several other little non G&W MK strategies happened too.

Thanks for taking the time to critique. Now I know what G&W should do better and can play smarter instead of going autopilot to fill the gaps, lol.

Dueler X

Smash Cadet
Hi guys,

I was recently in a tournament in Wien, Austria.
And something happened that I do not understand.

This is the last match of Losers Final, me Vs Akuma on PS1 :
http://www.twitch.tv/kanjigames/b/311285352 starting at 0:06:39 (sorry for the bad quality) At the last stock, when I lose my last stock ; I was in my shield, wasn't even in the air nor did I input a Bup, but I was in falling animation, which let Akuma hit me with an Utilt. Is it related with the fact PS1 was transforming at this moment ?

Also, if you would like to give your thought on my other tournament matches :
1st set vs VyQ :falcobrawl: http://www.twitch.tv/kanjigames/b/311254938 from 2:58:40 to 3:06:50
2nd set Winners bracket vs Akuma :snakebrawl: :metaknightbrawl: same stream from 3:41:30 to 3:57:55
Winners Final vs Luigi_Player :diddybrawl: same stream from 5:16:50 to 5:32:00
Losers Final vs Akuma (again :snakebrawl: ...) same stream from 5:55:15 to http://www.twitch.tv/kanjigames/b/311285352 at 0:11:50

The other sets were not on stream.
Thanks !!

EDIT : Sorry guys, apparently, Kanji deleted the stream videos. I will upload the videos soon.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Oh my lord Dueler X... That last round against Metaknight is literally some of the best playing I have ever seen.

Amazing.

The up - air to the nine... So good. Then the stage spike at the end: priceless. You are great.

I can't think of anything you did even remotely wrong.

Dueler X

Smash Cadet
Like some other GW mains, I tend to play over-aggressively, fast-paced.
But against match-ups like Diddy or MK, It sometimes cost me more...
Any ideas of what happened in PS1 ?

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
It looks almost like as the stage was transforming he jabbed you which has considerable hitstun, and that is what allowed him to u-tilt. I'm not sure though.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Rizen - you needed to step up the close-quarters down tilt business by about 300%. Also in my opinion I would have used a tad more bacon. Also you never used judgement, which is really anyone's call but I figure it's worth throwing out at least once a round.

Oh and up-air could have saved you from taking some hits on a few occasions.

D

Deleted member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Lusf4SX4Y&t=4m51s

Critique me :D
Im a yoshi main but G&W is one of my main secondaries. I want to make my G&W a force so that i can basically have the fear factor of Cping me to certain stages/with certain characters like ROB and Lucario.
i do know i used dair too much this match xD

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
It's pretty easy to bait ROB into doing what you want in the air as G&W,especially air dodging. You seem to know when he was going to airdodge but you mistime your aerials and he safely lands on the ground again. Don't chase ROB offstage the same way every time because then he'll know exactly how to avoid it lol. Sometimes it's just better to wait onstage, especially against characters like ROB that have very little options on safely getting back onstage vs G&W. Also Dtilt more as an edgeguard.

You seem to chasing ROB most of the match and getting punished for unsafe approaches lol. Aggression will work but only if you space your approaches so that he'll attempt a punish but won't hit you. Basically you want to space approaches so that your opponent thinks he can punish you, so he does something laggy/stupid, then you go in for your punish>juggle. Overall like most G&W players, you need to work on your spacing, when to time your aerials, and how to follow up properly. There were plenty of times where you got a hit in and you could have followed up with nair but you got him with 2-3 hits of bair instead :(.

In short terms, work on your reads as G&W loool.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Hey, could I get my vids critiqued, too? Everyone pretty much skipped mine. :glare:
I'll do them right away.

Well, from your first match, you're throwing out a lot of moves into thin air and not really looking at your opponent. You're overusing bair and fair as well and not really using them for the right reasons. Nair is definitely a better move to use then bair if your opponent is shielding on a platform, and I saw you throw out bair under the platform a couple times.
You're kinda running in and hoping for the best, and I've seen you approach with walk ftilt, which is a really strange choice which I don't know how it worked.
I'd advise watching at least a couple videos of Vinnie and somewhat UTDZac to give you an overview of how to use G&W's moveset, since a lot of those were strange choices for G&W. Mind you, it won't make you godlike, but watch and think about why they picked those choices, etc.
Kaak would be someone else to watch as well though his videos are somewhat oldish.

I'd also suggest working not running into enemy attacks, and Up B is a getoutofthere tool when you're being combo'd or in immediate danger. If you're being attacked and frustrated, just run away and reset the situation.
Mix it up instead of always approaching with bair.

Penta and UTD give us your wisdom :S

I'll do the others soon

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
pretty much agree with Sylarius.

You keep trying to challenge them everytime you get hit by throwing out a fair or bair on reaction lol. Dance around your opponent and see how they react if you get close to them. You don't have to approach all the time.

It's a really hard habit to rid of,but try playing your matches without using bair that much, that way you'll figure out your other options. Pretty much the first thing most G&W players should do lol. Also never randomly throw out laggy SH fair eeeevvveerrr, it's not worth the risk lol. Drop that habit too.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
vs Sonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4e1KS3vhCQ&list=UUBlc1aYEJlv6Kcq6gbC1K7w&index=4&feature=plcp
I feel like I used G&W much better here. I might have won if a few of my Fsmash reads to punish landings had faced the other way. Keep in mind that I do not know this MU with G&W.
Watch your spotdodges closely in the first minute. It's literally the first (or second) thing I noticed.

What happened was in the last minute, he started punishing you a lot. He ran in and started punishing your moves on shield, e.g. shieldgrab dtilt, he tried to shieldgrab your dair but you spotdodged. He predicted your dair and gave you an fsmash, which killed you because of bad DI.
SH Fair is really laggy.
There was another grab while you were in fair landing lag animation.

There was quite a lot of spotdodges as well.

He kept going for hop bair which could have been stopped by roll, uair, nair.

Again, try and mix it up kinda. 0:40 was an input error I guess. At 0:26 you would have been far better off doing a nair instead of ftilt, many many people jump immediately after being hit and it's a bad habit.

Don't spotdodge so much... :| and stop buffering dsmash out of spotdodge! It's so slow :\ I don't understand why you keep doing it. With a character like ROB, sure, since it comes out in 3 frames. But G&W? 15 frames? :\

With Sonic, don't overcommit to an action since he can run in and punish you with his speed. Uh... hm. I don't actually know the MU.
Watch where you're getting hit and what your opponent is doing though, he kept going for the bair so many times in the last minute it made me facepalm (not literally...)
Remember when you're in danger Up B is a good option, the first 1/3 has invincibility.
Use a bit more nair, don't make your landings so predictable as I said, and that spotdodge (+ dsmash) habit needs to be broken.

Top Bottom