• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VIDEO SMASH NEXUS - forum is up!

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
You missed my question altogether, sugar. The question was; as a female are you genuinely interested in competitive gaming? The desire to be competitive is usually caused by testosterone, so that's where my confusion is raised.
O_O I'm confused as to what you are saying. Buzz thought I answered it right, so..... care to explain what answer you are looking for? It's obvious I'm a woman, so the testosterone thing is out of the question.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
It's obvious I'm a woman, so the testosterone thing is out of the question.
And that's what I'm getting at: The desire to be competitive is promoted by testosterone, that's why you don't see as many females competing as you do males. Is your interest in competition genuine, or are you only playing Smash to show that you care about your lover's interests?

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
And that's what I'm getting at: The desire to be competitive is promoted by testosterone, that's why you don't see as many females competing as you do males. Is your interest in competition genuine, or are you only playing Smash to show that you care about your lover's interests?
I don't need to play a video game to show that I care about my lovers interest. I play because it's fun, I like to compete, and I was hard core gamer way before I met Buzz; Halo, Halo 2, 007, Smash Bros., Call of Duty, Doom, Diablo, War Craft, AD&D, Quake, Perfect Dark, Half-Life, Medal of Honor, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, and of course all the other NES, SNES and N64 games in between. All of which I mod on my computer. ;)

Who needs testosterone? *psh*

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Kick ***. If it weren't for your enjoyment of Halo, I'd be all over Buzz's offer for me to move in and sleep in his bed.

Nice new sig Sugar. I think that I might visit your sig shop, as I need a new one. I'll probably still have it done by Sinz though, he's the sig master. If you ever need help with any sig stuff, PM him. He knows Buzz pretty well, and he's a killer sig maker.

Here it is, and I've been wanting a new one for a while, probably one from Golden Sun.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks, but I'm not really wanting to go pro with this sig stuff yet, I'm hoping that I don't get too popular, even though I've gotten like 3 today... I want to get better, so if I ever get a request thats too hard to handle, I'll take your advice. :) BTW, your sig is incredible. I don't think I'm that good yet.... ^_^

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well yeah, Gimp is free, and I have it, but for some reason I got around better in photoshop. I can find more tutorials online for photoshop too.

Hehe, thanks. That's the handiwork of Sinz. Like I said, he's a monster sig maker.

No pro yet huh? Hmm, alright, I understand how you feel. Well, as you have just stated, he's always around if you want his help with a difficult project, so yea. Anyways, back to the topic of this thread...

Wow cool. This looks to be awesome.:lick:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Golden Sun, eh? I have just been waiting for a theme!

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, Kelly got his new Linux laptop, better for programming, so hopefully soon Nexus will be up and running!!! ^_^

*I've been bugging him all summer* ;)

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Ok, Kelly got his new Linux laptop, better for programming, so hopefully soon Nexus will be up and running!!! ^_^

*I've been bugging him all summer* ;)
Bug him to get off his lazy *** and finish this and then get to work on BLR with me. He (or you) need to contact me. There's something of much importance needed to be discussed.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I apologize for the immense delays on this project, but good things have happened. Right now, I am in Web Engineering at my college, and I have learned so many things that will help the VSN immensely! Not only will it turn out better, I learned tricks that will let me skip HUGE heaps of code. So, I am working on it!

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Things have changed a lot because of the stage making update. Buzz's Nexus is on searching by stages (sorta)... but now with Brawl being able to make your own, he needs to tweak a few things.... So... it might be a bit longer.

You can thank Brawl for that.... ;)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Just remember that I am working on it. Yes, school is annoying and gets in the way, but I put time into it whenever I can. However, just like Sakurai, I want my product to be essentially perfect. I am not going overboard with stupid extra features. I am genuinely focusing on making this tool useful.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
This looks awesome. I'm curious though how are you planning to pay for bandwidth? I don't know about the rest of the community, but I would certainly spend a lot of time on such a site.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yeah, for the most part, I will simply fund the project myself, but I will have an omnipresent donation solicitation link. :)

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Yeah, for the most part, I will simply fund the project myself, but I will have an omnipresent donation solicitation link. :)
Ill help fun buzz... i can probably chip in like 10$-20$. cause its a nice thing ya got here.

Also how can i get the beta software again... i cant find it... my compture got reset at page 1...i got nothin...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The final version is progressing very well. ^_^

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
What can I do to help, Buzz? As soon as this is done, you can commit full time to BLR.
To be honest, I need serious help with layout decisions. I am not quite to that point yet, but when the time comes, I need to form a useful User CP layout and "home page" (the starting page that displays recently added videos, featured videos, high ranked videos, etc.).

halfDemon

Smash Lord
To be honest, I need serious help with layout decisions. I am not quite to that point yet, but when the time comes, I need to form a useful User CP layout and "home page" (the starting page that displays recently added videos, featured videos, high ranked videos, etc.).
The demo works great, Buzz. I'm assuming that we can't submit videos since it's a demo, right? I was just wondering how some videos were submitted by other people.

If you need any input on the layout, I can help if needed. I can help with anything else, for that matter.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Correct, halfDemon. There was a group of beta testers that went through and indexed a hefty handful of videos. So, that is how there is a pile of videos already there. And yeah, no one can login and submit right now. I just finished the improved login system, so I am revamping the submit/search pages. Once I complete the moderation tools, I will open it up for users to start indexing.

I need help designing the "home page". Imagine that you walk into the Nexus; what do you see on the front page? I have a partial list: recently added videos, top rated videos, featured videos of the day, etc. The only problem is, how are those arranged? What would that look like? By all means, draw up a mock layout for me! I'll give you credit if I like it. ^_^

Jammer

Smash Lord
I need help designing the "home page". Imagine that you walk into the Nexus; what do you see on the front page? I have a partial list: recently added videos, top rated videos, featured videos of the day, etc. The only problem is, how are those arranged? What would that look like? By all means, draw up a mock layout for me! I'll give you credit if I like it. ^_^
I was always fascinated by user interfaces. I would love to help out in this part of the Nexus.

I'm kind of swamped with homework over the Thanksgiving break, so I don't know if I can get any real mock-ups for you in the very near future. Maybe in a few days--would that be alright? How fast are things moving along, anyway?

I love thinking about human-computer interaction, as well as how things can be aesthetically pleasing. This is right up my alley. I'll certainly enjoy helping out here, especially since I think the Nexus is such a great idea.

I've got some neat ideas for how the Nexus works itself, too.

Oh man, this feels just like one of those school projects that you're so excited to do.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
You have plenty of time to think up interface ideas. The home page will be one of the last things I do since it is a result of an already function system. Right now, I am fixing up the video submit feature. Once that is out of the way, I want to let users start submitting to the index (death to all the video archive sticky threads!!!).

And just so you know, Jammer, the site operates on a max width of 992 pixels. Try to keep any drawings comfortable within those confines. ^_^ Don't worry so much about color or style either. I'm primarily interested in layout.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Okay, Buzz, here's a super-quick layout design for you (it took me about 10 minutes). This is mostly so that I know I'm going in the right direction.

What am I missing? Is it anything like how you expected it to be? But especially, what am I missing?

It's very simple. I have it mostly planned out in my head, but I want some feedback before I spend time making a pretty mock-up. It will also change quite a bit before it's finalized, so don't bother making small adjustments (for example, "Upload" will mostly like change to "Register" or some other word that makes more sense, because the videos will actually be uploaded to YouTube or Google). But I do want to make sure the search items are correct.

I am most concerned with including access to and viewing of the extra features that will be in the final Nexus, but I'm not sure exactly what those features will be.

Thanks, Buzz, and anyone else who wants to make suggestions. I know that picture isn't much, but trust me: I've got some ideas that I think are pretty good.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I like that drawing a lot. It really helps with the brainstorming. As I said, I'm still a ways off from designing a "home page", so at this point, just about anything will work. I'll be sure to release a more public beta test in the near future (since most of the first wave went inactive... ingrates...). That way you can more clearly understand what would be good for the layouts.

As for your drawing, nothing seems to missing since I'm still deciding what would even be good for that front page. It is a relatively straightforward, intuitive layout. I never thought of "top searches" before. That might be useful. The only thing I would add is "top ranked matches".

Top Bottom