• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide (VIDEO INCLUDED)Hookshot Frenzy: A guide on Young Link's Hookshot by SmashMac ($Mac)

PyroHero

Smash Cadet
yea I hate it when you hookshot to close to the wall and you die from it... The only thing I can think of avoiding it is by air dodging away from the wall before using the hookshot. If there are any other ways I'd like to know as well.

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman
ok, this stuff aint working. Not even the trick with the boomerang sending you hight into the air.
why isnt it working? does it only work on older versions of the game?

BlitzSh4ft

Smash Apprentice
Woah.
I had no idea Young Link could do all of these things...
I just may play a little Young Link now, but don't go spreading rumors or anything, $Mac. ^_^

Sugoi_boy

Smash Cadet
Very nice,

I'm an exclusive Y-link, so it helps me a lot. Although i cant see some of them being applicable in real fights, I tried most of them and could pull off a few. Great guide ^_^

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
HA!

This is a great guide. I think what got me the most wasn't the techniques listed, but the sheer depth of it all. Frames, hitboxes, it's brilliant. I second YLink/Luigi, so this really helps me out if I'm trying to be extra flashy.

Thanks a lot!

Nishin

Smash Apprentice
Great guide!

Notice how Young Link's hookshot is slightly longer in midair (forgive me if you mentioned it, I haven't got time at the moment, to read the entire thing).

ultrament2

Smash Cadet
NNID
ultrament2
this suicide hookshot... i do it all the time and i wish i knew how so i could avoid it. it seems to happen when i hookshot really close to the edge. how do i avoid fall to my death.
When you hookshot too close to the edge, you enter the special falling state you can't do anything out of.
Why not just Airdodge straight up and hookshot almost right after (enough that you don't hear YLink's airdodge sound but still get the so you cancel out the hookshot but get stuck in that falling animation with the boost of the airdodge so you still have the ability to sweetspot the ledge right after? If you're able to reach the ledge that is. You can sometime even reach the stage and you'll have no lag upon landing on the stage if you didn't sweetspot the the ledge. It's even useful for riding up walls.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kMHZa7hFb_8 First off, one thing that my horrible cell phone quality video didn't show or pick up was me Airdodge Tether Boosting, which is performed by Airdodging Up (it doesn't work as well in any other direction besides down and you won't gain the distance needed to sweetspot the ledge if you go right or left with it) and throwing out your tether a frame later. If you don't hear Young Link's Airdodge sound, you've done it right. If you do and you still gain distance, that's okay. You didn't gain the max distance you could off it so keep working on it. The reason why the Tether is coming out at the beginning instead of the end is because if you fail at the end, you don't have any momentum from the air-dodge to make it back on stage, much less make it to the ledge for that sweetspot. Second, I misnamed one thing in the video: I called a failed grapple a tether cancel when a tether cancel still allows you to UpB out of it, a failed grapple leaves you in freefall. I hope this explains some things and I hope this is actually helpful.
PS. The tether cancel can be useful with the Airdodge Tether Boost if you are able to sweetspot the ledge. Right after I began uploading this video, I practiced some more and found that you can use the Airdodge Tether Boost to tether cancel and snap to ledge without needing to press A.

Last edited:
Top Bottom