• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
That little bit at the end where the water pushes you just far enough to where the up-b is just too far from the hydrant is what stops me from getting it off most of the time, but that's just bad timing on my part. I'm glad you managed to show it off though, I had a bit of a tough time understanding how it was supposed to work.

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
EDIT: accidental double post cuz laggy internet is stupid and I don't know how to delete posts :c

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Been playing a lot more pacman, enjoying his wide variety of options.
Let me know how I can improve and what I can do better. Note: there's commentary! :)

PacMan play is at the end - 22:20

I'll be uploading more pacman gameplay, I imagine. I'm liking him.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Guys, I have found some pretty serious glitches. One definitely requires Pac Man and the other I cant really test on my own

The first one causes Villager to freeze indefinitely and happened when I used Up-b just as he had finished pocketing my up-b. This is potentially game breaking as if you have a lead when Villager freezes, you could just time the match out.

The second one in this particular MU, happens at 90% and C.Fal DIs towards centre stage apparently. It needs more testing to see who this works on and if any other characters can do it, but it is pretty crazy.

Conda

Game and Watch vs Pac Man match I commentated:

Match 2:

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Critique wanted please guys

:4pacman:Vs. :4villager:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmM5QHwIXq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rH3hPSPJZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2yOOuZQ5xU

This guy has been winning all the tournaments held in my city so he is pretty good. Was pleased to actually come close to him in some games and even won once.
  • You roll a tad too much
  • Maybe add a little more variety to your use of Bonus Fruit, I mostly saw you using the Orange for the majority of the time. You don't seem to use the galaga ship, the melon, or the key much; and I don't remember seeing you use the bell even once.
  • Sometimes your use of SideB was good, other times it wasn't. You did a pretty good job when you were recovering low and I saw you make a few good surprise attacks with it, but other times you recovered high with it onstage and one time you even sideb'd into histree and died.
  • Sometimes you seem to double jump immediately when you recover, which limits your options coming back down. Sometimes your hydrant dropping was a little risky too
  • On the Lylat Cruise Stage, you probably could've dropped a hydrant on one of the platforms and make an onstage trampoline for stage control. Might not be as efficient against Villager, but worth remembering for when you fight someone else, particularly a character who is forced to approach you like Falcon or Lil Mac.
  • This is a bad habit I also am trying to fix myself, but I think you get a little too smash heavy at times. If you were playing as Little Mac or Mario (whose smashes have lower cooldown than most) it might've been a little less problematic, but Pac-Man's smashes are pretty slow and punishable, and should be saved for hard reads and punishing themselves.
I have one real critique though:
(joke :laugh:) Please loop the background music better next time, or simply record the game's volume. Felt weird.
Other than that, not bad.

Now if you got the time to return the favor by havin' a little look at my videos, it'd be awesome. Or at least this one (2nd match only, since I used Greninja in the first one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9Yx3cMYZs&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=62

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I have one real critique though:
(joke :laugh:) Please loop the background music better next time, or simply record the game's volume. Felt weird.
Other than that, not bad.
Sorry, I recorded the Wii U Gamepad instead of the telly but forgot to put the sound on. I didnt want awful sound quality so I just threw on some reasonable stage music. Unfortunately, I couldnt be bothered looping it properly so I just threw on the same track enough times for it to finish haha.

• You roll a tad too much
Personal problem I have, dunno why I do it but I do. Even in Project M with Game and Watch (his roll dodge is horrible) I still roll. Just something I gotta work on.

• Maybe add a little more variety to your use of Bonus Fruit, I mostly saw you using the Orange for the majority of the time. You don't seem to use the galaga ship, the melon, or the key much; and I don't remember seeing you use the bell even once.
I find orange and apple most useful against Villager. Key is problematic t charge, Bell is too but with less reward than Key, Galaxian I still dont see the point of using, Melon is too slow for the Villager MU where you need a surprise projectile. But noted because Orange and Apple are usually my go to.

• Sometimes your use of SideB was good, other times it wasn't. You did a pretty good job when you were recovering low and I saw you make a few good surprise attacks with it, but other times you recovered high with it onstage and one time you even sideb'd into histree and died.
I was praying on Super Armour. Didnt work though. Side-b is a weird one for me. I used it too much then never, now I am trying to work it back into my game. I have died a lot because of it, but I have also won games through landing it so its just down to me not being an idiot (a difficult task, I know)

• Sometimes you seem to double jump immediately when you recover, which limits your options coming back down. Sometimes your hydrant dropping was a little risky too
Noted but do you mind going into a bit more detail please? Noted about hydrant dropping, its just another habit I have got into I guess but it is so useful in some MUs.

• On the Lylat Cruise Stage, you probably could've dropped a hydrant on one of the platforms and make an onstage trampoline for stage control. Might not be as efficient against Villager, but worth remembering for when you fight someone else, particularly a character who is forced to approach you like Falcon or Lil Mac.
Noted but yeah, its not really useful in the MU. There is no time really to do anything but either attack or defend or charge Bonus Fruit.

• This is a bad habit I also am trying to fix myself, but I think you get a little too smash heavy at times. If you were playing as Little Mac or Mario (whose smashes have lower cooldown than most) it might've been a little less problematic, but Pac-Man's smashes are pretty slow and punishable, and should be saved for hard reads and punishing themselves.
Noted, its another thing like rolling that is a bad habit I have across games. Just another thing I need to work on reducing although it is much better than it was.
Now if you got the time to return the favor by havin' a little look at my videos, it'd be awesome. Or at least this one (2nd match only, since I used Greninja in the first one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9Yx3cMYZs&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=62
Why of course.

Well first thing is first, do not try to grab Mac so much. Grab is essenially useless against quicker characters because most of their attacks are gonna hit before the grab-box emerges from its cave of disappointment. I also recommend using grab as a follow up to down throw rather than a dash attack because most opponents first reaction is to either roll away or shield. Pacs Tether grab is perfect for stopping rollers and if they are just sitting in their shield, they might not have time to react to the grab. I saw a missed opportunity to follow up with a grab against both DK and Gren. If you want to see an example of this, rewatch the match I won against the Villager guy.

Against Jiggly you Fthrowed twice. There are very few follow ups to this and it does nearly half the damage of a B-throw which does have potential Tech-chase follow ups. Same with Down-throw. They are much, much better options than F or U throw. You also didnt really shield as much as you probably should have. If she is in the air, she wont be able to grab you, so shield those aerials. You did well to comeback though man, congrats. One other concerning thing was your lack of Side-b recovery. A quick one of those may have saved you on that first stock.

Against G&W you got walled out by dash attacks, Nair out of shield is a good option to cover the ending lag of it. I wouldnt recommend a grab OoS unless you think he will shield after the DA. Other than that, Dthrow is much easier to follow up at low percents than Bthrow and you didnt really gain anything by throwing him offstage. You also fthrowed but we already covered that so there you go.

Nothing really to say about the Dedede match I havent already covered

ZSS your play was solid, good shield pressure but Pac is much more comfortable letting the opponent approach him especially a quick character like ZSS. Grab is good against ZSS but be more careful. Only grab her if she whiffs a laggy move like her dair, her grab, etc. not just willy nilly. She is too fast to let you go unpunished. Other than that, too much B-trhow not enough D-throw. Honestly man, there are some great tech chase chain grabs you can get together if you can keep reading the opponent and it really racks up the damage. Bthrow is better higher percents and as its a kill throw, best used fresh.

Good things (because Im not all harsh criticism and nitpicking)
  • Fruit mixups were good
  • You didnt get too flustered in the Jiggly game after she wiped that first stock off you
  • Grab wasnt ignored
  • You do tend to land most of your Smash attacks (in those matches anyway)
  • You have some nice combos
Hope that was helpful man, and thanks for your critiquing. Maybe in future show us some videos where you lose/nearly lose or dont play so well. It will be much better for critiquing purposes :).

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I really need to upload more videos. Maybe then you would see the power of the galaxian lol. The galaxian is the best fruit for combos and shield pressure. If the opponent is hit by the galaxian, you can immediately follow with a fair into uair, nair, or another fair, while the galaxian loops around and hits them again. I call it a circle of pain. Also, if the opponent shields the galaxian, that's when you go for a grab because the opponent will either roll or dodge while trying to avoid the second hit.
I'll upload a video tomorrow for a good example.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I'm back guys and I've got a lot of catching up to do I see. So far I have added all the videos up to the #112 post by BSP. I will continue adding more later.

Also, I'm not totally certain I'll have time for this after all. While on my little vacation my wife went to the hospital for some abdominal pain. Turns out she was just low on some minerals in her diet but the big thing is that we found out that we're actually having twins! Oh boy am I going to be in over my head. lol

Edit: I've now added all the videos and created a profile for BSP. Next, I'll work on making sure that I get all of the critiques updated and I'll make sure to add the videos to the profile post as well.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm back guys and I've got a lot of catching up to do I see. So far I have added all the videos up to the #112 post by BSP. I will continue adding more later.

Also, I'm not totally certain I'll have time for this after all. While on my little vacation my wife went to the hospital for some abdominal pain. Turns out she was just low on some minerals in her diet but the big thing is that we found out that we're actually having twins! Oh boy am I going to be in over my head. lol

Edit: I've now added all the videos and created a profile for BSP. Next, I'll work on making sure that I get all of the critiques updated and I'll make sure to add the videos to the profile post as well.
Congratulations man! What a pleasant surprise! I give out my most positive energy to you and your new family.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Believe it or not, this shiek was pretty good. He beat out most of my other mains. Against dedede he just barely won, but I could barely touch him with villager. Then I pull out pac man and this happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xgzhn1s1E

It's always fun finding a character someone has little experience playing against.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
@ Paper Maribro Paper Maribro Sorry about the slow response, life has been BUSY.

You have been making improvements, but I think this Villager got into your head. I do not have access to the videos to do exact play by play at the moment. When I did watch them, I did make a few mental notes. With this Villager as pocket heavy as he was, I would of started baiting him to grab hydrant, then follow up with orange. Easy percentage. Once he has Hydrant, he was trying to use it immediately on you, I think you missed this, more so on Lylat. He was leaving himself open to u-airs. There were several times, you basically walked into his tilts and jabs. He also was very effective on catching you with Down air. He kept you grounded, OOS Nair is a great option to escape pressure he was trying to force on you via the air. More Tilts Less Smashes. Less rolling. Try to use more of an air game.

For this particular player I recommend using hydrant as an offstage gimp. if you angle it the right way, you will stage spike him, as he almost always recovered low and near the stage. Do this by shielding the fair, jump OOS toward ledge, hydrant, if you hit his side further from the ledge, easy panic mode.

I can go really in depth, but I will be honest, it will be a bit.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
@ Paper Maribro Paper Maribro Sorry about the slow response, life has been BUSY.

You have been making improvements, but I think this Villager got into your head. I do not have access to the videos to do exact play by play at the moment. When I did watch them, I did make a few mental notes. With this Villager as pocket heavy as he was, I would of started baiting him to grab hydrant, then follow up with orange. Easy percentage. Once he has Hydrant, he was trying to use it immediately on you, I think you missed this, more so on Lylat. He was leaving himself open to u-airs. There were several times, you basically walked into his tilts and jabs. He also was very effective on catching you with Down air. He kept you grounded, OOS Nair is a great option to escape pressure he was trying to force on you via the air. More Tilts Less Smashes. Less rolling. Try to use more of an air game.

For this particular player I recommend using hydrant as an offstage gimp. if you angle it the right way, you will stage spike him, as he almost always recovered low and near the stage. Do this by shielding the fair, jump OOS toward ledge, hydrant, if you hit his side further from the ledge, easy panic mode.

I can go really in depth, but I will be honest, it will be a bit.
Cheers man, I would like as much as help as possible. Thanks for taking the time to watch and make mental notes.

I did stage spike him quite a few times with the hydrant in other matches, I just recorded those three as I enjoyed playing in those ones the most.

OoS Nair, thanks! I need to work this into my game because I havent yet. Villager in general is not a matchup I enjoy particularly. I find it quite volatile and patience requiring. With the tilts and jabs, I think I was probably trying to grab him for a tech chase but I failed that.

With the air game thing, I have really tried to work it into my game but every time I focus on trying to use more aerials, I get bodied really, really badly. It kind of goes against my natural play with Pac and although his aerials are solid, he is much safer on the ground as he has much, much more range which is important when you factor in clashing hitboxes and trades and such like.

As in depth as possible would be great if you can man, I really want to learn as much as possible to improve myself. Once again thanks for writing something down, its always good to hear back from people about progress.

BSP

Smash Legend
Critique wanted please guys

:4pacman:Vs. :4villager:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmM5QHwIXq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rH3hPSPJZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2yOOuZQ5xU

This guy has been winning all the tournaments held in my city so he is pretty good. Was pleased to actually come close to him in some games and even won once.

@ Firedemon0 Firedemon0 and @ BSP BSP you guys got anything to say about these matches? You critiqued me last time so can you see if there are any improvements? Thanks
I'll cosign everything Pika Kong and Firedemon said and add:

If you're having difficulty charging fruit vs. Villager, place more hydrants. None of Villager's projectiles except the tree will send it flying in one hit, and I know that after a Loid hits the hydrant, you can launch it with one Ftilt. Do that and make him dodge it, buying you even more charge time. Key is worth getting since it'll cut through his stuff and it's harder for him to react to and pocket.

I noticed you doing full hop -> charge BF on a few occasions. Is there a reason why? You can still special cancel BF while in the air, but you're still a lot more vulnerable than if you're charging on the ground. I would stick to the ground.

Side B: I never use Side B unless I'm trying to catch a landing or I read a roll get up, and even then I prefer to just running Usmash. 99% of the time I wouldn't side B into someone that is on the ground unless they're already committed to something that I know I can plow through with super armor. The move is just too unsafe to throw out unless you're pretty certain it's going to hit.

When Villager is balloon tripping, go down there and harass him in some way. He's a sitting duck.

Try not to auto pilot your jab combo. It's something I'm tying to work on myself since jab 3 is easily punishable if it doesn't connect. Condition your self to do jab 1 -> 2 quick enough so that it will still combo on hit, but slow enough so you can stop before jab 3'ing if they don't get hit.

Overall you're getting better. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Try to work on the aerials, because remember that the opponent's most valuable option, shield, is unavailable when they're airborne. Don't go for broke, but you're missing out if you're not trying to hit with Pac Man's aerials. They do pretty good damage too, 10%+ for Nair, Bair, and Uair, plus they're all pretty fast and safe. A well timed and spaced Uair is very difficult for most of the cast to get around, so try to work using it.

I really need to upload more videos. Maybe then you would see the power of the galaxian lol. The galaxian is the best fruit for combos and shield pressure. If the opponent is hit by the galaxian, you can immediately follow with a fair into uair, nair, or another fair, while the galaxian loops around and hits them again. I call it a circle of pain. Also, if the opponent shields the galaxian, that's when you go for a grab because the opponent will either roll or dodge while trying to avoid the second hit.
I'll upload a video tomorrow for a good example.
And this. Don't sleep on the galaxian. While it is a bit tough to connect with because a lot of things will outprioritze it, if you hit an opponent with it right before it shuttle loops and they're around 10%-30% ish, the galaxian will almost always hit them again when it shuttle loops, and once you're familiar with how they're going to fly, you can trace a Side B to that spot, or Bair/Uair for a 30% combo.

@ Funkermonster Funkermonster

For your little Mac match, when the match starts, you can always get away with a trampoline because you're so close to the ledge that Little Mac will probably SD if he tries to Side B you for it.

@6:00 - I'm assuming you were deliberately charging for that Melon. Otherwise, as soon as Mac was above your head, I would've pressured him with SH uairs and then try to up B/tilt/grab his landing, His only response to well spaced Uair is counter or AD, and the former will miss if you space the Uair perfectly. I would recommend prioritizing beating Mac up whenever he is airborne even if you're specifically going for a fruit because it's basically free % for you.

Just in general, if you are close to the ledge, Trampoline is always a viable option against LM because he has to jump over it, and he SD's if he tries to side B to you and you've trampolined close to the ledge. You always have the power to give yourself some breathing room in the MU.

@6:16 - I've been having a lot of success with Dthrow -> up B, because unlike DA, Up B will hit no matter what the opponent does as long as you're on top of them.

@6:19 - personally, I would've gone for the melon recatch here. Z dropping melons everywhere stops Mac from rolling around as liberally as he wants. DA is awful no shield, don't use it that much.

@6:25 - when the SV platform is offstage like that, you can charge to whatever fruit you want and Mac can't respond. Consider doing that.

Right after that, you hydrant. Expect your hydrant to be blown away by Little Mac in less than 2 seconds every time you place it when you're landing.

@6:36 - charging the Dsmash wasn't a bad idea, but I think RAR a Bair would've been better because Mac would've had to respond or die, and if he AD'd through, I think you'd be able to fair or nair him out of or before he Up B's to the ledge.

Don't throw out grab vs LM unless you know you're going to get him. It's too risky. Instead, put up a trampoline and go from there. The only way he can punish you for trampolines near the ledge is if he preemptively rolls toward the ledge you're going to. Remember that up B will also hit blocking opponents if you're on top of them.

@7:32 - see what happened when you trampoline'd? You could charge to whatever fruit you wanted and LM couldn't do anything about it.

@7:42 - jump out there to intercept LM. Either fair or bair will work.

@8:10 - the moment you jump up and bair, he dies. keep doing it.

When Mac is returning from being KO'd, set up a trampoline leaving little space between it and the ledge. He can't do anything to you while he's invincible then.

@8:18 - whenever you're thinking about grabbing, up B instead. I'm serious, trust me. Even if you miss him, if your trampoline is on the ledge, LM can't punish you for retreating to the ledge.

@9:26 - don't do that. Mac could've rolled into you and your grab would've missed, and you would've eaten an Usmash for your stock. Don't try to grab LM unless you are sure it's going to work. The other day, a captain Falcon knew how to expose Pac Man's grab and he kept spotdodging and rolling right through it. Be careful.

@9:42 - that's what I'm saying. Mac tried to jump over, and then retreated because he realized how awful that is for him. Don't follow him back across, make him come to you.

Nutshell:
Stop trying to grab Mac so much
Use Up B more.
Charge Melons and galaxians to cover yourself once the up B runs out
The hydrant + trampoline ledge combo is always an option vs Mac. Consider it.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I'll cosign everything Pika Kong and Firedemon said and add:

If you're having difficulty charging fruit vs. Villager, place more hydrants. None of Villager's projectiles except the tree will send it flying in one hit, and I know that after a Loid hits the hydrant, you can launch it with one Ftilt. Do that and make him dodge it, buying you even more charge time. Key is worth getting since it'll cut through his stuff and it's harder for him to react to and pocket.

I noticed you doing full hop -> charge BF on a few occasions. Is there a reason why? You can still special cancel BF while in the air, but you're still a lot more vulnerable than if you're charging on the ground. I would stick to the ground.

Side B: I never use Side B unless I'm trying to catch a landing or I read a roll get up, and even then I prefer to just running Usmash. 99% of the time I wouldn't side B into someone that is on the ground unless they're already committed to something that I know I can plow through with super armor. The move is just too unsafe to throw out unless you're pretty certain it's going to hit.

When Villager is balloon tripping, go down there and harass him in some way. He's a sitting duck.

Try not to auto pilot your jab combo. It's something I'm tying to work on myself since jab 3 is easily punishable if it doesn't connect. Condition your self to do jab 1 -> 2 quick enough so that it will still combo on hit, but slow enough so you can stop before jab 3'ing if they don't get hit.

Overall you're getting better. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Try to work on the aerials, because remember that the opponent's most valuable option, shield, is unavailable when they're airborne. Don't go for broke, but you're missing out if you're not trying to hit with Pac Man's aerials. They do pretty good damage too, 10%+ for Nair, Bair, and Uair, plus they're all pretty fast and safe. A well timed and spaced Uair is very difficult for most of the cast to get around, so try to work using it.

And this. Don't sleep on the galaxian. While it is a bit tough to connect with because a lot of things will outprioritze it, if you hit an opponent with it right before it shuttle loops and they're around 10%-30% ish, the galaxian will almost always hit them again when it shuttle loops, and once you're familiar with how they're going to fly, you can trace a Side B to that spot, or Bair/Uair for a 30% combo.
Alright thanks, will keep hydrant stuff on board.

I like to use full hop charge because I have found it to be a lot safer than just standing on the ground to charge. I will try and mix it up more and do some grounded and some aerial charging.

I have found it useful to use a short one as a surprise thing, but I need to cut fully charged ones out of my game because I am often punished for it.

Noted, duck. Sitting.

I have found this to be quite punishable actually and something I need to work on. Ive also noticed others doing it and sometimes it can be a free shield grab if you shield all the hits.

Thanks man!

Like I said in the M&Ms thread, I find them very unsafe aerials. I have tried employing them more in my game and whenever I do, I get horribly bodied. I find them as good combo moves but they can be unsafe in a lot of situations and I am often punished for using them.

Cool man, sounds like a solid combo. I also like how it bounces twice on the hydrant and launches it so I gotta bring it into my game.

I have some more games for you to watch. This guy came fourth in the last Perth tourney so I would say is a solid benchmark for me to aim towards. I will order these in recency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lNc0JJBk8A (Oldest, PS Please forgive me for side-bing into that FSmash. I have no idea what I was thinking but every time I see it I scold myself at how idiotic it was).
http://youtu.be/wDQGAqDYB_U (No matter how many times I see that hydrant dashed F Smash it satisfies me. Dunno what happened on last stock, for some reason the game took away my double jump >_>)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYHmqUiOGKM (solid match from me I would say).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uF7xNjwsWc (latest, this is probably one of the best games I have ever put together).

As usual, critique would be appreciated thanks guys :)

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Ok. So, I think creating and maintaining those profiles, with each player's library of videos and critiques is going to be a bit much. Do you guys think there's something else you might like to have in this thread in place of that? I was thinking about adding a list of the best 1v1 videos for each matchup, possibly a best 2-3 videos for each. What do you all think?

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Ok. So, I think creating and maintaining those profiles, with each player's library of videos and critiques is going to be a bit much. Do you guys think there's something else you might like to have in this thread in place of that? I was thinking about adding a list of the best 1v1 videos for each matchup, possibly a best 2-3 videos for each. What do you all think?
I dunno if there are enough videos of Abadango for that…

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
It doesn't need to be. While I am not a pro player. Even with mistakes you still can get a good feel for a matchup from most of the videos.
I was just joking man as he is probably the best (and maybe only) professional Pac player in the world at the moment. I am sure plenty of the videos on here are good enough to fit the bill and help others with strategies and ideas for how to deal with certain matchups.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Welp... as I was saying. Is there something you think would be better? If not, I may just simply leave the OT as it is and maybe discontinue the profiles in the second thread. What do you say to that?

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Welp... as I was saying. Is there something you think would be better? If not, I may just simply leave the OT as it is and maybe discontinue the profiles in the second thread. What do you say to that?
I honestly think thats a good idea voting the top 2 or 3 vids for each MU. It will involve the community of Pac players to analyse just what it was in that particular match that won or lost them the game. It will hopefully mean some aggreeance for our good and bad matchups because in the skype group and on here nobody seems to draw the same conclusions outside of Little Mac good and Rosa bad.

I do think continuing the critiquing is a good idea because it helps people like me focus on aspects of their game that are weaker. Continually updating profiles isnt entirely necessary unless this thread becomes huge, which given the Pac player base, is unlikely.

BSP

Smash Legend
I dunno if there are enough videos of Abadango for that…
For myself, I don't feel like Abadango is still leaps and bounds ahead of me as far as what he's doing with the character. No doubt that he's good and a probably a better player overall, but we can't sell ourselves short either.

I was just joking man as he is probably the best (and maybe only) professional Pac player in the world at the moment. I am sure plenty of the videos on here are good enough to fit the bill and help others with strategies and ideas for how to deal with certain matchups.
I'm not sure how you define pro, but I play in tournaments too. I just can't go to big out of state ones often, and probably not for a while with this upcoming semester.

Eventually some bigger US names should pick him up too. I think his grab is deterring people from seeing all the damage he can do.

I don't have anything in mind really. All I care about are the videos themselves, but the aesthetics are nice. As a suggestion, I would compile all the videos of vs. a certain character together, along with having dates clear. If people want to find specific players, control + F saves the day, and then it's much easier to find matches if you're thinking "hmmm, what do I do vs. X, Y, and Z?" Just thoughts.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Going to casuals tonight and a tourney tomorrow, and I'm most likely gonna keep using Pac-Man again in both, and I'm gonna bring my phone for recording my games. Any last minute pointers ya guys can give me before tomorrow would be awesome. These are the only videos I feel of importance though, since all the others have been covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhFijEhGwfQ&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUI5JntrJw&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNYCcBEaehA&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=5

I technically already got some advice from BSP and Paper Maribro (thanks a bunch btw), but if anyone else can still chime in and provide any extra info for me it'd be most awesome.

Conda

Let me know what you guys think of my video quality and commentary.

More PAC MAN is coming! Joy to the world, he's so fun to watch. I've been playing against and hosting matches with Pac Man players recently.

Here's one:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I don't have anything in mind really. All I care about are the videos themselves, but the aesthetics are nice. As a suggestion, I would compile all the videos of vs. a certain character together, along with having dates clear. If people want to find specific players, control + F saves the day, and then it's much easier to find matches if you're thinking "hmmm, what do I do vs. X, Y, and Z?" Just thoughts.
I think I know what you mean. I removed the spoilers for any videos posted within the current month and placed all of the videos at the bottom, in a quote box so they should be searchable. Next, I think I'll pick 2 or 3 videos for each matchup (if there's more than that) and delete the others from the list at the bottom. I put all older videos for each vs. category in a single spoiler box, so if someone wants to search through the older stuff it won't take much clicking.

I think I was able to maintain a lot of the aesthetics that I originally had, and still made it easier to search through so I'm very happy with the changes I made so far. Thanks for the suggestion. Anything else you think I could do better?

Oh, btw. I removed the "profiles" and placed all of the guide-like videos in their place. I think this also helped to make the search a little easier. Besides, I think that if someone wants to see how they have improved, it would still be pretty easy to do a quick search through these videos or their own videos on YouTube or whatever, so I don't imagine anyone will really mind that feature being gone.

Edit: If anyone wants to create their own profile or video reference, or whatever, feel free. I'll add it to the "other resources" section of the second post. I feel like that might be a fun way to do it. :)

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Another tournament set I had yesterday against a Little Mac. Oddly enough, this wasn't the same player I faced last month, but this set was nearly identical to the set I had last month (which I uploaded earlier): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsPpNHdY5w&index=2&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

- We both used the same color palettes/costumes as last time
- Played on Smashville
- I used a similar gameplan, while trying to do some of what Paper Maribro and BSP told me.
- Also used :4greninja: against his :4dedede:

Lemme know how I did this time.

BSP

Smash Legend
Another tournament set I had yesterday against a Little Mac. Oddly enough, this wasn't the same player I faced last month, but this set was nearly identical to the set I had last month (which I uploaded earlier): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsPpNHdY5w&index=2&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ

- We both used the same color palettes/costumes as last time
- Played on Smashville
- I used a similar gameplan, while trying to do some of what Paper Maribro and BSP told me.
- Also used :4greninja: against his :4dedede:

Lemme know how I did this time.
There we go. Up B at the ledge shuts Mac down.

Believe it or not, it gets better. Every time Mac was on top of you, that was a free up B OOS. Do that against any character on top of you. Remember, grounded opponents can't shield or spotdodge your up B, and their roll will only work if they roll out of your trampoline's range before it gets out.

I would still recommend immediately trying to hit Mac once he makes any attempt to cross your trampoline. Also, don't throw your hydrant down if you're going to land on it, because as you saw, Mac can blow it away and hit you before you can do anything about it.

Overall, great improvement.

Last edited:

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
I think the hydrant is actually pretty useful against Rosalina, in a fairly unconventional way though.

I usually find that she will either try to absorb the hydrant immediately, or ignore it.

But when she uses her Down-B to absorb the hydrant, take that chance to either rush in on her or throw the key, or whatever fruit you have charged up, at her. She can't exactly do much while she's absorbing the whatever. So it's usually a good chance to get close and do some damage.

BSP

Smash Legend
Did anyone have anything to say at all about my Rosalina matches?

Would appreciate some advice on that matchup is it quite hard for us.
I played against my buddy's Rosalina last night online and here's what I started noticing.

Trampoline still throws a wrench into her gameplan. If it's out and she wants to come to you, she has to jump, and even though her aerials have massive range, they are all pretty committal and punishable by you, especially since you know they're coming since she has to jump over your trampoline. If she GPs it, that's a punish if you react quickly enough, or you just do it again.

Rosalina can't camp us at all because we can keep Luma away with the fire hydrant if she sends it after us. I would recommend charging keys if she isn't in your face because even though she has GP, the threat of a key will start affecting her option selections. At 15%, 4 keys will KO Luma, who can't block them.

After watching one of your matches, I would recommend using trampoline more and punishing Rosalina for coming to you. Put a timer on too, because running it will be to Pac Man's advantage sometimes. Don't throw fruit at her when she's not doing anything. That's an easy GP for her and now you've lost your BF.

I think I was able to maintain a lot of the aesthetics that I originally had, and still made it easier to search through so I'm very happy with the changes I made so far. Thanks for the suggestion. Anything else you think I could do better?
I derped. Once you're got them up, you just leave them up so it's moot.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Hey guys. I have a request for you. Could you maybe go check out the list of videos I have under the "Highlights" and tell me which matches are best in some of the more common matchups like Rosaluma? I'll get around to add the last few videos to the OT as soon as I get a few minutes.

I just wanted to bookmark this. I haven't had time to watch it yet for quality control. I hope it's good. :)
Hey guys, I decided to make a video tutorial on some of the more advanced pac-man moves that I don't see too many other pac-man mains using. I hope this video helps you in some way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRGO_aUDclE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
It's good. The only thing it misses is the trampoline + hydrant ledge combo. It completely reminded me of using the hydrant's water to push Z dropped fruit. With melon, that's an amazing cover for an approach.

Edit:

Some matches of Koolaid on wifi (ugh...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyq_SMzStws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzR7oTltzo8

Not going to be too critical because it's wifi, but I'm annoyed that these will get more credence than anything we bring up. Let me record one of my replays against a Falcon I ran into. Trampoline is vital.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It's good. The only thing it misses is the trampoline + hydrant ledge combo. It completely reminded me of using the hydrant's water to push Z dropped fruit. With melon, that's an amazing cover for an approach.

Edit:

Some matches of Koolaid on wifi (ugh...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyq_SMzStws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzR7oTltzo8

Not going to be too critical because it's wifi, but I'm annoyed that these will get more credence than anything we bring up. Let me record one of my replays against a Falcon I ran into. Trampoline is vital.
His pacman is saddening. He uses few of his tools outside of the hydrant.

Top Bottom