• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is my Destiny - MK Video & Critique Thread

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Congrats on 3rd.
Not too much to say to the first set, he obviously didn't know the MU.
Against Arc:
- Replace a few of the f-throws with d-throws and know your techchasing options
- You got to impatient in the neutral game, ran in and got faired/d-tilted out. Vs Marth you really need patience in the neutal if he doesn't commit that much (I think this was the most important part)
- Sometimes you could have lived longer with better DI, but I guess one can post that under every video without having watched it really and it would be true in >95% so yeah...
In LFs:
- Don't know how to describe it, but you just got hit by moves. Most of his neutral game wins could have been shielded easily and giving CF a free neutral game win could be compared to SDing
- I think the problem was you expected attacks to happen earlier and he often delayed them smartly. Better have a chance of not getting the punish but being safe than otherwise

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
GG, good job on winning!
A few things I would have done different:
- Watch that spacing, especially f-tilt, did you realize how often Infinity scooped you with that move
- You did some questionable aerials on shield where I would have delayed the aerial a bit to make it safer on shield or sometimes would have mixed in a tomahawk
- At the end you started "getting hit" without having really lost neutral game before, I know it is really difficult to do sth against it though ^^
- I think a bit more use of down-smash would have helped in a lot of situations

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Beware, janky Metaknight incoming. I started playing Metaknight just yesterday and I'm still feeling out his moveset. I still do a lot of weird stuff because I'm trying to figure things out. Let me know what I'm doing wrong and what you think I could do instead.

http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/546379971
Starts at 17:40

I really want to get good with this character because his taunt cancelling game is top tier

Edit: looks like the video was taken down :(

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzJDk6lTFuo
I've made a few posts in this forum previously. Meta Knight became my primary character in late April, and I used him a decent amount in WiFi this summer and at 3 Smash Fests since school resumed.

Admissions
1. I don't know how to play the character.
2. I have low tech skill; I'm not comfortable with techniques like wavedashing & L-canceling.
3. I've got serious matchup inexperience; I've played against a handful of characters more often than others, but I wouldn't say that I've made major strides in any of those matchups.
4. A little while ago, I was advised to work on my spacing, punishes, and mind games. Mind games aren't something that really enter my mind while playing the game, and I'll need to fix that.

Character fundamentals, tech fundamentals, or general matchup knowledge? Which should be my first focus?
Perhaps I hit a ceiling in "skill" or "character" development because of my attitude or trying to take on too much at once.

Anyways, if there's a crash course on Meta Knight here, could someone post a link? Otherwise, I'd appreciate some critique and a few areas for improvement that I haven't already noted. Thanks.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzJDk6lTFuo
I've made a few posts in this forum previously. Meta Knight became my primary character in late April, and I used him a decent amount in WiFi this summer and at 3 Smash Fests since school resumed.

Admissions
1. I don't know how to play the character.
2. I have low tech skill; I'm not comfortable with techniques like wavedashing & L-canceling.
3. I've got serious matchup inexperience; I've played against a handful of characters more often than others, but I wouldn't say that I've made major strides in any of those matchups.
4. A little while ago, I was advised to work on my spacing, punishes, and mind games. Mind games aren't something that really enter my mind while playing the game, and I'll need to fix that.

Character fundamentals, tech fundamentals, or general matchup knowledge? Which should be my first focus?
Perhaps I hit a ceiling in "skill" or "character" development because of my attitude or trying to take on too much at once.

Anyways, if there's a crash course on Meta Knight here, could someone post a link? Otherwise, I'd appreciate some critique and a few areas for improvement that I haven't already noted. Thanks.
First focus on basic tech skill and then look at your next outstanding weakness. I would start with basic tech skill because if you can't do the action you want, you have a reduced option pool which has the same effect as playing a bad matchup (all the time). After that watch videos of P:M in general because an intuition and some kind of inner pattern database helps in decision-making and even in making your own learning process more efficient.
There are several posts claiming to be guides of which most are helpful at your current level.
Don't underestimate how much it helps to learn systematic ways of getting better. If you manage to identify your weaknesses when rewatching the game, after the game or at best as you play, you will save very much practice time that you can invest in tech skill practice and analysis of specific "hard" situations/matchups.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman

My baby Metaknight. Been playing him for a little less then a week at this time really love the character and just wanting to improve lmk what you guys think. Any help is good help.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Lol storm eagle remix. Nice.

Kirby is a unique MU. Both characters don't really have to commit very hard, so it becomes difficult to actually catch kirby in a bad situation.

That being said, you need to L cancel/shffl better. You can be way faster with ur sh nairs/fairs.

Also, dash dance more. If your dashing forward into kirby without a guaranteed punish, try wave dashing back and waiting in dash dance to see if he commits.

Use more dtilt. If he doesn't CC, it leads into nasty upair/nair/bair stuff, and it generally really good tool to poke/keep him out.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet

My baby Metaknight. Been playing him for a little less then a week at this time really love the character and just wanting to improve lmk what you guys think. Any help is good help.
Lol I just switched to maining Meta Knight about a month ago! MM when I get back in town.

But I usually DD a ton with MK. It's a lot safer than standing still, and you can bait out an attack if done carefully. Dash cancelling into smashes are also more difficult to outspace than standing ones.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Lol I just switched to maining Meta Knight about a month ago! MM when I get back in town.

But I usually DD a ton with MK. It's a lot safer than standing still, and you can bait out an attack if done carefully. Dash cancelling into smashes are also more difficult to outspace than standing ones.
you got it man...but yeah I still main Samus but MK is more of a good secondary to help with my harder matchups with her like PK Kids, Sonic, and Mewtwo (kinda) They got pretty good synergy too and trust me my MK is much better now then what that video shows lol.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Would appreciate feedback on this set. Lost to this Link main.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvC15G4l5IE&index=61&list=WL

I also continue to lose to a sonic main, wish I had vids but general advice would be nice.
Lol I was in the background there. I was the guy in the blue shirt :D

Anyway, I can't really say you did anything wrong. Good tech chases, when you got in 90% of the time you stayed in, which is very important vs any projectile character with MK. The Skyworld counter-pick was perfect, that's one of my favorite stages for MK and it really throws some people off thanks to its just awkwardness. Also, when you decided to go out for an edgeguard it almost always went well for you.

Despite that, you seem to suffer a little bit from the same issues I do. Really should work on movement some more, MK's dash dance is amazing and while it may be short his wavedash is incredibly useful to bait out attacks and instantly punish. Also off-ledge options, you do the same thing as I do f-air off ledge a lot and by that 3rd game he recognized it and started punishing.

Nonetheless, I think you played well. It is a little harder match up then most (I'd say more like 60/40 Links favor) but you handled it the way I would have. Hope to see you around NC more, maybe get some MK dittos :)

Sadface

Smash Apprentice
Lol I was in the background there. I was the guy in the blue shirt :D

Really should work on movement some more, MK's dash dance is amazing and while it may be short his wavedash is incredibly useful to bait out attacks and instantly punish.
I actually do DD a lot with mk its just that I am afraid of getting hit by a bomb or a boomerang and dying off of a hit confirm. Its characters like link with heavy projectiles that stump my DD game or like sonic that invalidate normal dash dance attempts that give me trouble since the neutral game is so wierd. Against sonic all I know to do is dash away and nair if he spin dashed at me, or ftilt/dtilt it if I can react in time. Projectiles give me a task of playing their game and weaving around it is fair enough but also trying to play around grabs and his long sword range that combos me is difficult.

Fair off ledge seems just fine as well. I feel like I need to get more aggressive in my offstage game even on stages like smashville/ps2 etc. Also I realized due to DSR he shouldn't have been able to take me to SV game 3 but oh well, live and learn.

Mk dittos sounds good. I'm going to fayettnam this saturday and stuff n such this sunday, maybye ill see you there.

Last edited:

Espi

Smash Journeyman
So here is one of my sets. Me and Breez are 1-1 in set count now. I kinda threw away the first game. I think i just played bad in this set imo, but no johns. So.... tell me stuff

Espi :metaknight: Vs Breez :metaknight:

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Imma try to see if I can get some videos posted between now and Sunday :)

BPx

Smash Lord
Top Bottom