• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Viability?

Pete278

Smash Lord
Guys, I have a question that needs a serious (alas) answer: is Olimar viable in a metagame filled with Metaknights? I'd love to play the little slavedriver, but is Mk:Olimar 70:30 hard or 70:30 impossible?

RichBrown

Smash Master
It's winnable, but it's really, really hard, because 1 tiny mistake against an MK could cost you a stock, while a mistake made by an MK won't hurt him much. So it's possible to outplay an MK and still lose. Pretty stressful.

You can still win though

Noa.

Smash Master
Trust me, everyone's making the matchup sound harder than it is.

If you're better than you opponent, you should be fine. It's a hard matchup to learn though. And you have to play very well. But these guys are overexaggerating it a tad bit.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Rereading my post, I did make it sound a little dramatic, but that stress factor is still there.

I didn't mention though that the other thing I like about Olimar is that he can always bring it back too. There's been numerous times when I've been down in a match and then I'll get a good lineup and nail a 60%+ combo. I did that at Genesis against this snake, it was game 2 and I was up 1-0, and I was on my last stock around 80-90, he was at 0. I latched 2 white pikmin on his back, and he couldn't get them off.... 78%. I went on to win that match XD

asob4

Smash Champion
basically you only need to watch out for the top MKs, like m2k, tyrant, dsf, etc etc
otherwise it shouldn't be too hard

when i played, MKs would just camp with dairs -_-

Pete278

Smash Lord
So, Olimar is a fine character to main? Awesome. I'm fairly bad with him at the moment, but I'll get some videos up from my next tournament for you guys to critique the **** out of. :p

Mith8

Smash Cadet
He is a great character to main. not hard to learn, and has alot of nice tricks up his sleeve. Also, scrubs under estimate him dramtically. Get a nice line up, and you can beat almost anyone your level.

AuraMaster

Smash Rookie
What I do is I threw the Pikmin at MK and I do a ton of grabs on him. When MK tries to get the pikmin off I go up to MK and grab him and I do combos on him.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I us3d to have impossible metaknights. then I just took a real hard look at their character amdm now i win somtimes. What I do is see when they make bad spacings i punish it then combo

Noa.

Smash Master
Olimar is cool.

And a post earlier in this thread; scrubs tend to overrate Olimar. They overrate him a lot. Smart players are really the problem.

Top Bottom