• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Hey, yall know about this? When edgeguarding as Villager, bowling balls and turnips spikes or nair/slingshot gimping (we have a lot of options) are the way to go, but we have another super awesome option.

Ya all know you can slow gyroid down when riding him by holding back, right? Good.

Well when you get most characters off-stage, use that and aim for the ledge. Now your just covering the ledge with a super strong hitbox. All they can really do now is...go around you? Only a few can do that! Lucario, ROB, another Villager. Lots and lots of characters have to go for the ledge, so...this is a super strong option, try it sometime!

Anything to add to our arsenal of edgeguarding tools is a plus for me! This is what I call advancing the meta, and I love it!

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
So I made a chart for the MU's and broken up version is in the spoiler so it'll be easy to put in the OP of the MU thread
But can we post this at the end and the advice for the matchups be in the beginning (Ex: what the Peach forums are doing, but we'll also have the charts at the end)? By posting advice in the beginning it kind of gives the vibe of, skill takes precedence over a supposed Bad MU. I feel like newcomers will look at the chart really quick and be like oh Villager loses to so and so with 40:60?? I guess its just an unfair matchup and may even use it to complain about characters.

To me its always 50:50 until proven otherwise. And no matchup should ever be greater than 40:60. edit

I did change like 3 numbers b/c I saw them in the MU thread and believe that there wouldn't be a lot of disagreement (but yah I could definately be wrong with the 3 I changed)

Edit: Changed to Sonsa's Suggestion
Edit 2: also if we are using Lucina boards as an example. Citing them is in order?
Edit 3: @Indigo Jeans just in case you are busy with other threads and haven't been able to stop by yet

|:4bowser:|:4bowserjr:|:4falcon:|:4charizard:|:4darkpit:|:4dedede:|:4diddy:|:4dk:|:4drmario:|:4duckhunt:|:4falco:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | 45:55 | ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??|??:??

|:4fox:|:4ganondorf:|:4gaw:|:4greninja:|:4myfriends:|:4jigglypuff:|:4kirby:|:4littlemac:|:4link:|:4lucario:|:4lucas:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??|??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??

|:4lucina:|:4luigi:|:4mario:|:4marth:|:4megaman:|:4metaknight:|:4mewtwo:|:4miibrawl:|:4miigun:|:4miisword:|:4ness:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??|??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??

|:4olimar:|:4palutena:|:4pacman:|:4peach:|:4pikachu:|:4pit:|:4rob:|:4robinm:|:rosalina:|:4samus:|:4sheik:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??|??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | 40:60

|:4shulk:|:4sonic:|:4tlink:|:4villager:|:4wario:|:4wiifit:|:4yoshi:|:4zelda:|:4zss:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | 45:55|??:??| ??:??

[ table=head]
|:4bowser:|:4bowserjr:|:4falcon:|:4charizard:|:4darkpit:|:4dedede:|:4diddy:|:4dk:|:4drmario:|:4duckhunt:|:4falco:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | 45:55 | ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??|??:??
[ /table]

[ table=head]
|:4fox:|:4ganondorf:|:4gaw:|:4greninja:|:4myfriends:|:4jigglypuff:|:4kirby:|:4littlemac:|:4link:|:4lucario:|:4lucas:
[ /table]

[ table=head]
|:4lucina:|:4luigi:|:4mario:|:4marth:|:4megaman:|:4metaknight:|:4mewtwo:|:4miibrawl:|:4miigun:|:4miisword:|:4ness:
[ /table]

[ table=head]
|:4olimar:|:4palutena:|:4pacman:|:4peach:|:4pikachu:|:4pit:|:4rob:|:4robinm:|:rosalina:|:4samus:|:4sheik:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??|??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | 40:60
[ /table]

[ table=head]
|:4shulk:|:4sonic:|:4tlink:|:4villager:|:4wario:|:4wiifit:|:4yoshi:|:4zelda:|:4zss:
:4villager:| ??:?? | ??:?? | ??:??| ??:??| ??:?? | ??:?? | 45:55|??:??| ??:??
[ /table]

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Holy fishsticks!!!!
That looks amazing! Very nice, thanks a million!

EDIT: I'd hope there would be some kind of way we can link to the posts that talk about the specific MUs so people have more to go on than numbers, but that can easily be done via spoilers in the OP and weekly updates. Basically lets copy the Lucina MU thread, those guys know whats up

I'd like to discuss more MUs but for now we should revise and then reach a general agreement on the MUs we've already discussed and then have that data added to the chart, so I get right now we're backtracking a bit?

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Thanks a bunch! Though, some matchups might exceed 40:60 or the other way around, but we should always discuss till we can agree on something. And the Lucina matchup thread is a perfect model to follow, a nice chart with links to explainations and discussions. Also I see some threads use ?:? instead of 50:50 until proven otherwise, which might be better as newcomers could get confused and just believe the matchup to be even.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a bunch! Though, some matchups might exceed 40:60 or the other way around, but we should always discuss till we can agree on something. And the Lucina matchup thread is a perfect model to follow, a nice chart with links to explainations and discussions. Also I see some threads use ?:? instead of 50:50 until proven otherwise, which might be better as newcomers could get confused and just believe the matchup to be even.
I see your point. This better?

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Awesome chart! Thank you for taking the initiative to make this for us. One thing I want to say: Some MUs are definitely worse than 60:40. If both characters use all their tools optimally(as far as we know), then some characters just outright beat others by a lot. I think Villager vs Megaman is an example of a 65:35 MU. Although we can pocket most of his stuff, none of it is useful except for fsmash. So what do Megaman players have to do? Not use fsmash. They can win perfectly fine without it. Our tree is useless because metal blades go through and crash bombs blow it up. Megaman's keep away game is just faster than ours, being able to throw out more projectiles than we can, and having a more reliable approaching tool, his pellets. I don't think any MUs should go past 65:35 yet, but as the meta progresses, some MUs will become more doable while others become less.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This doesn't really belong to the video thread, so I guess it can go here. @ Mtn64 Mtn64 mentioned about using Villager's Watering Can way back and well... It gimps Falco('s Fast Fire Bird if he doesn't face the ledge and sweet-spot it)...

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Awesome chart! Thank you for taking the initiative to make this for us. One thing I want to say: Some MUs are definitely worse than 60:40. If both characters use all their tools optimally(as far as we know), then some characters just outright beat others by a lot. I think Villager vs Megaman is an example of a 65:35 MU. Although we can pocket most of his stuff, none of it is useful except for fsmash. So what do Megaman players have to do? Not use fsmash. They can win perfectly fine without it. Our tree is useless because metal blades go through and crash bombs blow it up. Megaman's keep away game is just faster than ours, being able to throw out more projectiles than we can, and having a more reliable approaching tool, his pellets. I don't think any MUs should go past 65:35 yet, but as the meta progresses, some MUs will become more doable while others become less.
I guess its just how my friends and I view it. Will cross it out from my post x)

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
Any advice for dealing with overly defensive players? I was using Villager against a Captain Falcon player and he just stood there, waiting for me to approach. When I would get close, he'd roll away, and when I started punishing that with dash attacks he began shielding. When I responded by grabbing he started spot dodging, jabbing and jumping. I got plenty of damage on him but landing the kill was tricky and really annoying. Never thought this would be a problem against Captain Falcon, but I guess everyone plays their own way :/

Last edited:

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
Hey, yall know about this? When edgeguarding as Villager, bowling balls and turnips spikes or nair/slingshot gimping (we have a lot of options) are the way to go, but we have another super awesome option.

Ya all know you can slow gyroid down when riding him by holding back, right? Good.

Well when you get most characters off-stage, use that and aim for the ledge. Now your just covering the ledge with a super strong hitbox. All they can really do now is...go around you? Only a few can do that! Lucario, ROB, another Villager. Lots and lots of characters have to go for the ledge, so...this is a super strong option, try it sometime!

I will definitely try this out next time I'm in an edgeguarding situation. It seems pretty viable considering the lloid can be slowed to a complete halt and stay still for quite a long time. Never thought of doing this before, thanks for suggesting it!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Any advice for dealing with overly defensive players? I was using Villager against a Captain Falcon player and he just stood there, waiting for me to approach. When I would get close, he'd roll away, and when I started punishing that with dash attacks he began shielding. When I responded by grabbing he started spot dodging, jabbing and jumping. I got plenty of damage on him but landing the kill was tricky and really annoying. Never thought this would be a problem against Captain Falcon, but I guess everyone plays their own way :/
Yuck, sounds annoying. Well hey, Falcon's got no projectiles or anything so he's the one that needs to approach! You can just wait around, planting trees, practicing the one chop, pocketing the lil wood chips, launching gyroids and slingshots his way, Villager can be plenty defensive too. I love being aggressive, but sometimes it is better to stay near a ledge or your tree instead of hurling yourself at the opponent.
If you're really bored and gatta go in, I'd bring a gyroid for coverage, try to read the roll with a smash attack, or maybe read a jump with a slingshot. Down tilt's deceptive range might help too. Good luck!

MJG

Smash Hero
Very creative sonsa. Yea in regards to playing against defensive players, it depends on the tools of said character. Falcon has no projectiles and it was already stated earlier but he'll lose that battle and you'll eventually take the lead back if he refuses to come in and punish when the opportunity arises.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd post my silhouettes in the social threads!

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
Very creative sonsa. Yea in regards to playing against defensive players, it depends on the tools of said character. Falcon has no projectiles and it was already stated earlier but he'll lose that battle and you'll eventually take the lead back if he refuses to come in and punish when the opportunity arises.
Yeah...he had already lost his first stock and was near 100%. He had gotten me to my second stock and was trying to time me out...pretty lame. I did approach with lloid rockets and planted trees so I could kill him with the axe. That was eventually how I killed him, but it was still very annoying.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So perfect. The eyes were creepy in a way with the smile and now it's creepy in a new way. A cute way!

FantasyFling (Slime)

Smash Rookie
NNID
FantasyFling
Hey Guys! Im an OK Villager But i have a question? when i play online VIllager feels heavy? is it cause of input lag or just bad connection or what? i mean the slingshots are harder to hit people with. Also if any Villager expert wanna play me and to give me some tips! message me :D:D

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hey Guys! Im an OK Villager But i have a question? when i play online VIllager feels heavy? is it cause of input lag or just bad connection or what? i mean the slingshots are harder to hit people with. Also if any Villager expert wanna play me and to give me some tips! message me :D:D
It's probably the lag messing with your inputs

FantasyFling (Slime)

Smash Rookie
NNID
FantasyFling
Ok thanks! also wanna play me sometime like today or another day? if your an expert villager i could use some tips :D

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Why can't I find a good fanart of Yellow number 6 Villager? I feel like my current profile pic is a bit too disturbing.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Oh hey, I can draw you something!
Gimme a minute...
EDIT
i dont really like it but here you go! you dont have to use it if you dont wanna

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I don't expect anyone to set it to their profile pic or anything but I was and am super bored so I drew the yellow Villager even though he really isn't one of my favs. His dopey face isn't as cute or creepy as the others, but he's still dandy I guess. Unique eyes for sure.
villager 6.jpg

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I don't expect anyone to set it to their profile pic or anything but I was and am super bored so I drew the yellow Villager even though he really isn't one of my favs. His dopey face isn't as cute or creepy as the others, but he's still dandy I guess. Unique eyes for sure.
View attachment 46796
It's...GORGEOUS!!!!!!
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
Too bad Rugby Shirt is my one true Villy

Oh man taking pictures and uploading them here is so fun!

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
View attachment 46796
My new temporary avatar.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
My new temporary avatar.
Pwssh, seriously? Alright, enjoy haha
It's...GORGEOUS!!!!!!
:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
Too bad Rugby Shirt is my one true Villy
Oh man taking pictures and uploading them here is so fun!
Really? Heh, thanks. Well hey, I'm still bored and Rugby Villager is my 2nd fave and go-to for Villy dittos as to avoid confusion. If ya want go ahead and suggest a scenario and I can give it a shot. I already drew her dropping a bowling ball on Meta Knight once with her great stare. And hey, drawing is fun! Want me to suggest somethin to ya too?

Top Bottom