• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vets and First-timers

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Something occurred to me just the other day. Whenever someone says something along the lines of '...But as usual, Sonic's priority/kill moves/knockback/voice actor makes this a problematic matchup...', the poster is usually someone who's been here for a year or more.

Alternatively, whenever I see someone praising Sonic as a good character (rare...sigh...), it's usually someone who's been here less than a month.

The obvious conclusion? Noobs don't know jack.

But I thought about it a little more, and I recalled a little discussion near to the release date. It was about control schemes. Basically, someone had some strange idea that the wiichuck scheme made it easier to play Sonic. I thought the same thing you're thinking; Yeah, right. But it's been bugging me for some reason.

So then I remembered one important thing: People always say that Sonic is all about mindgames. And the weirdest idea occured to me...

Do people that are new to smash bros. use a different kind of thinking than Melee vets? If you start out with the Wiimote in hand, do you have a different perception about it than those that use the GC controller? Are we missing something?

Probably not. But just to put my curiosity to sleep, I'd like to ask you to tell me this: Is Brawl your first smash game? Do you use the Wiimote? Did you ever use the gamecube controller? Did you ever play melee? And most importantly, do you see it as effective for Sonic?

And one last little thing: Whenever a bit ofr irrefutable Sonic-bashing by some ******* Marth main (Not you, Frosty.) gets me down, I just remember this. Gimpy played Bowser in melee. And people fear him.

Take that, Teirlist devils.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I am a Vet...ever since SSB64
I can play both controller setups to some extent.
I play a better Sonic with the GC controller.
My two cents on the matter.

Oh and I don't let tiers affect my decisions on Mains. Sure I did main Falco in melee, but that was since Day 1.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol voice actor

To entertain your statements a bit...

I've played SSB since the 64, though casually. I think what sets apart the newer players from the older ones, especially people whose first SSB game is Brawl, is that they start with a fresh slate. Not so much in the Sonic section (since he's a new character) as in the Falcon/Ganon section, but the vet competitive players tended to complain the most about slowdowns, nerfs, lag, and overall crappiness (eg: read earlier Ganondorf posts and compare them with the videos at the time- how many Ganondorfs were spamming shorthopped Fairs? No wonder they complained about how much he sucked; while the new Ganondorf players naturally avoided the move anyway)

About control schemes, I started off with wii-chuck and Ike. It seems that with the lack of c-stick, wii-chuck players rely alot less on things like stutter step or anything not obviously programmed 'for' the game. atm I can play Ike with either GC controller or wiichuck (now custom control), but for Sonic and Ganondorf, I prefer GCc because of ease to do spindash combo or shorthopped d-air(dorf). If anything, I shield slower with the GCc since I'm used to being able to control shield size instead of having it pressed all the way in.

Sonic plays differently from the Melee characters, and that's a given. As such, people who are used to playing Melee style don't immediately take to playing like Sonic (eg, double jump before forward B), while someone who picks Sonic immediately as his main could probably play more naturally with Sonic than any other character.

I think the biggest (and most realistic) reason why newer players say Sonic is good is this:

They haven't played Sonic against a 'good' player on a different character.

There's no memory of what a SSBM Marth could do, heck, they might not even know what a Marth is capable of, so it's not like they're mentally playing through the situation of what happens if they try to spindash Marth.

Your obvious conclusion is probably the most correct one :p

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
-Is Brawl your first smash game?
No, 64.

-Do you use the Wiimote?
Nooo I hate it. I use it SOMETIMES for the coin launcher, stage builder and quick stuff like going through the menus (just the Wiimote, not the nunchuck). I mean it's comfortable for CERTAIN things.

-Did you ever use the gamecube controller?
Always.

-Did you ever play melee?
Of course.

-And most importantly, do you see it as effective for Sonic?
I dislike Sonic, nuff said.

Boxob

Smash Champion
64. Competitive since Melee. I always use the GC controller. Game cube controller is definitely better for Sonic.

pirateguru

Smash Apprentice
brawl is m first smash game. I actually prefer the classic controller over everything but probably the only reason is because my roommates treat their gc controllers as if they were sacred. I always though sonic sucked compared to other characters. He still ended up my number one and I've enjoyed my time with him.

kreechure

Smash Rookie
Been smashin since 64

-Do you use the Wiimote?
Yes I have no idea why, but it feels so much more comfortable to me than my gamecube controller did.

I've tried to, but i grew fond of the Wiichuck scheme

Of course.

tbh since it's all i use i see it as effective for everyone. i mapped the down directional button on my d-pad to jump so i can slide my finger from down to a to make shorthopping easier. But It's all a matter of preference imo since my brother uses a 'cube controller, uses the same characters i do, can get the same results as any of the characters I play and i'd say we're equally skilled.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Heh, no worries because I main Sonic anyway.

I've tried Sonic out on the wii-chuck setup and it does have it's advantages such as being able to reach multiple buttons at once. Most people button mash better with their index finger so spin charging is easier.

It's a bit sloppy on the aerials and smashes with shake smash on. They come out faster because you don't have to move from your jump button to the c-stick, but it's unresponsive at times and will smash in the other direction if you pull back too much. Probably something to get used to.

Circio

Smash Cadet
I've been playing casually since the 64 version.

-Do you use the Wiimote?
Yes. I use the Wiimote more than the gamecube controller.

Of course. I played all of melee with the gamecube controller and I have played brawl using the gamecube controller as well.

Probably more than I should...

I really don't think the controller scheme has much to do with how effective Sonic is. It's more of a matter of what the player using him is most comfortable with.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Hell no.

-Do you use the Wiimote?
Tried it, it was alright, but not quite as good as...

This sexy little thing. I'd marry the GC controller. With customizable controls, life just got better.

Competitively for almost 3 years. Placed 4th at almost every tournament in CO, 2nd in UT, 2nd in NM, 5th in NM, and 64th at OC3 (...sigh...)

Not particularly. As a tournament director, using the wiimotes in general bothers me, because of how slow syncing up to a wii is, and how problematic it is when you're still synced and don't realize it. I think the controls are a little inaccurate for how precise Sonic needs to be.

Top Bottom