• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very frustrated with the lack of female versions of The Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I’ll be honest here. I messed up a little here.

I do understand the frustration.

I intended to post this in the Social thread, as an innocent observation in comparison to the rest of the roster.

I have no idea how I ended up here, since I’ve been trying to avoid this thread.
Because I posted it here, upon reading it again, I realize how out of touch what I wrote might seem, trust me, I didn’t mean to sound like I’m belittleing the issue (word?).

I too would have preferred 4 female alts as opposed to 4 color swaps any day of the week.

I apologize. I feel so embarrassed now. :s
Don’t worry.
We all can make mistakes, and it’s fine as long as we improve thanks to them.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Why is everything about gender, race, and politics nowadays? This is a time for fans to celebrate that their series were included into this amazing game, and yet we are upset because a certain gender didn't get represented in a game? I really miss simple times when all there was to worry about was whether the game was going to play good and have a good story. Now everyone is worrying about a characters skin color, gender, sexuality of fictional characters. There is no agenda behind Nintendo's or Square Enix decision for not have female ult. I'm sure Sakurai wasn't at a meeting hard set on not including female alts for the DQ's Hero. Whatever reason it was I can say with confidence had nothing to do with DQ's Hero having a female counterpart. Congrats to the DQ fans who waited patiently and finally got there series represented.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Not gonna lie, took me a while to figure out Luminary was a man.

Which got me thinking. Hero is a very generic name. And their designs could be considered ambiguous to an extent (mostly Luminary and Solo) . Erdrick is by far the most masculine of them, the one who has a female version, but I've never seen this female version. So I gotta ask, does choosing female actually change his design in the original? Maybe they'll purposely avoid using gender pronouns, let them be whatever you think? Even some of the voice clips sound ambiguous

as you can probably tell, I know nothing about Dragon Quest, sorry if this theory really doesn't work

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Which got me thinking. Hero is a very generic name. And their designs could be considered ambiguous to an extent (mostly Luminary and Solo) . Erdrick is by far the most masculine of them, the one who has a female version, but I've never seen this female version. So I gotta ask, does choosing female actually change his design in the original? Maybe they'll purposely avoid using gender pronouns, let them be whatever you think? Even some of the voice clips sound ambiguous

as you can probably tell, I know nothing about Dragon Quest, sorry if this theory really doesn't work
They are different looking people wearing the same clothes, at least for DQ3 hero.
Female DQ4 hero dresses different altogether and her only similarities with her male counterpart are her headband and color scheme.

Also, pretending they're unisex wouldn't even work considering they all have very clearly masculine voices.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
And that is where Kazooie comes in. The main female that the majority has been begging for was a bird all along. Crazy to think about.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Why is everything about gender, race, and politics nowadays? This is a time for fans to celebrate that their series were included into this amazing game, and yet we are upset because a certain gender didn't get represented in a game? I really miss simple times when all there was to worry about was whether the game was going to play good and have a good story. Now everyone is worrying about a characters skin color, gender, sexuality of fictional characters. There is no agenda behind Nintendo's or Square Enix decision for not have female ult. I'm sure Sakurai wasn't at a meeting hard set on not including female alts for the DQ's Hero. Whatever reason it was I can say with confidence had nothing to do with DQ's Hero having a female counterpart. Congrats to the DQ fans who waited patiently and finally got there series represented.
You are the only person to have brought up politics. I have no idea what you're talking about. For a lot of fans the main appearance of the character they wanted in Smash isn't even there for them, why would that not be upsetting?

There was never a time where people didn't care about representation, I'm just going to go out on a limb and say it's something you've probably just never had to worry about and I don't know how gameplay or story factors into the discussion.

Folt

Smash Ace

Female Erdrick looks distinctly similiar to the male version, but only at first glance. It becomes very apparent that they look different after a second or so.

You are the only person to have brought up politics. I have no idea what you're talking about. For a lot of fans the main appearance of the character they wanted in Smash isn't even there for them, why would that not be upsetting?

There was never a time where people didn't care about representation, I'm just going to go out on a limb and say it's something you've probably just never had to worry about and I don't know how gameplay or story factors into the discussion.
I don't think there's as many fans that care if Erdrick is male or female compared to fans who care about what he can bring to the table as a fighter.

And I have to say, I did not expect the Hero to be the MP-resource fighter with multiple spells of the Smash roster, but I'm happy for it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Personally, i think they should have given us the female versuon of 4 over the male, if they only wanted to have 4 heroes.

Dq4_Heroine.jpg

I know the male is super popular, but the female has a cool design, would look very different from the other swordmen characters, and give fans a heroine. Plus this would probably give the female variant a huge surge of popularity to make her as popular as the male

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who else has 3 different character alts, and a palette swap referencing yet another hero for each one!?
Hmm... I think Hero is the first to do this. 4 characters. 2 recolors per character.

:ultvillager::ultvillagerf:
2 genders
4 recolors per gender

:ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf:
2 different characters
4 recolors per character

:ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm:
2 genders
4 recolors per gender

:ultrobin::ultrobinf:
2 genders
4 recolors per gender

:ultolimar::ultalph:
2 different characters
4 recolors per character

:ultcorrin::ultcorrinf:
2 genders
4 recolors per gender

:ultinkling::ultinklingboy:
2 genders
4 recolors per gender

:ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:
8 different characters
0 recolors

D

Deleted member

You got this thread wrong.

It’s not really about politics, but rather about dream pick for alts not being in.

Think of this dissapointment as the one Shadow supporters got after months of expecting him as an echo fighter lock.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Personally, i think they should have given us the female versuon of 4 over the male, if they only wanted to have 4 heroes.
She's actually more popular than the male version. I've seen a lot of japanese tweets saying they wanted to play as the female version.
She's still shown in later dragon quest stuff too.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
She's actually more popular than the male version. I've seen a lot of japanese tweets saying they wanted to play as the female version.
She's still shown in later dragon quest stuff too.
If she is more popular, why didnt sakurao go with her? Could square have said something?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If she is more popular, why didnt sakurao go with her? Could square have said something?
That's what's weird. It could be square but i think they did give a render for her, from what was shared, so i dont know.
Considering they went with all male characters for the final smash, I think it's either they decided to just go all male, or they're holding onto more skins or something that we dont know. It'd be sad if they just decided to cut her but keep the male version in (solo), since he's not necessarily one of the more popular heroes. But in any case I just want sakurai to explain the character in more detail, which he's supposed to do before release. (said in a tweet)

zferolie

Smash Hero
That's what's weird. It could be square but i think they did give a render for her, from what was shared, so i dont know.
Considering they went with all male characters for the final smash, I think it's either they decided to just go all male, or they're holding onto more skins or something that we dont know. It'd be sad if they just decided to cut her but keep the male version in (solo), since he's not necessarily one of the more popular heroes. But in any case I just want sakurai to explain the character in more detail, which he's supposed to do before release. (said in a tweet)
If he brings up the reasons behind the character choices, that would be nice. Would also be nice for a surprise female version. I mean i think we didnt know about female villager and male wii fit trainer right away, and the female robin was thrown in after the actual trailer.

Though, we have seen all the alt colors... but, there was that mecha ridley and yarn yoshi shown but not in the game till later(meaning earlier demos had those characters but not those skins) so maybe we could get a surprise female alt or 2. Sadly i dont want to get my hopes up.

I am also hesitant to expect an echo of hero as heroine to just be announced layer(again, not impossible) really we only have 3 heroes with female alts, erdrick, solo, and 9. Solo is customizable but they could just go with the default female. X has one too but... hesitant to include them as you only play as that for like 10 minutes.

So if they did an echo, we would probably only get 3, and each getting an extra color, but 2 would get 1 more then the third to hit 8 outfits, which i feel could be unfair.

Unless they just give us a heroine based on the builder design as the forth, but that may be... odd. Fun but odd

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If he brings up the reasons behind the character choices, that would be nice. Would also be nice for a surprise female version. I mean i think we didnt know about female villager and male wii fit trainer right away, and the female robin was thrown in after the actual trailer.

Though, we have seen all the alt colors... but, there was that mecha ridley and yarn yoshi shown but not in the game till later(meaning earlier demos had those characters but not those skins) so maybe we could get a surprise female alt or 2. Sadly i dont want to get my hopes up.

I am also hesitant to expect an echo of hero as heroine to just be announced layer(again, not impossible) really we only have 3 heroes with female alts, erdrick, solo, and 9. Solo is customizable but they could just go with the default female. X has one too but... hesitant to include them as you only play as that for like 10 minutes.

So if they did an echo, we would probably only get 3, and each getting an extra color, but 2 would get 1 more then the third to hit 8 outfits, which i feel could be unfair.

Unless they just give us a heroine based on the builder design as the forth, but that may be... odd. Fun but odd
I have some ideas for how a new costume or two could be put in pretty easily, as well as some other ideas. And there are enough heroines for there to be 5 different ones. (i'd just want two, really)
But I dont want to get into it because some people debate everything (instead of just being open to it) and i dont feel like it.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I have some ideas for how a new costume or two could be put in pretty easily, as well as some other ideas. And there are enough heroines for there to be 5 different ones. (i'd just want two, really)
But I dont want to get into it because some people debate everything (instead of just being open to it) and i dont feel like it.
Hey, im interested to hear it. Curious what 2 other heroines you thought of

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I was actually quite disappointed with this as well. I am not normally the "We NeEd To RePrEsEnT eVeRyOnE" type of person, but I was very disappointed in the lack of female variants. I had a few who were looking forward to it. :/

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey, im interested to hear it. Curious what 2 other heroines you thought of
Anlucia is very popular in japan and has been talked about quite a bit. And then 9 and 10 both have gender variants. And the male versions are in the final smash right now.

Well there's actually much more than 5 if we go off the main series There's Aurora and Teresa..

And an extra one is the new Dragon Quest Walk character, whose design I really like too:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Anlucia is very popular in japan and has been talked about quite a bit. And then 9 and 10 both have gender options. And the male versions are in the final smash right now.

Well there's actually much more than 5 if we go off the main series There's Aurora and Teresa..

An extra one is the new Dragon Quest Walk character, whose design I really like too:

Anlucia... i am blanking on who she is. Builder girl has a name or someone else. Yeah i agree with 9, but i didnt see 10 in the final smash unless i missed it.

Walk girl is cute but could she be too new? I am blanking on other spin off female heroines though

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anlucia... i am blanking on who she is. Builder girl has a name or someone else. Yeah i agree with 9, but i didnt see 10 in the final smash unless i missed it.

Walk girl is cute but could she be too new? I am blanking on other spin off female heroines though
Just search for dragon quest and the names i mentioned in google images and you should see them.

The builder characters couldn't be in because they're shorter and typically seen with hammers (and are just way different with moves and all that)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Anlucia was also mentioned in previous leaks involving Erdrick, it was said that there would be male and female Erdrick, Luminary, and Anlucia as the 4 base models and presumbly they would each get recolors, which would have been much more appealing to get 4 male and 4 female alts.

D

Deleted member

I think that Sakurai could release echo fighters based on Fighter Pass picks.

Why? Because so far the picks outside of Banjo happen to be related with characters from their series with echo fighter potential (Kasumi for Joker and the DQ female heroines for the Hero). If we do get picks like Crash, Leon or Dante, this would make the idea of Sakurai releasing echos based on each pretty reasonable.

And indeed, there are female heroines who are way more popular than their male counterparts, Kasumi could work as a P5R promotion and picks like Coco Bandicoot or Nero are popular on their respective fandoms.

I would keep an eye in the future, because it is possible that Sakurai may be hiding some surprises for us.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Most characters don't have alt versions, but for the one's that canonically have genderswaps in their main games (Wii Fit Trainer, Inkling, Robin, Corrin, Pokemon Trainer, and Villager) every other character has had their alternate genderswap palette available.
Female DQ characters were by far the most likely female DLC characters (that fight on their own), and theoretically the easiest to add in and now we can't even have that.
Not even sharing the sentiment from this forum, but I do want to say, if you think female DQ characters were the most likely, you are very far from correct.
We have KOS-MOS, Jill Valentine, Amaterasu, Morrigan, and Velvet Crowe as very solid and very likely candidates.
No need to make the situation seem so dark.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Not even sharing the sentiment from this forum, but I do want to say, if you think female DQ characters were the most likely, you are very far from correct.
We have KOS-MOS, Jill Valentine, Amaterasu, Morrigan, and Velvet Crowe as very solid and very likely candidates.
I would have loved every single one of those characters, but none of them were seen as likely compared to DQ characters, which most of the fanbase saw as a guarantee due to how every single leaker was talking about them. Female alts were also mentioned in almost all the leaks, so yes they were the most likely. That doesn't mean they were my most anticipated female characters to get in, mind you.
More likely =/= More wanted

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just search for dragon quest and the names i mentioned in google images and you should see them.

The builder characters couldn't be in because they're shorter and typically seen with hammers (and are just way different with moves and all that)
I see she is from dragon quest 10, but the wiki says nothing about her. I guess she is important though.
Anlucia was also mentioned in previous leaks involving Erdrick, it was said that there would be male and female Erdrick, Luminary, and Anlucia as the 4 base models and presumbly they would each get recolors, which would have been much more appealing to get 4 male and 4 female alts.
Yeah i remember hearing that rumor. Its funny they got the 4 different characters right but not who it was. Interesting... was that rumor right about anything else? Was that the joker rumor? Maybe this could be tied to a surprise echo with the females, erdrick, 4, 9, and 10. I wonder if they would basically be exact echos like daisy to peach or just slight echos like slightly fast or something like marth to lucina

zferolie zferolie

Oh, and this is the final smash:

heroes from left to right: 5, 10, 7, 1, 6, 9, 2
Ah i see him now. Yeah missed him. Then yeah female alt could work then for the echo for sure.

D

Deleted member

By that logic, we should tell Shadow supporters to give up since we may be getting Eggman or Tails as the next Sonic rep...

...And that doesn't work that way.

If someone supports a character, it is because they want that one in particular more than other picks with a similar style.

This case is not about representation, it's about picks we were hoping to see and found likely which sadly didn't happen.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I see she is from dragon quest 10, but the wiki says nothing about her. I guess she is important though.

Yeah i remember hearing that rumor. Its funny they got the 4 different characters right but not who it was. Interesting... was that rumor right about anything else? Was that the joker rumor? Maybe this could be tied to a surprise echo with the females, erdrick, 4, 9, and 10. I wonder if they would basically be exact echos like daisy to peach or just slight echos like slightly fast or something like marth to lucina

Ah i see him now. Yeah missed him. Then yeah female alt could work then for the echo for sure.
There isn't much on anlucia on english sites. But she has quite a following in japanese ones enough.

I think that Sakurai could release echo fighters based on Fighter Pass picks.

Why? Because so far the picks outside of Banjo happen to be related with characters from their series with echo fighter potential (Kasumi for Joker and the DQ female heroines for the Hero). If we do get picks like Crash, Leon or Dante, this would make the idea of Sakurai releasing echos based on each pretty reasonable.

And indeed, there are female heroines who are way more popular than their male counterparts, Kasumi could work as a P5R promotion and picks like Coco Bandicoot or Nero are popular on their respective fandoms.

I would keep an eye in the future, because it is possible that Sakurai may be hiding some surprises for us.
Like I was saying, there's much easier answers or solutions than an echo character. but of course an echo for heroines would be amazing.
We just need to be open and see what sakurai shows and tells us. (hopefully)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am hoping to see some females as dlc, as there are a lot of great female video game leads. Lets add Shantae, Reimu, Lara croft, and 2B to that, though the last i feel is too new and still not on a nintendo system.

D

Deleted member

Ignoring dream female picks based on personal taste like Coco Bandicoot or Mach Rider I would love to see Kasumi, a DQ Heroine echo fighter, Jill Valentine and Elma.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I honestly don't care for a character's gender to get in Smash, since to me their importance to history, how much classicism they incorporate, and who they actually are, are all much more important to me.
But if you really are so desperate for a female character in the DLC, you really shouldn't count out some of the candidates I mentioned. And no, relying on quesitonable leakers isn't evidence for a character to be in and has no influence in the likelihood of someone.
I honestly saw Jill and Morrigan as much more likely than femdrick and others.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ignoring dream female picks based on personal taste like Coco Bandicoot or Mach Rider I would love to see Kasumi, a DQ Heroine echo fighter, Jill Valentine and Elma.
If crash is in, coco would be a great alt... man, what if one of those future season for crash team racing... is mario, and they announce that the same time as crash is announced for smash.

Jill i think is the best rep if we get a resident evil rep. She was the main hero of the first game, and still big on the series, despite leon or chris getting more playable love recently. Still loved playing her in mvc2.

I have a ton of first party females i want like hikari and donbe, medusa, mach rider, and dixie kong, but i am not expectimg and 1st partys this first dlc pack

I honestly don't care for a character's gender to get in Smash, since to me their importance to history, how much classicism they incorporate, and who they actually are, are all much more important to me.
But if you really are so desperate for a female character in the DLC, you really shouldn't count out some of the candidates I mentioned. And no, relying on quesitonable leakers isn't evidence for a character to be in and has no influence in the likelihood of someone.
I honestly saw Jill and Morrigan as much more likely than femdrick and others.
I think jill has a great shot, morrigan i would live but... capcom seems to want to ignore dark stalkers.

There is also Mai from SNK. Thats a big name female fighter thats quite famous too

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If crash is in, coco would be a great alt... man, what if one of those future season for crash team racing... is mario, and they announce that the same time as crash is announced for smash.

Jill i think is the best rep if we get a resident evil rep. She was the main hero of the first game, and still big on the series, despite leon or chris getting more playable love recently. Still l9ved playing her in mvc2.

I have a ton of first party females i want like hikari and donbe, medusa, mach rider, and dixie kong, but i am not expectimg and 1st partys this first dlc pack
Lol, I also main Jill in MvC2 alongside Gambit and Dr.Doom.

My dream first party picks are easily Adeleine and Mach Rider. Pauline would be a pipe dream.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's a pretty disappointing decision. It makes me wonder if there will be any female characters on the Fighters Pass. Jill Valentine feels like the best bet.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Lol, I also main Jill in MvC2 alongside Gambit and Dr.Doom.

My dream first party picks are easily Adeleine and Mach Rider. Pauline would be a pipe dream.
I used tron bonne, felicia, then alternated between jill and psylocke and son son

It's a pretty disappointing decision. It makes me wonder if there will be any female characters on the Fighters Pass. Jill Valentine feels like the best bet.
I think jill is a good chance, but i feel we will get a girl even of its not her. Ill never gove up on shantae or reimu myself. Me and my crazy indie love

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
4 more anime sword boys, they couldnt give us any females with these guys? Have there been any DQ female protags? I've only played dragon warrior 3 lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
4 more anime sword boys, they couldnt give us any females with these guys? Have there been any DQ female protags? I've only played dragon warrior 3 lol
Yes two of the 4 specifically are known to have female versions since their original games. And there's others too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My fear is to find myself on this exact scenario regarding Coco Bandicoot.

After the bless of getting my man Eight as an alt, I find the idea of Coco as a Crash alt highly likely... And I would be dissapointed if that wasn't the case.

She is my favourite character from the main games, and my second favourite on the spin-offs behind N-Trance. Having her in Smash would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom