• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vericz's PT--Tourney vids and singles vids!!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Charizard sure is a decent character to use. It may be a bit slow, but it sure strikes quicker than Bowser.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I thin zard alone > ike...sure he doesn't' Ko from 50%...but he has a much better recovery and flamethrower >>>>>> ike's explosion in just about everything and their speeds are similar.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I love Charizard.

His dash speed combined with his grab range makes tech chasing effective and fun, and they gave him amazing tilts for zoning, combined with great aerials and an awesome jab. He's heavy, he never dies. In a while people will start to realize that they only like Squirtle because he's easier to use.

vericz

Smash Champion
He's good, but I like using all 3 of the pokemon the same, but yes i get very happy when Charizards up to bat.
I like using all 3 as well but why switch when I can 3 stock people with charizard alone!! Like I said I have gotten a few up-b kills (fly i think) when characters like fox are at 50%. I'll get some vids up later today, Right now I just have 2

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I like using all 3 as well but why switch when I can 3 stock people with charizard alone!! Like I said I have gotten a few up-b kills (fly i think) when characters like fox are at 50%. I'll get some vids up later today, Right now I just have 2
Most people have already done that...no need to post vids lol.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Most people have already done that...no need to post vids lol.
If he says he is really good with Char than I have no idle why theres no need to post the vids to show us. I love Char, he is the most reliable pokemon I have with PT (Ivy is a close 2nd and Squirt is. . . Im trying to get more comfy in the air with him.) but I still have problems killing with him without becoming someones sand bag for a well.

Brawl is now in melee's place. . . we need good vids to learn (or copy. . ) from:p

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
Yeah, why wouldn't he post some vids? I'd like to see a good Charizard. He's ignored in a lot of the videos I've seen.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
My involvement with Charizard mostly depends on what type of match, who I'm playing and what kinda stage. In Time I end up using him in the last 45 seconds or so. I dont like using him Larger stages and against smaller character in one on one battles. However in Larger stages and Free for alls he is king

vericz

Smash Champion
sorry about no vids today, had work and just got home. But i have a tournament tomorrow that is sure to record vids so ill record the saved films i have as well as tourney matches and post them up. It won't all be charizard, got to add some variety.

And yes, rock smash is a nice approach. People get really messed up with the hitbox after charizard breaks the rock and it leads to a grab afterward.

Versatile818

Smash Rookie
Quick, someone give me some tips on KOing with Fly. I suck with it and rarely use it offensively. It looks like such a cool move like Rock Smash, and I'd love to take advantage of it. >_>

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Versatile: Charizards fly is great as an aerial KO, it has super armor frames throughout almost the whole move, so its uninteruptable.

My staple use of it is to get an opponent up into the air, whether its upsmash, uptilt, or rocksmash etc. and then use charizards three jumps to hang around, lining up an attack, or baiting an airdodge, then punish with Fly, it's most important that you hit them with the end of the move, which contains the KO hit.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I've finally learned to love Charizard, thanks to Card's guide. Like him, I also thought of Charizard as the least reliable but he really is full of power. The only thing is, I wish he was heavier. I'm really not seeing the tankish side of him at all. ._. I always switch him in when Ivysaur is around 110-120 %, maybe that's why...

vericz

Smash Champion
And Bair of course.
Yes, bair is a great move not only for edgeguarding but for pushing them out, it has lots of knockback. Also with the fly, be sure to bait the airdodge first, if you miss you will be punished easy cause charizard falls so slow. Tourney host will be uploading vids within the next few days

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
rock smash is great. you'd think charizard would get major headaches after constantly bashing his head into huge chunks of rock XD

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the range if it is really deceptive. I love catching people off guarding. Making it seem like I missed or something only for them to go flying.

vericz

Smash Champion
vericz where are your vids
I didnt record the tourney host did, he has the vids but ill link you to the tourney page. I got second in doubles with my friend zoro who uses toon link. PT is difficult in doubles. We only lost to a snake/meta team.

I got 7th in singles, lost to snake(the guy from doubles, sooo good) and then kirby. Vs the kirby my rocksmash hit a shyguy =/ right in front of kirby who was at 150+ so he was spared lol.

Results= http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4129543&postcount=163

Thread=http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=147564&page=5

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
PT players... please lets not forget the beauty that is charizard tilts. I love is air moves just as much as the next PT main... but his tilts are where i get the KO's against my friends. His Dtilt is crazy good for getting KO's and is quick to boot. forward tilt gets them when they are just out of range of the dtilt and has crazy knockback. Utilt is a personal preference choice when you don't want to do the up smash.

I also play all three though... with Ivy being my best and squirtle and charizard kinda on equal playing field.

vericz

Smash Champion
PT players... please lets not forget the beauty that is charizard tilts. I love is air moves just as much as the next PT main... but his tilts are where i get the KO's against my friends. His Dtilt is crazy good for getting KO's and is quick to boot. forward tilt gets them when they are just out of range of the dtilt and has crazy knockback. Utilt is a personal preference choice when you don't want to do the up smash.

I also play all three though... with Ivy being my best and squirtle and charizard kinda on equal playing field.
Yep, tru

I use all 3 as well, I just always start as charizard cause i believe he is the best choice. Other players may have different preferences though. And Ivy is sooooo hard to use vs kirby its crazy. I have a bunch of 1v1s that will be up soon.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Point to the character in the portrait (when you choose PT, the bottom will show all 3) and press A.

vericz, you definitely have a bad habit of spamming rock smash which has made you lose a ton with Charizard. When you started using grabs and jabs, it was almost like rock smash was given a second life. But I am impressed nonetheless. I have a question though, is flamethrower that bad of a move? I think in a lot of situations you could have used flamethrower instead of rocksmash, I was wondering why you preferred rock smash.

Oh and lol on shorthopped Ivysaur Dair. Not being mean or anything, but I don't think I have seen anything as useless as that. I also suggest withdraw with squirtle when you want to recover as you are invulnerable (except when someone hops on you) and you fall pretty quick (I only saw it on one or two videos, maybe you already figured out how to recover better).

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
Thank you all for these tips, guys, I always felt I performed the worst with Charizard. I always do amazing with Squirtle and Ivysaur, but when it comes down to Charizard the change in speed always threw me off. Also, Charizard's big claim to fame is that he's a survivor, but for some reason I always get KO'd once I get Charizard. >_>

So, any general tips to help out with everybody's favorite Fire/Flying type? I know he has the potential to be a killer, I just don't know how to harness it well.

Noob question too: What's a shorthop? Is it just barely jumping in order to use an air move?

infernovia

Smash Ace
Shorthop is when you let go of the jump button in the crouching animation (that moment on the ground before you get to the air) which halves the jump height. Mainly used to diversify approaches. So essentially, I think you got the idea. In the video, rocksmashed is almost always shorthopped.

I recommend Card's Guide before you ask for help as it usually answers a lot of things. PopeOfChilliTown has a more focused guide on Ivysaur and Charizard. As a general advice, and something you don't see in these videos, try to use his tilts as they come out pretty fast and are very useful. Dtilt comes out super fast and can be cancelled to jabs. I think it overshadows the ftilt, but Ftilt can sweetspot.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I love all 3 of the pokes so much...aw...I think I'm in love.

But first, after watching these vids I must say... "you want some of me? ROCK SMASH!"

Top Bottom