• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vectorman's Roy! (Advice please!)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Disclaimer: I know, I know, there's a video thread for this, but it hasn't been viewed in like 2-3 months, and I REALLY need the communities/boards help on this one... I'm undergoing, a project similar with when I made my transformation to becoming a Yoshi main...

Anyway been playing Roy for about a month now, Just showing my progress... I REALLY wanna push him into a calibur character of mine similar with my Yoshi.. I've high hopes in my Roy, and I want to add him to a serious part of my repertoire...

Eventually, I wanna take him to tournament, and hopefully, make something out of him, and shock a few faces... I'm not saying i'll be able to do it right away... but I believe I can do it... I believed in my Yoshi, I will believe in my Roy as well and make a realistic goal for myself..n_n

Anyway love you guys.. Help me out please..! and enjoy! All comments are welcomed/appreciated

Vs Marth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M9S1SLnj8
Vs Falco/Fox - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41COdIJ-wyo

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear from you all! n_n

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Ok only had time to watch vs Marth:
Edgeguarding, so far the dtilt thing seems to be not bad, but it's possible to just sweetspot fsmash him over his upb hitbox, I've never met a marth who can sweetspot the edge around it with proper timing. Just a suggestion, you're not doing terribly at edgeguarding, it looks like you just need more of a feel for this part vs marth.

Aerial neutral b is your farthest sending aerial, it is more useful than nair when you've got someone near the edge you want to push off. Nair is much better for combos.

You can combo tipper dair into fsmash even vs marth, it would have given you a kill you worked hard for otherwise.

If and when you use the 4th hit of DED, I recommend up for the most part. It shield pokes most characters and is just as good as over. Down is good too when they're CCing or not at high enough % to kill. The over 4th hit is basically worthless, up does just as well and is more likely to hit, (I don't think I've ever hit because of over's extra side range.

Dthrow->fsmash is great when they DI wrong. It won't work often against people who play Roy a lot, but it's very good for damage and stage control.

Very good for the most part, but it's because you're a good player. These are just Roy specific tricks you could benefit from that I noticed watching the first vid.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Wow, you are like one of the best Roy's I've seen. I'm so glad you have picked Roy Vman <3 Always happy to see good players repping him.

I don't have much advice to give, only thing I would recomend vs Marth would be not to go for combos because it's so easily for Marth to break away and combo you instead. Roy's all about baiting and most of his "combos" are 2 hit so against MArth play very safe, like you would play against Luigi, hit him like 2-3 times and try to bait/counter his "combo breakers" (=fair)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
For marth; at low-mid percents, you can mix him up with down/forward throw. If He DIs away from you and you dthrow him, you can fsmash/regrab him. If he DIs towards you and you fthrow him, you can regrab/DED him. Get in their head and you can do a good deal of damage.

Roy can take advantage of the slant on Yoshi's Story almost as well as marth can. If you dthrow marth off the ledge and he doesn't DI at all, you can still catch him with fsmash thanks to the angle.

Fsmash may be slow, but its a great kill move. Anytime your opponent hits around 90%, you should be looking for a chance to fsmash. Tipped dair combos into it well, as does fair. Anytime you get a dash dance grab, you could pivot fsmash instead and just take a kill.

For the spacies; The chain grab on FD is ****. You can take them from 20% to around 80% depending on where they DI, and still combo afterwards. Against marth, the spacies can DI just to his back and then shine him out of the regrab, but that doesn't work against Roy; he can just turn around, grab, and continue the chain grab. Learn it. Love it. And then have every space animal ban FD against you forever. :colorful:

Upsmash can reach opponents on platforms, and if you charge it a bit it'll often stab through shields. Its especially useful on Fountain; if the platform is a bit lower, you can combo into fsmash/another upsmash.

DED >>> is pretty easy to crouch cancel. Even if they don't crouch cancel the first >, they can often still crouch cancel the second > and shield before the third swing comes out. If you think they're going to try that, use DED >^> instead. If they don't CC the first swing, the second will pull them off of the ground, and they'll often spin right in front of you, leaving them wide open for the third killer swipe.

Thats all I can think of for now. Good luck!

Aar

Smash Cadet
VMAN I love how you are trying to use roy. You seem to have put alot of effort into him, but you need to master the pivot fsmash and where is your dair lol.... i want to see so much dair!

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Congrats on picking up the most passionate character on the melee roster. You've got a great hold on him.
try mixing up shield pressure though. Every time you get shield grabbed it's because of the sword dance.

POKE POKE POKE!!!! and what Aar said. . . DAIR!!!

Aar

Smash Cadet
dude im telling its like just now i got a tripple dair juggle all towards the left facing my back. As far as I see it dair is like 16 different moves in one lol his tip allows lots of pokes and control. BEST MOVE second is pivot fsmash just learn it and do it. its hard though i won't lie, but once you get it roy is cake to beat kids with a stick lol...trust me

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Vman, you learned how to Parry with Yoshi, learn how to meteor with Roy's Dair. :D

D

Deleted member

your roy looks great overall but i think you shouldbe wary of side B third hit up. it seems to get you grabbed a lot. axe is playing this match wrong, since marth's game should essentially be crouch > grab > upthrow and upthrow WRECKS roy and he didn't use it at all. if your side b is setting you up to get grabbed, you should do something else. I think just replace the third hit with over. it's less flashy but more reliable and will lead to easy edge guards often.

against fox/falco/falcon, do over > up >over for side B, it works MUCH better. also try dthrow > turn around > dtilt, it catches people that don't DI and tech in place and is a great trap in general.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Sorry for the late response!!! wow, MANY replies thank you everyone for replying... I'm going to reread all these comments and do some MAJOR training today...

Got a Roy goal similar w/Yoshi, and I wanna make it happen..

Thanks everyone for all the input ^^

As always you guys are awesome ^^

Eljin

Smash Ace
MOW <3 I miss u where's Cape <3 I miss u 2 nd p.s. I play Roy second Doc nd Ganon Third C.F. Yea I still gogt some skill Max> LETS HOOK UP SOON!!! I HAVE a CAR! nd Vman... Nice Roy dude< do the trap that Umbreon suggested nd the u-throws Sethlon suggested against FF. vs The floaty fairy Martha start poking once with DED nd grab, rinse nd repeat. keep DED pressure on him so once u see him DI'ing up u got a couple options shieldgrab dash out re-poke with DED or dash dance in nd out nd grab. other than that SOLID my man!!!

D

Deleted member

MOW <3 I miss u where's Cape <3 I miss u 2 nd p.s. I play Roy second Doc nd Ganon Third C.F. Yea I still gogt some skill Max> LETS HOOK UP SOON!!! I HAVE a CAR! nd Vman... Nice Roy dude< do the trap that Umbreon suggested nd the u-throws Sethlon suggested against FF. vs The floaty fairy Martha start poking once with DED nd grab, rinse nd repeat. keep DED pressure on him so once u see him DI'ing up u got a couple options shieldgrab dash out re-poke with DED or dash dance in nd out nd grab. other than that SOLID my man!!!
my nigro eljin, **** yeah.

i moved to DC.

catch me on aim when you get the chance and we can catch up.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Definitely one of the better Roy's I've watched. I feel like D-tilt > N-air was a little over-done and could have been mixed in with other aerials after 120%, but other than that very nice indeed :)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
r there going to be more videos? I am interested in seeing what v3ctorman can do with roy. I want AZ low tiers to amaze me again.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^haha, thanks man, yeah don't worry, i'm secretly in the works with him... :p at the same time.. I'm tryna keep and maintain the Yoshi representation that i've built... so keeping both chars at the top of my game.. is a bit more difficult than I had planned....

More videos indeed will be coming soon... I just want to get a good variety of players... for everyone to judge off of, ^^ I've high hopes for Roy, and i've full confidence in him just like my yoshi ^^

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
good to hear u r still repping yoshi. Also cool to hear u r still working on your roy. Ive tried to play more then one character at a time and I could never pull it off to tough, but other can and I am sure you will be able to have both a amazing yoshi and a awesome roy. gl

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Usually when I hit with U-air and L-cancel, I try to juggle with more U-airs. Haven't really used U-tilt a lot.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I don't use the c-stick, so FF'ing my u-air is really hard. I've pulled it off before while c-sticking, but in an actual fight I always forget about it. It's the one thing I've been practicing lately, c-stick shffl'ing.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
good luck vman

meanwhile i'm trying to evolve young link :)

i'd really like to play you, axe, and taj someday. i've always been pretty good vs low tier characters but you guys seem to be on the next level!

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I don't use the c-stick, so FF'ing my u-air is really hard. I've pulled it off before while c-sticking, but in an actual fight I always forget about it. It's the one thing I've been practicing lately, c-stick shffl'ing.
I've done it without C-sticking...like once. I don't think it's really worth learning, though.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'll have some Roy videos coming along...very shortly, hope you all can enjoy/critique etc.. ^^

^Hey Sir Yungsta... Umm, nah, Taj's Mewtwo is the boss Mewtwo, mine is just based off alot of his, I'm one of the best Mewtwo players, I'd hope, my M2's pretty good... but nowhere near Taj's status... then again..

What Mewtwo is near Taj's level... ^^ I could make a run for 2nd best M2 perhaps though.... Got a lil combo video named "future sight" but otherwise... nothin really... Taj has given me some praise tho ^^

I play Yoshi/M2/Roy, and soon GnW after Im finished with Roy most likely.

SirYungsta

Smash Rookie
I'll have some Roy videos coming along...very shortly, hope you all can enjoy/critique etc.. ^^

^Hey Sir Yungsta... Umm, nah, Taj's Mewtwo is the boss Mewtwo, mine is just based off alot of his, I'm one of the best Mewtwo players, I'd hope, my M2's pretty good... but nowhere near Taj's status... then again..

What Mewtwo is near Taj's level... ^^ I could make a run for 2nd best M2 perhaps though.... Got a lil combo video named "future sight" but otherwise... nothin really... Taj has given me some praise tho ^^

I mean besides Taj. Taj doesn't even gotta be mentioned. anyone who plays mewtwo knows him. :p. And Was thinking of maining GnW. Not really My kinda character. WAY to light.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace

Lol Vman sounds like a pimp with Melee chars

G&W is ridiculously fun if you do well. Mainly the reason I dropped Roy for him XD

I thin Vman realized that Roy's something-on-stage is limited with his airdodge suicides in the beginning lol

Also, d-tilt to f-air to d-tilt repeat works better than d-tilt n-air at higher percents on FF'ers

and I think there's something better than jab to stop close spacie pressure at lower percents since it has pretty long lag, but I'm not sure what.

But spaced d-tilt to jab is reasonably safe

jumping out and counter = funnest edgeguard

Oh and I swear to god u-air u-tilt works... Like the first couple of seconds in the Roy vs Marth one, with u-air u-tilt you can get under them and start ******

BY THE WAY has anyone found out a way to cancel after the third hit of side b third hit up into a jab reset?

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
afaik, there is no way you're going to get a jab reset after DED spike. I like to follow the DED spike with techchasing into fsmash or more DED.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
afaik, there is no way you're going to get a jab reset after DED spike. I like to follow the DED spike with techchasing into fsmash or more DED.
Yeah I have yet to find a button combination that will do that (thinking something similar to a gentleman)

If there is a way then it could possibly become the first Roy exclusive adv tech O_o

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
there is a roy exclusive AT. it's called no offstage game. it's where you automatically die if you try to go offstage.

but seriously, the only one I know of isn't very useful. afaik, i discovered it. it's where you dash attack the edge, and then turn the other direction. you'll pivot and drop onto the edge after the dash attack.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
there is a roy exclusive AT. it's called no offstage game. it's where you automatically die if you try to go offstage.

but seriously, the only one I know of isn't very useful. afaik, i discovered it. it's where you dash attack the edge, and then turn the other direction. you'll pivot and drop onto the edge after the dash attack.
LOL.

Puffs and such actually have to try and edgeguard. For the most part, we can just hold down one button.

If you were Marth I think if you hit with the middle part of your blade and then LH d-air it might link? I dunno how fast it pivot drops you

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
allrite speaking of which... A lil late, but here we go ^^; Lemme know what you think, going on my 3rd month of Roy and absolutely lovin it ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANRagFE5nak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEn0LbuAVq0 - Last vids of Yoshi, till my Roy's ready ^^;
LOL 1:58

I'm liking this video a lot more than the previous ones. It looks like Vman actually plays/trains Roy with the u-air, jab, throws and how he knows that side-B beats all of Falcon's approaches.

Still very liberal about n-airs though, I dunno if he should be using them that much... IMO it's really not as good of a move as it seems (and compared to Marth).

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Turns out I have time now, lol.

Against Falcon, if you throw them off the ledge at low percent, odds are they going to double jump sweetspot the ledge. The only thing that roy has that actually hits below the stage is aerial flareblade, which is a bit too slow to set up in this situation. IMO its better to just wave-grab the ledge and cash in a free dtilt combo/grab set up once they upB back onto the stage. (When I would have done this)

2:38 was sexy.

Short hop nair as an approach is pretty unsafe, I wouldn't recommend it.

At high percents on fast fallers, if you dthrow and they DI poorly, you can fsmash them. Its a nice kill set up they don't often see coming. (And what I would have done here)

At high percents (100+) you can do dtilt -> full hop flareblade...it pushes them out farther than all of roy's other options. Won't kill, but it forces them to recover, which can net you kills. (I would have done this here)

Keep up the good work!

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Short hop nair as an approach is pretty unsafe, I wouldn't recommend it.
All of this guy's advice is useful from personal experience. Especially the above quote.

It looks like Marth's and sounds like Marth's but it's a lot worse than Marth's and not good for approaching.

Roy's SHFFL approach sucks in general I think, cause all of his moves don't have enough knockback or hitstun to be less punishable. This is why I find MU's like Marth and Sheik hard cause they can punish bad approaches so well. I think my favourite approach if I had to choose one would be *spaced* d-tilt to jab. As offence I usually DD and WD until I get an opening to d-tilt jab (as a test), grab, or side-B.

Fullhop flare blade... I'll have to try that at +100% sometime.

Aar

Smash Cadet
All of this guy's advice is useful from personal experience. Especially the above quote.

It looks like Marth's and sounds like Marth's but it's a lot worse than Marth's and not good for approaching.

Roy's SHFFL approach sucks in general I think, cause all of his moves don't have enough knockback or hitstun to be less punishable. This is why I find MU's like Marth and Sheik hard cause they can punish bad approaches so well. I think my favourite approach if I had to choose one would be *spaced* d-tilt to jab. As offence I usually DD and WD until I get an opening to d-tilt jab (as a test), grab, or side-B.

Fullhop flare blade... I'll have to try that at +100% sometime.
good for tech chase and if they fail the tech then its great and if you do the poke of death which is one stroke the first stroke and then l cancel to fsmash or w/e idgaf and back wards off the edge can be useful but not like dair

Aar

Smash Cadet
im dissapointed in all of you. where are the dair combos because im telling you it can combo in all direction not just down. and not only that but it goes like 360 around him not just like 180 like marth. roy is the best... im a bit rusty now but since winters coming i am going to show you guys my trick and how theyr used. i dont think u guys really see roy as wat he is. A totally different character than everyone else.

Top Bottom