• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vanilla Aura Mechanic vs. Super Meter Mechanic Discussion

Zoa

Smash Ace
Just...what. I'm confused more than ever, though I get the 4/20 reference. I swear it's like I'm under the influence because now I'm more confused.

Edit: Is it weird I'm playing Bioshock at the same time?

Edit: This is legendary. I need a picture to immortalize this.

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
Just...what. I'm confused more than ever, though I get the 4/20 reference. I swear it's like I'm under the influence because now I'm more confused.

Edit: Is it weird I'm playing Bioshock at the same time?
At this point I would make a new account or only communicate via editing your posts. Having any more messages would be sacrilege.

Thor

Smash Champion
You have to consider if going for that risky option is worth it, much like using meter in Street Fighter when you're very far behind in a round. If you want to take the chance to win, or have more resources for the next round.
Street Fighter doesn't make characters that are intentionally mediocre and become pretty good [but still not the best] when they have meter (I think... or at least, I've played it some and watched a little and I've never heard of that type of character). If Project M wants that kind of character, they really should make him pretty good each stock in my opinion, and then if you screw up, you have to make do with what you've got, rather than causing one error in judgment to leave you with a few i-frames to try to get back into the game.

If you were to tell me that Lucario was hands-down the best character in the game with meter on him, and actually convinced me of that, fine I guess, but I don't think that's the case. As a result, I don't think keep Lucario from having any meter when he respawns is a good idea. And in my opinion, it was risky enough that you get one shot to use the meter you earned from the respawn platform, and if you fail, you now have zero point zero meter anyway.

P.S: I've had this discussion elsewhere and it's never been resolved, so if you'd rather just drop it, we can - I think it's an ideological difference, and not one that can simply be sorted out by discussion. If you'd like to prove me wrong, by all means, but I've said my part about thinking we'll go nowhere.

And for the record, does this mean people here would rather Lucario start with zero meter, because one is supposed to earn it?

Zoa

Smash Ace
I am one of those who definitely think you should start with zero meter because the whole point is to reward skill. Of course there needs to be compensation a bit to make Lucario's neutral a tad better. I swear I'll parrot this until the final version, or if it happens before:

Make aura a REWARD. Do NOT force a dependence on it with limited uses to approach. Most aura charges go towards DT and ES already because they give Lucario much needed options. Lucario desperately needs a better option to force commitments out of the opponent. Please revert a FCAS to its Brawl travel speed and distance. Increase the charge time if necessary. It'll benefit Lucario in the long run because he relies a lot on ASC as it is.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So... is there a PM-compatible Aura-enabling PSA, and how far along have they figured out making BrawlEX work with PM?

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Sorry for the double-post, but I think I've figured out how to rationally explain how I feel about this in a way you'll understand.

How I feel about Canon Lucario -> PM Lucario is how you guys felt about Melee Falco -> Brawl Falco; he didn't feel like Falco at all anymore, did he? Because his core aspects were removed in that game and swapped out with something that his existing mains found far inferior.

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double-post, but I think I've figured out how to rationally explain how I feel about this in a way you'll understand.

How I feel about Canon Lucario -> PM Lucario is how you guys felt about Melee -> Brawl; it didn't feel like fun at all anymore, did it? Because the fun aspects were removed in that game and swapped out with something far inferior.
Yes.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yeah, the transition from Melee -> Brawl as a game was rough in general. I can switch between PM , SSF2, and SSB4 just fine, but jumping back and forth between Melee and Brawl when they were relevant was impossible because they're such radical polar opposites.

I brought up Falco specifically because he was the one character that was altered the most between the two games. Not only were his competitive traits removed, such as his focus on combos, but his animations and attacks were radically changed on all levels. His mains in particular would have felt especially violated.

And that's how I feel about the changes made to Lucario. I find him a much more enjoyable, unique, and natural character in 4 than he is in PM; I can't shake the suspicion that he was changed out of sheer petty hatred for his fans.

Last edited:

Risky

Smash Ace
And that's how I feel about the changes made to Lucario. I find him a much more enjoyable, unique, and natural character in 4 than he is in PM; I can't shake the suspicion that he was changed out of sheer petty hatred for his fans.
I doubt the PMDT has the time on their hands to spite fans of a character by remaking it and giving him his own unique mechanic.

Thor

Smash Champion
I doubt the PMDT has the time on their hands to spite fans of a character by remaking it and giving him his own unique mechanic.
He was changed because "fighting" type and also lives forever because "steel" type, but I don't know if this was a pet idea that gained traction or if they genuinely felt they couldn't make a Brawl-style Lucario work in PM [the way they were able to make a Brawl-style Ike work with a few tweaks].

Top Bottom