• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah__Tourney of Fate 11 Canceled (check op for link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
O I am, thats why I linked this so that people can see for themselfs. Dryu came up to us three times saying it was wrong then showed me that link that told me to do what I was doing...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
^^^Where I totally gave you back Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice :D^^^
Yeah, thanks.
I should go and replay 3 and 4 after the semester's over.

Anyways... just curious but whats the Ankoku link btw? Just curious...
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954
I love how Luigi's in B rank. :laugh:

P.S. Minato, you shouldn't post anymore... you've reached 1,337 status :D
I just read that after posting my 1,338th post at the Light House threads...

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
O I am, thats why I linked this so that people can see for themselfs. Dryu came up to us three times saying it was wrong then showed me that link that told me to do what I was doing...
Btw, don't forget that there's also a variation where for every matchup, the higher seed is always on top (it puts seed #2 at the very top of the 2nd half). Every path is exactly the same, but it still confuses some people.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Hokay. So I already made a thread in the Stage Discussion solely for answering to the travesty that is Skyworld being banned. Har Har.

But in all seriousness... According to our panel members why did "we" decide that it is banned? If possible, I would like to have specific reasons rather than "I hate it." "It sucks." "Worst map EVVAR!!!!". I'm still having problems understanding why.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
When we are picking stages, not one person has said anything like that. Last time we took a vote if if Skyworld should be banned it was 6/0 for CP, but everyone of us talked about some reasoning as to why the stage should be that way.

I know that Dryu did give you a reason as to why RF is staying banned "Its to much playing against the stage, and not enough playing against your opponent." Not only that, but we play with the rules that that SBR has created and the only real changes that we make are to the Starter/CP, and CP/Banned Rummble has always been in the Banned group, and now Skyworld has changed from from the CP/banned to the Banned section.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Actually, the vote was 5 to 0, not 6 to 0, since FTS didn't know about the stage that well, so he didn't feel it appropriate to vote. But it's still unanimous for those that did vote.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Hokay. So I already made a thread in the Stage Discussion solely for answering to the travesty that is Skyworld being banned. Har Har.

But in all seriousness... According to our panel members why did "we" decide that it is banned? If possible, I would like to have specific reasons rather than "I hate it." "It sucks." "Worst map EVVAR!!!!". I'm still having problems understanding why.
From what I was able to gather, some characters have an instant kill on this stage, and a ton of characters have no ability to recover after the platform is broken.

To sum it up, for a lot of characters, the stage is more dangerous than the other player. And you can give the argument that you can play other characters to even it out, but that could in turn leave you with little options anyway.

In all honesty though, the majority of us ban the stage anyway (I would of banned it at the tourney anyway if I hadn't heard it was banned already), so really it doesn't do too much harm...

Don't worry Waff, we can find another broken stage you can take advantage of!

....No homo

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
...and now Skyworld has changed from from the CP/banned to the Banned section.
No it hasn't.

From what I've gathered form my extensive (yet limited) research is that it moved from the counterpick to the counterpick/banned. It has not been moved to the banned and banned alone list.

While the stage can be counter-picked, the stage is normally banned in tournaments due to breakable impassable platforms that make it difficult to move around the stage and to perform a good KO.
Taken directly from smashwiki (which i was directed to during my venture on the stage discussion boards).

If we're going to take this quote with a grain of salt, then Luigis Mansion should also be banned. Due to its breakable impassable platforms (the pillars). If anything, these stages are similar enough to warrant a) checking into banning both, or b) realizing that they are similar enough to leave both at counterpick.

Because counterpicking is ment to give the loser of a match an advantage, shouldn't it be natural that you'd pick a stage that your preferred character works best at? The advantage isn't unreasonable, especially in skyworlds regard.

And i've given up on RF. This argument has nothing to do with it.

Edit: Take advantage of? ANYONE can take advantage of a stage. Here's just one anecdote out of the many.

Back at the last ToF i took Kenny to... guess where... skyworld. Not only did he beat me on it, but he used the stage to HIS advantage. Even with Skyworld "supposedly" being notoriously bad for snake.

If you want to call someone taking advantage of a stage, how about referring towards something much more devious such as the Gannondorf/Great Sea(toon link) cheese?

As for trying to get a stage unbanned, its sticking firmly and resolutely at Skyworld at the mo. Besides it being my favorite stage, and all bias aside, It should not be on the banned list.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Okay, first off, Skyworld is actually a really good stage for snake. I don't think I've ever lost on it. But that's beside the point.

Here is how the SBR voted.

Skyworld 0-12-8 >>> 0-0-16
When they first voted when they made the first ruleset, it was 0-12-8. Now when they discussed it is a straight up 0-0-16. That means that some people decided it was too early to ban it, but after further playing and contemplation, not a single person decided it was viable for tournament play.

That evidence should be good enough.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Eh, my mistake on that part then. For some reason I had the impression that you said it was supposed to be somewhat bad for him but just that you liked it.

Anyways, since it comes down to the (a) panel on determining everything, is it possible to view the thread where the panel discussed it? Oh wait... its in the backroom. How does one go about getting permission to view and walk on such holy grounds?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
That's not panel vote, that was the Smash Back Room's vote, where only top players who know what they're talking about are let in. They're the ones that regulate the rules on everything, nation wide.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I don't think that was Waffle point. I think Waff is upset that only a select few from Utah is able to discuss and determine the ruleset for Utah. But we are actually doing a good job, as we decided on banning the stages that the SBR banned, before they even banned it. One of the exceptions is Skyworld, which we're now just following them. But aside from that, having a panel of 6 (including the two tournament organizers) is actually a good thing. It could just be the FTS and Fate doing whatever they want, in a dictatorship kind of way, meaning that you don't really get a voice at all. With this, there's more input. Stuff said on the Utah threads are taken into account when we discuss it, more so when a person's argument is a good one. And with 6 panelist all from different social groups (or "crews"), we're able to get more input from the people in each of our groups. In your case, Waff, you have Rade to be you eyes and ears. It's not like, forbidden to reveal stuff talked back there to other people (and it's not like I can enforce it if it was; I'm just trusting the panelists to have discretion), just as long as it's not taken overboard or have to deal with sensitive stuff that could cause some arguments; the counterpick/banned discussion should be fine to tell people, I guess. If you REALLY want to know, I guess you can ask Rade to show you.

DZLE

Smash Master
That's not panel vote, that was the Smash Back Room's vote, where only top players who know what they're talking about are let in. They're the ones that regulate the rules on everything, nation wide.
I thought the SBR was just a bunch of noobs who knew somebody to get in,
but after pm-ing a lot of Broomers I have met on the D3 boards and elsewhere are freaking good players! And I have talked to them about a lot of matters such as banned stages and metagay and everything they say usually has a LEGIT back up to their logic.

I like them.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Now DZLE's aiming for Broomer! :laugh:

As much as I don't like playing Skyworld, I still consider it to be a counterpick stage.
But then again, it really does hurt a lot of characters. The stage favors certain character's recoveries.

My opinion's moot though, since I don't have a lot of experience on that stage.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I thought the SBR was just a bunch of noobs who knew somebody to get in,
but after pm-ing a lot of Broomers I have met on the D3 boards and elsewhere are freaking good players! And I have talked to them about a lot of matters such as banned stages and metagay and everything they say usually has a LEGIT back up to their logic.

I like them.
Yeah, the regular, non-Smash backroom is the one where you need to know someone already in the BR to recommend you. The SBR's much more strict when it comes to deciding who can be allowed in. They don't even let Mods in there anymore (they use to, before) unless they would be back there regardless of mod-ship.

DZLE

Smash Master
Yeah. I have heard the most compelling arguments come from the SBRoomers, and it has actually changed my mind on a lot of things. Especially Lylat.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Tourney of Fate 9

So its that time of the month again, no I don't mean when Rade tries to hang out. I'm talking about your friendly neighborhood Smashing, where you all try to kiss my *** for a bracket seeding that works for you. So here is the run down:

1) Because we had a bit of luck with the "Bring a noob to work day" We are doing this again. If you bring someone new who has not been to a powerrankings offical smash event before, you and the person you bring (family/friend/smash playing dog/waff/ or some other creature that you created in Spore that plays smash) will each get one dollar back for entering singles.

2) I would love to has all 4 smashes up and running for this event.
~Smash 64 on the T.V. closest to the counter. (will need controllers and a game)
~Melee on its standard T.V.
~Brawl
~Brawl+ on one T.V. (If someone could bring a copy...DZLE)

3) We have a few deals that we can give away.
~Anyone one who enters this can get a 10/10/10 member ship ($10 price) for $5. This lets you get 10% off used games and 10% more on trades.
~Everyone who enters the tourney, gets 20% off any used times in the store.
~First place of our main event (brawl singles) will also get a shirt that says "I got smashed at Play N trade"

4) Sadly we must see Wangston go (but if he gives me his address I will try and mail him a gift), he was a great helper ***** for Tourney of Fate 1-8. And for that I dedicate ToF 8 to him his name will forever be on the OP of this thread next to the results of ToF 8. But I asked for someone to fill his spot as my helper, I got a few people who said they would be willing to help out. I choose PC for this spot as he has never missed a smash and comes behind the counter anyway, also robots don't ask me to buy them food. So here is the new list of people who help run this tourney:
~CorruptFate: Host does all the jobs below
~Ken neth: Main helper, Brawl bracket seeder, keeps things running smoothly, records matches
~Rade: records matches,
~Perfect Chaos: Melee bracket seeder, records matches
These people, and DZLE are the only people who can come behind the counter. If you have any questions or want to see the bracket you can ask one of them until I find a way to put the bracket in a more visable place.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
2) I would love to has all 4 smashes up and running for this event.
~Smash 64 on the T.V. closest to the counter. (will need controllers and a game)
~Melee on its standard T.V.
~Brawl on one T.V.
~Brawl+ on one T.V. (If someone could bring a copy...DZLE)
I am willing to have a tourney for each of these if people are willing to enter.
Brawl on one T.V.? Do you know how long that would take? It takes a long time to finish the normal two brawl tourneys, even with the 5-7 brawl setups we normally have.

Five tourneys (including teams) is way too many to run in one day, especially with multiple tourneys running at the same time (which causes big delays, due to players in one tourney waiting on someone in a tourney match on another game). I say, once TVs open up for friendlies we can switch the friendlies TV over to a different game.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
The first part was a typo on my part, I ment to just them up and running for people to play on. We will have the standard 3 tournies with 64, and brawl + as a fun thing to try out.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
We tried Smash 64 during one tourney, and it still ran pretty smooth. I say we should try it out. I'd be willing to bring the game (not controllers, everyone hates mine, only I can use my own...)

And if you need extra help, I'm always willing to help.

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I guess I could use my Wii for Brawl+.
Hopefully I'll have 64 on it once I figure that out and also unlock everything.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
If i lived up on campus, i'd totally offer you a ride... but i commute myself. Bleh. I've developed a strong hatred for trax recently...

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
We only need one, and DZLEs got that.
Minato's Wii, which is using my SD Card, has a slightly cooler Brawl+. :p It has texture mods, all music tracks (since there were no codes to unlock all music, I had to do it the hard way on Minato's Wii) and a more up-to-date codeset. The character selection screen has EVERYONE (but that's not a big deal). As for the texture mods, it's nothing too major (nothing like Captain America Falcon, etc.), but it does have things like Pokémon Trainer with all shiny Pokémon, shiny Lucario, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Naked Snake & Big Boss (I know they're the same person, but they're significantly different costumes), Old Snake, Fierce Diety Link, to name a few. There's are some stage texture mods, but it's nothing significant. Then there's the option to adjust the amount of buffer frames one has with ease. (But I guess we can use his Wii with my memory card if people want to use my data.)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
...Naked Snake & Big Boss (I know they're the same person, but they're significantly different costumes), Old Snake, Fierce Diety Link, to name a few.
......We're using this data. I don't care what anyone else says.

Nice to have another U of U person. Like everyone else, we'd give ya a ride if we lived up there. Looks like trax may be your best bet.

~Glory to the Hypno-Toad

Minato

穏やかじゃない
OK yeah i wanna use Minato/PC's brawl plus.

Old Snake is who i use for reals.
I'm torn between Naked Snake and Big Boss.
They're the same person... but Big Boss in his Portable Ops costume's awesome. Too bad he has that face camo.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Minato's Wii, which is using my SD Card, has a slightly cooler Brawl+. :p It has texture mods, all music tracks (since there were no codes to unlock all music, I had to do it the hard way on Minato's Wii) and a more up-to-date codeset. The character selection screen has EVERYONE (but that's not a big deal). As for the texture mods, it's nothing too major (nothing like Captain America Falcon, etc.), but it does have things like Pokémon Trainer with all shiny Pokémon, shiny Lucario, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Naked Snake & Big Boss (I know they're the same person, but they're significantly different costumes), Old Snake, Fierce Diety Link, to name a few. There's are some stage texture mods, but it's nothing significant. Then there's the option to adjust the amount of buffer frames one has with ease. (But I guess we can use his Wii with my memory card if people want to use my data.)
Works for me, but I would rather use the wii that has the offical Brawl+ ruleset or the wii that is closest.

Hehe, always dragging me along to do your bidding... punk.

But yeah! We'd be up to give a pick up. Just PM/get ahold of rade/jesse so we can figure everything out.
Rade=Jessy=Harpuia, just so you know Racoon.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
Works for me, but I would rather use the wii that has the offical Brawl+ ruleset or the wii that is closest.

Rade=Jesse=Harpuia, just so you know Racoon.
fixed

and i can pick you up for sure, but i dont know about taking you back i usually leave at weird intervals

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, always dragging me along to do your bidding... punk.

But yeah! We'd be up to give a pick up. Just PM/get ahold of rade/jesse so we can figure everything out.
Excellent, odds are, I'll be the only one getting off Trax with a GC controller, looking forward to it. Well, as long as I convince someone to to take me back to the Trax line before they stop running i should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom