• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

OkamiFur

Smash Cadet
NNID
OkamiFur
What time was the Provo fest? I was too pooped to make it after work yesterday, but I want to go sometime.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
firefox stalls are fully invincible if you drop from the ledge on the first possible frame. every frame you are slow is one frame you are vulnerable.
*and* how you grab the edge affects your ledge wavedash timing, which helps explain why I can't consistently do that--the timing literally changes. and this whole time I thought I couldn't hit buttons right

the more you know boys

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
thanks for coming out to the game den thing everyone! i was so glad that so many of you came out to support the weekly! i hope you all had a good time!

@ Tsuteto Tsuteto thanks for heading up the tournament side of things and for all the equipment you brought! we'll have to make sure that people realize it's a bring-your-own-controller event or something since a lot of people needed them :-p.
@ Snap. Snap. and @ SoapSuds SoapSuds thanks again for bringing out two set-ups again! hopefully we'll be able to scrounge up enough crts from the utah valley people so that you guys won't have to go through the hassle of bringing your stuff down. but until then, the extra set-ups are much appreciated! i'll try to compile a list of places to eat around provo for you guys as well so you know what's available ;-).
@ Sinz Sinz maybe you should employ this strategy next time for your kirby vs. fox matchups ;-). nah, but seriously, great matches! the character switch to reset the bracket was genius! you should just choose different characters all the time so that @ Sexy Yaz Sexy Yaz has no time to adjust ;-).
@ Sexy Yaz Sexy Yaz thanks for coming out! always good to see you take our moneyz ;-).
X, @ Staz Staz and brothers: thanks for coming out! it's been a while since i saw you at a smash event, X! it was good to see you! thanks for getting the pizza, @ Staz Staz ! food at fests is always a good thing ;-)! maybe we should try to make a deal with pizza pie cafe to provide pizza for all the game den events since that was super convenient.
@ Perfect Chaos Perfect Chaos thanks for driving down! it's been a while since i've seen you as well, and it's good to see that you can still hold your own in project m after being too busy to smash for a while ^_^!
@Hatch Backward sorry i missed your text. glad you were able to make it!
general shout outs to all who helped clean up, all who drove/provided car rides, all who provided set-ups, and to everyone who helped make this a success!

@ Tomacawk Tomacawk still dropping the knowledge bombs for our scene. interesting stuff!

Last edited:

Staz

Smash Lord
Hey guys I had a really good time at the smash fest/tournament yesterday! thanks for all who came out from salt lake, There wasn't a single game that I didn't enjoy every one was reallly fun and really close. Thanks for the game guys I am looking forward to all the upcoming tournaments since i work across the street and live like 5 minutes away!

and I'll see if I can get more pizza next time or maybe we can make a deal gg's!!!

Jekyll

Smash Ace
*and* how you grab the edge affects your ledge wavedash timing, which helps explain why I can't consistently do that--the timing literally changes.
What specifically causes the variation in timing (fast-falling, positioning, special fall)? I've never heard about this before.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
What specifically causes the variation in timing (fast-falling, positioning, special fall)? I've never heard about this before.
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-pre-ledgegrab-body-states-affect-your-ledgedash-timing.346128/

the orange triangle is the collision box that determines a wavedash (hitting against the stage) or an air dodge (into the side of the edge)
the slightly yellow triangle can be ignored for our use

then look at the columns vs rows and how big of a change you see
the effect of each step to the right = 1 frame longer you have to wait until you can wavedash, and 1 frame less of your invulnerability you have

so to those of you like me who could never understand why you were so bad at fox's ledge hop wavelands now might know why. the timing literally changes.
i'm unsure if this is a fox only mechanic or if this quirk is present on everybody

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
the orange triangle is the collision box that determines a wavedash (hitting against the stage) or an air dodge (into the side of the edge)
the slightly yellow triangle can be ignored for our use

then look at the columns vs rows and how big of a change you see
the effect of each step to the right = 1 frame longer you have to wait until you can wavedash, and 1 frame less of your invulnerability you have

so to those of you like me who could never understand why you were so bad at fox's ledge hop wavelands now might know why. the timing literally changes.
i'm unsure if this is a fox only mechanic or if this quirk is present on everybody
pcb's are different when you grab the ledge different ways for everybody

i didnt check frame difference for ledgedash though

source: tried on dolphin

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I spent some time reading up on the 20xx hack too, god damn it is so much cooler than i realized when @ N nqztv brought it to rj's
and it also shows me how super out of touch and lazy i've been with the game for years and humbled me quite a bit, i'm getting left behind. washed up old man soon i'll be losing to 18 year olds ohboy

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I always thought White controllers were so lame. I just ordered one, cause I only have one black one, and my friends always need one. I feel so lame.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
I had a lot of fun yesterday so thanks @ N nqztv and @ Tsuteto Tsuteto .
@ Skull Kid Skull Kid Those matches were really good, I need to learn more about Sheik.
@Felon GGs they were really close games and fun to play.
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto The Zelda was terrifying before I remember I could nair Din's. :D Lots of people counter pick Gannon so I'm more used to that match up. Thanks for manning the helm even if it makes it harder to play the matches.
@Snap dat bracket tho.

ps. if you guys want to play some netplay snap and I are hanging out just playing randys off the PM ladder site right now.
edit - or on #dolphin-projectm on Rizon

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
@ Tomacawk Tomacawk ya, the hack pack is pretty nice. admittedly, a lot of things are pretty gimmicky and not useful (dual 1v1... really?!), but it also has a lot of useful tools to check yourself (flash on unsuccessful l-cancel). the latest pretest version will have you turn green on wait frames. so basically if you turn green in between move strings (like pillaring, waveshining, or something), you know you can press buttons faster. i'm green a lot :-p.

@ Sexy Yaz Sexy Yaz sure, when will you be available?

@ Tuesday Tuesday sounds like it's gonna be an awesome tourney! if it only was a few weeks later, i might have been able to make,it :-/. make sure you guys get some a/c or something to help cool the players off from that texas heat... or just come back to utah and host the event here. we have pretty mountains and stuff ^_^''.

Last edited:

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Where's the best place to get the 20xx hack? I've seen it before, and it blew my mind how great it was but I haven't been able to find it on my own.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
@ N nqztv i'd play with green and red 20xx training colors, the outrageously large blaster, and infinite shield so i can practice pressure.
omgggggg

bet there's a psychological edge to laser camping people with the massive gun

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
FEST AT GKIRBZ 7:30 TIL 2 AM BE THERE OR BE A BITCHMADE LIL ******* *****(DS4's DS4 eeeeewwwwwww) 2522 HORSE SHOE CIRCLE SOUTH JORDAN UTAH 84095. No Shoes, Side door, do not leave game room. NOTHING I repeat NOTHING not even ur fat lazy smasher ass on the pool table. in fact just dont even touch the pool table or its big heavy balls at all. chemically saturate yourselves outside and with me only. falcon and warlock punches are a stock if you get hit. 2 if it kills you. fully charged ike or roy b is auto win of the match

Pumpk1nz

Smash Apprentice
FEST AT GKIRBZ 7:30 TIL 2 AM BE THERE OR BE A *****MADE LIL *****ES *****(DS4's DS4 eeeeewwwwwww) 2522 HORSE SHOE CIRCLE SOUTH JORDAN UTAH 84095. No Shoes, Side door, do not leave game room. NOTHING I repeat NOTHING not even ur fat lazy smasher *** on the pool table. in fact just dont even touch the pool table or its big heavy balls at all. chemically saturate yourselves outside and with me only. falcon and warlock punches are a stock if you get hit. 2 if it kills you. fully charged ike or roy b is auto win of the match
Sounds legit, I'll be there. And I'll probably be throwing out nothing but falcon punches in that case. If anybody nearby me needs a ride let me know.

@ socandrewcer socandrewcer I'm down to play tomorrow. I live in Taylorsville, you're welcome to come play at my place if you want, but I don't have a gamecube/wii on me atm so you would need to bring one if you wanna come here. I do have a crt tho.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
From sir RJ the king of the MuthafoxingGkirbs

introduce yourself to my dad if he comes down

that is all.

Oh and also

If asked any reply other than "I've been smashing with rj for years" will ruin all future fest

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
so it was just confirmed that that the mii fighters will have variable heights and weights depending on the mii they're based on...
...because competitive balance

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
Lol Mii only tourney sounds pretty great, actually... not for seriouslies, but for lolz only. I would be down.

And hey, peoples, I bought a Wii U. Add me if you want to Mario Kart, et cetera. Mmmkay?

Looking at you @Pumpinz @の。のFelon (c'mon, man. I switched to damn kana and still can't tag you...) @Z'zgashi (Even though I've never met you. :) ) @ N nqztv

Last edited:
Top Bottom