• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to preregister for just the one-day pass online? We only see the option for the weekend badge.

And does that code for $10 off only apply to the weekend pass, or to the one day pass as well? I'm talking to some people that are trying to register that have these questions.
One day does not exist anymore as pre registering is concerned. It will be available, day of at $20.
The code is good for the weekend pass only and it makes it $20 to get in for the weekend.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Ugh...with the price of pre-reg for both days being the same price for at-the-door for Saturday-only, no one from OoS that only plays Smash will pre-reg (if that know about this fact, that is), making planning ahead and advertising numbers really difficult... If there is an option for a 1-day pre-reg that's less than the at-the-door price, it'll definitely make people want to pre-reg if they only plan to come on 1 of the days.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Ugh...with the price of pre-reg for both days being the same price for at-the-door for Saturday-only, no one from OoS that only plays Smash will pre-reg (if that know about this fact, that is), making planning ahead and advertising numbers really difficult... If there is an option for a 1-day pre-reg that's less than the at-the-door price, it'll definitely make people want to pre-reg if they only plan to come on 1 of the days.
If they're smart, they'll buy a weekend badge online for $20. There's really no reason not to. Also, having people come day of or preregistering doesn't really matter because it doesn't make things that difficult. The only problem it creates is when trying to gauge how many people will be playing.

OKEN

Smash Rookie
hey guys my names Kevin. I live in provo, ut and am a personal friend of Cornelius (Rayn of Utah) So yah.......
I play a lot of brawl and LOL those are my two main games

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
If they're smart, they'll buy a weekend badge online for $20. There's really no reason not to. Also, having people come day of or preregistering doesn't really matter because it doesn't make things that difficult. The only problem it creates is when trying to gauge how many people will be playing.
Why would that be the "smart" thing to do? At the current price, if they pre-reg and then something comes up last minute that prevents them from going, then they just lost $20. With an at-the-door Saturday-only badge that costs the same as a pre-reg Weekend pass, to Smash-only players, there's just no point in taking the risk of a last-minute problem if they only plan to be there on Saturday regardless.
As for reasons why people coming the day of instead of pre-registering is a problem: with the fact that there's a possible pot bonus that only applies to the amount of pre-reg before a certain date, having most people sign up the day of the event would mean that that's not going to happen. Also, even without that fact, having a large pre-reg count is a good way to advertise to OoS players as it gives them more of a guarantee that the tournament will be worth their time if they come.
For example: if 100 people out of nowhere were to come register at-the-door, it'll be a huge tournament with a huge pot, but it'll be to late to get any OoS to come. If those 100 people all pre-registered, instead, getting even more OoS players to come will be much easier, especially the big names, and that'll further increase the numbers. I'm sure that a $1350+ pot will get even M2K to be willing to pay the whole expensive plane ticket straight to SLC himself, as he would be guaranteed to not end up in the negative that way.
But at the way the price structure is at now, it simply pushes Smash-only players to sign up at-the-door.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
That's probably why it was recommended to pre-reg, because of that add in to the pot bonus. Unfortunately, in direct incentive, I can see where the theory falls short. A one day pass for a two day event unfortunately doesn't seem to be working too well here when it comes to competitions that are to only be for one day, since that's probably where you'd get quite a few people (and then from there, them wandering around would make them want to come for the actual con the next time, therefore buying a full weekend pass).

Just my quick thoughts, nothing too deep.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lets have an all Yoshi tournament so I can actually win something smash related ;D

Id actually probably still lose just straight up cuz im so rusty, and rust+never being good to begin with is bad loool

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You were actually getting pretty good, then you gave up.

He who never tries never fails, but if you don't ever try you're a failure...I don't know what to tell ya.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I never gave up, I just needed a break and wanted to concentrate on another game for a bit.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Says the guy that hasn't played brawl since '08 LOL

People have been saying brawl is going to die out for years now but it hasn't happened. I don't see it dying out until the new smash comes out, and even then it might live on like melee (undoubtedly it will be smaller than the melee elitist group though)

Who's all coming to the tourney tomorrow?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Smash 4 is the sole reason why I think that, and that's probably going to come out late 2014. It's weird that people thought Brawl was going to die a few years ago, though.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
I definitely thought brawl would last 2 years TOPS when it was released
I skipped school to play it. I'll never forget the disappointment
"What the hell? You can't l cancel? WHAT ARE THESE AIRDODGES? GOD PIT IS SO BROKEN. WHYS FOX SUCK!?? FALCON...TRIPS!? WHAT"
least I skipped school guys

not hatin' just sayin'
yall have a dope community and you enjoy your game. that's all that matters. the younger me was much less empathetic (or perhaps worse at hiding his self-centered outbursts)

i'm stoked for tomorrow. hope to get some ssbm/p.m. goin'
maybe some mahvel baby

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
anybody wanna cash battle some P:M or ssbm tmrw?
i still haven't played with over half of everybody that plays afaik. let's do some seriouslies
my memory says tomorrow starts at noon but I couldn't find a post to verify that
does anybody know what time it the pre-salt fest thing starts

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The official event is scheduled to start at 3 PM, but I'm sure some people will come earlier to play friendlies and possibly even start the Brawl tournament early. I plan to show up around 12:30-1:00 (unless I don't end up going to sleep until past 5 AM like most Friday nights / Saturday mornings LOL).

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
If you bring it then that would be awesome. More setups always makes the tourney run faster and leaves more time for friendlies. I don't know if you'll see this before you leave though.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Wow, I totally stopped receiving alerts for this thread. Not sure why.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
If you bring it then that would be awesome. More setups always makes the tourney run faster and leaves more time for friendlies. I don't know if you'll see this before you leave though.
Everyone always seems to leave shortly after the tournament ends, no matter how early it is, though. :(
Wow, I totally stopped receiving alerts for this thread. Not sure why.
Ever since the latest board change, a lot of people (including myself) have been experiencing this phenomenon randomly for random threads. It's pretty annoying...
So who is exactly in charge of these Cafe Friendlies/Tourneys?
SmashBoards member ASLC is the one that is in charge of setting up the overall monthlies, but we (Utah's Smash community) as a community run it ourselves at the event itself.

Top Bottom