• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Pretty much the main people who go to a lot of events thus can have good input are here, so I'm not too worried. This is the planning area that's publicly accessible to me.

And I prefer to think of you as the gate keeper Bill Nye :p

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Yo I may have 2 demo codes left... if you desperate casuals want one PM me and I suppose it will be first come first served

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
To give you guys an idea of what an amateur bracket does to a scene NM just had an amateur tournament and it had 60 entrants. 3 years ago the scene was basically 8 people.

edit: 60 is the smallest they've had in months.

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
So what's to stop a really good player from losing on purpose and then destroying the amateur bracket?

Hypothetically.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
The people who know the player.

Amateur is basically strictly those who are the new players or those who aren't "that high" on the pro side. If someone consistently had won amateur, they'd be barred from competing in it

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
E.g. though I'm not the best player, I could also be considered too good for amateur. Thus, restricted to pro

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
So what's to stop a really good player from losing on purpose and then destroying the amateur bracket?

Hypothetically.
Basically if you are known or have placed in events you wouldn't be able to compete in the amateur bracket.

NM has a two time win rule for their guys. So if you win the amateur bracket twice you cant' compete in that one anymore. Or if you just sweep the **** out of it.

Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement but anything is good.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman

Hypothetically.
The payout would be smaller, and if someone were to do this it would give an amateur bracket player more tourney play time against a strong opponent anyway, which isn't always bad (even if slightly outside the spirit of the event).

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Also, just to add onto that in a more serious manner, throwing matches on purpose falls under the category of bracket fixing, and can be ban worthy. It's obviously a hard thing to call, but if someone who should be top 5 keeps losing to randoms in pools in back to back tournaments and it looks quite obvious that they are playing much better in bracket than pools, it can be caught and can be ban worthy.

Also we'll all call you a scrub.

Yo I may have 2 demo codes left... if you desperate casuals want one PM me and I suppose it will be first come first served
My brother would love one if you have one left. I know you said to PM you, but if others want it more, prioritize them.

net1234

Smash Ace
an amateur bracket will be cool but what if it murders our already abysmal turnouts by splitting them into 2 4 man tourneys. better players dont show up all that much very often. unless you fix it some other way. with like elimination leading into an amateur bracket with an extra buy in or something like that

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You just dont have an amateur bracket unless you have at least like 16 people.

Come on man.

EDIT: Or what you do if you REALLY want an amateur bracket is have one single bracket of 16 or less people, and the first half to get DQ'd you can put into another 8 person or less bracket to give them more matches.

Last edited:

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
an amateur bracket will be cool but what if it murders our already abysmal turnouts by splitting them into 2 4 man tourneys.
Im pretty sure if it comes out really ****ty we as a community could either agree to not do anymore amateur brackets or fix it in a way where it works for everyone

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
an amateur bracket will be cool but what if it murders our already abysmal turnouts by splitting them into 2 4 man tourneys. better players dont show up all that much very often. unless you fix it some other way. with like elimination leading into an amateur bracket with an extra buy in or something like that
I'm confident in our ability as a scene to use this event where it'd make sense. Remember Fanx? Remember all the sad looking new players that got 0-4'd in their pool after paying 40 bucks just to enter? This could potentially help with stuff like that.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Tourneys ARE meant for all. The splitting of brackets can only help that. Examples:

*Both brackets will probably be ran at the same time. Thus, only one bracket could be streamed, priority to Pro bracket. Added bonus for getting there.
*Amateur brackets will always be a much lesser pay out. Coincidentally, less to get in too.
*Amateur bracket will not be considered for power rankings. Only pro.

Three things ALONE give people drive to get to the pro bracket level, in the sense that drives people the most: greed and pride. Think about it, how many people like to get achievements or trophies on their games, when they usually have nothing more than something stupid and fun?

The amateur bracket is the only way to move forward at this point. The only bigger part is the community being accepting of people, and limiting trash talk to something more of a conversation between friends and not loudly proclaimed to everyone's ears. Example, when I tell people they lost because they didn't punch them in the face. Minor trash talking, but only to people I know, not somebody new usually.

I will also, however, state that I can NOT do this alone. I merely am trying to organize things at this point. A lot of this will require your guy's help, and will need to be pushed further by your suggestions and inputs. I want to set up a structured system where we have a "head" of an area. For example, that could push the Gym Leader idea that was discussed earlier further, and make it a requirement for people to travel for those badges (not far, just like, from Orem to SLC or the likes). Then the bigger events people can challenge the Elite Four.

There are TONS of ideas that'd be wonderful to implement. Amateur brackets are only the start. Let's get people to these scenes and going. If you guys have any suggestions or input, lemme know. I'll promise to have Gamer's Abbey website up by the end of the month to make it the premier place for that info that, really, you could just hand out a business card to someone you notice so they can pick up on it.

And merch. Oh the merch. Sorry, I'm still for profit, but I try to be reasonable :p

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
inb4 no one does anything and the scene stays the same. but seriously, we've talked about changing things before. i thought the gym leader thing was koo, but that requires gym leaders to be *very* active in the scene (and let's be honest, a lot of the good players aren't active), and people just complained and nothing happened.

what does everyone use to follow the scene. for me, it's:

1. this thread
2. first post in this thread
3. byu smashers facebook page (this one less since i don't have a facebook account and have to rely on someone else)

i try to use the google docs, but no one seems to use it besides me (correct me if i'm wrong). i haven't checked out the utah smash facebook page since, once again, i don't have facebook and you need an account to view these group pages (super dumb). i think there's also another facebook page for the salt lake scene or something. where do you guys find info for the scene? we need to consolidate what info goes where and stuff :-p.

also, good players need to travel together to other region's tournaments. nothing makes you closer than traveling together :-p.

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Tourneys ARE meant for all. The splitting of brackets can only help that. Examples:

*Both brackets will probably be ran at the same time. Thus, only one bracket could be streamed, priority to Pro bracket. Added bonus for getting there.
*Amateur brackets will always be a much lesser pay out. Coincidentally, less to get in too.
*Amateur bracket will not be considered for power rankings. Only pro.

Three things ALONE give people drive to get to the pro bracket level, in the sense that drives people the most: greed and pride. Think about it, how many people like to get achievements or trophies on their games, when they usually have nothing more than something stupid and fun?

The amateur bracket is the only way to move forward at this point. The only bigger part is the community being accepting of people, and limiting trash talk to something more of a conversation between friends and not loudly proclaimed to everyone's ears. Example, when I tell people they lost because they didn't punch them in the face. Minor trash talking, but only to people I know, not somebody new usually.

I will also, however, state that I can NOT do this alone. I merely am trying to organize things at this point. A lot of this will require your guy's help, and will need to be pushed further by your suggestions and inputs. I want to set up a structured system where we have a "head" of an area. For example, that could push the Gym Leader idea that was discussed earlier further, and make it a requirement for people to travel for those badges (not far, just like, from Orem to SLC or the likes). Then the bigger events people can challenge the Elite Four.

There are TONS of ideas that'd be wonderful to implement. Amateur brackets are only the start. Let's get people to these scenes and going. If you guys have any suggestions or input, lemme know. I'll promise to have Gamer's Abbey website up by the end of the month to make it the premier place for that info that, really, you could just hand out a business card to someone you notice so they can pick up on it.

And merch. Oh the merch. Sorry, I'm still for profit, but I try to be reasonable :p
I'd give priority to Amateur bracket for streaming actually. This way they can have something to hope for. Obviously if you have pro bracket matches that are going to be the **** then go ahead. I just think that the new guys would like to be streamed.

3$ buy in for amateur tournaments. This is easy and doesn't impact them much at all. It won't feel like a waste of their money.

Amateur bracket is the best way to start everything. We can talk about the whole Gym leader thing later. I think @Mr. Fox had a good plan about how to do it.

Ultimately the most important thing for the amateur bracket is to help them feel welcome in to our scene. So please absolutely no trash talking. RJ I know you read this still, if you feel the need to troll. Just do it with me or with Tim. Just limit it as much as you can.

For now lets focus on the getting the Amateur bracket going.

3$ Tournament fee should be pretty easy for people to get a hold of. It will be easy to advertise since it isn't much.

inb4 no one does anything and the scene stays the same. but seriously, we've talked about changing things before. i thought the gym leader thing was koo, but that requires gym leaders to be *very* active in the scene (and let's be honest, a lot of the good players aren't active), and people just complained and nothing happened.

what does everyone use to follow the scene. for me, it's:

1. this thread
2. first post in this thread
3. byu smashers facebook page (this one less since i don't have a facebook account and have to rely on someone else)

i try to use the google docs, but no one seems to use it besides me (correct me if i'm wrong). i haven't checked out the utah smash facebook page since, once again, i don't have facebook and you need an account to view these group pages (super dumb). i think there's also another facebook page for the salt lake scene or something. where do you guys find info for the scene? we need to consolidate what info goes where and stuff :-p.

also, good players need to travel together to other region's tournaments. nothing makes you closer than traveling together :-p.
For now we should focus on the amateur bracket.

I only use this thread basically. There is the Utah Smash group as well.

I could try to get a website up and going where I could host all of the tournament information if you'd like @ N nqztv . I'll make sure to get you rights to edit since you update the google doc all the time. It would be easier to remember smashutah instead of the google doc link.

I'm going to be travelling to Idaho's tournament in late November. Tim is joining me. Who else would like to join? I'm leaving from Logan. I have 3 open seats.

Last edited:

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
Also, just to add onto that in a more serious manner, throwing matches on purpose falls under the category of bracket fixing, and can be ban worthy. It's obviously a hard thing to call, but if someone who should be top 5 keeps losing to randoms in pools in back to back tournaments and it looks quite obvious that they are playing much better in bracket than pools, it can be caught and can be ban worthy.

Also we'll all call you a scrub.

My brother would love one if you have one left. I know you said to PM you, but if others want it more, prioritize them.
I guess I can PM you I have one left
Edit: lol never messaged anyone so im just posting it here so its for anyone pretty much that sees and wants it first. A05VDD9U2RAA8QB7

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
why do we even need a tournament buy-in for amateur? do amateur's feel motivated by small payouts? i don't. when pumpkinz had a fest, we just did a tournament amongst who was there and i had fun just playing. if you think it is motivating, why don't you just do $1 buy-in, winner-takes-all. by definition, amateurs aren't in it for money :-p.

and i'd rather see good players be streamed rather than bad players. when i see bad players playing, i just stop watching cause it's not exciting :-p. my two cents, i figure there will be others who don't feel the same way :-p.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
I'd give priority to Amateur bracket for streaming actually. This way they can have something to hope for. Obviously if you have pro bracket matches that are going to be the **** then go ahead. I just think that the new guys would like to be streamed.

3$ buy in for amateur tournaments. This is easy and doesn't impact them much at all. It won't feel like a waste of their money.

Amateur bracket is the best way to start everything. We can talk about the whole Gym leader thing later. I think @Mr. Fox had a good plan about how to do it.

Ultimately the most important thing for the amateur bracket is to help them feel welcome in to our scene. So please absolutely no trash talking. RJ I know you read this still, if you feel the need to troll. Just do it with me or with Tim. Just limit it as much as you can.

For now lets focus on the getting the Amateur bracket going.

3$ Tournament fee should be pretty easy for people to get a hold of. It will be easy to advertise since it isn't much.

For now we should focus on the amateur bracket.

I only use this thread basically. There is the Utah Smash group as well.

I could try to get a website up and going where I could host all of the tournament information if you'd like @ N nqztv . I'll make sure to get you rights to edit since you update the google doc all the time. It would be easier to remember smashutah instead of the google doc link.

I'm going to be travelling to Idaho's tournament in late November. Tim is joining me. Who else would like to join? I'm leaving from Logan. I have 3 open seats.
Im down to go, how much currency should I bring?

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
why do we even need a tournament buy-in for amateur? do amateur's feel motivated by small payouts? i don't. when pumpkinz had a fest, we just did a tournament amongst who was there and i had fun just playing. if you think it is motivating, why don't you just do $1 buy-in, winner-takes-all. by definition, amateurs aren't in it for money :-p.

and i'd rather see good players be streamed rather than bad players. when i see bad players playing, i just stop watching cause it's not exciting :-p. my two cents, i figure there will be others who don't feel the same way :-p.

DOUBLE POST CHODE YEAH I KNOW KILL ME!!!!

Anyways I personally think the money gives those who dont get experience winning money (normally because of less skill to those who do) to experience of "Yeah! I did it I won 15-20 dollars now im gonna try harder next time to make it out of amateur bracket."

Think of it this way if money is on the line people try harder example Money Matches vs. Friendlies. (Do I need a better example)

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

It adds a level of professionalism to it. It's an insignificant amount, but it means they will take it seriously.

Put me in coach

EDIT: Also dang somebody already got to the code that was just posted
I only have first class. Sorry.

edit:

Sinz, Tsuteto, MeleeRuler, and Support are in my car so far. There is space for one more.

I feel weird planning for a tournament that @QraQ hasn't announced yet.

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
okay my car is taken for the trip to Idaho.

Just so you guys know I have talked to @QraQ and there is going to be a tournament... eventually.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait to enter the amateur bracket as Pichu_Mast3r and wreck kids' butt holes.

Sidenote, when Splatoon comes out, I'm having a tournament.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116

yes
amateurs should never be getting any amount of money for the amateur bracket
kinda ******** if someone places 4th right out of the money in pro and the amateur winner gets 30$
that way better players won't purposely lose to enter and amateurs will want to get better
to be able to play for money,
2 birds stoned at once

Last edited:

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Amateur brackets should honestly only have like a $1-$2 buy in. I feel like that motivates amateurs to enter, but they're less likely to get buttmad if they lose because hey, it only cost them a soda from any vending machine. Whereas $10 or more buy-ins start getting into the zone where losing might be enough to fluster an amateur out of the scene entirely.

Plus with a $1 buy-in, any "pro" player who throws a match to get into the amateur bracket is ******** because they threw away like $15 for a change to win maybe that amount back.

EDIT: Also I already run stuff for amateurs down here in Springville/Spanish Fork. Sadly no one outside of a handful of people have actually had the desire to move onto the larger scene but whatever. :/

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
I understand we're trying to be inclusive to new players but why are we talking about buy in? We already know its not money that's a barrier to new players. There was like 90% new players at fanx and that was a mad expensive way to lose to people who play at a higher level. People will pay lots of money to play this game regardless of skill.

Just have everyone pay the same amount and seed into amateur/pro by performance in pools.

article on amateur brackets that covers literally everyone's concerns on the topic: http://clashtournaments.com/money-brawl-please-run-amateur-brackets/

Top Bottom