• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Speaking of, I'm actually probably going to be up there once or twice by the end of the year. I'll let y'all know.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I've been practicing that MU a lot, actually. One of the top Texas players is a Puff main and is one of my primary training partners.

But I also just lost a pools set in Dallas to McBad so it's not like I have the matchup on lock or nothin lol. It's still stupidly bad. Once I have a date let's hype a MM.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'll explain later tonight about the X thing. Withhold any judgments folks, especially if you only "barely know" X actually. I will state though that, yes, I have banned X from all tournaments in Utah that I am involved with. I know some are confused, some are understanding, and some frankly don't care. But that's the decision. Reasoning will come when I'm done with things tonight.
Just in time for Smash 4. This was definitely for the best since it's going to be welcoming for the influx of new players lol

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
For anyone experienced in doing the modding for pm and whatnot.

I've got a request. I want a good way to practice shield pressure.

Is there a way to do infinite shields and make it so the CPU's only shield? Is also possible to isolate this to training mode?

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 custom move info supplied via that dude who went to the Japan prerelease event:

"Move customization is accessible after you select a character easily at the CSS. First you turn it on, by hitting a button on the top right of the bottom screen. After that, an interface appears on the bottom character portraits. There's 8 slots for 4 equipment and 4 b move modifications. It's easy and quick to do." link

Confirmation of the competitive scene accepting custom moves?

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
yo when's the next tournament? i wanna play smash again.

provo game den tomorrow is that melee or pm?

Last edited:

BigK_201

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigK_201
3DS FC
2406-5184-1090
Thanks to everyone who came out this weekend to Smash Comic Con 2014. It was definitely an eventful weekend and we tried doing a lot of things new this time around, some successful and some not so much. Overall, I think it turned out pretty well, but myself, @ Tsuteto Tsuteto , and Paige would like to hear from all of you on what you think.

If you could, please send me an email (chris -at- utah3ds.com) to give us some feedback. Here's basically what we'd like to know:

2 Things that you liked about the event
2 Things you did not like about the event
Games you would like to see at the next SLCC tournament (Melee, PM, Brawl, 3DS, Wii U)
Interested in Doubles?
Any other comments or concerns

I'll be sending out an email later today to everyone who registered for the tournament, but I figured I'd give you all a heads up on here.

In non smashing related news, you're all invited to join Utah 3DS StreetPass on September 20th for our event. I've become friends with you all so it would be great to see you all if you're able to make it out. Details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1480034718931868/

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Game Den weeklies resume after the whole of Comic Con! As follows:

Provo Game Den - Tuesday, Venue opens at 5 PM, tourney starts at 7:30 being melee
Taylorsville Game Den - Wednesday, Venue opens at 5 PM, tourney starts at 7:30 being Project M

Both have a $5 venue and a $5 entry for the tourney.

Starting this week, $2 off venue if you bring a full set up for tourney use. This is not a guarantee, since all set ups may not be used in the tourney. First come first serve.

Last edited:

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 custom move info supplied via that dude who went to the Japan prerelease event:

"Move customization is accessible after you select a character easily at the CSS. First you turn it on, by hitting a button on the top right of the bottom screen. After that, an interface appears on the bottom character portraits. There's 8 slots for 4 equipment and 4 b move modifications. It's easy and quick to do." link

Confirmation of the competitive scene accepting custom moves?
I know that, when I hold the October Smash Jam, I will not be allowing custom move sets. No other game that has customization allows it in tournament settings. Too much unpredictability, especially within the first month of the game's release. If rules come out that determine a fair way of handling these things, then perhaps. But for now, no.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Where did that premise come from? There is quite the precedent among competitive scenes for this amount of customization: ssf4 allows you to select supers, marvel vs capcom has assists, and many of the other traditional fighters have similar mechanics.

There were two valid concerns with custom moves, none of which you mentioned: That they would take too long to implement during tourney and/or there would be too much freedom to customize, allowing for overpowered moves (there was early speculation that you could customize a moves properties and not just swap it for another move).

We know both of these are no longer the case.

Unpredictability? This isn't an exploding capsule spawning on you and taking a stock. If you get hit with a given move in a match its your fault.

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm against competitive custom movesets because I don't want to have to learn 100+ matchups

Sandfall

Stage Designer
For anyone experienced in doing the modding for pm and whatnot.

I've got a request. I want a good way to practice shield pressure.

Is there a way to do infinite shields and make it so the CPU's only shield? Is also possible to isolate this to training mode?
In 3.02, if you have a controller plugged in to the same port as the CPU, it will shield if you press L or R on the secondary controller. Not the most ideal solution, but it's probably the easiest.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Changeable move sets mean link and yoshi have up-b's that have decent recovery or give kill power to characters like puff. I just think it could make crappy characters viable. But out of all those bajillion moves a few could end up be tornado/shuttle loop level broken.

Pumpk1nz

Smash Apprentice
Changeable move sets mean link and yoshi have up-b's that have decent recovery or give kill power to characters like puff. I just think it could make crappy characters viable. But out of all those bajillion moves a few could end up be tornado/shuttle loop level broken.
Smash 4: Customizable Metaknights.... Dear god...

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Where did that premise come from? There is quite the precedent among competitive scenes for this amount of customization: ssf4 allows you to select supers, marvel vs capcom has assists, and many of the other traditional fighters have similar mechanics.

There were two valid concerns with custom moves, none of which you mentioned: That they would take too long to implement during tourney and/or there would be too much freedom to customize, allowing for overpowered moves (there was early speculation that you could customize a moves properties and not just swap it for another move).

We know both of these are no longer the case.

Unpredictability? This isn't an exploding capsule spawning on you and taking a stock. If you get hit with a given move in a match its your fault.
Unless the game allows the opponent to see the custom moves that are selected, the moves and how they act are unpredictable. You're argument about selecting supers/assists does not work here, as 1) it is only 1 move, and 2) I can completely see what move is selected and plan ahead how to deal with it, as well as have a guess as how the move is going to be used. With the description of how the custom moves work, the characters and their moves will end up being completely different, meaning that the character will play completely different as well. Yes, getting hit is your own fault. That does not justify my inability to know what your move will do before I even play you.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
so much scrub talk for a game that hasn't even come out yet :-p. *if* custom moves are allowed in national tournaments, i'm sure most people will converge to the same customizations for each character since it will be deemed the "best" configuration. 64 converged to pikachu, melee converged to marth then the spacies, brawl converged to metaknight, etc. people don't often take the road less traveled and define the way to play a character. most people just mimic what people better than them do :-p. but who knows, all our speculation is probably wrong anyway, so why don't we just wait until the game comes out and enjoy the hype until then ;-).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol yoshis up b is like top 5 most op recoveries in brawl.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
is anyone planning on going to the provo game den weekly tonight. just wondering if i should be my capture stuff and extra tv :-p.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Is there Brawl at the Provo weeklies? I wont be going today, but if there is, I'll start going to it from now on, especially when Smash 4 comes out, cuz Tuesdays are my day off.

Also, since the majority of the Smash scene (or at least the majority before the Smash documentary brought in like 80 new people lol) is all like 21 and older now and have jobs and ****, we should start our own versions of the Fighting scene's 'Wednesday Night Fights'. Doesnt have to be Wednesday, but Id go to any tournaments that start around 10pm or so since I work until 9 now.

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Is there Brawl at the Provo weeklies? I wont be going today, but if there is, I'll start going to it from now on, especially when Smash 4 comes out, cuz Tuesdays are my day off.

Also, since the majority of the Smash scene (or at least the majority before the Smash documentary brought in like 80 new people lol) is all like 21 and older now and have jobs and ****, we should start our own versions of the Fighting scene's 'Wednesday Night Fights'. Doesnt have to be Wednesday, but Id go to any tournaments that start around 10pm or so since I work until 9 now.
Cosign.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448

tURNS OUT IM LIKEABLE HAHA EAT SHIT H8RS

Last edited:
Top Bottom