• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Mewtwo is my non-competitive main. Atm I'm considering Falco, because on the one hand I like the speed of Falco but on the other hand I hate how quickly he falls.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
alright, smashfest at my place later tonight. looks like around 830pm is gunna be when we start, but that may be subject to change. let me know if you guys intend to come

EDIT- pushed starting time back further. fest starts at 830. late for a sunday but that's how it's gunna be yo~

Last edited:

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
I literally just realised that socandrewcer's name is Soccer with Andrew in the middle of it.
Wtfffffff I had no idea. I was actually just thinking about that and was trying to figure out where the **** that name came from.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Shoutouts to everyone I was able to play yesterday. I had a lot of fun. Great to see so many new faces getting into the scene.

Also shoutout to Jacob if he gets on here. I was super super impressed by your playing and mindset. I legit had to try against you, which is saying a lot especially considering this is only your second real tournament. You're going places if you keep up with it.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Also shoutout to Jacob if he gets on here. I was super super impressed by your playing and mindset. I legit had to try against you, which is saying a lot especially considering this is only your second real tournament. You're going places if you keep up with it.
He doesn't post here and idk if he browses the thread or not but he's my friend and I'll relay the message to him.

@ Tomacawk Tomacawk Depending on how much I work I get done from now until 8:00, I'll see if I can show up.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
@ Superw0rri0 Superw0rri0 thanks for setting up to the neumont tournament. had a great time getting more familiar with the local scene. looking forward to more ;-).

@ Tuesday Tuesday @Jekyll @ Tomacawk Tomacawk you're dead to us now ;-)! jk... please come back...

Is there a reason everyone recommends l-canceling to new players? being able to combo is cool and all, but if you're new to competitive play, let's be honest, you're gonna get wrecked by a lot of players and be on the defensive most of the time. that combo you were able to connect in training mode/vs cpus is not gonna be of any use to you when you're opponent is pressuring you so much that you can't even set up the combo (i speak from experience sadly).

i think one of the first things people should do is to follow isai's famous words, "don't get hit". learn spacing and mobility. know how far you need to be from your opponent to *not* get hit. learn your tech options when you hit the stage and the options when you miss the tech. i used a hack the kills me instantly if i roll to break me out of the bad habit of rolling into my opponents and other such nonsense that puts me in a position to be hit by my opponent. this comes with time, but you have to make an effort to notice it.

learn out-of-shield (OoS) options like shield-grabbing. does your character have a good up-b they can do out of shield? what about jump options out of shield like nair or something? wavedash OoS to get yourself out of a predicament?

learn recovery for your character. know how to get back on stage from various distances. know how to mix it up so it's not so predictable (this also applies to getting up from the edge).

you can learn neutral and offensive game options like dash dancing to bait and punish, edge-hogging and other things to do when your opponent is off stage, comboing and tech-chasing to stay on the offensive, etc to keep you from getting bored and such, but i think the defensive skills are what should be focused on the most for beginners who are looking to get into competitive play since that's the situation they'll find themselves in more frequently :-p.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
So if I'm understanding correctly, rather than learn crazy combos out if the gate I should take the time to really get in tune with how my character plays? As in I should understand exactly how their recovers work and find the limits of their agility and mobility in order to be able to become an effective defender and then move onto offense? Feel free to correct me if I'm off base.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
So if I'm understanding correctly, rather than learn crazy combos out if the gate I should take the time to really get in tune with how my character plays? As in I should understand exactly how their recovers work and find the limits of their agility and mobility in order to be able to become an effective defender and then move onto offense? Feel free to correct me if I'm off base.
Pretty much. I made the mistake of starting my Melee career with watching M2K combo videos and trying to imitate them against spacie computers on FD. My combo game with Marth quickly became solid, but I didn't realize why I was still losing in tournaments to people with almost no combo game. Thus began my real Melee career.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Definitely learn how your character moves and attacks. If you don't know your own character, you won't know how your character interacts with the others in battle appropriately.

In terms of the suggestion being "l-cancel", I would gather it'd be two fold. One: It is a defensive manuever, as much as it is an offensive one. If you're landed on the ground and can't even shield, that's more time for your opponent to punish you. The second is developing your character further, as when you do that, sure, you learn combos and what not. What's more though is you learn that same thing of spacing and timing. If you know your character will land and have 5 frames before doing the next action if l-canceling, that changes your approach and what move you will do after that fair -> l-cancel. Whereas one shields, they may learn that they can actually follow up with a d-tilt and then shield.

Just my $0.02, take it how you will.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
So would this be an effective mobility/defense training drill: Three cpus, 8 minutes, try to go all 8 minutes without sustaining damage/taking as little damage as possible or should I seek out a human practice partner?

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
@ ElectricCitrus ElectricCitrus Find a human practice partner. I first noticed myself starting to improve in tournaments after I began training with Support regularly. It's also nice because each of us are a little above the other in different ways. His defensive game is far better, he has outstanding DI and uses stuff like crouch cancelling frequently. I, on the other hand, have a severe lack in that area, but outpace him in the neutral/offensive game.

On a somewhat relevant note, is this thread actually hosting a civilized discussion?

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
if you want to play competitively, then that's what i think since you'll be playing with people above your level for a while. be ok with losing, and learn to appreciate small wins like recovering from a position that would've killed you before, or DIing out of a combo that always connected with you before. as with anything, it will all come in time, so you can learn however you want, but imo, a focus on the defensive technique will result in less frustration when you're starting out.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
Btw, thanks for the feedback and advice everyone! I was a little hesitant to ask, but I'm glad I did.
@ Mr. Fox Mr. Fox I will be sure to find a human practice partner ASAP if that's the ideal way to go about this. But in the meantime I will just run some frame counting stuff on my own in training mode.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
The reason people say learn to L-cancel is because if you're always landing with lag it doesn't matter how good your spacing is. You will be punished every time. It's not because you can combo, it's so you don't leave yourself open every time you land.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
So would this be an effective mobility/defense training drill: Three cpus, 8 minutes, try to go all 8 minutes without sustaining damage/taking as little damage as possible or should I seek out a human practice partner?
If your by yourself ythere are a couple things u can do:
Set the cpu to lvl 9, don't attack/don't get hit as long as possible, focus on using any advanced movement u know

Set the cpu to 7 or 3, beat the crap out of it, focus on following up on its di, dont worry about it attacking you, you just want something that dis semi humanly

Always hit training mode for mvmnt techniques and char tech

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wait did Gamer's Abbey really sponsor the Smash Brothers: Armada documentary kickstarter thing and donate $2500? Because if so then dang, man, mad respect.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Wait did Gamer's Abbey really sponsor the Smash Brothers: Armada documentary kickstarter thing and donate $2500? Because if so then dang, man, mad respect.
I know business yo. Advertisement that won't go away for quite awhile? Yeah, I'll take it.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
i also think playing a human player is the best option. especially one who's better than you. when you play a person, they will be looking for patterns in your play and will exploit your weaknesses. that's when you'll truly understand your bad habits... when someone can read you and punish you the same way over and over again.

although i will say this. in gaming communities, i notice quite a bit of ego. there is a lot of pride and arrogance for some reason. less so in the smash community than in some other gaming communities, but it's still something to be aware of. i've invited some of my friends who enjoy smash to play with some of the more competitive players, and my friends have expressed to me that it wasn't fun for them since people would seem to constantly point out how much they suck and make them feel pretty worthless. i never minded it too much since i never took it as a personal offense, but depending on how you are, you may need to thicken your skin to prepare for the... how should we say... less-than-constructive feedback.

there are also helpful people in the community though. my friends will miss @Jekyll since his skill was truly impressive yet he didn't seem to puff himself up or bring people down due to the skill gap. i'll miss @ Tuesday Tuesday since he's been super helpful in helping me get familiar with the local scene and helping me learn with his vast knowledge of the game, while never seeming to mind playing me despite him being much better than me. i just thought i'd mention that since i've had those feelings expressed to me and didn't want that to come as a surprise to you as it did with some of my friends :-p.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
i also think playing a human player is the best option. especially one who's better than you. when you play a person, they will be looking for patterns in your play and will exploit your weaknesses. that's when you'll truly understand your bad habits... when someone can read you and punish you the same way over and over again.

although i will say this. in gaming communities, i notice quite a bit of ego. there is a lot of pride and arrogance for some reason. less so in the smash community than in some other gaming communities, but it's still something to be aware of. i've invited some of my friends who enjoy smash to play with some of the more competitive players, and my friends have expressed to me that it wasn't fun for them since people would seem to constantly point out how much they suck and make them feel pretty worthless. i never minded it too much since i never took it as a personal offense, but depending on how you are, you may need to thicken your skin to prepare for the... how should we say... less-than-constructive feedback.

there are also helpful people in the community though. my friends will miss @Jekyll since his skill was truly impressive yet he didn't seem to puff himself up or bring people down due to the skill gap. i'll miss @ Tuesday Tuesday since he's been super helpful in helping me get familiar with the local scene and helping me learn with his vast knowledge of the game, while never seeming to mind playing me despite him being much better than me. i just thought i'd mention that since i've had those feelings expressed to me and didn't want that to come as a surprise to you as it did with some of my friends :-p.
Yea human opponents are the best when available. Tournament sets are even better.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
@ Superw0rri0 Superw0rri0 thanks for setting up to the neumont tournament. had a great time getting more familiar with the local scene. looking forward to more ;-).

@ Tuesday Tuesday @Jekyll @ Tomacawk Tomacawk you're dead to us now ;-)! jk... please come back...

Is there a reason everyone recommends l-canceling to new players? being able to combo is cool and all, but if you're new to competitive play, let's be honest, you're gonna get wrecked by a lot of players and be on the defensive most of the time. that combo you were able to connect in training mode/vs cpus is not gonna be of any use to you when you're opponent is pressuring you so much that you can't even set up the combo (i speak from experience sadly).

i think one of the first things people should do is to follow isai's famous words, "don't get hit". learn spacing and mobility. know how far you need to be from your opponent to *not* get hit. learn your tech options when you hit the stage and the options when you miss the tech. i used a hack the kills me instantly if i roll to break me out of the bad habit of rolling into my opponents and other such nonsense that puts me in a position to be hit by my opponent. this comes with time, but you have to make an effort to notice it.

learn out-of-shield (OoS) options like shield-grabbing. does your character have a good up-b they can do out of shield? what about jump options out of shield like nair or something? wavedash OoS to get yourself out of a predicament?

learn recovery for your character. know how to get back on stage from various distances. know how to mix it up so it's not so predictable (this also applies to getting up from the edge).

you can learn neutral and offensive game options like dash dancing to bait and punish, edge-hogging and other things to do when your opponent is off stage, comboing and tech-chasing to stay on the offensive, etc to keep you from getting bored and such, but i think the defensive skills are what should be focused on the most for beginners who are looking to get into competitive play since that's the situation they'll find themselves in more frequently :-p.
Dis man speaks da troof

Also....
@ Death Arcana Death Arcana and everyone else
Brawl Grand finals 2nd half of second game and third game of the 2nd set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7htKR7R_f4Q

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
WHEN IS THE NEXT TOURNEY??? I am hungry to compete!!!
It's great seeing the thread header updated during the same weekend after a tournament passes.

And it's great that Gamer's Abbey's name is getting out there now. That $6000 gap to the goal was filled all within 24 hours, which was quite surprising to me.

Last edited:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
@ Death Arcana Death Arcana I want to money match you $5 bo5. You down?
Why do people keep thinking this is a good idea? Beating Devon, given his character and play style, is probably more difficult than beating me, yet NOBODY WILL MONEY MATCH ME.

Shout outs to @Hatch Backward for being the only one, agreeing only after picking Mewtwo as my character and FD as the stage lol.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Why do people keep thinking this is a good idea? Beating Devon, given his character and play style, is probably more difficult than beating me, yet NOBODY WILL MONEY MATCH ME.

Shout outs to @Hatch Backward for being the only one, agreeing only after picking Mewtwo as my character and FD as the stage lol.
Cuz u wobblezz looolz...

If I had money I wouldn't mind money matching you

@ net1234 net1234
you should change your name to netTheGuyWhoLikeEveryPost
(watch he's going to like this post and not say anything)

double post :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I have already said, in the thread and in person, I accept money matches against my Fox and Sheik =(

And it's not about the money, either. I'll throw down for any amount. It's just the seriouslies I want to play. I'd MM people better than me no problem, even if I come out at a loss.

Probably because playing against ICs is even worse than playing against Devon.
I only use ICs in money matches if I think the person I'm playing is significantly better than me, or if I genuinely need the money lol.

Last edited:

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!

I'll MM you too den bae
Edit: I'll MM you because Death will be running tourney #notimeforanything

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
what was bad about the parking at neumont? i parked at city creek and thought it was pretty convenient. if i had to bring a set up, then that might be another issue, but i went back and forth between my car and neumont several times throughout the day and didn't think it was much of a problem :-p.

Top Bottom