• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
Hey, everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe meet some people for fests and whatnot. I'm located near Provo. I play mainly Melee and some PM. I've been playing for about a year now, but I'm still definitely a scrub. A couple of friends and I would love to start attending tourneys and smashing with more people. I'd love some info on nearby smashers, regular smashfests, etc. I'd be down to host some fests, too. Oh, yeah. I work in Sandy, so it'd be pretty easy to meet up with SLC people, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Hey, everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe meet some people for fests and whatnot. I'm located near Provo. I play mainly Melee and some PM. I've been playing for about a year now, but I'm still definitely a scrub. Me and a couple of friends would love to start attending tourneys and smashing with more people. I'd love some info on nearby smashers, regular smashfests, etc. I'd be down to host some fests, too. Oh, yeah. I work in Sandy, so it'd be pretty easy to meet up with SLC people, too.
What are you doing today/right now? I'm in Provo. You could come over and play for a bit.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
LOL First two posts after signing up on the boards is a double-posted post.

Anyway, welcome! There's a Smashfest planned this evening in SLC (right by the University of Utah).

I might come. Depends on who else comes, I guess. (Sinz, if you could come, that'd be amazing, since I want to play you some more in P:M!)

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Yeah seriously I would love to get as many people out as possible. I'm also interested in getting into PM, so I'm down for that **** too.

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
Yeah, sorry about that double-post. Haha. I was trying edit my poor grammar... damn it. Tuesday, I'll send you some contact info. What's the info on the fest by the U of U?

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Yeah, sorry about that double-post. Haha. I was trying edit my poor grammar... damn it. Tuesday, I'll send you some contact info. What's the info on the fest by the U of U?
No worries. I live at 20 S 1300 E in SLC. It's a block away from the U. Fest goes from now until whenever.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
That's just cuz her teleport is way too op in P:M. It has like zero lag and you can combo out of it. Something doesn't seem right with that.

But regardless, I'll MM you if you want ;)

I See

Smash Apprentice
The better you get, the harder it is to get better. That's something troll Suarez tells me. Its true though. So if your improving fast, it just means you have a lot of basic stuff to learn still. I don't play melee anyway so I'm not one to talk.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Any P:M players near Brigham City, UT? I'd love to play with another P:M player!
There is a few of us in Logan

PC said:
I might come. Depends on who else comes, I guess. (Sinz, if you could come, that'd be amazing, since I want to play you some more in P:M!)
Thats a pretty long drive bro. I'll try to make it some time but thats pretty far.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
in cedar city we had had an elder's quorum activity smash tourney with all titles except PM. i won brawl but i lost melee and 64 because "everyone wanted items" and "all stages random" pfff casuals

pokefloats, rumble falls, and ice climbers moving mountain stage can all die

i was kinda pissed because the only 1v1 were finals' games the rest were 4 man 4 stock FFA's because there was too many people

Tomacawk

Smash Master
nice to see so many people wanting to play and get together

reminder: smashfest at my place 1pm (don't come early!!) on 2/1/14 is a go. my address is 573 E 1st Ave. Apt #9, SLC, UT, 84103. you can reach me at 8o1 259 5688. looking forward to seeing everyone

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
Dude, Skull Kid, how in the world was that name not taken, like what even.
I was pretty amazed by that myself. Haha.

Tane and everybody I met tonight, thanks for having me. :) It was awesome. I'm definitely going to keep attending. Also, I'm totally open to any suggestions, tips, advise, etc. I know I'm a n00b. Would love to improve.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
in cedar city we had had an elder's quorum activity smash tourney with all titles except PM. i won brawl but i lost melee and 64 because "everyone wanted items" and "all stages random" pfff casuals

pokefloats, rumble falls, and ice climbers moving mountain stage can all die

i was kinda pissed because the only 1v1 were finals' games the rest were 4 man 4 stock FFA's because there was too many people
uhhh Fox city? lol

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Is it possible if i can get some reviews on a couple matches from the Ogden tourney?

I was playing really scrubby and bad that day and I was pretty frustrated with myself. So excuse the occasional expression of anger from me.

Me (Doc) Vs Colus (Marth)
I believe this is Colus. I'll correct it if i need to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KQPIOegB0

Me (Doc) Vs MeleeRuler (Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Az7CjjbfM

I would list off what I noticed from watching these but I'm too tired right now and I might do it later tonight.

Conclusion from watching these:
I was playing really scrubby and my tech skill needs some serious fine tuning. That and I also need to work on fundamentals and match up knowledge (I really didn't know the falco match up but kind of learned it as I played). This includes knowing the strengths and weaknesses of my opponent as well as my self.

Result:
Since that tournament I've been practicing every day both on my own and against other people. Practiced a lot of tech skill and tried to find ways to apply it and worked on my fundamentals as I played with other people. Currently studying frame data and seeing what I can get out of that. Mostly Doc's right now but I'll eventually move on to the other characters. Also studying different common match ups.
Goal #1:
Do not repeat the scrubby performance at that tourney
Goal #2:
Try to practice and study as much as I can and learn from other people
Goal #3:
Kick ass

Edit:
Goal #2.5:
Git gud

Double edit:
Goal #4:
Don't get frustrated and stay calm and chill when I play

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dude items are the best. And FFAs are even better. You can just turtle all game and abuse broken as **** items to 3-5 stock everyone (depending on the game). Games with Items on, all you have to dois not commit to anything too crazy and just control as much of the stage as possible, let your pokemon from the pokeballs be the aggresors! And in FFA, try and only target the people who are away from the crowd and try to stay out of center stage. Dont run in and try and beat up a big group of people, let them all wittle each other down and you just poke at them, beating up anyone who tries to come at you.

BTW, since those replays reminded me, if there are going to be any smashfest during weekdays (not weekends!!) I can go and bring my recording stuff, im willing to record & upload anything. I work weekends so thats why i cant (and dont) go to anything then. Im getting my laptop fixed today cuz that piece of **** is starting to piss me off, so once thats fixed it should be able to actually run the recording software again lol.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i just get horny for danger sometimes ya know?
also is there anything going down next friday/sat/sun in SLC or Provo area? there's this babe on my Facebook looking for a ride up north so im looking for an excuse to take her lmaoooo

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
INB4 FFAs suck...... really hard.... coming from the guy who has to play FFA every day if he wants to play Smash at all.

Begin angry rant:
I'm so sick of FFAs... We have this room called the bunker at our school and it's supposed to be a sound proof room where students can be loud without disturbing the near by classes. Anyway.... all we ever did was play brawl. So I bought a melee set up so me and the 3 others that play melee can play melee on our own. This set up was also set up in the bunker since there is no where else to put it. A couple weeks later the wii's disc reader stopped working.... so what happens? Everyone uses my gamecube to play melee. For 2 months there were melee FFAs and my setup was turned into a ps2 and older generation set up. We were just playing a bunch of FFAs (thankfully no items since people are somewhat smart here when it comes to smash). At first I was fine with this but then I realized I wasn't getting any practice from this and I as a player I was getting worse. SO I just stopped playing the FFAs and I would play on my own with my emulator thanks to a GC controller adapter that I have. It was pretty much like this until 2 weeks ago when I got fed up with this. Being part of the club that is responsible for the bunker and being the owner of my set up I said screw it. I'm putting my set up back together and no one can move it except for the controllers but there must always be at least 2 controllers in the GC except for the end of the day when I bring my controller with me. So now instead of people playing on this other T.V. they're playing on my set up. But this made an affect. Less people are playing cause they want to wait for the wii to come back (which it finally is now) which means I get more time for myself. That and I found out people don't play in the morning from 8-9:30ish and later in the day from 4-5:30ish so I'm still finding time to play! :)

Result:
Much practice was had this last week and my melee has gotten a lot better.

Moral of the story:
Don't play FFAs

End rant

OH AND IF I CAN GET SOME ADVICE ON MY MATCHES THAT WOULD BE GREAT JUT GO UP 2 POSTS

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I'm pretty not that great at giving specific advice, and I only play so much Doc in Melee, but I guess there are a few things I could say. One is that I felt you didn't make enough use of the cape as an edgeguard, and that when you went for back air edgeguards you stayed near the stage as opposed to going out towards the person recovering. Another thing is when you were playing me, you got caught in your shield a lot, and I ended up getting a bunch of grabs off of it.

Also, were those the only two matches recorded?

Top Bottom