• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

MVP

Smash Ace
if this tourny was next week i would've came brought a PM setup

PM-3.0

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
nah dude go get a CRT TV and check it out for yourself its game changing
and wii is not native HD
so a better tv makes a miniscule upgrade in picture quality compared to a decent CRT

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Just so people know, Chris mentioned on his event page that he wasn't banning MK cause Vegas was coming.

And I don't know if they found one, but one of the Vegas players (an MK main) was looking for a good doubles partner.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I get that. It's just that Chris was so set on banning MK despite what any of us said about it since he wanted "the newbies to have fun" (pretty sure Z'z mentioned that Vegas mains MK and such, too), but then suddenly prioritizes Vegas over this.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
you assume too much
you know what if it was a totally different reason hmm??
ive known everything that is going on since before the last tourney
why do you think he hasn't posted that info here for you "tryhards"

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
there ya go falling for chris's post again
and whatever reasoning he wants you to believe
and i find it funny it took you actually talking to vegas to
believe that they are coming
don't you believe whatever chris spoon feeds you???

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I don't care if he has other reasons other than what he tells people. The fact is that is what he said. And you're dumb if you're telling me I shouldn't have talked to Vegas for confirmation after he blatantly lied (even if it was obvious) about who was coming last tournament. Also you're assuming that me not fully believing Chris was the reason I talked to Z (who isn't coming by the way due to having finals), which it wasn't at all. I texted Z and asked if he was coming. Chris just said Vegas was coming, not who would be coming.

You should try thinking more before you talk Devon.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
There are some melee exclusive players around (myself and Tomacawk included),.

I wish I could include myself in this group... I play brawl too much and not enough melee but I'm really serious about melee and although would like to get better at brawl I play it casually.

It's a type of television, similar to LCD, Plasma, OLED, etc.
CRTs are the oldest (and heaviest) of the bunch, but they're the best when it comes to gaming on Gamecube or Wii because I said so.*

*There's actually several reasons for this, but I'm tired and the internet can explain better than I can.

I'll go ahead and finish it for you...

btw if i'm wrong about anything let me know.
basically.... The gamecube was designed for CRTs and really weren't made for other T.V.s mostly because I guess (i'm too young to remember) LCDs and stuff weren't around when the gamecube was made (again i might be wrong on this... too young :/ ) CRTs output video in a 4:3 resolution and that's the resolution the gamecube was made for (I think they output in other resolutions to but from what I've seen it's mostly 4:3). LCDs and these new T.V.s output in a 16:9 resultion and when you hook up a gamecube to it, it has to convert that 4:3 to 16:9 and when this happens it takes a little bit of time for it convert the resolutions, which creates input lag. To me it feels about a 1/8 of a second lagor something on that level and although that number seems small it makes a big difference.

tl;dr it has to convert a 6:3 resolution into a 16:9 resolution and this creates input lag

Tuesday

Smash Ace
So is anyone from Provo or Orem going to that last-minute tourney Devon posted? I kinda want to go, and I'm not really doing anything, but I've never lived anywhere cold before and I'm afraid of driving to SLC in icy conditions :urg:

News reports of wrecks dun got me spooked.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
So is anyone from Provo or Orem going to that last-minute tourney Devon posted? I kinda want to go, and I'm not really doing anything, but I've never lived anywhere cold before and I'm afraid of driving to SLC in icy conditions :urg:

My experience with roads during winter is unless theirs some really bad snow storm, Utah does a pretty good job of keeping snow off the roads so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But then again I'm just some California nooby who's only experienced one Utah winter besides the one we're in right now.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
The roads aren't too bad on the freeway right now, so you should be safe for driving.

EDIT: And driving in the snow isn't really any different than when it's raining: Slow down, watch people, and don't do crazy stuff.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Ya I saw that. Some of the MIOM guys were talking about it and some MLG guys are tweeting discussing Melee, not as a lineup member, but as an event or promotion. Still, if MLG staff is tweeting about melee, it's a good sign.

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Your good Dood. As long as its not wet snow its perfectly fine if your not a dumbass

Tuesday

Smash Ace
OK, guess I'll go. If anyone in the SLC area wants to stop by and play for a bit (even though it's late) I'd appreciate it. Maybe bring some cash for a MM or something.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
do you have any experience controlling your car in drift with minimal traction?
if you can do that and stay calm, you'll be fine
accelerate and break slowly and steadily on wet snow. fast changes in rpm/speed will make you lose control. pay attention to the feel and responsiveness of your car and listen to the sound of your tires

basically drive with focus and without distractions and you're gucci
i'm down to go to this melee **** tonight if you wanna go tuesday

edit-lol i guess we're going then. would you mind picking me up and dropping me off because it's cold as ballzzz

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Ya I can pick you up. Where do you live? Text me 968-0621. That's a 512 area code btw.

Klemintine

Smash Rookie
Hey, new to Smashboards here! I've been playing for years but now I want to get into the tournament scene. Any tips?

p.s. Am I even supposed to be posting stuff here?

Klemintine

Smash Rookie
Haha, I know right! I just finished watching the Smash Brothers docu on youtube and tournaments look like so much fun! Too bad there is nothing going on in Cache Valley but I would totally be willing to drive to Salt Lake for events.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The best tip is to just play more, you learn best from hands on experience.

Besides, in a game as deep as smash, its kind of hard to tell people exactly how to improve without actually playing them.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I take it that since you are posting here after watching the doc, you play melee.

There's a tournament in Provo tomorrow. It's a Brawl tournament, but there will be melee there as well and a couple melee players like me are going to be there. Details should be in the OP I think, or somewhere in this thread. But ya, tomorrow.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
https://www.facebook.com/events/1433313523549219

That's the event page on Facebook. Quick details states $3 venue fee, plus $5 entry fee for Brawl Singles, and $5 per person for Brawl Doubles.

Sign-ups start at noon. I will offer to pick up anyone from the FrontRunner again for the tournament. I'll have to put a time though. Therefore, anyone that can catch the FrontRunner at be at the Provo station at 12:15 PM, I'll pick you up and drop you off at Chris's tourneys. I'd like to not make multiple trips if have to, but am willing. At the end of the day, I'll make sure people will catch the one at 9:50 PM. Again, would not like to make multiple trips if possible.

So, yeah, that's to all people here. If you need to take advantage of that, let me know via PM or text/call at 801-836-nine2nine7. Thanks. Messaging Chris for clarification on the tournament thing.

EDIT: In terms of Melee, Tuesday ran the last side one. It was a $2 entry fee, singles only.

EDIT 2: FrontRunner times and pricing can be found at the following to links -
Times - http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=Bus-BusHome-Route750 (Select Saturday service Northbound or Southbound service for what you need)
Pricing matrix - http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/FrontRunnerFareMatrixApril2013_regular.pdf

EDIT 3: Venue fee is $3.
There it is.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
basically.... The gamecube was designed for CRTs and really weren't made for other T.V.s mostly because I guess (i'm too young to remember) LCDs and stuff weren't around when the gamecube was made (again i might be wrong on this... too young :/ ) CRTs output video in a 4:3 resolution and that's the resolution the gamecube was made for (I think they output in other resolutions to but from what I've seen it's mostly 4:3). LCDs and these new T.V.s output in a 16:9 resultion and when you hook up a gamecube to it, it has to convert that 4:3 to 16:9 and when this happens it takes a little bit of time for it convert the resolutions, which creates input lag. To me it feels about a 1/8 of a second lagor something on that level and although that number seems small it makes a big difference.

tl;dr it has to convert a 6:3 resolution into a 16:9 resolution and this creates input lag
I thought it wasn't so much the aspect ratio but the post-processing to change resolution and whatnot from 480i to 1080p that causes the majority of the lag?

Ironically, I did much more driving today than I have in months. I was driving just as normal, since there wasn't any ice or snow from any of the roads I was on (besides the small road that leads to my house that still hasn't been properly shoveled).
I move to logan january 2nd
Oh snaps! Sinz is coming back!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Wow, lots happened last night.

@Klemintine: Welcome! Logan is now booming with players :)

@Sinz: C-c-c-c-combo breaker! We'll take you back. I guess.

@CRT discussion: Most of the lag is from the resolution "upgrade" really. Some TVs can disable that, but there will still be some display lag (3 FPS) from your button press, as the technology to simply display that image is far different than the technology used in a CRT. For more information, read the wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_lag

Top Bottom