• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Sandfall

Stage Designer
A Smash 64 tournament would be hype. I can see finding setups being an issue, but honestly, we could just use the VC version. I know that version has a few issues, but it's better than not running 64 at all :p

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
I'd even be down to do a 64 tournament on a bunch of laptops with 4 port adaptors. Or on the wiis. Make it happen though plz

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I'm really excited to not go to your lame 64 tournament.

Anyways the tournament was fun, but running two hours over time every tournament is frustrating. Why not just accept that events take longer than a couple hours and schedule that way? Alternatively, start dq'ing X for disappearing every round, going to the bathroom thirteen times per tourney, having five minute conversations between games with his brothers. I had one Idaho player express how much he couldn't stand Chris and one posted about it on Facebook. If TO's want to be community leaders, then do something about people actively making the community worse. Or just keep letting it happen and players will stop traveling here because tournaments go until two in the morning.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I really don't understand what's so complicated about calling a match, forfeiting a game if a player 5 minutes no-shows, DQ after 10 minutes.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
I'm really excited to not go to your lame 64 tournament.

Anyways the tournament was fun, but running two hours over time every tournament is frustrating. Why not just accept that events take longer than a couple hours and schedule that way? Alternatively, start dq'ing X for disappearing every round, going to the bathroom thirteen times per tourney, having five minute conversations between games with his brothers. I had one Idaho player express how much he couldn't stand Chris and one posted about it on Facebook. If TO's want to be community leaders, then do something about people actively making the community worse. Or just keep letting it happen and players will stop traveling here because tournaments go until two in the morning.
The 2 hour delay was mostly due to just me this time; I was running everything on my own and ran into a number of technical difficulties that really caused things to fall behind. Hopefully, after Tim gets everything running on sd cards rather than discs most of these problems will be averted (at least I held it at only 2 hours... right?). As for stopping people, I have come up with an idea: I am thinking of purchasing a large number of cheap digital clocks that will be placed at each setup and set for 10 min. When a match is called, the first person there starts the timer. 5 min = 1st loss, 10 min = DQ, like how it is supposed to be. The TO's cannot keep track of every single station as to who has and has not shown up (especially when I do it alone), but this way things can be handled more smoothly with less worry on the TO side (I do expect the players though to call out for their opponent or let the TO know so that they can call for them again).

As for Chris, I let him get away with it once that I was aware of after starting melee due to having let a @Pumpinz and @ Roguay Roguay get away with it (seriously, if you are going to get food, let me know and give me your numbers so I can have an idea of where you are and let you know that you have a match). However, I started putting a timer on him every time after that, to which he did appear for his match before the first 5 min were up. The way he acted was something that I probably could have stopped if I wasn't running around most of the time. I am sorry @net1234 and @ DuskMarthWater DuskMarthWater for him ejecting the disc while you guys were playing; I gave you guys permission to finish your game, and he took matters into his own hands without me knowing (I thought that you guys got off just to stop hearing both him and Lada whining). I did not know about that until DMW told me later, and that kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. Tim and I will be having a serious discussion on this matter at some point in the near future.

As for scheduling, I usually plan on 3 hours for singles, 2 for dubs, which is often about right, or close enough to the end to allow game overlap. However, I do need help if I am going to be overlapping games (there was almost no way I could run a game while still trying to get another set up). Again, the 2 hour delay was mostly my fault and I am sorry about it.

Anyways, to my shoutouts:

@ Roguay Roguay and @Pumpinz: for doing an awsome job of commentary during melee
@ Shane M Shane M for helping me run things at the end of the day
@ Tsuteto Tsuteto for showing up and helping me push smash 4 along quickly
@ DuskMarthWater DuskMarthWater , @Soupenomics, @IHAN, and DMW's other friend (sorry I forgot your name) for taking the time to come and play with us here in Utah, as well as for the good feedback you gave me
@ Jekyll Jekyll for saving the stream with his capture card
@RVKYS for taking advantage of the 2 hour delay to get in the tournament

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I doubt X will be entering melee or pm from now on since he didn't place in melee and barely took third in pm.

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
Would fox be better with falco shine, laser and dair?
Uh, how would you approach a Fox camping with short hop double lasers? I think Fox would be better with Falco's dair, but I'm not sure how much better he would be with the alternate shine. Fox gets a lot of auto combos like waveshine up smash and waveshine up throw up air that he wouldn't be able to preform with Falco's shine, and he already has plenty of moves that pop up his opponents, i.e. up tilt, up smash, up throw, up air, up b, up up.

C!Z

Smash Lord
In town a couple of days. Not sure how much time I'll have or if Utah still plays Melee lol but are there any fests or tourneys going on before Evo?

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
To all melee fans, competitors, lovers and players in Utah:

Tired of tournaments that go way too late into the night?

Hate getting seeded badly because of #ProvoPrivilege?

Sick of tuning in to a stream, only to see friendlies or no one playing with no commentary?

Are you ready for a real, genuine, homegrown Nortah melee experience?

Then Hold My Johnson and be there as all your tournament dreams become reality through the magic of Nortah Melee.

Nortah Presents: Hold My Johnson
Saturday, August 15th, 2015
Layton Game Den, 719 North Main Street, Layton, UT

Events: Melee Doubles and Singles
Venue Fee $5
Entry Fee $5

Registration will begin at 2:00
Melee Doubles will begin at 3:00
Melee Singles will begin at 5:00

Check the Facebook Event for more details: https://www.facebook.com/events/695087103956827/

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
if i go you better bring a SA2:B disc and $20

hell you better bring that to EVO

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
"I just get so upset over things happening that I have complete control over darn it." - nortah

(the rankings are publicly editable)

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
just to be clear, the front facing rankings are publically editable, but the backend that does all of the calculations for them is not... just to be clear.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
just to be clear, the front facing rankings are publically editable, but the backend that does all of the calculations for them is not... just to be clear, the front facing rankings are publically editable, but the backend that does all of the calculations for them is not... just to be clear, the front facing rankings are publically editable, but the backend that does all of the calculations for them is not... just to be clear, the front facing rankings are publically editable, but the backend that does all of the calculations for them is not... just to be clear, the front facing rankings are publically editable, but the backend that does all of the calculations for them is not... just to be clear, the front facing rankings are publically editable, but the backend that does all of the calculations for them is not... just to be clear.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
In town a couple of days. Not sure how much time I'll have or if Utah still plays Melee lol but are there any fests or tourneys going on before Evo?
Tuesday and Wednesday nights are our weeklies. Tuesday = Game Den, Provo, melee @8:00 PM. Wednesday = 801 Labs, Salt Lake, melee @7:00 PM. If you have questions, can check the first post for links, or call/text me at 801-836-9297 (and for the love of everything, if you text me, put your name please).

@ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 - I have what might be a better idea for the timer. You up for a after wednesday tourney talk?

About power rankings - I'm listening, but at this point, I think the concerns are pointed out. Basically, too long, want a reset, out of staters, all that jazz. I'm going to request that if you have concerns about the power rankings at this time, shoot me a PM on here (not Facebook, I don't need that to be bloated).

About misconduct - I have thoughts for future tournaments that I'll be discussing with bellsworth. It IS over the top with certain things, and I am personally ashamed to also be a part of it in various instances. I shall spend time looking things over to combat this, so the community can be better as a whole.

Other things - Have issues with people/happenings/processes? PM me, please. I can read them here, but sometimes the discussion can start sending mixed signals as to who feels what. Let me know what your concerns are, and I'll do my best to either dissuade them, or tackle them if relevant.

Once you've had your say in a PM, go remember Iwata. I do have a busy work schedule for the next two weeks, but also feel more apt to tackle both it and the scene again after my own... personal issues, if we may leave it at that.

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
No matter what your power ranking or seeding is, you're still going to have to play the majority of good players at whatever smash event you go to if you expect to get 1st. Just because you get higher seeding doesn't mean you won't have to play Net, PC, Jekyll, X, or any other of our top players by the end of the bracket.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
No matter what your power ranking or seeding is, you're still going to have to play the majority of good players at whatever smash event you go to if you expect to get 1st. Just because you get higher seeding doesn't mean you won't have to play Net, PC, Jekyll, X, or any other of our top players by the end of the bracket.
But you have to play them earlier or play more of them. By this logic, why seed at all?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
About power rankings - I'm listening, but at this point, I think the concerns are pointed out. Basically, too long, want a reset, out of staters, all that jazz. I'm going to request that if you have concerns about the power rankings at this time, shoot me a PM on here (not Facebook, I don't need that to be bloated).
Put me #1 on the rankings pls, you know i deserve it baby plus it wont effect seeding cuz im never there hue

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
Tuesday and Wednesday nights are our weeklies. Tuesday = Game Den, Provo, melee @8:00 PM. Wednesday = 801 Labs, Salt Lake, melee @7:00 PM. If you have questions, can check the first post for links, or call/text me at 801-836-9297 (and for the love of everything, if you text me, put your name please).

@ bellsworth46 bellsworth46 - I have what might be a better idea for the timer. You up for a after wednesday tourney talk?

About misconduct - I have thoughts for future tournaments that I'll be discussing with bellsworth. It IS over the top with certain things, and I am personally ashamed to also be a part of it in various instances. I shall spend time looking things over to combat this, so the community can be better as a whole.

Other things - Have issues with people/happenings/processes? PM me, please. I can read them here, but sometimes the discussion can start sending mixed signals as to who feels what. Let me know what your concerns are, and I'll do my best to either dissuade them, or tackle them if relevant.

Once you've had your say in a PM, go remember Iwata. I do have a busy work schedule for the next two weeks, but also feel more apt to tackle both it and the scene again after my own... personal issues, if we may leave it at that.
For real tho, our scene is pretty dope. For really only having a decent melee scene for about 6+ months, I think we've got good TO's, tons of homies, and one of the best streams in the biz. The few times that crap from our stream has made it to the front page of reddit, everyone compliments how good our stream looks. For as much as people could complain about crap at tournies, or lame smashers who's tags are letters of the alphabet (definitely not referring to anyone in specific), I'm glad our scene has gotten to where it's at.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Have you checked the rankings as of late you can't edit them.
apparently @ DrPhantasma DrPhantasma changed the permissions of the google sheet. i changed them back so anyone can edit.

Tired of tournaments that go way too late into the night?

Hate getting seeded badly because of #ProvoPrivilege?

Sick of tuning in to a stream, only to see friendlies or no one playing with no commentary?
dude, seriously why all the hate? i feel like it's beyond a joke and you legitimately think central utah is actively against nortah or something :-p.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
But you have to play them earlier or play more of them. By this logic, why seed at all?
Having to play fewer opponents is the main benefit of having a higher seed. Having a lower seed means that you most likely won't get a bye and you're more likely to drop into the (longer) loser's bracket earlier in the tournament. Sure, you'll end up playing more high-seeded opponents, but that's only because you end up playing more opponents in general.

Anyone who thinks they're legitimately mis-seeded needs to make it their business to show up to more events. If you're consistently beating higher-seeded opponents, then you'll earn a higher seed and an easier tournament. You're only going to climb in the ratings by beating people above you, and the more you events you attend, the more chances you have to do that.

On a similar note, all Nortah fast-fallers should DEFINITELY make it their business to come try to grind out this Luigi matchup, lest ye want to continue getting bopped.:luigimelee:

Last edited:

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
So I'm going to start attending the provo weeklies here and I had a few questions. How much does it cost (all fees such as venue and tourney entry), what time does smash 4 start, and if there is a place to easily find all this info that would be fine as well

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
So I'm going to start attending the provo weeklies here and I had a few questions. How much does it cost (all fees such as venue and tourney entry), what time does smash 4 start, and if there is a place to easily find all this info that would be fine as well
Here is the link to our google doc that has everything on it (most everything can be found on the first post as well): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1alpl7HGXELk9OJZ7eXTt95QPDjNXbgJTPk6_YY4cVWw/edit#gid=0

What's the turn out usually like for the Provo tourney?
Depends on the game and week , but expect around 15 people per game min

Top Bottom