• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Smash Journeyman
dude there's a handful of us here in cedar, and the st george guys travel up here too! are you on our southern utah smash facebook group? and also do you go to suu? i run the smash club there
Hi, I'm that ICs player that comes to your weeklies. I'm not on facebook so if you want to help me get some information from people in the group regarding games and scheduling that would be great. I'll try to have all the details worked out by Thursday before smash club.

Dr. Friday

Smash Cadet
Hey so for Friday at USU my number is 8017190115, anybody is welcome to come, just text me if you can come and I can let you inside.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Hi, I'm that ICs player that comes to your weeklies. I'm not on facebook so if you want to help me get some information from people in the group regarding games and scheduling that would be great. I'll try to have all the details worked out by Thursday before smash club.
I really wish Southern Utah used Smashboards.

Facebook is convenient, but I'm already so careful about what I post on there most of the time. I don't like how the group broadcasts all my posts to all my friends.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
my man! had no idea it was you haha

yeah dude let me know what's what by thursday i want to help. dallas should hook you up with anything fb group related because he's on there too but if you want to know anything specific then let me know

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
I really wish Southern Utah used Smashboards.

Facebook is convenient, but I'm already so careful about what I post on there most of the time. I don't like how the group broadcasts all my posts to all my friends.
i'm pretty sure the group doesnt do that because it's a closed group. it should only broadcast it to your friends that are already in there. are you in it though?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Hey have we got a need for wii us/GC adapters and smash 4 at Provo tonight? I can bring one but I can't bring a monitor, riding the bus up.

Last edited:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
i'm pretty sure the group doesnt do that because it's a closed group. it should only broadcast it to your friends that are already in there. are you in it though?
I am. All my posts get likes and replies from friends that aren't in the group. Did you recently close it?

Edit: Nope, says Public group. But like, obviously you want people to see it and be able to join on their own, you know?

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
@ N nqztv I can respect that, it does look good full screened, but it should probably be stretched anyway :p I'm sure whatever the video codec and twitch are doing is worse. I also tried my hand at making a stream layout that I hope you will have a look at.
Source: (I exported the PSD from gimp http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ ) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178954225/overlaysource.zip
Here is the exported PNG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178954225/streamoverlayexport.png
(I had a lot of time today)
Also, to anyone else, please download and edit it and make it better

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
these were the days man
we should have tourneys at this location again or weeklies
Smash Haven 2 Singles
18 Entrants
1/15/11
$8

[COLLAPSE="Bracket"]

1: Yaz :metaknight:
2: Lada :rob:
3: Dark Ryu :diddy:
4: Staz :wario: :falco:
5: Tsuteto :zelda:
5: Mars :sheik:
7: Gangstakirby :fox: :kirby2:
7: deathbysuarez :toonlink:
9: Rockmix :ness2:
9: Z'zgashi :yoshi2:
9: XDDD :wolf: :metaknight: :snake:
9: Final63 :peach: :yoshi2:
13: Sephiroth :marth:
13: Skarmflames :fox: :luigi2:
13: Chain :pikachu2:
13: Kill :falco:
17: TWD :gw:
17: Baggins :olimar:

I dont remember who Chain uses, if anyone knows let me know.

Ill post other tournament results later.[/collapse]

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Id totally start hosting stuff there again if only my life wasnt busy as **** lol.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
I am. All my posts get likes and replies from friends that aren't in the group. Did you recently close it?

Edit: Nope, says Public group. But like, obviously you want people to see it and be able to join on their own, you know?
no i didnt recently close it, but i understand. you're heath right? and we've met before at your fest in st. george?

Baky

Smash Journeyman
@ Roguay Roguay What you uploaded is very pixelated and looks like it has a low PPI.

Also, changing the color doesn't make it "better". It also looks like you jacked with the levels a bit too much.

I don't agree with either of you guys use of the logos either. Its important to learn when other elements in a design takes away from what you intend to be the centerpiece, which is, in this case, the gameplay.

And also, if you intend to do any graphics professionally in the future, you should know that you don't change logos. You can ask the owner if you can change it and if they say no, you don't. And since I'm speaking about amateur mistakes, I'd like to note that you don't give the logos any breathing room from the left or right edges which is a common design flaw. Some empty space can often lead toward a good design.

Lastly... you guys should be providing working files with VECTORS if you intend for other people to edit it. Working with a bunch of flat and rasterized images if there is a better alternative is a no-go.

And for you businesses out there, its very important that you have vectors of your logo. When I used to work with clients that would only provide JPEG images, I'd want to shoot myself.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Hey anybody in the Logan/USU area want to chill and play some smash this Friday? I have a melee setup but any smash is welcome! I live on campus in the LLC building E, if people are interested I can give you guys my number so you can get in. Anybody welcome! Was thinking about starting about 6:00 pm and ending whenever.
I live on campus as well, so I'd definitely be down for that. I'm pretty scrubby though, so be warned :p

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
@ Roguay Roguay What you uploaded is very pixelated and looks like it has a low PPI.

Also, changing the color doesn't make it "better". It also looks like you jacked with the levels a bit too much.

I don't agree with either of you guys use of the logos either. Its important to learn when other elements in a design takes away from what you intend to be the centerpiece, which is, in this case, the gameplay.

And also, if you intend to do any graphics professionally in the future, you should know that you don't change logos. You can ask the owner if you can change it and if they say no, you don't. And since I'm speaking about amateur mistakes, I'd like to note that you don't give the logos any breathing room from the left or right edges which is a common design flaw. Some empty space can often lead toward a good design.

Lastly... you guys should be providing working files with VECTORS if you intend for other people to edit it. Working with a bunch of flat and rasterized images if there is a better alternative is a no-go.

And for you businesses out there, its very important that you have vectors of your logo. When I used to work with clients that would only provide JPEG images, I'd want to shoot myself.
lmao please keep going.

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
dallas should hook you up with anything fb group related because he's on there too but if you want to know anything specific then let me know
Like hell I will.

Nah, I'm on it.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i honestly got alot better since we last played months ago so i'd be down for a MM sometime! also have you been making it to Kevin's weeklies he's been holding? it's PM and Melee. but this weekend it looks like he's willing to combine with us in cedar and @ 941 941 's event. people are looking to carpool so maybe we can get rides worked out

@ Blues17 Blues17
ayy lmao

Last edited:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I pretty much work every Friday night, so no.

And I'd totes do a money match with adlp. As long as it was Melee or Smash 4. I swear PM is different every time I play it.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
thanks again to all those who came out to the game den weekly. if you missed the stream or want to rewatch any of the matches from the stream, either check out the past broadcasts on twitch or check out the gamer's abbey youtube page:

melee tournament playlist
smash for wii u tournament playlist

sorry about the lack of layout for the wii u tournament. it was unplanned, so a stream layout was not created for it :-p. next week i'll try to have something prepared. and thanks for the continued comments about stream!

@ SoapSuds SoapSuds thanks for creating the layout. i'm still not a fan of resizing the source video, though :-p. the resultant blurred video would just look jarring next to the crisp lines of the layout and text. often times, when you add text or something crisp to a video in post, you'd add a guassian blur or something to match the video. but since obs can't do that, i'd just prefer not to resize and blur the video. but we'll see, if people really want me to resize, i'll just bite my lip or something :-p.
@ Roguay Roguay yes, that actually was the official logo for game den :-p.
@ Baky Baky seriously, why doesn't anyone ever give me vector images to work with :-/?

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
After making it I kinda realized that you should probably do your own thing and that cloning vgbc isn't really going to help anyone. And you're right, the video does look crisp when viewing at source quality, the only problems come from lower qualities (even on mobile you can zoom in), but yolo. It would be interesting to compare the non resized video to resized video after encoding, which I would probably do if I had a capture card, but I don't.

When I was watching the stream was dropping a lot of frames, which is bad. This vod http://www.twitch.tv/gamersabbey/b/595130650 around 1:30 is dropping loads of frames and you can clearly see the issue.

@ Baky Baky @ Roguay Roguay @me highschool photoshop skillz ftw.
@ N nqztv Thanks for caring about the stream,
TL;DR do w/e with the layout - non resized video probably does look better - watch out for dropped frames. Also can you link your youtube? Do any matches go up there?

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone. This is what I'm thinking for the tournament schedule (all of this is still subject to change so any feedback is welcome):

Saturday 12/06/14-
Project M set-up and friendlies (6:00)
Project M singles (7:00)

After Project M, we can move on to Smash 4 or Melee depending on set-ups and popular opinion.

Last edited:

wangston

Smash Lord
So what is the deal with the game den weeklies now? How often is each tourney and what is the fee?

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
we'll be maintaining the same schedule of alternating between melee and pm with melee always being on the first week of the month. if we get enough people and enough setups, we'll also try to do a smash 4 wii u tournament after the scheduled tournament each week. the utah smash events google doc has all this information available.

also, since @ Tsuteto Tsuteto is providing the benq gaming monitors, we no longer need people to lug their crts out. we will stop waiving the venue fee for crt setups, and in place, waive the fee if you bring a wii u, smash 4, and a gamecube adapter.

also, just as early notice, we will probably be changing the fees again pretty soon (probably starting in january). we'll probably separate the venue fee and tournament buy-in again since the original fee can't cover prize payouts for multiple tournament. thinking about $5 venue and a $5 buy-in for each tournament you want to participate in. please provide input if you have questions or concerns about this. inflation... expect it ;-).

also, is vegas still doing something this weekend and is anyone actually planning on going?

Last edited:

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Hey guys, got a new venue(more spacious) for weeklies tomorrow.

Hastings: 340 E 525 N, Ogden, UT 84404

Starts every Thursday 5 - 10:30

We will be running bracket. $3 for bracket entry no venue fee. This week it's Project Melee next week will be Melee

BRING SETUPS IF YOU CAN PLZ.

Hope to see you guys there peace.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Anyone wanna just come over and have fun playing 8 player smash (all GCC) on a big TV?

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Hello everyone. This is what I'm thinking for the tournament schedule (all of this is still subject to change so any feedback is welcome):

Saturday 12/06/14-
Project M set-up and friendlies (6:00)
Project M singles (7:00)

After Project M, we can move on to Smash 4 or Melee depending on set-ups and popular opinion.
how late are we allowed to play?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
thanks again to all those who came out to the game den weekly. if you missed the stream or want to rewatch any of the matches from the stream, either check out the past broadcasts on twitch or check out the gamer's abbey youtube page:

melee tournament playlist
smash for wii u tournament playlist

sorry about the lack of layout for the wii u tournament. it was unplanned, so a stream layout was not created for it :-p. next week i'll try to have something prepared. and thanks for the continued comments about stream!

@ SoapSuds SoapSuds thanks for creating the layout. i'm still not a fan of resizing the source video, though :-p. the resultant blurred video would just look jarring next to the crisp lines of the layout and text. often times, when you add text or something crisp to a video in post, you'd add a guassian blur or something to match the video. but since obs can't do that, i'd just prefer not to resize and blur the video. but we'll see, if people really want me to resize, i'll just bite my lip or something :-p.
@ Roguay Roguay yes, that actually was the official logo for game den :-p.
@ Baky Baky seriously, why doesn't anyone ever give me vector images to work with :-/?
out of curiousity whatever happened to the GSR videos

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
twitch no longer keeps vods indefinitely :-p. i think i still have a copy of them on my computer if you want them though.

wangston

Smash Lord
10$?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sooooooo much money for a weekly!!!!! I would still be fine paying 5$ for a weekly. I have no wii u or smash 4 so no waived fee for me. Might have to go inactive again............................ Or host tourneys at my place on weekdays, the only thing is it's hard to get even 12 people to come to a house tourney.

edit. I wouldn't host anything I don't want to have people to chose between tourneys during the week. Also I don't to make the already established tourney smaller by stealing players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom