• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Diddy's up-b as bombs?

Squipy

Smash Cadet
I've noticed that when you're charging your up-b while not in the air, the barrel that was not hit gets projected around an in awkward and seemingly random manner. I think that the direction that one is holding the control stick somehow influences the barrel's direction. Sometimes the barrel can fly directly back at the enemy hitting you and deal a significant amount of damage.

I think that if you can harness the direction of the barrels, wouldn't this be an amazing team battle strategy? It deals great % and is hardly avoidable.

Scala

Smash Ace
The barrels just fly around randomly when they get hit. I was trying this out about a month ago by trying to use the rocket barrels as a counter (trying to get my opponent to hit them) and having them blow up.

It worked about half of the time. I found I had less knockback when he hit the barrels and he got hit fairly hard. But, getting the timing right is difficult, and if you opponent sees what you're planning, he'll just wait and you'll go shooting off way high into the air and then he gets a free hit on you as you fall.

I decided it wasn't worth it, but I suppose you might find otherwise.

Squipy

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I thought about that. But in a team battle with team attack on, you could have one charge the barrels while the other one jabs.

From the first part though, how the barrels fly randomly, voids the whole idea =P
Thanks! :]

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah... pretty much everyone knows that... and yeah... they're random.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
I purposely allow my opponent to hit me while charging my rocketbarrel boost so that there's a possibility of them getting hit by the runaway barrel. I do this by attempting to spike them while trying to get back on the ledge. Either they'll hit me, allowing the barrels to fly, or they get spiked, because I charge until their invincibility frames are over.

Squipy

Smash Cadet
It really does seem like it's possible to change the trajectory of the barrels somehow. I don't know whether it's from DI, how long the up-b is charged, the direction Diddy was facing while charging the up-b, or how Diddy is facing after the barrels are in flight.

I was trying it out yesterday on FD during 4 player brawls and noticed that when I jumped around and jammed the joy stick in one direction, the barrels followed stranger paths. Some barrels can even stay up for around 8 seconds it seems, looping around from one side of final destination to the other.

However, without moving after being hit the barrels fly in a regular path and usually not being airbourne for over 4 seconds.

Does anyone else notice this or am I just hallucinating =P

People are saying it's random, but I'm going to experiment more on when I get home for self-assurance.

Emo-030

Smash Rookie
I don't think its completely random, you cant control all directions where the barrels are going, but i noticed there is a moment while being hurt during charging the barrels you can control the direction a bit.. But im not sure at this point. I will try this in this weekend and hope to get a positive result ^^

Top Bottom