• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses for PK Freeze? Help needed.

Suway

Smash Rookie
Hey,
So I've been maining Lucas for a while now, and I think I'm getting pretty good at playing him.
But I can't seem to find any good applications for his PK Freeze, and I don't like the sight of a non-used special.
Using it on an aerial attacker usually ends up with them airdodging it and then punishing me.
I've also been watching alot of Lucas videos from pretty good people. (In my eyes at least.)
And I hardly ever see them use it.(Let alone hit someone with it.)
Is Freeze just a bad special or can someone give me tips or something for applications during fights?

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
i personally almost never use pk freeze, and the ony time ill use it is if they are off stage. to me pk thunder is more effective if they are off stage try and air dodge it

edit: lawl fable 2

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
I use freeze every once in a while. But the other PK's are much better in almost every situation. But I do use it right after I die during those invincibility frames so I cant get punished.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
use it for edge guard, specially vs recoveries like fox and ike's side b
if the opponent is in the air, press B but don't hold it, the enemy will air dodge and you can receive him with a jab combo, pk freeze has low lag after using it

pyrimadines

Smash Apprentice
Like Pro said, PK Freeze does not have a lot of lag to it which is nice.
I use it in two situations: as an edgeguarding technique when I want to change it up from PKT, and as a baiting tool. I judge the distance between my opponent and myself then I do a short PK Freeze or a drawn out PK Freeze depending on whether I can use it space a little. My opponent can't resist just running in to abuse the lag, but by that point I'm already waiting and can attack with a jab or jab-canceled combo.

Levitas

the moon
I use it if I predict an aerial approach. Otherwise make sure it hits their sheild, that gives you enough time to start a jab combo before they hit you.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Against reflectors, throwing PK freezes is safer than PK thunders (when they are offstage)... Reflecting the PK freeze opens you up to move... reflecting a thunder leaves you helpless.

I'm not a huge fan of PK freeze but it isn't completely useless, just VERY situational.
(ledge guard PK freeze spikes are awesome though)

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
i rarely use it, even when there off the stage.
if the opponents percentage is high and it'll be a guarenteed ko, i'll hit them with it.
if not, i wont use it because it'll send them upwards and aid their recovery. so yeah i dont like it too much.

Levitas

the moon
I don't use it as an edgeguard. (except sometimes on fox illusions/falco phantasms, but don't tell)

I use it as a defensive yomi device that sometimes kinda works sorta.

Irsic

Smash Ace
It's easy to predict peoples air dodges and follow them with the Freeze and then catch them as the air dodge ends.

PK Freeze really pressures people offstage because...even while the ability is easy to dodge, ...you still have to dodge it. It's a scary *** attack to be hit with too because you're basically stuck and Lucas is free to harass you, or it can stage spike you, and I've gotten Snake before at a relatively low %.

Also, low ending lag, etc. Bait, etc. It's not a bad skill, don't overuse it though or you'll get punished.

Top Bottom