• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Username origins thread

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I tend to think of stories all the time but I have issues thinking of names. So names I use tend to be names of other characters from various things that I have watched/played. However, every few years or so, I will find a name that appeals and I will keep it and prevent myself from seeing the character that the name was originally associated with as the original of that name, and more of a person who shares that name. This name essentially becomes a part of me since it ends up being the name that I use for everything until I find a new name that appeals even more to me.

Saito just happens to be the main male name that is currently on my list and has been since Pokemon Platnium version came out in 2009.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Back in the year of 0001 A.D., Q the first was born. He was a corn farmer who made millions off of his garlic bread recipe (still used today in various Italian restaurants). His son, Q the second (also known by his nickname as George Washington) became the first president of the United States. Now you may be asking "But Q the seven million seven hundred seventy seven thousand seven hundred seventy seventh! How could Q the second of been the first president if he was born in 0087 A.D.?" Good question! He was president of the Marshian U.S. Skip a few years to 0545 when Q the seventh became the first living being to inhabit Earth. On arrival of the new planet, he used his son's invention known as "Super Smash Bros. 64" to fill the land with life. I was born in 7638 A.D. where the war between the Magikarps and the Marsians still rages on. I've been sent back in time to find the legendary Shin F. and use his almighty kung-fu powers to defeat the lesser gamers and stop the Magikarp uprising.
This is so bad it is the best story on here.

I'm tearing up...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Sega, Nintendo, and Ubisoft, are my 3 favorite video game companies, so I decided to put the names together. Not the most creative of names, but I've stuck with it for quite a while.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I used to play runescape, and back in like 2008 or so, I invented a new kind of character build (a Summoning Tank for those familiar [funny I should say familiar]) designed for PvP, based around the newest skill at the time (Summoning, for those who care). It turned out I was like the third or fourth person to independantly come to this idea, but I thought I was the first at the time. Level for level it had the highest potential damage output, survivability, and team utility of any kind of dedicated PKing/Dueling build. I was so impressed by my idea, that when I made it, I wanted the name to be something memorable and unique because of my high hopes for the account, and I had the concept oxymorons stuck on my mind at the time, and the character limit was 12, so it just seemed right that I should use the oxymoron DrinkingFood. Drinking in this case is actually meant to be a gerund, which for anyone uninformed, is a verb in present tense for used as an adjective to describe a noun, Food is the noun it is describing. Much like "running shoes", where running is the the adjective gerund and shoes is the noun. People often think my name describes an action, which doesn't matter to me. But when DrinkingFood isn't available, first I suffer a brief identity crisis, then I use "TheDrinkingFood" as an homage to the phrase's original identity as a gerund+noun combo rather than a verb+predicate nomnative. That's what I have on YouTube (as well as "DRINKINGF00D" which has gone unused for years) and XBL (probably also an account that won't see much use), and will probably try to use on Twitter when next I think about it (currently @drinkingfood1, unfortunately).

My avatar was made to adhere to my name, over 9000 hours in paint

SSS

Smash Ace
I've never wanted my name to be something stupid like xXPrinceofShadows69696969Xx, and as a child I had a lot of stupid usernames that I later realized were irrelevant 2 years after. So I decided to base my username off of something that stays constant, so I made it after my real name. The cool thing about my real name is that it's Sawyer Scott Stahl, so all of my initials are S. So I decided to make it SSS. Of course almost every website requires at least 4 characters or something, and SSS is almost always taken, so I came up with four numbers (7527) to add to the end, really just because I like 52 (because I like card games and I like doing card magic and I just think cards are cool) and 7 seemed like a couple of pretty numbers to frame it. Also 5+2=7. This is actually the first website where I've been able to use SSS sans 7527.

However, it is not my Smash tag, simply because I live in SoCal. SoCal has melee tournaments at the Super Arcade, and they are called Super Smash Sundays, SSS for short. Very quickly I realized that SSS would not do at a tag, especially when the tournament I most commonly go to is called SSS. It'd be like making your Smash name ApexEvo. I even had people asking if they named the tournament after me. No. They did not. I am a scrub. I am not good enough to have a tournament named after me.

Still wanting my Smash tag to be based after my name, I settled on a new one. My whole life, people have called me Soy Sauce, because of my name, Sawyer. I've gotten Soy Bean and Soy Milk, but Soy Sauce is most common. And yes, I do get asked "like Tom Sawyer?" an obnoxiously large amount, and yes, I do sometimes rock the Melee name "Tom" (also $$$ as a throwback to my abandoned Smash tag). Anyway, since people called me Soy Sauce, I made it my tag. However, I wanted to incorporate even more of name into it, and retain that Triple-S pride that my initials have given me, so I changed the C in Soy Sauce to an S, and capitalized all of the S's, making it SoySauSe. That way the SSS is evident.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Wu-Tang Clan is one of my favorite groups. The leader of the Wu is the RZA (Ruler-Zig Zag Zig-Allah). Other prominent member of the Wu-Tang is the GZA (Genius -Zig Zag Zig - Allah).
Either cause I play Ness, or because my name starts with an N, I chose to go with the NZA. It is worth noting that the other two letters of the RZA/GZA have meaning to me.

The letter "Z" in 5 percenter symbology is immensely important (5 percenters are a "religious" offshoot of the nation of islam). Z to five percenters abbreviates "Zig Zag Zig", which describes the path “from Knowledge, to Wisdom, to Understanding” and is a reminder that this path is not straightforward, but cuts back and forth, and can pull the seeker’s life with it. That always seemed like some Triforce **** to me, with the knowledge, wisdom, understanding focus. The Allah is important to me because I was raised Muslim. So I guess the NZA stands for Ness/(my name) Zig-Zag-Zig Allah.

ZeroFactorial

Smash Rookie
I got my name because I am a spectacular nerd, and "0!=1" ( or "1=0!") is the only interesting mathematical statement which can fit in four character spaces. In brawl, I would play 4!=24, but I am a melee player primarily. So it just kind of stuck. I only use that in my gaming tag, though. I have different tags everywhere.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I actually don't know. I could never find a good username, and for about a year I wandered Smashboards as a guest, until the Clone Engine came about and I wanted to contribute to the thread, so I came up with something quick. I came up with AndAlsoAndy since it sounded alliterative. I don't like it too much but I'm gonna use it here.

I'll probably get it changed though sometime soon/whenever I feel like making a new account on another site.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Not sure if it is something I should type here, since it's a pretty gruesome tale, so I'll just give the basic rundown.

When I was in high school (a long time ago), I had a very idealistic, kind of screwed up view of justice and terribly low self-esteem. Since I felt worthless at the time, I seldom ever defended myself unless I felt my life was on the line. I would take severe punishment even if I had learned to defend myself. However, when it was other people being the target of bullying, I would either get in the way and fight for the victim's sake or literally hunt the bullies down and find out what their weaknesses were and threaten them with it. The threats were a good way to end things without having to fight. I've even gone as far as building a file with solid evidence to threaten the school with a "Criminal negligence" legal charge. I was going through pretty hard stuff and well, the school was not helping. Realizing over time that the adults whose job were to protect us wouldn't do anything to help, and being disgusted with how easily bullies got away with things, I started to embrace a sort of "hero" fantasy. I was convinced that I couldn't trust anyone to deal with the situations and that if I wanted justice done, I had to do it myself. I never tried to get revenge on anyone who wronged me... that goes against my nature, but I never turned a blind eye on seeing intimidation in front of my eyes. I ended up becoming a loner because of that and pushing people away because my life had become rather too dangerous to allow for any additional weaknesses and distractions.

I saw myself as a sort of Batman, a hero fighting against an incompetent system, but it really was just me trying to justify my solitude, depressive mood and social anxiety. I needed to prove my worth to myself.

I grew up, left high school and I don't have to deal with this anymore. I don't fight anymore, neither do I want to fight ever again. I never liked it in the first place, and nothing good ever comes from a life of violence. I gained much maturity and no know that I have some degree of worth.

However, I don't regret the things I have done. I now use my experience to help bullying victims deal with their issues. I still actively condemn organisms who turn a blind eye on intimidation and I consider it my duty to do my part in sensibilizing people so people who did not necessarily have my mental fortitude don't do anything regretful.

And so, Vigilante is more of an idealization of what I want to be. A man of strong ideals. Now however, I try to change things from within society rather that outside of it.
You must had such an interesting high school life, and a part of me sometimes dreamed that I'd get the opportunity to be a guardian of some kind, and to do what others often turn away from. I just can't stand to see troublemakers and offenders go unpunished, and for this, I commend you. Your story and your namesake is a true inspiration. Never give up the good fight!

And as for my name, Han Ames is the main character of my adventure/fantasy story that I've been writing for a long time. But if I really can change my user name, I'd just probably change it to Ames.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
THE YEAR WAS 18 B.C.! Q the eighth fought in the battle of Rome using his trusty Excalibur (The name of his flying, fire shooting, rapping horse) but was wounded in battle. He suffered major brain damage and changed into a completely new person. He later became the leader of a biker gang who played Call of Duty all day instead of actually being a biker gang. Q the ninth knew he had to set his dad back onto the path of justice so he called for the help of Sobliminal and Shadow the Hedgehog.... needless to say, they weren't of much help.

Korrag

Smash Cadet
NNID
Korrag
Wow I'm surprised some other people got their names started on RuneScape as well. So the story goes that one day back in the 90's when I was around 6 or so some friends were dropped off at my house to just hang out, or play as we 6 year olds called it. One of my friends got this cool idea at the time to hide something in the house we called the energy core, although we spelled it kore because we thought it was cool. We ended up using a dish rag as the kore because we were in the kitchen and I guess it was the first thing that we grabbed. We had Nerf guns and plastic swords and stuff to defend it from the other team and needless to say the game was fun when you're around 5.

Years later in 2001 I started playing RuneScape and made a account with the suggested name it gave me because young me didn't know I could change it, later in 2005 when that account got hacked from a backstabbing friend I made a new account with a name based off that old game from my childhood, Korrag, and eventually it came to be my name pretty much everywhere online.

A little cool note is I made the name in 2005, 1 year later power rangers made a character with a similar name, which I often get asked if that is where my name comes from.

Bero

Smash Journeyman
Bero is colloquial style of "tongue" in Japanese.
It's very easy to remember thanks to its length and unstylishness so I have used this.
It doesn't mean anything more than that.

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
When I was 14, I was really into World of Warcraft and I was playing with a guild for about a year at that time. I made a joke about literally ****ing a cat. so I stuck with that name.

for those who don't speak french, It means Big Cat :)

Sebovich

Smash Apprentice
Played a lot of Red Alert 2 when it came out, and I grew an interest in Russia and the Soviet Union. From that, my real name was mixed with the stereotypical "vich"-ending many russian names supposedly has. A random guy from class just called me that one day and I liked it so it stuck with me. :)

Vigilante

Smash Lord
You must had such an interesting high school life, and a part of me sometimes dreamed that I'd get the opportunity to be a guardian of some kind, and to do what others often turn away from. I just can't stand to see troublemakers and offenders go unpunished, and for this, I commend you. Your story and your namesake is a true inspiration. Never give up the good fight!

And as for my name, Han Ames is the main character of my adventure/fantasy story that I've been writing for a long time. But if I really can change my user name, I'd just probably change it to Ames.
Thanks, that is very kind of you :). I'm also into writing, so I hope that will go smoothly for you.

Bero is colloquial style of "tongue" in Japanese.
It's very easy to remember thanks to its length and unstylishness so I have used this.
It doesn't mean anything more than that.
You could get a PMBR banner under your username Bero if you want, not sure you were aware :p.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I figured I needed some type of name and I liked how when you play normal matches the little red P1 icon pops up which stands for player one. I figured I'd do a player type thing and so I thought of doing something like player 5 since the game only goes up to 4 players but I figured that was pretty generic. I then thougt about 0 and after thinking that I remembered -0 isn't an actual number so I figured I'd do that.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
It's basically the question where C. Falcon's metagame revolves around on every level (in Melee and Project M).

It's (obviously) also a fusion of the famous quote from William Shakespeare's play Hamlet (To be or not to be) and C.Falcon's primary KOing move in Melee and Project M that attained meme status (Knee of justice).

So, in short, it's a pun containing a quote, a meme and a deeper meaning in that it conveys Falcon's Melee and Project M metagame. I don't like how the last 'e' falls on the second line nowadays though, back in the day this wasn't the case

Ultimate Sneeze

Smash Apprentice
When I tried League of Legends, I wanted to come up with a silly name that would make people smile when they saw it. This was literally the first thing that I thought of, and it worked, so I kept it.

After I stopped playing League, I kept using it online because even if nobody else likes it, it still amuses me.

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
My friend and I were coming up with tags, his is was all ready pretty well established so we were brainstorming for me. "Jake" just wasn't cutting it. So I said (over IM) I could be JWeezy, then out to show my sarcasm I followed up with this emoticon : -__- My friend laughed and I knew right there that I should go with Face (DatFace) you can even make a tag in smash with the emoticon. Luckily I'm not good enough to be in tournaments high up so commentators don't have to fret over "How are we supposed to say -__- ?"

D

Deleted member

I was playing with some tape last summer, and the rest is history.

My other name was going to be "LSD?" because I wanted to base it off of LSD: Dream Emulator, the only game that's been able to scare me.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
not too much to really say, I was a fairly enthusiastic reader of quite a few fantasy books... one of my favorite mythical creatures in those stories was the phoenix, burns to ashes and is born again to start anew. I sort of related to that in the sense of change, how once you're been burned down, you can start over from scratch or do something different. the original number I picked at random was 501. but now and again, I found that name being taken for whatever reason, so I just went up from there... it was only later did I coincidentally discover that "502" also happens to be an internet error number, which can certainly suit my poor wifi connection

my tag in Smash, however, is "Slick" because of an initial inability to make up my mind. when I started going online and stuff, I initially tried Quicksilver (based on a super form on a Megaman X Command Mission character, not the sports brand), but later didn't want to remind people of a brand of sports stuff, so I went with "SlickSilver"...

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but when I started out, I was sort of unsure about what I'd want to establish my identity as back then...

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
ADLP are my irl initials that ive been using for games since 2006

GeZ

Smash Lord
I used to use the tag Z when I was really into brawl. I've always likes Geckos, really any lizards, so I wanted to incorporate that somehow. I noticed that Hungry Box used the tag HBox as a foreshortened version of his name and thought that was a pretty sweet idea. So I came up with GeZ, then wracked my mind to figure out what I wanted it to be short for.

And I've been hoping to come up with something ever since :drsad:

Peño

Smash Rookie
Peño is just the end of Jalapeño. My friend referred to the peppers I had on my food as peños once, and I liked it. Pretty simple there. If for some reason I can't use an ñ, I usually go with Penyo, but in Melee I have to usually use Jala since it neither has the ñ nor 5 characters for use.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
"MechWarrior" = "Mech" for my eternal favorite genre(Mecha genre BTW), "Warrior" for my mindset(I play dumb SO hard you guys wouldn't believe LOL, I could probably build a working electrostatic confinement fusion reactor out of old electronic scraps /selfdemonstrating), and "MechWarrior" for eternal favorite game in that genre, and also as a reminder of the formal title I would see de-fictionalized one day.

A random word I thought up when thinking of a band name in Guitar Hero many many years ago, then slapped my birthday on it.
I have no regrets.
Xenozoa = MetalZoa 2.0? YOU RIGHT THOUGH

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
I am Hispanic

When I was with my cousin at the time when the internet was mostly AOL and it had that loud crunching noise for the start up , his chat room name was 210stuna.

Which stands for the area code 210 - San Antonio, Texas and then a Stuna is somebody who shows off their 'bling'.
He never used it again, but ever since I've been a member of anything online, my username has been 210stuna or stuna210 from everything like Youtube, IGN, *******, and Smashboards.

My Melee/P:M tag is 210 so it fits snug like a glove. My nicknames online are 210, Stuna, Stunna, 210stunna, Tuna, and 210tuna!

My icon is a Yoshi, because I love Yoshi and I am apart of the Mexican Mafia*

I'm half kidding*

Last edited:

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
I created this username for GameFAQs long ago; at the time I was frequenting the message boards for the original Dissidia Final Fantasy, and I mained Golbez in the game. His title in the game is "Thaumaturge" and I mispelled it, but I prefer this mispelling so I've stuck with it.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'm a redhead. I got a lot of "gingers have no souls" comments. And I always used the Claus costume for Lucas in Brawl. People asked if the ginger was playing the ginger. So I decided to make the tag on the school Wii of "Ginge" to make it easier and to stop having to answer. And figured I'd use it for this forum, too, since it's my Brawl / Project M tag.

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
I chose my name because at the time, the show to watch was Jersey Shore. I gave it a shot and I totally rejected it. I was coming from animes like DBZ, Naruto, and Pokemon, they taught me life lessons like striving to be the best and never giving up and I loved what the main characters stood for. But then I saw this show and almost everyone in high school was so hype for it.

So it also happened during the weekend I was watching
Top Gun and Surf's Up and the name "Maverick" stood out and it was the coolest name I've ever heard so I searched up the meaning and it went along the lines of "eccentric, unorthodox, free-spirit, independant-minded person" and I was like, ... YES!

Also at the time whenever group projects were assigned, I was almost always the leader and one of my friends called me out giving "orders" and said, "
Whatever you say Optimus Prime."

I had a self-epiphany and realized that I was a leader going against the flow of the social norm so I had decided my name/Gamertag/ Gamer Handle from that point on would be : Optimus Maverick. ... I thought it was cool at the time but it just didnt have a ring to it. I tried playing around with it with names like: Maverick Optimus, OptiRick, OptiMav, Primus. Then I got really close with Maverick Prime so I stared at it a bit and swapped the names and added some L33TSP34K.

And thus my story of my name came to be:
Prim3MavericK
Although in Smash I use my initials "JCO"

Anything in this color or white is the tl;dr version

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
My smashboards name is from Phantasy Star.......

Smash Tag: Comes from an Anime called Mongolian Chop Squad were a band in the series was called Dying Breed and they paraphrased it once as Dyebre and I've adopted that for about a year or so now and made this account sadly days before I came up for a tag.

Peño

Smash Rookie
My smashboards name is from Phantasy Star.......

Smash Tag: Comes from an Anime called Mongolian Chop Squad were a band in the series was called Dying Breed and they paraphrased it once as Dyebre and I've adopted that for about a year or so now and made this account sadly days before I came up for a tag.
Phantasy Star is the best.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I named myself after an old chess engine I used back in the day, Chess Tigers (i think). 2612 stands for 26th of December. Playing quite a bit of chess (there were times when i practiced more, I am on ~1500 on chess.com right now, Hf2612 there) and it was my first real hobby so I identificate a bit with that game

Top Bottom